Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people. What do foreign people think of us?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its Galah :)
    http://kookaburra.typepad.com/photos/snaps/galah.jpg

Although Ghoula has an evil ring to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In a thread where people are complaining about the likes of the English thinking that Ireland is a part of Britain, I think it's OK to point out the fact that the Costa Del Sol is just a small part of the entire coastline of the south of Spain.

You might call it nit picking, I would call it geography.
    Especially relevant with Spaniards I've found. They're very "irish" in the sense that pretty soon after you start a convo, they'll inform you where they're from in Spain. They very much associate themselves with their ancestral roots. Quite common in Madrid say. In a lot of ways similar to Dublin, in that there was a large influx from various parts of the country in the last 80 years. Spain is a nation with many mothers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sopick

Rud wrote: »
    who gives a fcuk what they think of us??
    exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

The thread title is "What do foreign people think of us?", not, "Foreign people, what do you think of us?"

So how do you know what foreign people think of you unless you ask them?

*reads title again*

It really is a "let's assume what foreign people must think of us" thread...hmmm, go figure, what would foreign people know about what foreign people think of the Irish! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Wibbs wrote: »
    Especially relevant with Spaniards I've found. They're very "irish" in the sense that pretty soon after you start a convo, they'll inform you where they're from in Spain. They very much associate themselves with their ancestral roots. Quite common in Madrid say. In a lot of ways similar to Dublin, in that there was a large influx from various parts of the country in the last 80 years. Spain is a nation with many mothers.

And don't ever call the Basques 'Spanish'.. or the Catalans come to think of it.

• Advertisement

So how do you know what foreign people think of you unless you ask them?

*reads title again*

It really is a "let's assume what foreign people must think of us" thread...hmmm, go figure, what would foreign people know about what foreign people think of the Irish! :pac:

What would Johnny Foreigner know about anything? Bloody foreigners. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jumpy wrote: »
    I generally think you guys are ok, unfortunately the events of the last 800 years or so have turned you into a people who think that any authority is a bad thing. The side effect being that "laws are for other people".
    Fiercely defensive of your own to the point of stupidity and unable to handle criticism.
    You can stand there while your country is falling around your ears and say stuff like "If you dont like it, **** off back to your own country".

**** off back down under then ya ****in know all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Noooooo dont send me back to that sun! and beaches! not the beeeacheeeessss!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

In a thread where people are complaining about the likes of the English thinking that Ireland is a part of Britain, I think it's OK to point out the fact that the Costa Del Sol is just a small part of the entire coastline of the south of Spain.

Stop trying to insinuate that I don't know any geography. Wibbs managed to respond to my post thoughtfully without being insulting, why can't you? I've admitted I made a generalisation, so drop it. I'm bored of this conversation, I'm sure other people are as well. You spelled embarrassing with one 's' in one of your posts and I'm not going on and on about it

Fishie wrote: »
    Stop trying to insinuate that I don't know any geography. Wibbs managed to respond to my post thoughtfully without being insulting, why can't you? I've admitted I made a generalisation, so drop it. I'm bored of this conversation, I'm sure other people are as well. You spelled embarrassing with one 's' in one of your posts and I'm not going on and on about it

How embarrasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jemflux

If you ask a foreigner, and he or she is living here, you are not likely to be told 'You are all a bunch of self centred bastards', now are you?. We cant take it when the World is not crazy about us, just read some of the comments.

How embarrasing.

Haha :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

PK2008 wrote: »
    Scotland is Ireland Junior

Same percentage of unfunny drunks but without the sexual repression? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Ask on boards.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stephen coughlan

segaBOY wrote: »
    I know a guy like that. I don't think it's unique to the Irish, d*ckheads everywhere.
    fck u you english pirck ye think ye are brillyant . u wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol, it's one of the non "We Irish are sh1t" posts... :D

we are not part of the british isles n lots of irish people take alot of offence to that so i wouldnt go saying i freely if i was u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Same percentage of unfunny drunks but without the sexual repression? :p

More batter but less burger, so its said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

One thing that bugs me to the core is "you are English?" or "are you English" whilst on holidays in Spain..... Went there for a week a fortnight ago and was asked god knows how many times ! Not that i have anything against the English but why foreigners always assume you are English is beyond me :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well im irish but spent a lot of time in america were a few people said ireland isnt that were they blow each other up?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Lol, it's one of the non "We Irish are sh1t" posts... :D
    id love see you say tell in ireland saying that we are a part o the british isles you wouldnt last a half hour

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well im irish but spent a lot of time in america were a few people said ireland isnt that were they blow each other up?

I hope you told them "NO NO thats afghanistan"

we are not part of the british isles n lots of irish people take alot of offence to that so i wouldnt go saying i freely if i was u

Why shouldn't anyone go around saying that freely, when that is their geographical name? The islands of Ireland and Great Britain, along with hundreds of smaller islands from the Orkneys to the Blaskets, are known together as the British Isles. Do you think British people complain about the Irish Sea being called the 'Irish' Sea, considering that they also have shores on it?

Ricardo G wrote: »
    One thing that bugs me to the core is "you are English?" or "are you English" whilst on holidays in Spain..... Went there for a week a fortnight ago and was asked god knows how many times ! Not that i have anything against the English but why foreigners always assume you are English is beyond me :(.
    i agree 100% i hate that it realy bugs me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

For the same reason most Irish people assume Canadians are Americans, we sound similar to other ears.

I asked a German friend once if he could give me his impression of Ireland in three words.

They were: Sheep, Priests, Potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

It's probably just because England have a much larger population than us so a much larger number of English visit Spain each year, than Irish. I wouldn't take offence.

A relative of mine moved to Canada recently and some of her neighbours (one of whom is from India) had never heard of Ireland, and only understood where it was when she told him it was "close to England" Other Canadians, including two police officers, think there is a massive ongoing war in Ireland and any Irish that emigrate are running for safety :eek: It's shocking, the perception that some people have of our country. A police officer in Toronto spoke of the "troubles" in Ireland and said he is sick seeing all the Irish coming to Canada and bringing their problems with them! :eek:

Giselle wrote: »
    For the same reason most Irish people assume Canadians are Americans, we sound similar to other ears.

I asked a German friend once if he could give me his impression of Ireland in three words.

They were: Sheep, Priests, Potatoes.

I think they know it gets to us lol. Mind you i found whn i corrected them and siad "no actually we're Irish" they seemed a lot friendlier.....

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    It's probably just because England have a much larger population than us so a much larger number of English visit Spain each year, than Irish. I wouldn't take offence.

A relative of mine moved to Canada recently and some of her neighbours (one of whom is from India) had never heard of Ireland, and only understood where it was when she told him it was "close to England" Other Canadians, including two police officers, think there is a massive ongoing war in Ireland and any Irish that emigrate are running for safety :eek: It's shocking, the perception that some people have of our country. A police officer in Toronto spoke of the "troubles" in Ireland and said he is sick seeing all the Irish coming to Canada and bringing their problems with them! :eek:

lol ignorance is bliss. Mind you, if you were asked to visit Iraq in the morning would we be so quick to jump on a plane !! When in fact there are parts that you'd be perfectly safe in...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

lol ignorance is bliss. Mind you, if you were asked to visit Iraq in the morning would we be so quick to jump on a plane !! When in fact there are parts that you'd be perfectly safe in...

True, although the war in Iraq was on a slightly larger scale than Northern Irelands troubles and was much more recent....wasn't it? But you're right, I would definitely hesitate, and I would probably presume that any people who moved to Ireland from Iraq were escaping the troubles there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

kraggy wrote: »
    We're not as well liked as we like to think.

From my experience travelling, one of the reasons we are not liked is because, we think we're great craic. The truth is, that many Irish folk make absolute tits of themselves when backpacking.

It's embarassing sometimes.

Well said, i totally agree. I'm 100% Irish but not proud - people think we're a bit simple and as you say, Irish people THINK they're funny. I worked with mostly Welsh people for 9 summers on the ferries - they were legends! And their kids are so much more well-mannered, generally Irish kids have atrocious manners

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement