Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people. What do foreign people think of us?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How is presumptions about how her children behave/a comment about how all parents can't acknowledge when their kids misbehave... an opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Biggest problem in Ireland giving a ****e what anyone thinks of you lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just my opinion like :rolleyes:

An opinion is a subjective view, not an unsubstantiated claim.

Back on topic though: Ok, got it - we're not brilliant, we're not loved everywhere we go, we're not even known by many. I think most Irish people with a sense of reality are more than aware of that and always have been - it doesn't require a fukking pathetic inferiority complex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

In my opinion, an opinion is:
    A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

Anyway, back on topic.
    I reckon foreign people love us. Sure why wouldn't they? We're great craic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

amdublin wrote: »
    That's life :rolleyes: Parents don't want to hear the truth about their little darlings ;)

Fact.

Well said amdublin!

caseyann wrote: »
    Thats unprofessional.And isnt helping the kids:rolleyes:

Give it a rest caseyann. No matter what comment I make, you have a remark to make.

That's the first time i've been called unprofessional by the way. Pupils fight to get into my class every yr because of the results i get my pupils. Ans as amdublin said, most parents think their kids are angels and don't want to hear the truth so why stress myself out!!!

teacher30 wrote: »
    Well said amdublin!

lying to a parent about how their child's behaviour is in school,is misleading and child doesn't benefit.Thats unprofessional.Sure you will get some who will ignore comments and carry on in airy fairy land.But never came across a teacher who lies about a child.If that goes on no wonder the kids you have around you are ill mannered and bold still. Bite your own nose off t spite your face.:D

Well said amdublin!
    The fact that you respond "Well said" to something that's deigned a fact, when it isn't a fact does indicate you may not behave unprofessionally as a teacher, but you do have a rotten attitude as one. So you're saying every parent ever is in denial when their child(ren) misbehave(s)?

Utter horse-sh1t.

Much of your contributions to this thread are back-slapping posters making sh1tty comments...

Give it a rest caseyann. No matter what comment I make, you have a remark to make.

That's the first time i've been called unprofessional by the way. Pupils fight to get into my class every yr because of the results i get my pupils. Ans as amdublin said, most parents think their kids are angels and don't want to hear the truth so why stress myself out!!!

There is thinking they are angels ones,ofc there is but you are acting like Irish kids as a whole are the most ill mannered and rude in the world.
    How is that a logical opinion.

• Advertisement

lying to a parent about how their child's behaviour is in school,is misleading and child doesn't benefit.Thats unprofessional.Sure you will get some who will ignore comments and carry on in airy fairy land.But never came across a teacher who lies about a child.If that goes on no wonder the kids you have around you are ill mannered and bold still. Bite your own nose off t spite your face.:D

i'm on 3 months fully paid hols - so couldn't care less what u think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm on 3 months fully paid hols - so couldn't care less what u think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great holiday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bella_purple

I don't know much about Irish people, that's why I'm on boards :) . I've met only a few in my country and they were fun to be with. They drank a lot but nobody mind 'cause in my country everybody does.

I don't know much about Irish people, that's why I'm on boards :) . I've met only a few in my country and they were fun to be with. They drank a lot but nobody mind 'cause in my country everybody does.

Welcome to boards :) do you mind me asking where you are from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

If your accent lives up to expectations English and American girls will have sex with you, go down on them for extended periods of time to ensure that this continues.

But then you won't be able to do much talking so she won't get to hear your accent. Such a tough choice... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

gagomes wrote: »
    It's kinda difficult to form an opinion about Irish people without neglecting that the cutlure in Dublin is substantially different than, say, Galway.

Dublin's a Sh*t Pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bella_purple

Welcome to boards :) do you mind me asking where you are from :)

Romania, caseyann

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Can I ask what school you teach in? I certainly wouldn't want to send my children there if I had any and I doubt anyone reading this thread would either. Not only are you pretentious and unprofessional, you also seem to lack the basic grammar skills needed to become a teacher in the first place. Especially one that claims to have taught in England. I hope you realise during your 'three month holiday' that you lack the skills and qualities needed to be a teacher and take early retirement before continuing to inflict your negativity and superiority complex on more children.

On topic -
    I'm currently living in the US and most people I've encountered over here seem quite pleased to talk to me because I'm from Ireland. I work in a company that deals with a lot of tourists everyday so I'm basing this on multiple nationalities. A lot of them don't seem to have much knowledge about Ireland but I don't blame them. We're a tiny country compared to others and there's a lot of places we wouldn't know too much about either.
    As with every nationality, some people will love us, some will hate us and some won't care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Well as a foreigner in Ireland... you're not as great fun as you think you are.

But I'm still here........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 marcjacobs

Honestly, before moving here, I had a vague idea where Ireland was... I knew it was somewhere around the UK but probably couldn't point it on the map.
    At first, I couldn't understand ANYTHING, moved from Canada to Cork. Took me a few days to be able to understand the accent and the expressions. I still don't get the "BYE NOW", sounds kinda rude to me, like OK BYE NOW, GTFO. :rolleyes: The weather is HORRIBLE. It's always the same boring 10-20 degrees, cloudy, rainy. My idea of Ireland was based on Leprechauns and Guinness. Irish people do drink a lot. I was quite disappointed by your St-Patrick's day parade to be honest, it was bigger back home! The apartments are really expensive and crap. In general, (well based on the people I know here) The sense of humor is really different. People think they are great fun and hilarious, but seems pretty boring to me. I do like how Irish people are just gonna talk to anyone in a pub though, very friendly.
    Oh and Americans likes to say they're from anywhere. Especially with Irish people. They don't really know anything about Ireland but like to say they're 0.25% Irish. If they talk to Italian people, they're gonna pretend they have a grand aunt from Italy... same with any other culture. I also feel like Irish people don't get over stuff. Stop living in the past. I'm glad I got to live here to see how it is, and learn more about the culture and the country. It's a really nice country, but I can't wait to go back home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Nice country - shame about the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaz20

From my experience, people abroad tend to think we are a little hard on ourselves! and its true,compliments are our kryptonite, our standard response being, " ara would ya feck off with that"
    whats that saying... the irish are a fair nation, they never speak well of each other.

Kaz20 wrote: »
    From my experience, people abroad tend to think we are a little hard on ourselves! and its true,compliments are our kryptonite, our standard response being, " ara would ya feck off with that"
    whats that saying... the irish are a fair nation, they never speak well of each other.

I agree so much with that.Personally though i will speak good of Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

From travels and living abroad, in general, I have found a very good response from foreigners.

I genuinely believe Irish people are lucky to have inherited such a witty sense of humour and an ability to look on the bright side from our past generations. Unfortunately there seems to be an increasing amount of Irish (younger generations) who take this for granted, ASSUME they have this ability to "have the craic" and either wind up making a show of us away from home or give us the cringe factor of having to experience them here at home.

In saying that all nations have their fair share of bad apples, I'm more than proud to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Plenty have never heard of us and have no concept of where we are, in my experience.

this. I've been to a lot of places, and most people couldn't find Ireland on a globe if it was lit up in neon. A lot of people have never even heard of the place before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

In krakow ,local girls dont like irish guys because theyre just pissheads and indistinguishable from the pissheads from the UK .

In Russia the police there are very nice to you but some will dislike due to one particular idiot who dressed up lenins statue in green army attire when we played there thinking it was a great joke but it was the worst insulting thing done ever and some people will never forget that.

USA girls like Irish guys ,same with Sweden but more with an emphasis on good looks ,so if youre not colin farrell feck off.

Spanish girls like Irish guys especially if they have blue eyes.

Brazilian women I am reliably told love Irish guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Gyalist wrote: »
    Nice country - shame about the people.

Nice country if you put a roof on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Continental

So how do you know what foreign people think of you unless you ask them?

*reads title again*

It really is a "let's assume what foreign people must think of us" thread...hmmm, go figure, what would foreign people know about what foreign people think of the Irish! :pac:

Thanks for that. I have been living in Ireland for nearly 15 years and I can really say you Irish are not as friendly as you think you are. Unless you are Irish, of course.As a foreigner you think you make friends but everything is OKas long as you are drinking in the pub, the following day everybody forgets about you. So you really do not make friends. Women are worse. I have had women friends but now I think they were just using me because I attracted Irish men. Of course, that all is gone now that I married an Irish man.

I expect to have people replying back and say nasty things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FLCP

I have found that the Irish abroad (in general terms) tend to be more insular than other nationalities - perhaps you'd call it cliquey, but just a little more likely to look to their own than other groups. Too many Irish people think that they're brilliant craic too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement