Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Seriously I thought this was an April Fool :rolleyes:

Unlikely to be Saorview TBH.

The EPG on UPC states that ITV have an exclusive deal with another service provider it doesn't mention Irish or Multinational.

TV3/3e will be delighted with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Is the other 'service provider' not TV3/3e? Do they not show programmes which also appear on ITV2/3/4??
    UPC wrote:
    ITV has an exclusive rights arrangement with another Irish channel provider for ITV programming content.

Apogee wrote: »
    Is the other 'service provider' not TV3/3e? Do they not show programmes which also appear on ITV2/3/4??

Well TV3 don't provide much programming from either ITV3 or 4. ITV1 and 2 yes unless TV3 are planning 3F and 3G. And in fairness to TV3 (I know what has happened) the schedule bar the soaps, xfactor and other talent shows it doesn't resemble ITV service at all.

So you know that it wasn't TV3 complaining about UPC infringing their programme rights by showing the same programmes on ITV2/3/4?

Who complained then?

So you know that it wasn't TV3 complaining about UPC infringing their programme rights by showing the same programmes on ITV2/3/4?

Who complained then?

UTV is still on the service. The audience for ITV 1, 2, 3 and 4 is about 6% (including UTVs 4% share), I don't see why TV3 should complain has they have a 15% share (during Xfactor etc). Perhaps TV3 are planning to move them selfs from Terrestrial and made a deal with UPC and Sky as long as the removed ITV from their systems, not an issue for Sky.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    UTV is still on the service. The audience for ITV 1, 2, 3 and 4 is about 6% (including UTVs 4% share), I don't see why TV3 should complain has they have a 15% share (during Xfactor etc).

I'm unclear. You know that it wasn't TV3, or you've concluded that it wasn't TV3?

I'm unclear. You know that it wasn't TV3, or you've concluded that it wasn't TV3?

Just concluding. Look it's the first time I have supported TV3 give me a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah I have also heard this that ITV plan a huge investment into Irish TV. TV3 have are up in arms and UTV has welcomed the move. ITV's Corronation Street licence was covering 3E repeats but TV3 refused to broadcast it on the channel thus ITV have choosen to put ITV2 on Saorview and remove their ITV content from TV3. This may lead to ITV1 airing on Saorview as ITV1 Ireland.

Launching on Apr 1 by any chance?

kuro_man wrote: »
    Launching on Apr 1 by any chance?

Another Channel provider according to UPC not another Service provider. I guess TV3 are getting a load of ITV programmes over the coming year.

With all of this happening I am assuming that TV3 have put forward a TV service of their own in addition to TV3 and 3E. As Magnet have added Oireactas Proceedings to their Free Internet service I assume that they have also suggests some Soarview channels. (Russia Today is also available for Free via Magnet web TV).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Oireactas is available without Magnet.
    Has been for years. Multiple qualities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

With the loss of ITV's 2,3 & 4 services on UPC, can we expect new channels to appear on Saorview under the ITV name or is it just plainly that TV3 are to acquire more of ITV's shows and air them on either TV3 or 3e?

Reason for asking is that my gut feeling is that we'll never see ITV or BBC broadcasting via Saorview - Of course I hope I'm wrong there

Manc-Red wrote: »
    With the loss of ITV's 2,3 & 4 services on UPC, can we expect new channels to appear on Saorview under the ITV name or is it just plainly that TV3 are to acquire more of ITV's shows and air them on either TV3 or 3e?

Reason for asking is that my gut feeling is that we'll never see ITV or BBC broadcasting via Saorview - Of course I hope I'm wrong there

TV3 may have bought more ITV programmes hence the asked that ITV be removed from UPC. I would say if TV3 do launch a new channel it will be a mix of ITV3 and 4, and will have a TV3 brand.

TV3
    3e
    3classics
    3men

I pointed out oirechtas because it has been added to Magnet recently, not because it has been available elsewhere for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

I would urge caution at the moment. It seems that websites are speculating over each others stories without any of them providing confirmation or sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

jamescc wrote: »

Whats the point of that?? All itv services are already free to air on astra 28.2e? what would sky and itv gain? or is it tv3 trying to shut out itv/utv from the market in the republic?

Whats the point of that?? All itv services are already free to air on astra 28.2e? what would sky and itv gain? or is it tv3 trying to shut out itv/utv from the market in the republic?

A lot of people don't know they can be manually tuned on Sky, Sky don't list them as available channels. Also, you can't record, pause or rewind them. So it would still be in Sky's interest to have them on the EPG.

Karsini wrote: »
    A lot of people don't know they can be manually tuned on Sky, Sky don't list them as available channels. Also, you can't record, pause or rewind them. So it would still be in Sky's interest to have them on the EPG.

ye can record and pause with a pc tuner setup or certain freesat boxes i believe so there are options beyond getting sky plus or skys recording system - still it wouldnt be the worst if it was on the sky epg but i seriously doubt it will be on saorview :(

ye can record and pause with a pc tuner setup or certain freesat boxes i believe so there are options beyond getting sky plus or skys recording system - still it wouldnt be the worst if it was on the sky epg but i seriously doubt it will be on saorview :(
    I'm specifically referring to Sky hardware.

Using a DVD recorder or PC is an analogue recording, therefore a drop in quality is expected. It's unlikely that Sky subscribers would also have a Freesat box, except maybe as a box for a second room. It would make business sense for Sky to have as many channels as possible - it's not their fault why these channels aren't in the Irish EPG, it's up to the broadcaster to make them available.

I'm specifically referring to Sky hardware.

Using a DVD recorder or PC is an analogue recording, therefore a drop in quality is expected. It's unlikely that Sky subscribers would also have a Freesat box, except maybe as a box for a second room. It would make business sense for Sky to have as many channels as possible - it's not their fault why these channels aren't in the Irish EPG, it's up to the broadcaster to make them available.

PC can be HD actually - i have a DVB-S2 tuner and I recoreded Wonders of the Universe off BBC HD in HD quality mate for example. The right setup can give you full and proper recording capibility. Still indeed if you have sky as well like I do or you just have sky it would be nice to have itv on the epg. No doubts but there are many good ways to record stuff without having to have sky eqipment.

Shall be interesting to see where the itv lineup ends up though :D Would be awesome if it would be on Saorview but TV3 will pull out the stops to prevent that if it is going to happen which i doubt eitherway

• Advertisement

PC can be HD actually - i have a DVB-S2 tuner and I recoreded Wonders of the Universe off BBC HD in HD quality mate. The right setup can give you full and proper recording capibility.

Duh, you're right. Was thinking of STB to PC via capture card there... I'll blame this fever I have at the moment :p

Duh, you're right. Was thinking of STB to PC via capture card there... I'll blame this fever I have at the moment :p

Ah tis cool mate. I didnt even give the details of my setup in my original posting so how were you to know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

I'd to see BBC 3 and 4 (especially 4) on the EPG for the same reason.

According to UPC it isn't any of the TV service providers rather it is a TV channel provider. I think that is code for TV3 asked ITV not to enter into the Irish market. Again this doesn't make much sense when ITV don't sell advertising. It would have made more sense for TV3 to ask ITV if it could sell Irish advertising for them as they do for Universal Channel and E!.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Saorview...Channel 7...the temporary service until 18th April.....and SD version of RTE 2....today is showing an RTENL Test card instead of the SD version of RTE 2...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Saorview...Channel 7...the temporary service until 18th April.....and SD version of RTE 2....today is showing an RTENL Test card instead of the SD version of RTE 2...:confused:
    It will most likely be back on around 5pm. This is the first weekend RTE 2 temp has been on a test card so it looks like a slow wind up of the service. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hibrasil wrote: »

I agree with glimmerman123, this is the first weekend that I've seen RTÉ 2 Temporary go to testcard, it always duplicates RTÉ 2 1080i programming for the full weekend.

During the week, Mon to Fri, the testcard is there until about 5pm in the evening.

1 2 weeks to the end of the Temporary RTÉ 2 channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The Cush wrote: »

1 week to the end of the Temporary RTÉ 2 channel.
    Eh - maybe two weeks 18-3 = 15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fat-tony wrote: »
    Eh - maybe two weeks 18-3 = 15 :D

Ooops, 2 weeks of course. :D

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    I agree with glimmerman123, this is the first weekend that I've seen RTÉ 2 Temporary go to testcard, it always duplicates RTÉ 2 1080i programming for the full weekend.

During the week, Mon to Fri, the testcard is there until about 5pm in the evening.

1 2 weeks to the end of the Temporary RTÉ 2 channel.

I have seen the test card on a number of occasions. The Temp channel has not been a full time simulcast.

Advertisement