Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think Nolan's take on Bane is that he's Batman's physical and mental equal rather than his superior. There's no need to make him into a freakish superhuman like he was in the comics.

It should also be kept in mind that this film takes place 8 years after the events of TDK. Batman isn't as strong as he used to be. Based on the trailers it looks like he's a pretty bad way before Bane even shows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bane will probably break bat's back also there are rumers that bane will cgi morph bigger though its to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Tigger wrote: »
    to bane or hardy?

Either, but in this case Hardy. Wouldn't put anyone up against comic book Bane.....

PauloConn wrote: »
    Either, but in this case Hardy. Wouldn't put anyone up against comic book Bane.....

i'm a lot bigger than hardy tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i'm a lot bigger than hardy tbh

stock-photo-18490021-nerd-with-muscles.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I went to Dark Knight 4 times. Going to go to this at least 6 times. Cant wait. It's going to be deadly. Bane is going to be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

would not be surprised if the kid talking to JGL in the trailer is dick grayson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

warrior or bronson are both excellent films

an i really hope he'll be big enough but 5'9"? and 14 stone is very small

Bane_Tom_Hardy5.jpg

for a supervillan

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Adrien brody has the body of a teenage girl and they made him look a decent enough size (not big by any means) in Predators. I'm sure Tom Hardy will look huge in this.

ricero wrote: »
    stock-photo-18490021-nerd-with-muscles.jpg

that guy is probably taller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

watched "this means war" last night with herself

Tom Hardy is tiny he's gonna have to wear stilts not to look silly next to Bale

Tom-in-scene-from-Warrior-tom-hardy-20086567-720-566.jpg

Your argument is invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

his back is crazy, I'd kill for that kind of muscle

Tom-Hardy-Men-of-Warrior-Portraits-hottest-actors-23877880-377-566.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hardy filmed this means war before tdkr, he actually did reshoots for this means war after wrapping on tdkr and there are comparison photos going around. Google it, it just shows how much he stacked on for tdkr.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

ricero wrote: »
    would not be surprised if the kid talking to JGL in the trailer is dick grayson

Or JGL is Dick Grayson! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Bale's physical transformations over the years have been ridiculous too.

christian-bales-body-transformation-13861-1294434999-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Unless you're some kind of heavyweight boxer, or some guy with no fear, if any normal person walking down the steet saw someone looking like that, they would be just a teensy weensy bit scared.

I'd start singing "deeply dippy...." at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I'm starting to sound like a big jerk over on the Avengers thread; saying that I'm not a big fan of Joss Whedon; but, I've just read that he was originally in the running for the Batman reboot that Christopher Nolan eventually won.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rejected-film-projects-joss-whedon-talks-batman-movie/

I sincerely hope that after TDKR is done, and Warner Brothers want another reboot; they don't get him on the case.
    Maybe I'll be proven wrong in a few year's time; but I don't think he'd be suited for it at all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't believe people are bringing up Hardy's height, again. Hello, magic of cinema and all that? They can create convincing alien worlds, populated by 9-foot blue cat people, I'm fairly confident they're capable of making Tom Hardy appear the towering, imposing figure Bane needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Well; in order for him to be imposing he doesn't necessarily have to be tall, does he?
    I mean; there have been plenty of videos and pictures of them standing side by side, and by now it's looking fairly sure that he's not going to blow up to become a 12 foot tall monster.

Maybe it's just me; but the height thing doesn't really matter. I have faith that Hardy / Nolan can portray him as an suffeciently menacing character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't believe people are bringing up Hardy's height, again. Hello, magic of cinema and all that? They can create convincing alien worlds, populated by 9-foot blue cat people, I'm fairly confident they're capable of making Tom Hardy appear the towering, imposing figure Bane needs to be.

Ya, it's a total non-issue. Just take a look at Bronson and see all doubts assuaged. The guy is immensely physically imposing but much more importantly for me demonstrated an intense visceral quality that's far more intimidating than mere bulk alone. I didn't even know what height he was before this. Ian McKellan was not twice the height of Elijah Wood in the LOTR films and they worked just fine so I think they can manage to compensate for a three inch differential in height for TDKR. Time to put this to bed, seriously. Hardy will be great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nolan's not really into that kind of Green Mile/LOTR-style camera trickery though. Aside from lifts and a few low camera angles, I don't think he's doing anything to make Hardy seem bigger. Bale is still visibly taller than him in the trailers. It's Hardy's acting and presence that will ultimately sell the character. Anyone expecting him to look huge in the film will probably be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Nolan's not really into that kind of Green Mile/LOTR-style camera trickery though. Aside from lifts and a few low camera angles, I don't think he's doing anything to make Hardy seem bigger. Bale is still visibly taller than him in the trailers. It's Hardy's acting and presence that will ultimately sell the character. Anyone expecting him to look huge in the film will probably be disappointed.

True, but I don't think there's any necessity for much trickery. I've seen enough Kylie videos and episodes of Buffy to know they can get around height issues quite easily and convincingly.

He has got him wearing height boosting shoes alright I read to bring him closer to Bale's height. Bane's shaved head coupled with Batman's mask ears could also be part of the perception. I'm not sure what people wanted Nolan to do - the Gattaca solution?

zTYuk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hardy filmed this means war before tdkr, he actually did reshoots for this means war after wrapping on tdkr and there are comparison photos going around. Google it, it just shows how much he stacked on for tdkr.

Bottom two pics:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvq98npgwe1qd9vcjo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bale's physical transformations over the years have been ridiculous too.

christian-bales-body-transformation-13861-1294434999-4.jpg

Pretty sure this isn't that accurate anyway, he did say that he didnt have to put on as much weight for TDK as he did for Begins as the suit had a bigger look or something to that effect.

me :(

i didn't realise he was titchey (4.5" smaller than bale) in bronson and warrior he liiks big ok but seriously look at a bit of "this means war" and you will see what i mean

Gintonious wrote: »
    Pretty sure this isn't that accurate anyway, he did say that he didnt have to put on as much weight for TDK as he did for Begins as the suit had a bigger look or something to that effect.

He's not nearly as big in TDK. He actually misunderstood what Nolan wanted and ended up getting too big for Begins. I think they had to make the suit bigger than they had planned in order to fit him.

Unless you're some kind of heavyweight boxer, or some guy with no fear, if any normal person walking down the steet saw someone looking like that, they would be just a teensy weensy bit scared.

aw will you stop he 5'9" and 14 stone ffs

this pic makes me think he's going to morph as Bane tho

image-17-for-editorial-pics-2nd-august-2011-gallery-116110022.jpg

There isn't going to be any morphing. If there was it would be in the trailer. Besides, Bane's tubes serve a completely different purpose than they did in the comics.

There isn't going to be any morphing. If there was it would be in the trailer. Besides, Bane's tubes serve a completely different purpose than they did in the comics.

or thats the twist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah I don't expect him to be huge, height-wise, but there's unecessary talk now and previously about Hardy's standing height as an apparent negative. Bane in this film quite clearly has a huge amount of physicality and presence, which is more than what one needs
    or thats the twist?

Uhm, no. No chance. It would be completely against the general tone of the movies to introduce some form of nonsense mutating, it would cheapen everything that's happened previously.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Just seen that the Savoy is showing Begins and TDK till Thursday

Advertisement