Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people. What do foreign people think of us?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Ricardo G wrote: »
    lol ignorance is bliss. Mind you, if you were asked to visit Iraq in the morning would we be so quick to jump on a plane !! When in fact there are parts that you'd be perfectly safe in...

Yeah rather not.lol

They do not give a **** about Irish,they think nothing of us.Honestly do people think everyone has no lives lol:rolleyes:

Although in saying that when i visit other country sites,they did have height of respect for the Irish when they voted no to Lisbon but now, alot of people think what idiots the Irish are for voting the Lisbon treaty:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

teacher30 wrote: »
    Well said, i totally agree. I'm 100% Irish but not proud - people think we're a bit simple and as you say, Irish people THINK they're funny.
    Well jeez, if some oh so openminded people think we're a bit simple, we'd better cave into them...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

fck u you english pirck ye think ye are brillyant . u wanker

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Seloth wrote: »
    Ah well yer mother dosent complain :p

Oh, me-ow!!! ha ha ha. lol :)

Dudess wrote: »
    Well jeez, if some oh so openminded people think we're a bit simple, we'd better cave into them...

lol :D

• Advertisement

I'm Irish and I think everybody in Ireland needs a good nuking. I can't look at anything Irish without cringing!

Are you my twin??!! I TOTALLY agree with you. The Panel, Apres Match etc - total rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Well said, i totally agree. I'm 100% Irish but not proud - people think we're a bit simple and as you say, Irish people THINK they're funny. I worked with mostly Welsh people for 9 summers on the ferries - they were legends! And their kids are so much more well-mannered, generally Irish kids have atrocious manners

Have you been around their children long-term (like on a holiday with them, sharing same accomodation, or in their house for a week or something?) I'm just curoius, as I always think other peoples kids are so well behaved when I meet them in social situations and I'm always comparing their manners to my own childs manners etc. When it comes down to it, spent a week in one of these well-mannered children's houses and he was just as bad as my one at home. Also, most people who meet my one every now and again think she's an angel, as good as gold etc., but ask me or her teacher is she an angel all the time and the answer will be "certainly not"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hmmm, well one American lad I was chatting to last summer thought I was Russian because of my accent...

For the record, I'm pale and freckly, with ginger hair and a neutral South Dublin accent :confused:

When I said I was Irish he said, "Irish? That's so cool!" So I guess that means we're well liked? By Americans who think they're part Irish anyway :P

Jumpy wrote: »
    I generally think you guys are ok, unfortunately the events of the last 800 years or so have turned you into a people who think that any authority is a bad thing. The side effect being that "laws are for other people".
    Fiercely defensive of your own to the point of stupidity and unable to handle criticism.
    You can stand there while your country is falling around your ears and say stuff like "If you dont like it, **** off back to your own country".

Too true - i agree with u Jumpy. And I'm Irish!:eek:

Well said, i totally agree. I'm 100% Irish but not proud - people think we're a bit simple and as you say, Irish people THINK they're funny. I worked with mostly Welsh people for 9 summers on the ferries - they were legends! And their kids are so much more well-mannered, generally Irish kids have atrocious manners

Are you serious? :rolleyes: wow speak about your own.My kids every where they go are wanted by everyone else and consider mine better mannered then theirs abroad they are adored.And in general all the kids i know have the height of good manners ,also i think theirs better than mine.Now having a go at the kids:rolleyes: They are kids :confused:

• Advertisement

Too true - i agree with u Jumpy. And I'm Irish!:eek:
    What makes you an exception so?

Hmmm, well one American lad I was chatting to last summer thought I was Russian because of my accent...

For the record, I'm pale and freckly, with ginger hair and a neutral South Dublin accent :confused:

When I said I was Irish he said, "Irish? That's so cool!" So I guess that means we're well liked? By Americans who think they're part Irish anyway :P

When she moved to Canada, some Canadians (and Indians) thought my friend and her family were Russian too, because of her accent! Strange

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Have you been around their children long-term (like on a holiday with them, sharing same accomodation, or in their house for a week or something?) I'm just curoius, as I always think other peoples kids are so well behaved when I meet them in social situations and I'm always comparing their manners to my own childs manners etc. When it comes down to it, spent a week in one of these well-mannered children's houses and he was just as bad as my one at home. Also, most people who meet my one every now and again think she's an angel, as good as gold etc., but ask me or her teacher is she an angel all the time and the answer will be "certainly not"

Hi there, I can only speak about my own experiences but at least English / Welsh kids have basic manners in public: Excuse me please, how much is that...? etc, whereas most (but not all, obviously) Irish kids will say: How much is da'?!! I'm a teacher now and have experienced teaching in both countries, the English kids are way nicer - BUT please understand, this was my experience only, i'm not generalising! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

@l3LoWnA I just found it so amusing because my appearance is about as far removed from a stereotypical Russian as I can get without being black/Asian :P That is funny that our accent is mistaken for a Russian one though :confused:

It's amazing that a teacher is so eager to make negative statements about an entire population based on the behaviour of a few.

Dudess wrote: »
    What makes you an exception so?

I've lived in France and the UK, and I have to say Irish people (in general) are very narrow-minded and inarticulate when trying to argue their point when they "shoot" someone down for having a different opinion. Again, it's my own experience only that i'm commenting on

I've lived in France and the UK, and I have to say Irish people (in general) are very narrow-minded and inarticulate when trying to argue their point when they "shoot" someone down for having a different opinion. Again, it's my own experience only that i'm commenting on

I tell you what you tell some french people or English people,you think their kids are ruder and they are more narrow minded in general,and see how you fair out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Is there anyone the Americans dont like lol. Although they consider themselves quarter or half Irish most could'nt find it on a map and thats not being ignorant ! In all honesty i'm extremely proud to be Irish and would'nt change it for the world... we have traits and ignorances like all countries but generally are a very welcomong and friendly country, best sporting supporters (because we're usually pis'ed lol)

caseyann wrote: »
    Are you serious? :rolleyes: wow speak about your own.My kids every where they go are wanted by everyone else and consider mine better mannered then theirs abroad they are adored.And in general all the kids i know have the height of good manners ,also i think theirs better than mine.Now having a go at the kids:rolleyes: They are kids :confused:

You're obviously a very good parent! I don't have kids, but i do teach teenagers. Terrible manners. Used to teach in the UK, but maybe it was just a good school

To be very fair i have always said that English kids and teenagers are extremely polite and a have a very good manner and presentation in comparison to Irish kids. But on the other hand i'd have to say when i hear the way Irish people speak around there kids its no wonder. We as a nation have very foul mouths

• Advertisement

Hi there, I can only speak about my own experiences but at least English / Welsh kids have basic manners in public: Excuse me please, how much is that...? etc, whereas most (but not all, obviously) Irish kids will say: How much is da'?!! I'm a teacher now and have experienced teaching in both countries, the English kids are way nicer - BUT please understand, this was my experience only, i'm not generalising! :)

Well my child has never said "how much is da?" nor would any of her little cousins or friends. She definitely (most of the time) has her basic manners in public. "excuse me" "please" "thank you" etc., all of the time. We live in the west of ireland and there are all sorts of kids in our town, bad mannered and good mannered but I wouldn't begin to generalise and say that all the kids in our town are either good or bad mannered because it's generally down to the parents how well-mannred the kids are and there are good and bad parents the world over. Maybe you are comparing unfairly as you taught in a different type of area/school in the different countries? Just a guess, maybe I'm wrong.

You're obviously a very good parent! I don't have kids, but i do teach teenagers. Terrible manners. Used to teach in the UK, but maybe it was just a good school

Trust me that is all it was,the kids i know and i worked in two schools here in Dublin,the kids are the sweetest and warmest ever.On yard duty they would come over follow you around.In shops when i worked there they,came in with the most respectable tones and always with a smile.and i seen thousands pass through the shops and both schools i worked in.
    I have ofc seen little brats who have no manners,but that is in ever country in world.
    I would say Irish kids majority of them when abroad are shy with drawn and unsure of themselves.as opposed to Spanish kids etc.. are in your face and very confident.
    You obviously worked with alot of unhappy kids.
    Only ever came across two in my five years working in schools who were problems,but not their fault.And even then they had manners please thank you how are you and when shown a bit of respect they beamed and showed it back.

To be very fair i have always said that English kids and teenagers are extremely polite and a have a very good manner and presentation in comparison to Irish kids. But on the other hand i'd have to say when i hear the way Irish people speak around there kids its no wonder. We as a nation have very foul mouths

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll this is just wow.
    I could tell you a story or two or three about English kids :rolleyes: should i stereotype them?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

One thing that bugs me to the core is "you are English?" or "are you English" whilst on holidays in Spain..... Went there for a week a fortnight ago and was asked god knows how many times ! Not that i have anything against the English but why foreigners always assume you are English is beyond me :(.

To be fair I know a lot of people who think that all Eastern Europeans are Polish. Or worse still I know Irish people who continue to refer to people from Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam and even Japan as Chinese no matter how many times they are corrected. That's really the height of ignorance to not remember somebody's nationality after you've been told.

That might contribute to some of the negative reactions posters mentioned. In my (limited) experience I think that we're still generally liked abroad but not as much as we were as people have woken up to some of our faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

I find it hard to believe you consider brits more well mannered than Irish? I'm a foreign in Dublin, and I noticed the lack of manners shortly after my arrival, but mostly from the "knacker" sub-culture, which tend to bias the other kids somewhat, however, comparing Irish kids to the brits who are distinctly biased by a much less mannered, completely uneducated sub-culture "chavs", makes me wonder if your teaching was held on a private school for kids of the upper-middle class and above?

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Well my child has never said "how much is da?" nor would any of her little cousins or friends. She definitely (most of the time) has her basic manners in public. "excuse me" "please" "thank you" etc., all of the time. We live in the west of ireland and there are all sorts of kids in our town, bad mannered and good mannered but I wouldn't begin to generalise and say that all the kids in our town are either good or bad mannered because it's generally down to the parents how well-mannred the kids are and there are good and bad parents the world over. Maybe you are comparing unfairly as you taught in a different type of area/school in the different countries? Just a guess, maybe I'm wrong.

I do agree with you - parenting is so important and parents are a major influence on their childrens' behaviour. I have come across amny well-mannered Irish kids but sadly i've had encounters with many more of "the other kind"!! lol. Your children are a credit to you and their good manners will take them far in life. Please send them to my school!! :-) :)

gagomes wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe you consider brits more well mannered than Irish? I'm a foreign in Dublin, and I noticed the lack of manners shortly after my arrival, but mostly from the "knacker" sub-culture, which tend to bias the other kids somewhat, however, comparing Irish kids to the brits who are distinctly biased by a much less mannered, completely uneducated sub-culture "chavs", makes me wonder if your teaching was held on a private school for kids of the upper-middle class and above?

Hi there. My school in the Uk was an "average" school, which was non-selective in its intake. Kids came from all backgrounds. But i'd like to say that it's only my own experience that i can comment on.

I'm 100% Irish but not proud
    I'm not proud either, but I'm not ashamed - I find quite pathetic the self loathing of a number of Irish people and the apologising for the behaviour of other Irish people (certain people in "are idiots" shocker! Amazingly enough, there are idiots everywhere) and the taking responsibility for anything negative/embarrassing here due to merely coming from here (yeah I understand a bit of cringing of course, but out and out shame - wtf?!)
    You even agreed with someone who said (not jokingly, it appeared) the Irish need a good nuking, ffs.

It's at times caving into anti Irishness and such comments about any other nationality would not be accepted - ironically, the Irish people who engage in this self flagellation often think they're being so "enlightened" and would baulk at anti anyone else.

To me it's just the other side of the Irish inferiority complex coin to the "fuk the Brits, 800 years" one. Both really ****ing tedious at this stage...

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll this is just wow.
    I could tell you a story or two or three about English kids :rolleyes: should i stereotype them?

Shur if thats the case i can tell you 2 or 3 stories about Irish Kids.... lol theres good and bad kids everywhere, all i'm saying is English kids seem to have more manners than Irish kids. And its not stereotypical regarding foul mouthed parents in Ireland, spend a week in Tramore, Bray, Salthill etc on holidays if you'd like a sample

• Advertisement

Trust me that is all it was,the kids i know and i worked in two schools here in Dublin,the kids are the sweetest and warmest ever.On yard duty they would come over follow you around.In shops when i worked there they,came in with the most respectable tones and always with a smile.and i seen thousands pass through the shops and both schools i worked in.
    I have ofc seen little brats who have no manners,but that is in ever country in world.
    I would say Irish kids majority of them when abroad are shy with drawn and unsure of themselves.as opposed to Spanish kids etc.. are in your face and very confident.
    You obviously worked with alot of unhappy kids.
    Only ever came across two in my five years working in schools who were problems,but not their fault.And even then they had manners please thank you how are you and when shown a bit of respect they beamed and showed it back.

WEll i have to agree with you on the point you made about the Spanish kids - yes, they're very "vocal" for sure!! :D. And i also agree when u say that when you show the kids respect, many of them react positively to that. :). Everyone has different experiences i suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement