Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

syklops wrote: »
    I thought we had already discussed that. Its Nolans Batman, so not alot of suspension of belief is required. Thats one of the reasons it is so popular, because it is believable. He hasn't had anything yet which wasn't plausible and/or already available in some form. Since TDK, people have built functioning replicas of the tumbler and the batpod. I'm just curious if there is anything like this out there.

"people"... they actually built them for the movie itself. The tumber does work and drive. The interior is apparently loud as hell but externally and functionally it works as you see on screen (bar leaping 60 foot for the tumbler and driving up walls for the batpod.) Same with the batpod, apparently the width of the tires makes it difficult to drive well but it does drive.

Sure the tumbler has a tax disc and all for the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I thought we had already discussed that. Its Nolans Batman, so not alot of suspension of belief is required. Thats one of the reasons it is so popular, because it is believable. He hasn't had anything yet which wasn't plausible and/or already available in some form. Since TDK, people have built functioning replicas of the tumbler and the batpod. I'm just curious if there is anything like this out there.

Is it though? What's so real about a sonar system that tracks the movements of an entire city, a fear gas, a guy who suffers horrific burns yet is able to move around without a bother on him, a guy who wears warpaint and takes over crime in a city, a guy who (seemingly) needs a mask in order to survive yet seems to be in peak physical condition and a device that causes earthquakes?

The Nolan films are definitely grounded in reality, but at the same time, that reality is immensely stretched.

As for the Batwing, there are a few examples of this type of thing; i.e. the F-35 and the likes. I don't know why it's intentionally so ugly; and un-steamlined though. Maybe just to be reminiscent of the Tumbler? Aesthetics rather than story I'd guess.

I dont think its actually too bad looking but I def dont like the twin props under it to allow it "lift" for want of a better word. suppost thrust would be more apt considering it seems like its pushing air fow, anyways, I was expecting something more like a VTOL thrust vectoring method of hovering / flight rather than prop blades.

- Check out the last few seconds of trailer 3 for the underside shot of the batwing as it banks over the skyline -

edit: The props can also be seen here on this batwing toy.... http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=58440

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Thats one of the reasons it is so popular, because it is believable.

I'd substitute believable for plausible there.

Relating to all this tumbler talk; here's an awesome photo (not sure if it was already posted!)

batcar.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

hightower1 wrote: »
    "people"... they actually built them for the movie itself. The tumber does work and drive. The interior is apparently loud as hell but externally and functionally it works as you see on screen (bar leaping 60 foot for the tumbler and driving up walls for the batpod.) Same with the batpod, apparently the width of the tires makes it difficult to drive well but it does drive.

Sure the tumbler has a tax disc and all for the UK.

I don't quite understand what your saying. You mean the only tumbler and batpod in existence are props from the film? Thats not the case. Other 'people' have built 'other' replicas'. Here is a home made working tumbler and here is a working batpod, though apparently it isnt street legal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd substitute believable for plausible there.

I meant Nolans Batman when I said believable, not the tumbler nor the VTOL craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Batman Begins has ninjas using a weaponised hallucinogenic gas and a machine that vapourises water (just not the water in human bodies) teaming up with a guy who wears a bag on his head and makes people have visions of him riding around on a fire breathing horse.

Its practically a documentary.

I don't quite understand what your saying. You mean the only tumbler and batpod in existence are props from the film? Thats not the case. Other 'people' have built 'other' replicas'. Here is a home made working tumbler and here is a working batpod, though apparently it isnt street legal

Oh no, there are fan replicas but the movie had actual and working tumblers and batpods. The special features on begins had a great bit all about the tumbler. Apparently it was a nightmare to build as it had to be able do almost everything itself like be able to withstand being fired accross large jumps , power slide and take part in chase scenes.

Probably up on youtube, well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

krudler wrote: »
    Batman Begins has ninjas using a weaponised hallucinogenic gas and a machine that vapourises water (just not the water in human bodies) teaming up with a guy who wears a bag on his head and makes people have visions of him riding around on a fire breathing horse.

Its practically a documentary.

Not to mention when Batman jumps down about 4 stories of a car park (so taller stories than normal buildings) and lands on a moving van, crushing the roof of it and bringing it to a complete stop with just his bodyweight.

Nolan's Batman films have always been closer to reality than most, but there has always been a need for some suspension of belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Bale sigh oh sorry carry on about the cars and stuff . Will all be about mr bale on the big screen for me .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

hightower1 wrote: »
    Oh no, there are fan replicas but the movie had actual and working tumblers and batpods. The special features on begins had a great bit all about the tumbler. Apparently it was a nightmare to build as it had to be able do almost everything itself like be able to withstand being fired accross large jumps , power slide and take part in chase scenes.

Thank you, you've set me up for a nice bit of showing off...

I arrived in work a couple of weeks ago and found the Batmobile sitting outside my office.

IMAG0458.jpg

IMAG0470.jpg

IMAG0464small.jpg

To help promote the BC Cancer Foundation, Andy Smith, who designed and built the tumbler for the Christopher Nolan films brought it to Vancouver from L.A. on the back of a truck. After driving it around for a bit he then did a Q&A with staff about his work on the likes of Batman, Inception and Bond among others.

Needles to say it looked cool but best of all was how it felt, I mean it was built like a tank. Heavy steel plating all over. The sound of the engine was pretty f*cking amazing too.

Thank you, you've set me up for a nice bit of showing off...

I arrived in work a couple of weeks ago and found the Batmobile sitting outside my office.

To help promote the BC Cancer Foundation, Andy Smith, who designed and built the tumbler for the Christopher Nolan films brought it to Vancouver from L.A. on the back of a truck. After driving it around for a bit he then did a Q&A with staff about his work on the likes of Batman, Inception and Bond among others.

Needles to say it looked cool but best of all was how it felt, I mean it was built like a tank. Heavy steel plating all over. The sound of the engine was pretty f*cking amazing too.

Thats definitely contender for "best day at work ever" , would love to see it in the metal. Seems like one of those engines that reverberates in your chest cavity every time Ive heard it. Cant imagine the torque its putting out considering from a full stop it managed to 180 the whole car and spin out all 4 back wheels and bejaysus look at the heft of 'em. Apparently its deafening to drive in the cabin. - worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is there anything like it in real life? I mean, obviously there are harriers and other VTOLs, but I mean is there anything that size and shape?

It looked more like a quad roter than a harrier. Multi-roter air craft have been built, but they was because they were large and cumbersome.

However, RC quad roters are out there and they are very agile like we see at the end, so not entirely impossible imo

... a device that causes earthquakes?

The germans worked on one in WW2.
    Just saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's all about presentation at the end of the day: if you make your fantasy tech at least look like it belongs in our world, then it's 'realistic' for the most part, no matter how barmy it might be. But if it's portrayed in an ostentatious fashion (ie, pretty much all the tech in Avengers), then it's always going to look a bit far-fetched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

watched "this means war" last night with herself

Tom Hardy is tiny he's gonna have to wear stilts not to look silly next to Bale

Tigger wrote: »

he's 5'10 according to imdb, thats hardly tiny, and he's built like a brick sh1thouse. they could have easily cast some huge wrestler as Bane but gotten a crap performance, I'd prefer the good actor with different physicality myself. and Bane is meant to be smart not just huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hardy could be 3 feet tall but he's an animal of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Size of the man in bronson and the fighter. He be grand next to bale. The man owns the screen in any scene he is in and I will put my money on it now he will be the star performer

krudler wrote: »
    he's 5'10 according to imdb, thats hardly tiny, and he's built like a brick sh1thouse. they could have easily cast some huge wrestler as Bane but gotten a crap performance, I'd prefer the good actor with different physicality myself. and Bane is meant to be smart not just huge.

http://www.metro.co.uk/film/875337-tom-hardy-needs-height-boosting-shoes-on-batman-the-dark-knight-rises

he's 5'9" according to this

he's gonna wear 3" lifts
    The 5'9 actor was easily able to boost his bulk to 200 lbs to play meaty villain Bane, but when studio bosses wanted him to be able to look the Caped Crusader in the eyes, a special pair of shoes were needed.

He is now striding around the set wearing a specially made set of shoes with an inbuilt three inch lift.

This is so he can see eye-to-eye with co-stars Christian Bale and Morgan Freeman, who each tower above six foot.
    The 5'9 actor was easily able to boost his bulk to 200 lbs to play meaty villain Bane, but when studio bosses wanted him to be able to look the Caped Crusader in the eyes, a special pair of shoes were needed.

He is now striding around the set wearing a specially made set of shoes with an inbuilt three inch lift.

This is so he can see eye-to-eye with co-star Christian Bale

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

He is a beast. He was MASSIVE in Warrior and has bulked up even more for this. Fantastic actor too, I think he'll be a magnificent Bane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hardy has been brilliant in everything hes been in, hes gonna be class as Bane. You can see in the trailers how fast, agile, fearsome and dangerous he looks. Hes gonna rock and give us a comic book villain that will rival The Terminator or Darth Vader in modern cinema.

He will be an absolute revelation in this movie, check out Warrior or Bronson if you havent seem them, his screen presence is like what Russell Crowe had in Gladiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Will he be better then sex ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

TheDoc wrote: »
    Will he be better then sex ?

Nothing is better than Sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

bullvine wrote: »
    Nothing is better than Sex!

Well the way your going on about Baneaha

In fairness Im keping myself out of getting too much into this thread.

Im as excited and have thoughts on the film as much as anyone else , but I cant stomach people pulling assumptions from analysisng trailers

I just wanna go watch it on release.....then go again in the evening with the misses :P

bullvine wrote: »
    Hardy has been brilliant in everything hes been in, hes gonna be class as Bane. You can see in the trailers how fast, agile, fearsome and dangerous he looks. Hes gonna rock and give us a comic book villain that will rival The Terminator or Darth Vader in modern cinema.

He will be an absolute revelation in this movie, check out Warrior or Bronson if you havent seem them, his screen presence is like what Russell Crowe had in Gladiator.

warrior or bronson are both excellent films

an i really hope he'll be big enough but 5'9"? and 14 stone is very small

Bane_Tom_Hardy5.jpg

for a supervillan

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

5'9" and 14 stone is very small
    for a supervillan

I dare you to say it to his face....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Unless you're some kind of heavyweight boxer, or some guy with no fear, if any normal person walking down the steet saw someone looking like that, they would be just a teensy weensy bit scared.

PauloConn wrote: »
    I dare you to say it to his face....:D

to bane or hardy?

for a supervillan

but Bane isnt all about being built and kicking ass, he's smarter than Batman, thats why he's such a great villain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

Bane_Tom_Hardy5.jpg

for a supervillan

mmmmmmmmmmm get in me :P

Advertisement