Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

All the more reason to start it at a small scale and do it region by region. If there is an outcry, it would be better to start it in a local way first, and then roll it out nationwide.

The earlier it gets done, the less it will cost. Each analogue channel costs €3m per year. That would help RTE if it happened early rather than late.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    I think it says somewhere in the Departmental stuff that it won't happen until the Department are satisfied that TV3 should start paying for the facility.

Never came across any such referance.

Comreg has said that some broadcasters could switch off their analogue service earlier than Oct 2012.
    Subject to staying within their legal obligations in terms of coverage, it may be possible for some terrestrial broadcasters to withdraw from analogue broadcasting earlier than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

All the more reason to start it at a small scale and do it region by region. If there is an outcry, it would be better to start it in a local way first, and then roll it out nationwide.

The earlier it gets done, the less it will cost. Each analogue channel costs €3m per year. That would help RTE if it happened early rather than late.

Perhaps holding on to analogue in some regions and not in others is more expensive, then just turning off analogue.

I will find the quote for you The Cush.

I assume this ASO on 31 october 2012 is just a "trial". ;) Also ASO is bring us off topic.

The following applies from the Broadcasting Act with serveral subsections above outline the same for TG4, OTV and IFB. http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/DE7C0393-76C1-42A5-A176-88C512F7AB9C/0/BroadcastingAct2009.pdf

PAGE 134
    (8) A provider of a television service designated by the Minister
    under subsection (1)(a)(iv) shall make to RTE´such periodic or other
    payments in respect of any service provided by RTE´for the purposes
    of subsection (1)(a)(iv) as the Minister, after consultation with the
    Communications Regulator, RTE´ and the provider of the television
    service, may direct.
    (9) In the event that a provider of a television service under subsection (1)(a)(iv) does not consider the digital capacity employed by
    RTE´for the purposes set out in subsection (1)(a)(iv) to be adequate,
    the Minister may, at the request of the provider, direct RTE´
    to employ a specific amount of digital capacity

Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

Yes you are.

That section you quote (Sec. 130 (8) & (9)) applies to channels other than the 4 national channels - RTÉ 1&2, TV3 and TG4 and the Oireachtas and Film channels. It would apply to other PSB channels carried on the RTÉ Muxes such as RTÉ News Now, RTÉjr etc. Basically RTÉ must pay RTÉNL for carriage of these channels and must provide them with sufficient multiplex capacity.

Sections 130 (10), (11), (12) apply to the television programme service contractor i.e. TV3 (and 3e) - which requires RTÉNL to carry them on a PSB Mux if they request it and they must be provided with sufficient mux capacity for the channel(s) and they must pay a fee for it.
    (10) The Minister shall, at the request of the Authority and after
    consultation with RTE´ require RTE´ to make provision in a multiplex
    established, maintained and operated by RTE´ under section 114(1)(i)
    for the broadcasting by digital means of the television programme
    service provided under the television programme service contract by
    the television programme service contractor.

(11) If the Minister makes a requirement of RTE´ under subsection
    (10), the television programme service contractor shall make to
    RTE´ such periodic or other payments in respect of any service provided
    by RTE´
    in meeting that requirement as the Minister, after
    consultation with the Communications Regulator, RTE´ and the television
    programme service contractor, may direct.

(12) If the Minister makes a requirement of RTE´ under subsection
    (10) and in the event that the television programme service contractor
    does not consider the digital capacity employed by RTE´ for
    the purposes of broadcasting by digital means the television programme
    service to be adequate, the Minister may, at the request of
    the television programme service contractor and after consultation
    with the Authority, direct RTE´ to employ a specific amount of digital
    capacity.

• Advertisement

I assume this ASO on 31 october 2012 is just a "trial". ;) Also ASO is bring us off topic.

Rhetorical question again I assume ;)

No specific date in Oct 2012 has been mentioned, only the month of Oct.

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes you are.

Either way it sounds to me like TV service contractor may not view Saorview as a suitable Digital transmission, particularly as a "trail" service. Perhaps TV3 are paying for both TV3 and 3e to be on saorview and fair enough to them for doing it, but I don't think they are I could be wrong and my low opinion of TV3 could be diminished. Perhaps RTÉ or TV3 might provide us with such information.

Either way it sounds to me like TV service contractor may not view Saorview as a suitable Digital transmission, particularly as a "trail" service. Perhaps TV3 are paying for both TV3 and 3e to be on saorview and fair enough to them for doing it, but I don't think they are I could be wrong and my low opinion of TV3 could be diminished. Perhaps RTÉ or TV3 might provide us with such information.

My assumption is they are not paying during the trial service but will be required to sign carriage contracts for the full public launch of Saorview - whenever that is :rolleyes:.

The assumption is based on what I posted this morning (#1315 above)

My assumption is they are not paying during the trial service but will be required to sign carriage contracts for the full public launch of Saorview - whenever that is :rolleyes:.

The assumption is based on what I posted this morning (#1315 above)

And I am going to assume that this will continue until ASO.

And I am going to assume that this will continue until ASO.

Except for one fact
    From May 2011, the following television channels and services are planned* for SAORVIEW:

*subject to carriage agreements with the relevant broadcasters.

http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/television-channels-and-services/#aertel

• Advertisement

Earlier this week RTÉ announced it scheldule of coverage for the GAA All-Ireland Championship - http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2011/0509/gaa09052011.html

No mention of HD coverage, I would have thought this would be a big headline for RTÉ this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Earlier this week RTÉ announced it scheldule of coverage for the GAA All-Ireland Championship - http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2011/0509/gaa09052011.html

No mention of HD coverage, I would have thought this would be a big headline for RTÉ this year.

Well, no. This digital thingy is not known or spoken about on air, except for the odd time. Outside of that, no-one know nothing.

Well, no. This digital thingy is not known or spoken about on air, except for the odd time. Outside of that, no-one know nothing.

True, they probably did launch Saorview today but just told no one outside the inner circle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

True, they probably did launch Saorview today but just told no one outside the inner circle :D
    From my experience of Montrose it's very much left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Except for one fact

Yeah that TV3 will continue to be on air for free, I think thats a fair agreement between RTÉNL and TV3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I did read somewhere a quote from some guy in RTÉ that the RWC games from New Zealand this autumn will be shown in HD. Quote:
    "Communications manager for Saorview Rory Coveney says one of the most exciting parts of the package is the arrival of high definition version of RTE Two.

“It’s not a full HD service but we expect about 40 per cent of the channel to be in HD, for example in September the finals of both the Hurling and Football Championships and the Rugby World Cup and high-end acquisitions like Desperate Housewives, wildlife programmes and movies will be in HD,” he said."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/money/general/free-digital-tv-service-to-launch-in-ireland.html
    Make of that what you wish;)

I did read somewhere a quote from some guy in RTÉ that the RWC games from New Zealand this autumn will be shown in HD. Quote:
    "Communications manager for Saorview Rory Coveney says one of the most exciting parts of the package is the arrival of high definition version of RTE Two.

Rory Coveney on "Four Live" about a month ago - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71559671

Now that May 11th has passed I guess its back to the original plan
    “This public information campaign will explain how people can easily make the switch to the new SAORVIEW service and enjoy the benefits of free digital television. The SAORVIEW service will be launched at the end of May this year,” she* concluded.

[*Mary Curtis, Director of Digital Switchover, RTÉ]

http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-launches-public-information-campaign/

From my experience of Montrose it's very much left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I do not think the left hand realises that there is a right hand, let alone what it is doing.

They launched a 'National DAB Service' with great trumpeting, and that it was available nationwide, as long as you lived in Dublin, Kildare, Limerick, or Cork. They mention the availability of programmes on this service frequently, but they have never mentioned that the same set of channels is available nationwide on the Saorview system. [And by nationwide for the Saorview service, I think they are available to well over 95% of the population, armed with the appropriate receiver].

Now that May 11th has passed I guess its back to the original plan

Someone at that meeting said May 11, and people jump to the conclusion that it was the 11th May not May 2011. IMO.
    They launched a 'National DAB Service' with great trumpeting, and that it was available nationwide, as long as you lived in Dublin, Kildare, Limerick, or Cork. They mention the availability of programmes on this service frequently, but they have never mentioned that the same set of channels is available nationwide on the Saorview system. [And by nationwide for the Saorview service, I think they are available to well over 95% of the population, armed with the appropriate receiver].

I have heard some DJs on 2xm on 2fm mention that they are available on DAB, online, UPC and Saorview.

• Advertisement

Someone at that meeting said May 11, and people jump to the conclusion that it was the 11th May not May 2011. IMO.

Not just someone at any old meeting. It was the RTÉNL people at a Saorview trade event at the beginning of April.

Both Black Briar and scaller attended and post information about the event. Discussion starts here.

Not just someone at any old meeting. It was the RTÉNL people at a Saorview trade event at the beginning of April.

Both Black Briar and scaller attended and post information about the event. Discussion starts here.

I know and I did ask weather it was a definite date of 11th May or May '11?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

For a while before the 1 o'clock news the RTE ONE dog had changed to RTE ONE+1. Could we see the launch of the +1 channel @ 7pm today?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

For a while before the 1 o'clock news the RTE ONE dog had changed to RTE ONE+1. Could we see the launch of the +1 channel @ 7pm today?
    Still on at the moment. Not far away from launch i'd say.

Epg info on channel 7 now says programmes start at 07.00 and channel 8 programmes start at 19.00 so maybe RTE jr and RTE+1 aren't far away from launch.

Epg info on channel 7 now says programmes start at 07.00 and channel 8 programmes start at 19.00 so maybe RTE jr and RTE+1 aren't far away from launch.

Already happened a few weeks ago.

Here is a HD promo for a mixed HD channel from RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 called HD Ireland.

Yes epg info appeared a couple of weeks ago but was only on for a couple of hours and then disappeared until now. It will be interesting to see how long the epg info lasts this time. HD Ireland is this a planned channel by RTE,TV3 and TG4 for the future?

Yes epg info appeared a couple of weeks ago but was only on for a couple of hours and then disappeared until now. It will be interesting to see how long the epg info lasts this time. HD Ireland is this a planned channel by RTE,TV3 and TG4 for the future?

If they rename the channels as RTÉJR and RTÉ 1 +1 we should get excited.

No possibly suggested by somebody and refused out right by TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Still reading as "Test Service" from Mullaghanish ?

• Advertisement

I would love to see TV3 and RTE pull their resources together and launch a bouquet of channels on the second mux but TV3 would most likely kill the idea. This would make Saorview a bit more attractive to the consumer.

Advertisement