Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people. What do foreign people think of us?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Perhaps start a new thread asking foreign people what they think of ireland would help? I think the "Irish only" title followed by a cascade of mutual backslapping about how great everyone thinks ireland is followed by a barrage of anti-foreigner sentiment was only ever going to end one way...

Ireland has it's good points, and it's bad points. It's nice people and it's idiots - exactly the same as everywhere else as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Does anyone else not think it might be beneficial to hear our bad points so we can improve on them? It´s not as if anyone is telling us anything we didn´t already know if we were honest with ourselves. And what happened to this famous Irish sense of humour...surely we should be able to just take what is said to us on the chin?

The worst comment I´ve heard repeatedly from foreigners is that we drink too much, which in turn leads to all kinds of problem...fights, noisiness, puking on streets, causing a rucas generally...if you´re repeatedly told the same thing is wrong with you over and over again, you know there MIGHT be an element of truth to it and instead of getting all defensive, why not try and be a better ambassador for your country when you´re abroad?

There´s no country in the world that doesn´t have its good and bad points, so why should we be any different? When I say, "we" I mean all of us. You can´t single yourself out as different like Teacher30 did and speak of your own country as "them" (by the way Teacher30, kids aren´t stupid, they know when a teacher doesn´t like them...why should they respect you when you don´t respect them and give them a chance? Encouraging to hear nothing has changed since my day...people still becoming teachers when they don´t even like children :rolleyes:).

Saying all that, I don´t think any country likes to hear its negatives. It´s a bit like an outsider slagging off your family....you´re perfectly entitled to do it but they aren´t. If this is the case, then don´t ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Does anyone else not think it might be beneficial to hear our bad points so we can improve on them? It´s not as if anyone is telling us anything we didn´t already know if we were honest with ourselves. And what happened to this famous Irish sense of humour...surely we should be able to just take what is said to us on the chin?

The worst comment I´ve heard repeatedly from foreigners is that we drink too much, which in turn leads to all kinds of problem...fights, noisiness, puking on streets, causing a rucas generally...if you´re repeatedly told the same thing is wrong with you over and over again, you know there MIGHT be an element of truth to it and instead of getting all defensive, why not try and be a better ambassador for your country when you´re abroad?

Agreed.

Some people can't understand that negative criticism can be used as constructive criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Saying all that, I don´t think any country likes to hear its negatives. It´s a bit like an outsider slagging off your family....you´re perfectly entitled to do it but they aren´t. If this is the case, then don´t ask the question.

Yes, sometimes you have to rationalise and reason that the things (even though they are not pleasant to hear) are true. Rather then saying they should not be said or thought (by foreign people or Irish people about Irish people) maybe it should be considered how they can changed.

Sometimes we can be very blinkered or defensive about the (negative) truth about they way we are or they way we are seen by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ricardo G wrote: »
    One thing that bugs me to the core is "you are English?" or "are you English" whilst on holidays in Spain..... Went there for a week a fortnight ago and was asked god knows how many times ! Not that i have anything against the English but why foreigners always assume you are English is beyond me :(.

The response is 'Is Gael mé'.

If they looking confused, keep shouting the word 'Gael', all the time increasing in pitch until you are screaming in their ear.

You won't be asked about English again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Continental

Fishie wrote: »
    Stop trying to insinuate that I don't know any geography. Wibbs managed to respond to my post thoughtfully without being insulting, why can't you? I've admitted I made a generalisation, so drop it. I'm bored of this conversation, I'm sure other people are as well. You spelled embarrassing with one 's' in one of your posts and I'm not going on and on about it

Irish people can't spell. Don't know grammar either.

caseyann wrote: »
    For you its what it translates to,for me its a description of a person who is from another country not same origins as my own,of no ignorance no bad manners and i refer to myself as that when i am abroad living.

p.s no one said Irish are perfect and didnt have assholes( so does every country in world) alot of non national women stick together unless they have no one of same nationality,then forced to make friends with locals is when they do.But to say like that girl did,How she was been used by Irish girls cause she attracted Irish men:eek: sounds very up her self to me.Should be her judged on that comment not the girls who tried to be friends with her.:rolleyes:

Sorry,this might be a misinterpretation of what I said. I am not a conceited person and I do not think I am the most beautiful woman in the world. Surely other women do not need me to get men. But that is what they said to me. I apologize if that offends you.
    One of those girls is my son's godmother. My son does not even know what she looks like. I have tried to keep in contact before. Lost hope...

Still I think that you can not make a deep friendship with an Irish person. Everything is fine when drinking and laughing in the pub, people talk a lot but you cannot have a meaningful conversation because Irish people avoid certain subjects like fire... It is a very small country and maybe you are scared of what other people might think about you which I understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I'm scared of the irish. After reading boards for a while, seems like quite a few are still stuck in the middle ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

[/B]

Sorry,this might be a misinterpretation of what I said. I am not a conceited person and I do not think I am the most beautiful woman in the world. Surely other women do not need me to get men. But that is what they said to me. I apologize if that offends you.
    One of those girls is my son's godmother. My son does not even know what she looks like. I have tried to keep in contact before. Lost hope...

Still I think that you can not make a deep friendship with an Irish person. Everything is fine when drinking and laughing in the pub, people talk a lot but you cannot have a meaningful conversation because Irish people avoid certain subjects like fire... It is a very small country and maybe you are scared of what other people might think about you which I understand.

Sorry to hear that.Maybe you should tell her how you feel.You know some people dont realise unless told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

I didn't get to read all the posts so may be repeating here but I guess a couple of things that strike me about Ireland are:

people use "the craic" as a get of out jail card to excuse loutish behaviour, and anyone who doesn't find it all hilarious has no sense of humour. BS.

Irish people often do not take personal responsibility for things. It's always everyone else's fault.

I have been around people who threw litter on the ground and when I questioned them they said "oh it's someone's job to pick it up". Litter is a huge problem in Ireland. The people who throw litter most likely would freak out if you dropped a crumb in their house!!

In certain European countries paying fares for public transport works on a an honour system. Would that work in Ireland? Doubt it everyone would be dying to get one over on the system.

My friend from the US was shocked how often Irish people ring in sick here. People would be planning and calculating their sick days in advance and planning trips away. This was also seen as getting one over on the boss, company whatever but in reality its often other collegeagues who are left to pick up pieces.

On a company night out recently one guys started ordering triple vodka' "because it was free" then tried to put a pack of smokes on the tab!! Cringe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

[/B]

Of course it´s possible if you´re open to it but it sounds like you´ve decided to give up even trying to connect with us. I have good friends that I met in Ireland from different countries that I´m still in touch with. Not all of us are so superficial. Maybe avoid the people who spend all their spare time in the pub. I do know what you´re saying though...I´ve met plenty of people on nights out who wouldn´t even say "hello" if they bumped into me the following day...these are a certain type of individual who is probably not very happy with themselves and depends on alcohol for confidence. I guess a lot of Irish are innately lacking in the self-esteem department, more so than other Europeans I´ve met. Perhaps try other places to meet friends that don´t involve getting drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I've been to Germany on my last time abroad and find some of those rude and some very friendly. I wouldn't generalise them as being friendly or unfriendly. If somebody is rude towards me I don't care anyway I'll just be my mannerly self..

If I was to generalise I'd put a positive spin on things. Nobody likes negative Nellys ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Scenario,in another country,they dont give damn what we think about them or how they live or how friendly or not they are,i dont get why anyone gives a damn what anyone else thinks based on individuals they have met.

Only thing i will say is alot of Irish people seem to be to into people pleasing and worrying what any one else has to say about them.So basically without a doubt the stupidest country in world.Taking slagging and insults from someone who wouldnt afford anyone from Ireland to make the same ridiculous generalisations about their people.

Irish sure are great they will get slagged and enjoy it lmao <<<< that is what my non national friends say.

caseyann wrote: »
    Scenario,in another country,they dont give damn what we think about them or how they live or how friendly or not they are,i dont get why anyone gives a damn what anyone else thinks based on individuals they have met.

Only thing i will say is alot of Irish people seem to be to into people pleasing and worrying what any one else has to say about them.So basically without a doubt the stupidest country in world.Taking slagging and insults from someone who wouldnt afford anyone from Ireland to make the same ridiculous generalisations about their people.

Irish sure are great they will get slagged and enjoy it lmao <<<< that is what my non national friends say.

Yep, that's my husband

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    I didn't get to read all the posts so may be repeating here but I guess a couple of things that strike me about Ireland are:

people use "the craic" as a get of out jail card to excuse loutish behaviour, and anyone who doesn't find it all hilarious has no sense of humour. BS.

Irish people often do not take personal responsibility for things. It's always everyone else's fault.

I have been around people who threw litter on the ground and when I questioned them they said "oh it's someone's job to pick it up". Litter is a huge problem in Ireland. The people who throw litter most likely would freak out if you dropped a crumb in their house!!

In certain European countries paying fares for public transport works on a an honour system. Would that work in Ireland? Doubt it everyone would be dying to get one over on the system.

My friend from the US was shocked how often Irish people ring in sick here. People would be planning and calculating their sick days in advance and planning trips away. This was also seen as getting one over on the boss, company whatever but in reality its often other collegeagues who are left to pick up pieces.

On a company night out recently one guys started ordering triple vodka' "because it was free" then tried to put a pack of smokes on the tab!! Cringe!

Yes, main excuse the drink. It is OK if you're Irish again, not from any other countries. You have the privilege!!!

topper75 wrote: »
    The response is 'Is Gael mé'.

If they looking confused, keep shouting the word 'Gael', all the time increasing in pitch until you are screaming in their ear.

You won't be asked about English again.

Yep, they probably think you are Finnish or mad! People do not know about accents, so as long as they speak English they go for that. You do not know about foreign accents either, so say nothing. I actually now feel sorry for the English. They take all all the blame if something goes wrong, and I never hear anybody from Scotland, Wales or Ireland say, sorry... it is our fault. They only say that when they ask them the typical question... and they are not in trouble.. otherwise they say nothing, it suits you guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jc_eire

I'm Irish and proud but after living in Europe the first thing most Europeans think of when they think of the Irish is our propensity to drink quite a lot, which annoyed me cos I don't drink much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Im Swedish, I've lived here for a good few years now.I absolutely love it. And the Irish men are just yum;):pac:

Sure its different from back home, I think Irish people arent usually that organised, but you get used to it.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

I think they think were all alcoholics & not very attractive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

cat_dog wrote: »
    I think they think were all alcoholics & not very attractive :pac:

You know what's funny though, I'm ugly and fat and never get looked at twice here, but in Italy, Spain and France I get followed and hassled and whistled at constantly, even if I'm with men. It scares me and I hate it, but it's interesting that maybe they see fair skin and hair as exotic and attractive the way we see their tans and dark eyes as exotic and attractive?

We might not seem so ugly to foreigners. in fact, a few of the foreign students I know have said that Irish girsl are pretty except for the awful make up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

rantyface wrote: »
    You know what's funny though, I'm ugly and fat and never get looked at twice here, but in Italy, Spain and France I get followed and hassled and whistled at constantly, even if I'm with men. It scares me and I hate it, but it's interesting that maybe they see fair skin and hair as exotic and attractive the way we see their tans and dark eyes as exotic and attractive?

We might not seem so ugly to foreigners. in fact, a few of the foreign students I know have said that Irish girsl are pretty except for the awful make up!

I think there is something to the whole "ooh it's exotic" factor...I currently live in a city where there are hardly any non-white people, and people are weirdly fascinated by me when I go out (I look vaguely Brazilian-ish). At home, I don't really stand out.

And, as a foreigner, I think the Irish are pretty good looking (especially the dark hair/blazing blue eyes combo, mmmm), but yeah the makeup/spray-on tan thing is out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vikcez

Ahhh Lads, i am Lithuanian and i live in Ireland now for 8 years. Irish are great!!!! And if anyone says ****e about you people it's not true!!! I have only 2 Lithuanian friends, and rest are Irish. I enjoy it here. My mum was here for a holiday, she loved it. I brought her to my mates, people i know, maybe there is some language barrier, but i don't think that is biggest issue, biggest issue is that for some strange reason not a lot of foreign people socialize together, i am going to pub with my mates and i could see that a lot of foreign people would be only in '' their circle''. I live in Meath, but have traveled a lot, around Ireland. My last word Irish are same People like everyone else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sethasaurus

Willbbz wrote: »
    The 12yr old community of xbox live seems to think our currency is potatoes..

I wish :rolleyes:

Also, your potatoes are $hite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Kya1976 wrote: »
    Im Swedish, I've lived here for a good few years now.I absolutely love it. And the Irish men are just yum;):pac:

hey, yyyyeah - you know I've a Swedish bone structure too

and if you ever sign up again, then sign me up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭KegglesMcS

The swedes think we are drunks and the Aussies hate us!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

outside a few of the english speaking countries, we're probably seen as a branch of england.

For those of you that have never been to Croatia, Austria, Laos, Equador or Estonia, do you even think about those places?
    I'm sure they all have their qualities, just like ireland, but in reality that is about as interesting we are to non-irish descendants.

I don't know how we manage to delude ourselves that we're on the forefront of the world's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Fair play Vikcez, glad you're enjoying it here. And you picked the best county to live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I often get the cold shoulder in France until they realise I'm Irish. Then you can't shut them up.

Common old enemy I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Joke is it was the Norman French that screwed over both us and the English.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I work and have worked with french for a number of years, I also holiday there almost every year. The whole, they (and germans) love us because we're not english is a pathetic myth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement