Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't know why but the trailer has left me cold, too.

Could be due to the lack of Joker (which had me excited for TDK) and the worry that too many things featured like Catwoman, JGL, flying bat vehicle, etc, could spoil the movie.

The movie could still end up wiping the floor with TDK but the marketing just hasn't had the same effect on me as TDK did.

I am dying to see Hardy's role in this. That guy can deliver tense acting in spades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

instead of breaking his back do they imprison him instead ?

im trying to wrap my brain around this whole 8 years after. will bane come cripple batman and be in gotham for 8 years or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

An almost perfect trailer. Just felt the final "banter" between Catwoman and Batman was out of place with the tone set in the rest of the trailer.

Of course, it doesn't really matter, as it is just a trailer. I'm just curious why the felt they needed to end it on a more positive/humorous note

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The great thing for me is for Batman to finally have a adversary who looks physically and intellectually his rival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ricero wrote: »
    instead of breaking his back do they imprison him instead ?

im trying to wrap my brain around this whole 8 years after. will bane come cripple batman and be in gotham for 8 years or what ?

No, the 8 years will have already passed. It's looking like Batman is basically retired at the start of the film, possibly due to permanent injuries and/or Gotham simply not needing him anymore. Then Bane arrives on the scene forcing him back into action only to get his ass kicked.

If there's any back-breaking I think it will be at the end of the film.

• Advertisement

No, the 8 years will have already passed. It's looking like Batman is basically retired at the start of the film, possibly due to permanent injuries and/or Gotham simply not needing him anymore. Then Bane arrives on the scene forcing him back into action only to get his ass kicked.

If there's any back-breaking I think it will be at the end of the film.

cant be at the end i dont think. you can clearly see shots of bruce wayne with a cane in earlier trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

When I first watched it I thought the chap who ask Bane "what are you?" was Wayne but it aint

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ricero wrote: »
    cant be at the end i dont think. you can clearly see shots of bruce wayne with a cane in earlier trailers

Yeah, but I reckon those are permanent injuries unrelated to Bane. They are the reason why he gets his ass kicked. As in the comics, I think Batman will be a spent force by the time Bane shows up and there's no need for him to break his back.

Joekers wrote: »
    When I first watched it I thought the chap who ask Bane "what are you?" was Wayne but it aint
    Yeah I thought was Bale as well at first, but it's Ben Mendelsohn.

Yeah, but I reckon those are permanent injuries unrelated to Bane. They are the reason why he gets his ass kicked. As in the comics, I think Batman will be a spent force by the time Bane shows up and there's no need for him to break his back.

Yeah I thought was Bale as well at first, but it's Ben Mendelsohn.

well i spose if the fall at the end of tdk could kill harvey dent, then id say batman might of tweaked his back since he survived

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They're obviously taking elements from Knightfall. If they do break his back I really can't see it happening at the end, would most likely require another sequel if that were the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

heres what i think bitches

bane attacks gotham, beats batman up and imprisons him.

catwoman helps batman.

talia al-ghul tricks bruce wayne and has bane carry out liam neeson`s wish of destroying gotham.

GJL becomes the new batman after christian bale disappears crippled by catwoman chopping off his willy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They're obviously taking elements from Knightfall. If they do break his back I really can't see it happening at the end, would most likely require another sequel if that were the case.

Not if he beats Bane and saves Gotham in the process. Although I think it's more likely he'll just die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

kitty9 wrote: »
    heres what i think bitches

bane attacks gotham, beats batman up and imprisons him.

catwoman helps batman.

talia al-ghul tricks bruce wayne and has bane carry out liam neeson`s wish of destroying gotham.

GJL becomes the new batman after christian bale disappears crippled by catwoman chopping off his willy

You're onto a the winner with this for sho'

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

"And Here We Go"

tumblr_lvywh85n3L1qdo2qzo2_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

maximoose wrote: »
    Is the official release date set? Was thinking of doing the same

IMDB says the 20th of July but I'm not sure if that's the official release date. I just rang the BFI cinema booking and enquires line. They told me to ring back around mid June as they usually start taking bookings a month in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't wait for this. I'd kinda love if Batman was defeated, but I don't think he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Trending on twitter - #tdkr07202012

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I caved and watched it, fcuk me that looks epic. Bale seems to have toned down the batvoice as well doesnt sound so ridiculous this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

That last shot should have been the first time anyone saw the flying batwing thing. Not much of a surprise when we've already seen it in this and other trailers. Great line though - This isn't a car.
    Have to admit that's pretty badass :)

Think they overdid Bane's voice correction but it's working for me - reminds me of the larger than life villainous intonations of Shredder or Dr. Claw. Feels like it elevates him into the supernatural a bit which could work very nicely.

Think I'm a bit more optimistic now than I was after the previous trailers. Bring it on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think to be fair to those who aren't moved by the trailer, after the insanity of The Dark Knight, the hype & all that happened both on and off screen (chiefly with the death of Ledger), the buildup to the third movie seems positively tame in comparison and consequently, so does the trailer. One would wonder if Ledger hadn't died, would Joker have featured in the third movie instead? He looks like a great villain, but there's little doubting he's small beer compared with the clown prince of crime...

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think to be fair to those who aren't moved by the trailer, after the insanity of The Dark Knight, the hype & all that happened both on and off screen (chiefly with the death of Ledger), the buildup to the third movie seems positively tame in comparison and consequently, so does the trailer. One would wonder if Ledger hadn't died, would Joker have featured in the third movie instead? He looks like a great villain, but there's little doubting he's small beer compared with the clown prince of crime...

I think your being a little harsh on Bane, I think hes gonna be a great villain and Hardy is a far superior actor than Ledger ever was.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

bullvine wrote: »
    I think your being a little harsh on Bane, I think hes gonna be a great villain and Hardy is a far superior actor than Ledger ever was.

Shhh, let's not start a debate. They're both fantastic actors. How 'bout that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I think you are been more then a little harsh on Heath Ledger, who put a string of fine performances together before his death, not least Brokeback Mountain, Candy and of course The Joker.

The death of Heath Ledger is going to have an impact on this film one way or the other, I don't think the Joker would have been the main threat but I think he would have been in the background, perhaps in the role now taken by the al Ghul's, or perhaps as an amused observer. I think his presence and the themes of anarchy vs order he brings to his duals with Batman would seep through the entire story no matter how small his part was. Now maybe the movie will be better off for a new direction but I can't help feel that something is missing unfortunately.

I like that the trailer is still holding back plenty of information, it doesn't give any clue as to Marion Cotillard's part and only tells us that JGL's is obviously going to be a major player but we have no idea in what way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A little harsh? I said he looks to be a great villain, but face it, the Joker is the headline act in the world of Batman villains & Bane appearing after the Joker seems a little flat is all. I'm sure it'll still be a great film & thank god they sorted his voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

id love to take Tom Hardy deep inside me

I am also very intrigued by JGL, hes seems to have a much bigger role than I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

kitty9 wrote: »
    id love to take Tom Hardy deep inside me

I wasn't expecting that. Wow.

:)

pixelburp wrote: »
    A little harsh? I said he looks to be a great villain, but face it, the Joker is the headline act in the world of Batman villains & Bane appearing after the Joker seems a little flat is all. I'm sure it'll still be a great film & thank god they sorted his voice.

Of course Joker is his main villain but Nolan's movies are very different to the comics, which might help Hardys Bane be better than Ledgers Joker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

I think as awesome as Bale, Ledger and Hardy are/were, everyone expects a certain degree of excellence from Hardy and Bale in this.

I think Hathaway will be the one who shines the most in this movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bane does at least look like a formidable enemy and not just because of muscle.

Remember the
    boat scene
    in TDK? Part of the trailer for Rises made me wonder if we're seeing a repeat of that
    the collapsing bridges, etc
    ...I'm hoping not.

Advertisement