Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

rurs wrote: »
    EPG on Test channels now have "Programmes start at 07.00" on one "Programmes start at 19.00" the other. So the time share theory is playing out.
    Is it still saying 07.00 and 19.00 because the epg info on my Panasonic idtv says test channel on both channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Is it still saying 07.00 and 19.00 because the epg info on my Panasonic idtv says test channel on both channels.

You're right, it's gone back to "Test Service", also big gaps on the other channels, (nothing for the rest of today).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Black Briar was referring to the official launch of Saorview on May eleventh. They may not announce anything until launch day.

???? Is Saorview not launched?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    ???? Is Saorview not launched?????

Officially it's a trial service since 29th Oct last.
    From 29th October 2010 SAORVIEW will be turned on as a trial service and will be available to 90% of the population.

In spring 2011, RTÉ will launch a new national free-to-air digital television service, named SAORVIEW.

http://www.rtenl.ie/broadcast/saorview-digital-television.html

The Cush wrote: »
    Officially it's a trial service since 29th Oct last.

That's if you ignore the SI.

• Advertisement

That's if you ignore the SI.

No, the SI required the national multiplex to be operational and available free-to-air to approximately 90 per cent of the population by 31st October 2010.

It was operational and available by that date and probably in excess of the 90% requirement.

I've had a constant service since that date and before.

Remember this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074243
    Written Answers - Broadcasting Services
    Tuesday, 16 November 2010

336. Deputy Paul Gogarty asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources given that he has signed an order under the Broadcasting Act 2009 requiring RTE to ensure that their free to air digital terrestrial television service is operational and available to 90% of the population by 31 October 2010; if this is now the case; the information being actively provided by his office, ComReg, RTE and others informing customers about the rollout and the way to tune in and so on; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): It is the responsibility of my Department, in conjunction with RTE, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI), ComReg and other stakeholders to progress the digital switch-over process so that it meets the 2012 timeline for analogue switch off.

Accordingly, I imposed, by order, a requirement on RTÉ to make its public service DTT multiplex available to 90% of the population from 31 October 2010. RTE launched the DTT trial service, Saorview, to 90% of the population on the 29th October 2010. This trial service is available to the public and currently broadcasts RTE1, RTE Two, TV3, TG4 and the RTÉ News Now service. RTÉ is proposing a full national launch in the second quarter of 2011. Further information on the RTÉ DTT service is available on www.saorview.ie. Information on the launch is also available from the DCENR website www.digitaltelevision.ie.

I believe that this RTE trial service is essential as it provides time for the DTT network to be completed, services to be fully developed and for additional content and receivers to be made available. It also means that TV viewers can choose to adopt the new service at the earliest opportunity.

I have also developed a steering group, chaired by my Department and comprising members from RTE, BAI, ComReg and other stakeholders, in order to progress the digital switch-over process and to ensure that information and advice is made available to TV viewers in a timely and cost-effective manner.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2010/11/16/00258.asp#N2

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I noticed today that the EPG on my Samsung TV with DTT has NO INFORMATION displayed from 11th May. Up to this point it has TEST SERVICE described in EPG. The EPG is populated for all other channels well past the 11th May - more clues that 11th May is date of launch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

even the day before that on channel 8

I noticed today that the EPG on my Samsung TV with DTT has NO INFORMATION displayed from 11th May. Up to this point it has TEST SERVICE described in EPG. The EPG is populated for all other channels well past the 11th May - more clues that 11th May is date of launch ?
    jamescc wrote: »
    even the day before that on channel 8

And "No Event Information" on the RTÉ News Now channels from 0900 on Tue 10th May similar to the epg#8 test service.

but would the children's programes on rte2 not have been changed they are still there

• Advertisement

but would the children's programes on rte2 not have been changed they are still there

Children's programming on RTÉ 2 will remain unchanged and TRTÉ remains on RTÉ 2 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71781377#post71781377.

The schedule for RTÉ 2 children's programmes and the RTÉjr channel will be different.

The plan for the RTÉjr channel is it will broadcast on weekdays only until May 2012 (Phase 2). Programmes will start at 1100 and end at 1900. The programmes will be a simulcast of of RTÉ2's 0900-1200 RTÉjr-block (0900-1400), repeating until 1900.

A new schedule is planned for the RTÉjr channel and the RTÉ 2 RTÉjr-block from May 2012 (phase 2).

that's true , unless sky and upc add these channels we will just have to wait and see what happens

that's true , unless sky and upc add these channels we will just have to wait and see what happens

UPC already have TRTÉ/RTÉjr on 601 and Cula4 on 602. I imagine at UPC will prob give TRTÉ is own EPG place.

UPC and Sky should not be plicated any more then they already are by Irish Broadcasters.

UPC and Sky should not be plicated any more then they already are by Irish Broadcasters.[/QUOTE]

i did see about upc after i posted not having upc my self.
    could you explain above statement as i do not under stand it.
    sorry

james

i did see about upc after i posted not having upc my self.
    could you explain above statement as i do not under stand it.
    sorry

james

UPC and Sky don't have to take RTÉ Two HD, RTÉjr, RTÉ 1+1. I don't really understand why UPC can opt-out but it seems to be the case that RTÉ can offer but UPC can refuse the offer. Sky are out of the control of Irish Regulators and often provide little gestures to avoid what little regulation they could have.

If UPC and Sky both refuse RTÉjr, RTÉ should not continue with RTÉ Two in its current format after May next year purely down to the fact that Sky and UPC are unwilling to take the channel.

In terms of new Irish broadcasters I have a feeling that UPC and Sky really would prevent such channels as they would ask them to pay to be on UPC and Sky yet pay to have multinational channels on their services.

The BAI and ComReg both have some control of UPC and should really force them to take the new RTÉ channels, while the minister should talk to his counterpart in the UK for Sky regulation.

Sorry for the use of the word plicate I think I have it misspelled, it means to keep them happy, say nothing and sure it will be grand. At least that is how I use the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

There is no way in this wide earthly world that I could see Sky refusing carriage of any additional RTE channels. In fact it's Sky that would be placating RTE by carrying them.
    I'm no Sky fanboy - in fact they drive me mad sometimes, but I remember when we had no competition in channel providers - god forbid we go back to those days. Sky brought digital, widscreen, interactive, HD and a decent picture to Ireland when we had .. cable - remember ?
    How long would it have for the providers of the day to catch up if Sky went UK only? Sky deserve any brickbats that come their way, but they've done a lot indirectly to improve things here.

There is no way in this wide earthly world that I could see Sky refusing carriage of any additional RTE channels.

If they don't I don't see why RTÉ should retain the current RTÉ Two Morning and Afternoon schedule.

I thought RTÉ had widescreen in the mid-1990s.

personally i do not like sky now i live in a house where my mother and brother have sky (they must be mad) in my own room i have the aerial attached to a walker box and a seperate box for sat .

questions is would sky/upc have to pay rte for extra channels or other way around. and as for rte i think that there is tooo many talk shows how much would they save getting rid of them.

questions is would sky/upc have to pay rte for extra channels or other way around. and as for rte i think that there is tooo many talk shows how much would they save getting rid of them.

No Sky will not pay for RTÉ to be on their Bonus package but they pay for BBC and Channel 4 to be there. TV3 are possibly lucky not to be paying for 3e on the service. Most other multinational channels are paid for by Sky and UPC to be on there platform, in particular pay TV channels.

Also how long before RTÉ 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 appeared on Sky Digital in Ireland? Though in fairness both Sky and Virgin have been good enough to provide RTÉ and TG4 in NI.

Are you talking about TLLS and The Saturday Night Show? Or their Daytime ones? or Current Affairs?

the late late show
    saturday show
    the den or something like that

i'm sure that there are one or two other now granted they may not all be on rte

what are tlls

• Advertisement

what are tlls

The Den? TLLS = The Late Late Show.

Generally cheap to make and provide advertising even with over paid presenters.

i'm just not a lover of talk show just me
    and i can't remember the full name of the other show or what station it is on .

i'm just not a lover of talk show just me
    and i can't remember the full name of the other show or what station it is on .

Now that I remember it is probable best you don't HAHA
    Wagon's Den

dragons den

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

:( Less than 48 hours to "official launch" and no sign of RTE JR, RTE1+1, a Saorview Epg and most important of all, Series Link. Lot of work to do between now and Wednesday or it will be a damp squid of a launch.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Series Link.

This will be further down the road I would say. And don't expect either RTÉ 1+1 or RTÉjr on Wednesday.
    dragons den

Replace the first D with a W. Drangon's Den isn't a Chat Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

This will be further down the road I would say. And don't expect either RTÉ 1+1 or RTÉjr on Wednesday.

Then what the hell is launching on Wednesday ? It's like a motor company launching a new car, but telling you the wheels and lights won't be available for another couple of months ! Can't we do anything right in this country ?
    So all that's happening on Wednesday, is the "official trial" is turning into an "official launch", but with some of the most important components still missing ? It could only happen in Ireland.

:( Less than 48 hours to "official launch" and no sign of RTE JR, RTE1+1, a Saorview Epg and most important of all, Series Link. Lot of work to do between now and Wednesday or it will be a damp squid of a launch.

All the official launch means is the DTT service is fully operational and not subject to interruption as the present trial service is. Most transmitters go to full power if reports are to be believed.

New channels or services aren't a prerequisite for Saorview's full public launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

A bit of a joke alright it would not surprise me if they launch them in the middle of the night when everyones in bed and all our tvs are switched off. I'm not expecting much to happen Wednesday anyway. If they had more channels there would most likely be a bigger fuss and a definite launch date. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the major change on Wednesday is that Cat and Dog advert will start telling us something new. Has not told us anything so far, so I'm not sure what the next message will be, but I can't wait for it.:(

Advertisement