Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people. What do foreign people think of us?

Options
  • 02-05-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭

Seriously, please tell us of your experiences in this country.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

It's a load of me houp . It's Summer! And more clouds in the sky than winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

We're not as well liked as we like to think.

From my experience travelling, one of the reasons we are not liked is because, we think we're great craic. The truth is, that many Irish folk make absolute tits of themselves when backpacking.

It's embarassing sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I know some others outside our state are scratching their heads and asking "How the hell did we fcuk things up so badly?"
    Some are amazed at how we went perhaps from one extreme to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LiGhTz OuT

Americans think were alcoholics and leprachauns lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

From my travels, most people are of the opinion that we're drunkards and violent.

Also whenever I told people I was in the army they asked me about Gerry Adams, so they probably think we're terrorists too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

LiGhTz OuT wrote: »
    Americans think were alcoholics and leprachauns lol

who get into fights all the time and only eat potatoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

kraggy wrote: »

From my experience travelling, one of the reasons we are not liked is because, we think we're great craic. The truth is, that many Irish folk make absolute tits of themselves when backpacking.

It's embarassing sometimes.

Amen to that!.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

who gives a fcuk what they think of us??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

from my experience many people get the irish and scots confused for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

From my experience travelling, one of the reasons we are not liked is because, we think we're great craic.

I wouldn't agree with that. I remember from my days travelling getting plenty of positive attention on account of my Irish nationality despite the fact that I'm a cúnt.

Certain sections of the globe mind you - Oz, North America, Continental Europe.

Irishness is unlikely to make any significant impression on the locals in Africa or South America in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

people over here think we're always great fun, love the drink and the girls think we all sound like Gerard Butler in P.S. I Love You

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was speaking to a nice american girl online recently and her entire view of Ireland was based on the film Leap Year.

Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Rabies wrote: »
    people over here think we're always great fun, love the drink and the girls think we all sound like Gerard Butler in P.S. I Love You

Ah, New Zealand .. where men are men and the sheep are nervous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

rossie1977 wrote: »
    from my experience many people get the irish and scots confused for some reason

It's because they're both Celts. Or, for instance, thinking Ireland and Scotland are pretty much the same place but in different areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

From my travels, most people are of the opinion that we're drunkards and violent.

Also whenever I told people I was in the army they asked me about Gerry Adams, so they probably think we're terrorists too.

Wht the fcuk are youd saying!, oUStide now and I'll kick the head of ya@?, just give me a mi1nute to finish me pinteen and I'll be out to ya.... ya cnUT,ya........zzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wht the fcuk are youd saying!, oUStide now and I'll kick the head of ya@?, just give me a mi1nute to finish me pinteen and I'll be out to ya.... ya cnUT,ya........zzzzzzzzzzz

Just gimme a minute to grab me lil' ol armalite, I'll sing ye a wee rebel song while I'm at it..

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's because they're both Celts. Or, for instance, thinking Ireland and Scotland are pretty much the same place but in different areas.

I think that it's down to it not being the winning, but the taking part that's important.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

OutlawPete wrote: »

winter is here. i need to stay warm some how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I've just heard numerouse times I've a sexy/hot accent :D

Irish accents ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Irish people get more attention in foreign countries than they do back home and they attribute this to being like but they fail to realise that all foreigners in all countries get more attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Seloth wrote: »
    I've just heard numerouse times I've a sexy/hot accent :D

Irish accents ftw

Pity you have a face like a bag of spanners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Pity you have a face like a bag of spanners.

Ah well yer mother dosent complain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Biggest compliant ive heard is the cliquishness of Irish people
    I wouldn't disagree in the slightest, im personally guilty as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

OutlawPete wrote: »

There seems to be more cows than sheep in the areas I was in! :p

NZ folk like the Irish as there isn't too many of them in the country, unlike Oz.

We are a novelty to the Americans. All wee, cute, drunk and talk funny :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Were basically ruined now that crystal swing is famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Many people abroad seem to believe we are still part of Britain.
    I think English people seem to think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

It's kinda difficult to form an opinion about Irish people without neglecting that the cutlure in Dublin is substantially different than, say, Galway. In general, let's just say that there is, at the very least, a lack of environment-friendliness all across the border. If Dublin, in particular, is taken into consideration Education.IE could also be considered an oxymoron - I am not refering to crude words here and there and it sure might be extended to other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think people have time for us because we have never invaded or occupied any other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Rabies wrote: »

Oh those Hobbits they really don't understand us :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I'm Irish and I think everybody in Ireland needs a good nuking. I can't look at anything Irish without cringing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement