Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people. What do foreign people think of us?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Thanks for that. I have been living in Ireland for nearly 15 years and I can really say you Irish are not as friendly as you think you are. Unless you are Irish, of course.As a foreigner you think you make friends but everything is OKas long as you are drinking in the pub, the following day everybody forgets about you. So you really do not make friends. Women are worse. I have had women friends but now I think they were just using me because I attracted Irish men. Of course, that all is gone now that I married an Irish man.

I expect to have people replying back and say nasty things...

Friends come and go.Nice you feel they couldn't attract men themselves only if they had you as a friend.lol
    I have loads of non national friends in girls,it doesn't go by nationality whether they stay friends with you or not,ever think they just didn't want to be friends with you anymore.Happens in all nationalities not because you aren't Irish.
    Plenty of non nationals i find very unfriendly:rolleyes: especially if you date a man from their country.

FLCP wrote: »
    I have found that the Irish abroad (in general terms) tend to be more insular than other nationalities - perhaps you'd call it cliquey, but just a little more likely to look to their own than other groups. Too many Irish people think that they're brilliant craic too.

And another generalisation Irish only do lol .Because polish,Romanians,Africans (from what ever part) Arabs,Asians and on and on dont have cliquey things going on:rolleyes:

The Irish are the evil ones,drink too much,arent friendly,arent decent,are up them selves.right:D

If so many evil Irish who dont make non nationals feel welcome,why here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Thanks for that. I have been living in Ireland for nearly 15 years and I can really say you Irish are not as friendly as you think you are. Unless you are Irish, of course.As a foreigner you think you make friends but everything is OKas long as you are drinking in the pub, the following day everybody forgets about you. So you really do not make friends.

Yeah, it can be really cliquey, friendly but not many make the effort to actually become friends. We have a heap of friends now and pretty much without exception they are either non-Irish, married to non-Irish or lived for an extended period outside of Ireland. Everybody seemed to have the same issue re making friends and so now we've congregated together...see if you find some other nationalities to make friends with instead?

Loving the recurrent posts from people who clearly aren't foreign people nor had to deal with Ireland/Irish as a foreign person jumping up and down with indignation....:pac:

Yeah, it can be really cliquey, friendly but not many make the effort to actually become friends. We have a heap of friends now and pretty much without exception they are either non-Irish, married to non-Irish or lived for an extended period outside of Ireland. Everybody seemed to have the same issue re making friends and so now we've congregated together...see if you find some other nationalities to make friends with instead?

Loving the recurrent posts from people who clearly aren't foreign people nor had to deal with Ireland/Irish as a foreign person jumping up and down with indignation....:pac:

Maybe some of us have lived abroad ;) and also have non national friends here.I would say that is enough to have knowledge of what i am talking about.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

The title of the thread is asking Irish people for their opinion, that is why Irish people are contributing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would agree from my experience of foreign people living here that there may be something to what Continental wrote. I've seen it myself, particularly with women making women mates here. One woman I knew, very gregarious type, loads of friends back home. Lived here for 4 years. She made a few Irish male friends but made just one kinda female friend. Boy did she try as well. She moved to the UK and within about 6 months she had two women in her life who were well on the way to becoming mates. Another woman I know living here for nearly 10 years would have a similar experience. She's lived all over the world and reckons everywhere is cliquey to some degree. Human nature and all that. She did say the Irish were much more friendly on the surface than most, but that there was more surface going on and that Irish women were generally harder to get close to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The title of the thread is asking Irish people for their opinion, that is why Irish people are contributing ;)

Asking their opinion of what foreign people think of you, yes - and yet when a foreign person actually says what they think, some seem to see it as their duty to recurrently refute each and every experience...turning a complete blind eye to the common themes that seem to run through them. Tis funny - must be part of that world famous friendliness, huh? :pac:

caseyann wrote: »
    Maybe some of us have lived abroad ;) and also have non national friends here.I would say that is enough to have knowledge of what i am talking about.:pac:

Non-national translates as "without nationality", I think the phrase you are looking for is foreign national. I have a nationality, it just isn't the same as yours, that doesn't render me nationality-less. What was that about knowing what you are talking about? I can't imagine your legions of "non-national" friends appreciate that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Non-national translates as "without nationality", I think the phrase you are looking for is foreign national. I have a nationality, it just isn't the same as yours, that doesn't render me nationality-less. What was that about knowing what you are talking about? I can't imagine your legions of "non-national" friends appreciate that title.

I can't stand that stupid artificial media invented term either. It's like the word "foreigner" has become dirty in some people's eyes so they'd rather say "non-national" or "non-Irish national".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Asking their opinion of what foreign people think of you, yes - and yet when a foreign person actually says what they think, some seem to see it as their duty to recurrently refute each and every experience...turning a complete blind eye to the common themes that seem to run through them. Tis funny - must be part of that world famous friendliness, huh? :pac:

Ah I would not take anything said on an internet board serious :D
    we love to argue whether we are right or wrong

• Advertisement

Please non-national means not of the country they are residing in nationality.Oh we have gone pc brigade on that to now lmao
    And no they dont because they are standing in front of me so i am going to say oh your a non national,and if they saw me post it they wouldn't be bothered in slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

The 12yr old community of xbox live seems to think our currency is potatoes..

I wish :rolleyes:

Ah I would not take anything said on an internet board serious :D
    we love to argue whether we are right or wrong

Much as my tone may not belay it, I don't take very much online very seriously, promise. I think the haranguing of posters that dared to say anything negative about the natives while desperately trying to insist all are a friendly and open sort was well worthy of a giggle or three just for sheer hypocrisy. ;)
    Please non-national means not of the country they are residing in nationality.Oh we have gone pc brigade on that to now lmao
    And know they dont because they are standing in front of me so i am going to say oh your a non national,and if they saw me post it they wouldn't be bothered in slightest.

I told you what it translates to, if you want stick your fingers in your ears and insist it's just PC rather than ignorance and bad manners, suit yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

in reply to OP
    irish people what do foreignors think of us?

I could not care less, the ones I meet have come here..if they have a difficulty they can get the fck out of here

when in rome.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

agreed

Much as my tone may not belay it, I don't take very much online very seriously, promise. I think the haranguing of posters that dared to say anything negative about the natives while desperately trying to insist all are a friendly and open sort was well worthy of a giggle or three just for sheer hypocrisy. ;)

I told you what it translates to,(not my fault you have attached that to that,thats your problem) if you want stick your fingers in your ears and insist it's just PC rather than ignorance and bad manners, suit yourself.

For you its what it translates to,for me its a description of a person who is from another country not same origins as my own,of no ignorance no bad manners and i refer to myself as that when i am abroad living.

p.s no one said Irish are perfect and didnt have assholes( so does every country in world) alot of non national women stick together unless they have no one of same nationality,then forced to make friends with locals is when they do.But to say like that girl did,How she was been used by Irish girls cause she attracted Irish men:eek: sounds very up her self to me.Should be her judged on that comment not the girls who tried to be friends with her.:rolleyes:

For you its what it translates to,for me its a description of a person who is from another country not same origins as my own,of no ignorance no bad manners and i refer to myself as that when i am abroad living.

No, it's a common english prefix from the latin noenu or noenum meaning "not one". I don't have my own personal decipher, you'll find there is common meanings given to prefixes and suffixes throughout the english language. Non = none or not or without; as non-verbal means without verbalising or non-judgemental means without being judgemental.
    p.s no one said Irish are perfect and didnt have assholes( so does every country in world) alot of non national women stick together unless they have no one of same nationality,then forced to make friends with locals is when they do.But to say like that girl did,How she was been used by Irish girls cause she attracted Irish men:eek: sounds very ignorant and up her self to me.Should be her judged on that comment not the girls who tried to be friends with her.:rolleyes:

I don't understand the majority of that but statement, regardless, whatever other countries have or do doesn't detract from what happens here or peoples experiences there of. Constantly shouting down people making statements about their own experiences in ireland and with the irish is just rude and if your intention is to enthusiastically stress how friendly and lovely the irish are you are failing miserably on both counts. ;)

No, it's a common english prefix from the latin noenu or noenum meaning "not one". I don't have my own personal decipher, you'll find there is common meanings given to prefixes and suffixes throughout the english language. Non = none or not or without; as non-verbal means without verbalising or non-judgemental means without being judgemental.

I don't understand the majority of that but statement, regardless, whatever other countries have or do doesn't detract from what happens here or peoples experiences there of. Constantly shouting down people making statements about their own experiences in ireland and with the irish is just rude and if your intention is to enthusiastically stress how friendly and lovely the irish are you are failing miserably on both counts. ;)

I am not caring how other nationalities perceive Irish people whether friendly or not,you know what they say what kind of attitude you give off you get back ;) what is rude is someone coming on here and making a statement about Irish women assuming they dumped her as sa friend and used her to get irish men.Like they need to have her to get anyone.Maybe they didnt like her after they made the attempt to be friends with her,it does happen.

p.s i dont have to shout to get my point across,but i wont sit back with stupid generalisation when all i see is the contrary towards non nationals.And if you dont like my wording not my problem either.If i call myself a non national when i live abroad,you can not call it ignorant or bad manners.

I am not caring how other nationalities perceive Irish people whether friendly or not,you know what they say what kind of attitude you give off you get back ;)

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FLCP

And another generalisation Irish only do lol
    I'm not Irish, and I did say in general terms
    Because polish,Romanians,Africans (from what ever part) Arabs,Asians and on and on dont have cliquey things going on:rolleyes:
    Of course they do - my thoughts are mostly based on Irish people abroad - more in line with the general nature of OPs post title rather than the actual post which I guess refers to 'in Ireland' - but abroad, i stand over my claim that the Irish people I have met abroad have been more cliquey than the Africans, Arabs, Americans and other Europeans.

Having lived here for a few years, then lived amongst a very varied international crowd for a few more, and then back here I think there are certain aspects of the Irish culture that manifest themselves in one way when at home (shared social norms, culturally homogenous) and are fairly commonly translated into other traits while abroad (insular, cliquey). These are not criticisms, just observations. My own culture is less homogeneous at home - more diverse and more varied than much of what I see in Ireland. I think that this perhaps explains why people from my own culture are, in my experience, more likely to 'spread the net wider' in their social contacts when abroad.
    The Irish are the evil ones,drink too much,arent friendly,arent decent,are up them selves.right:D

If so many evil Irish who dont make non nationals feel welcome,why here?
    I don't think that Irish people are evil - I love it here!

FLCP

• Advertisement

I'm not Irish, and I did say in general terms

Of course they do - my thoughts are mostly based on Irish people abroad - more in line with the general nature of OPs post title rather than the actual post which I guess refers to 'in Ireland' - but abroad, i stand over my claim that the Irish people I have met abroad have been more cliquey than the Africans, Arabs, Americans and other Europeans.

Having lived here for a few years, then lived amongst a very varied international crowd for a few more, and then back here I think there are certain aspects of the Irish culture that manifest themselves in one way when at home (shared social norms, culturally homogenous) and are fairly commonly translated into other traits while abroad (insular, cliquey). These are not criticisms, just observations. My own culture is less homogeneous at home - more diverse and more varied than much of what I see in Ireland. I think that this perhaps explains why people from my own culture are, in my experience, more likely to 'spread the net wider' in their social contacts when abroad.

I don't think that Irish people are evil - I love it here!

FLCP

And when i am abroad i find the opposite to be true of Irish they try and can be shy in some cases, and of Arabs and Africans etc.... they stick tightly nit to their own.
    And same as they do here.

What is your own culture may i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm not proud either, but I'm not ashamed - I find quite pathetic the self loathing of a number of Irish people and the apologising for the behaviour of other Irish people (certain people in "are idiots" shocker! Amazingly enough, there are idiots everywhere) and the taking responsibility for anything negative/embarrassing here due to merely coming from here (yeah I understand a bit of cringing of course, but out and out shame - wtf?!)
    You even agreed with someone who said (not jokingly, it appeared) the Irish need a good nuking, ffs.

It's at times caving into anti Irishness and such comments about any other nationality would not be accepted - ironically, the Irish people who engage in this self flagellation often think they're being so "enlightened" and would baulk at anti anyone else.

To me it's just the other side of the Irish inferiority complex coin to the "fuk the Brits, 800 years" one. Both really ****ing tedious at this stage...

Well said!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My own culture is less homogeneous at home - more diverse and more varied than much of what I see in Ireland. I think that this perhaps explains why people from my own culture are, in my experience, more likely to 'spread the net wider' in their social contacts when abroad.
    Maybe. I would also reckon that people who up sticks and move country by their very nature are going to be more outgoing as well. So that has an effect.

I would agree with you as far as the homogeneous nature of Ireland. At the other end of the scale somewhere like Spain is very variable by region. Travel 200 miles in any direction and you're going to see different foods, building styles and sometimes attitudes. Hell they have four official languages IIRC. We are very homogeneous by comparison. Then again smaller population and the fact that we've been very insular compared to mainland europe. I mean some Irish still witter on about the "english" invasion*, but most countries in europe have been invaded by successive armies and empires for 1000's of years. Each time these cultures left a mark.

EDIT the various Spanish areas can be very cliquey though. Particularly to other Spaniards. In the Basque region as an Irishman I would be quids in(they havent the experience of the marbella muppet micks). As someone from Madrid? Not so much.

*they were actually Scandinavians by way of France.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You are insular, parochial, self-centred, incredibly nosy little feckers.
    You manage to have a celtic tiger size chip on your shoulders while simultaneously putting on the poor mouth
    You have turned not being English/British into a business model
    You are cute hoors
    You drink too much
    You can't drive for sh!t
    You only learn about the law in order to bend/stretch/circumvent it

But you have a great sense of humour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Friends come and go.Nice you feel they couldn't attract men themselves only if they had you as a friend.lol
    I have loads of non national friends in girls,it doesn't go by nationality whether they stay friends with you or not,ever think they just didn't want to be friends with you anymore.Happens in all nationalities not because you aren't Irish.
    Plenty of non nationals i find very unfriendly:rolleyes: especially if you date a man from their country.

So true , A lot of people I know are confused the fact my friends from my teens are still my friends as a lot of people would change their friends every 5 years or so.

Anyhow, the girl in question had a win/win situation ,she met an irish guy who she obviously likes because she married him so really its all good and that good for her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

peasant wrote: »
    You are insular, parochial, self-centred, incredibly nosy little feckers.
    You manage to have a celtic tiger size chip on your shoulders while simultaneously putting on the poor mouth
    You have turned not being English/British into a business model
    You are cute hoors
    You drink too much
    You can't drive for sh!t
    You only learn about the law in order to bend/stretch/circumvent it

But you have a great sense of humour :D

Hee hee. Would agree with it all but still proud of where I´m from. Wouldn´t change my nationality for anything. Best quote I read recently and sums up my feelings on this issue:

"Patriotism is being proud of a country’s virtues and eager to correct its deficiencies; it also acknowledges the legitimate patriotism of other countries, with their own specific virtues. The pride of nationalism, however, trumpets its country’s virtues and denies its deficiencies, while it is contemptuous toward the virtues of other countries. It wants to be, and proclaims itself to be, “the greatest,” but greatness is not required of a country; only goodness is." - Sydney Harris

People (who have heard of us) are surprised how few of use there actually are.

Most have never heard of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

moonpurple wrote: »
    in reply to OP
    irish people what do foreignors think of us?

I could not care less, the ones I meet have come here..if they have a difficulty they can get the fck out of here

when in rome.....:pac:

What a nice accomodating attitude you have....

What a nice accomodating attitude you have....

Well, that's why there are twenty-odd countries that celebrate paddy's day and thousands of towns that put on parades - because the irish approve of just assimilating with local customs... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Two things that stand out for me reading this thread.

1. I think people here are being defensive about the criticism, but in fairness, most of the foreigners/non-nationals/foreign-nationals/whatever it's now called have come on here and argued why we're not friendly and a nice nation etc.
    That's fair enough, you have your opinion and I'm sure it's warranted. But while telling us all our bad points, through in some good ones too. There has to be a reason why you're still in Ireland. There's a reason why we got a name for being friendly worldwide. Tell us your experience but tell the whole story. Good as well as bad.

2. Substitute the words 'Ireland' and 'Irish' for any other nationality and you'd have the same debate. It's not an Irish thing, it's a people thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement