Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Aye, also possible.

Putting two and two together from I've seen in the trailers, Levitt will likely be one of the few remaining cops in the city anyway, after Bane makes his grab for power. We keep seeing scenes of a collapse/explosion in a tunnel filled with cops: I'm guessing staff numbers are going to drop sharply after this - presumably Gordon will be caught in the blast, hence his injuries - so Levitt's character will likely be Batman's sole remaining contact with law & order. Especially with the bridges all collapsed.

I think the exploding tunnel in the trailer is in the football stadium as bane demolishes the field,prob the cops looking for him in the lower parts of the arena, in the most recent trailer it looks that way anyway, that could just be the way its edited though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So much for avoiding the trailers...

... Went to see the avengers last night. TDKR was on before it. Was on the big VMax screen so that made it look even better. When the bomb goes off at the football the bass was rumbling the walls. This is why I love cinema.
    I'll prob see this in IMAX, at the very least i'll be hitting the Vmax screen again.

...off the the prometheus thread as couldn't bring myself to look away there either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Mellor wrote: »
    I'll prob see this in IMAX, at the very least i'll be hitting the Vmax screen again.

I saw the prologue in the IMAX in Darling Harbour and it was almost vertigo inducing at one stage - can't wait to see it there. Will probably try to see it on a normal screen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, I'm about 90% going to see it in IMAX in Darling Harbour too. But at the very least vmx, the picture and sound is worth the extra $3 or so for big blockbusters films

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was talking to a friend about this at the weekend and saying I'm desperate to see it in an IMAX.. and he told me the Odeon at the o2 now has an IMAX screen.

Just got around to looking it up now, iSense screen?? Oh I am disappointed :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I know I'll be slated for this, but Steve Austin would have made a great Bane. I saw 'Recoil' recently and he's very good in it. He's also a lot bulkier and bigger than Hardy. I know Hardy will be brilliant, but if there was anyone else who could do it, it'd be Steve Austin. On another note, if or when they reboot the Batman movies, I think Christian Slater would be an excellent Joker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

MJ23 wrote: »
    I know I'll be slated for this, but Steve Austin would have made a great Bane. I saw 'Recoil' recently and he's very good in it. He's also a lot bulkier and bigger than Hardy. I know Hardy will be brilliant, but if there was anyone else who could do it, it'd be Steve Austin. On another note, if or when they reboot the Batman movies, I think Christian Slater would be an excellent Joker.

He wasn't good in that, he's a bad actor

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Maybe in Batman & Robin he would of been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If bulkiness and size are the main criteria you're looking for, then there are still several other actors you could pick before Steve Austin who can act better than him too.

I thought Heath Ledger as the Joker would be a bad choice. I was completely wrong. I haven't seen Tom Hardy in a lot of things, but at this point, I'd trust Nolan to have made the right call. Bane isn't just about size and bulk. In the comics, he's one of Batman's smartest enemies. Steve Austin can do some fine action scenes, but he doesn't exactly come across as smart and cunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Penn wrote: »
    If bulkiness and size are the main criteria you're looking for, then there are still several other actors you could pick before Steve Austin who can act better than him too.

I thought Heath Ledger as the Joker would be a bad choice. I was completely wrong. I haven't seen Tom Hardy in a lot of things, but at this point, I'd trust Nolan to have made the right call. Bane isn't just about size and bulk. In the comics, he's one of Batman's smartest enemies. Steve Austin can do some fine action scenes, but he doesn't exactly come across as smart and cunning.

he outwitted Vince McMahon many a time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think everyone's missing the point that Bane should be hispanic anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

In the comics, is Bane similar to the likes of Judge Dredd, in so far as he's never seen without the mask?
    Just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

In the comics, is Bane similar to the likes of Judge Dredd, in so far as he's never seen without the mask?
    Just curious...

He frequently takes his mask off when in private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You see him with the mask off a lot, well in the Knightfall Saga at least.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think everyone's missing the point that Bane should be hispanic anyway :P

I think you're missing the point of the Nolan films, that he often re-interprets characters ;)

I'm liking Banes scottish brogue... and his role as a terrorist/revolutionary and new leader of the league of shadows.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Andy!! wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point of the Nolan films, that he often re-interprets characters ;)

I'm liking Banes scottish brogue... and his role as a terrorist/revolutionary and new leader of the league of shadows.

The :p face implies you shouldn't take the post seriously.

I thought he sounded more english than scottish. I'm not so sure he's the leader though, reckon Tahlia might be pulling the old strings a bit, could be the other way around though I suppose. Will be interesting to see how it all ties together.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Is that too much of a co-incidence to not be intentional?
    i.e. Bane's accent / Liam Neeson's accent in Bman Begins?

I wonder if they knew each other... (I wonder if they were even related maybe?). I mean, if the league of shadows is an international organisation all over the planet, would it be purely be a co-inceidence that two successive leaders would come from similar areas, if not the same place?

Maybe Tom Hardy is trying to do "a Liam Neeson" with his accent?

The way I see it is, Talia and Bane are in it together to f*ck Bruce Waynes **** up. They are both League of Shadows, and Bane has been leading the group while Talia has been in Gotham. I don't think they are really an international group, I think they are pretty much based where Wayne trained in Batman Begins. Bruce Wayne killed Talias father, and possibly Bane's mentor. Maybe Bane was the apple of his eye till Bruce Wayne came along. They know his identity, they've known it all along, all LOS know it, but it's not about that. They are out to finish the job that Ras failed to do, destroy Gotham. Why they are playing the long game (Talia has spent 9 years infiltrating Wayne Enterprises by the time the movie starts) is not known yet. They obviously want to destroy him and destroy Gotham before killing him.

What is really interesting is that opening sequence that was shown before Mission Impossible. After gutting the plane, they lift an unconscious/dead dude in a bag into the plane. They put some red **** in his veins, and he comes around. He says to Bane 'Have we started a fire?' and Bane says yes. Then the plane drops with him in it. Why would he choose to die? Why would his dental records freak out the CIA? (Im guessing thats the purpose of putting him in the plane) And the doctor thats on the plane, I guessed he was 'Dr.Venom' but all the marketing games they put up on the batman site actually insinuate he's a nuclear physicist, and that Bane plans to detonate a (round for some reason) nuclear bomb in Gotham. I hope thats not it tbh... nukes are so boring these days. Raz's initial scheme was so interesting.

EDIT: Another thought on why they are playing the long game. Gotham seems to be in the middle of financial strife in this film. Raz mentioned that the LOS sometimes destroyed cities by destroying their economy. Maybe Talia was given a chance to do it that way, through Wayne Enterprises, and now Bane feels she has had her time to do it and is doing it his way?

*double post*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The :p face implies you shouldn't take the post seriously.

I thought he sounded more english than scottish. I'm not so sure he's the leader though, reckon Tahlia might be pulling the old strings a bit, could be the other way around though I suppose. Will be interesting to see how it all ties together.

Caribbean according to the man himself:
    The actor revealed that Bane’s dialect was influenced by “a desire to honor the character’s brains and Caribbean heritage.”

http://collider.com/the-dark-knight-rises-image/158571/

• Advertisement

Caribbean according to the man himself:

http://collider.com/the-dark-knight-rises-image/158571/

I would not have got caribbean from the few lines of dialogue in the trailer. The permission to die line sounds like a fairly posh english accent to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I would not have got caribbean from the few lines of dialogue in the trailer. The permission to die line sounds like a fairly posh english accent to me.

He has an Eastern European accent in the prologue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

All I kept hearing was The Venture Bros. Baron Underbheit...

Scotland is in eastern Europe now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Maybe in Batman & Robin he would of been good.

I initially thought that he was referring to Lee Majors aka Steve Austin 'The Six Million Dollar Man'. I was thinking that he would be a bit old to be playing Bane. Upon realising that this was a reference to a wrestler.... I was dumbstruck. :D

Scotland is in eastern Europe now?

Where was Scotland mentioned in any of those two posts?

Where was Scotland mentioned in any of those two posts?

He thinks Bane sounds scottish.

He thinks Bane sounds scottish.

Ah right. But in all honesty it's difficult to make out where he's from based on the small snippets of dialogue we've heard in the trailers. I remember from the prologue, though, hearing an eastern European twang to his accent on more extended lines, particularly when he says "Now is not the time for fear, doctor. That comes later" (That also happens to be a fantastic line, by the way :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ah right. But in all honesty it's difficult to make out where he's from based on the small snippets of dialogue we've heard in the trailers. I remember from the prologue, though, hearing an eastern European twang to his accent on more extended lines, particularly when he says "Now is not the time for fear, doctor. That comes later" (That also happens to be a fantastic line, by the way :D)

personally i loved the bit in the prologue when he
    makes one of his henchmen stay in the plane as the c.i.a would of known how many body's were on board when it crashed.
    It shows the cleverness of Bane and devotion his men have for him. i also love the way he says "the fire rises".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

syklops wrote: »
    Is there anything like it in real life? I mean, obviously there are harriers and other VTOLs, but I mean is there anything that size and shape?

Nothing that could outrun and dodge missiles like in the trailer

Advertisement