Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

With this trilogy drawing to a close very soon and the talk of a reboot in the non-too-distant future I was wondering whom members think would be the best candidate to carry the mantle of the Dark Knight next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Boo Radley wrote: »
    With this trilogy drawing to a close very soon and the talk of a reboot in the non-too-distant future I was wondering whom members think would be the best candidate to carry the mantle of the Dark Knight next?
    I honestly Don't know it's a tough one. Well I don't think the reboots will portray a young batman like bale did and being honest bale was the best batman. Maybe fassebender and I say this as I rate the guy very highly

ricero wrote: »
    I honestly Don't know it's a tough one. Well I don't think the reboots will portray a young batman like bale did and being honest bale was the best batman. Maybe fassebender and I say this as I rate the guy very highly

I look forward to see how they reinvent it (I have no problem with reboots in general especially comic book ones) from who plays Bruce Wayne to who plays Alfred and what villains will be used. I do hope, however, that the next outings will stay away from Robin unless it's a really fresh take on the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I look forward to see how they reinvent it (I have no problem with reboots in general especially comic book ones) from who plays Bruce Wayne to who plays Alfred and what villains will be used. I do hope, however, that the next outings will stay away from Robin unless it's a really fresh take on the character.
    Robin will defintly be in the new reboots for sure I think. More than likely the studio will probaly push for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JohnWaxOff

Hollywood is a crazy town.

Sure they are rebooting Spiderman let alone the Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies are fresh in peoples memories. So who knows what they'll do :(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I've heard no talks already of reboots already. Spiderman had to be rebooted cause the last one was a travesty. Any rumours of future batman movies at this point probably come from silly teenagers bull****ting on the internet. I assume when they do get around to it, Sam Worthington will be considered, he seems to be the golden boy at the moment. Not a big fan of him myself though.

Robin will defintly be in the new reboots for sure I think. More than likely the studio will probaly push for it

I suspect you will be shown to be correct but like I said lets hope whoever is responsible for crafting the character comes up with something a bit better than the uncomfortable alliance of an adult and a boy or the horrendous Robin in previous films.

Andy!! wrote: »
    I've heard no talks already of reboots already. Spiderman had to be rebooted cause the last one was a travesty. Any rumours of future batman movies at this point probably come from silly teenagers bull****ting on the internet. I assume when they do get around to it, Sam Worthington will be considered, he seems to be the golden boy at the moment. Not a big fan of him myself though.

It's been knocking around for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JohnWaxOff

Its been heavily reported that a Batman reboot is in the works post dark knight rises. Remember hearing it nearly 2 years ago. But you could be right. Could be all BS reports at this point.

However, only thing I can say is that if its true that Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale are not returning .... Warner brothers is in development for a reboot. Money Money Money. You know yourself man.

As for spiderman 3 being a travesty? ... Hollywood dont care about the quality of a product. As long as that product makes money.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Get Kevin Conroy and do The Dark Knight Returns :cool: Ridley Scott as director :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

As far as I know wb have already announced a reboot. Rumours also suggest that the reboot will be looking at the arkham games as inspiration.

Not sure how I feel about that. Interesting that the Nolans are staying on to produce though. I hope the rumours of them following the style of the recent games isn't true. I would prefer to see a '300' treatment of it; try and take inspiration from what artists like Miller did with light and shadow and colour.

Also major props for the username Boo Radley ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If they're planning on a JLA movie i think they should just reboot him in that, then maybe have a few stand alone movies afterwards. No need to run through the origin and all that again, just chuck him in as a main character in JLA, everyone knows enough about him to have him appear as an already established character even if it is in a more comic book type universe than Nolan's movies.

After the success of the Avengers you can bet WB will be moving forward with a team up movie in the near future.

Somewhere there's a meme waiting to be made: Logs in to see 10 new posts in Batman forum...All about Spiderman.

Not long to go now. These last couple of months are my favourite in the build up to a movie that I really wanna see, because come July 20th all the mystery and speculation will be over. I think i've seen all the trailers I need to see, I feel there's still a lot I don't know about TDKR and I want to keep it that way and I don't want to 'Prometheus' myself.

It's hard to know what Nolan means when he said this would be his definitive conclusion, his Batman story would reach an end in TDKR. If I remember correctly from all those years back, Nolan wanted to tell the story of Batman's early years. Maybe that's what 'conclusion' means; by the end of TDKR Batman will be fully developed and Bruce Wayne will have fully accepted that he is Batman and this is what he must do in life, and as well as that the people/police in Gotham will be fully behind him. I know that the story jumps 8 years from TDK, but considering Bruce/Batman is probably just in his late 20s in TDKR, to think that this trilogy is just covering the 'early' years of Bruce Wayne's Batman is still a possibility. Whatever 'conclusion' means, it can't mean the death of Batman, can it? It fúcking better not!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

stankratz wrote: »
    Somewhere there's a meme waiting to be made: Logs in to see 10 new posts in Batman forum...All about Spiderman.

Not long to go now. These last couple of months are my favourite in the build up to a movie that I really wanna see, because come July 20th all the mystery and speculation will be over. I think i've seen all the trailers I need to see, I feel there's still a lot I don't know about TDKR and I want to keep it that way and I don't want to 'Prometheus' myself.

It's hard to know what Nolan means when he said this would be his definitive conclusion, his Batman story would reach an end in TDKR. If I remember correctly from all those years back, Nolan wanted to tell the story of Batman's early years. Maybe that's what 'conclusion' means; by the end of TDKR Batman will be fully developed and Bruce Wayne will have fully accepted that he is Batman and this is what he must do in life, and as well as that the people/police in Gotham will be fully behind him. I know that the story jumps 8 years from TDK, but considering Bruce/Batman is probably just in his late 20s in TDKR, to think that this trilogy is just covering the 'early' years of Bruce Wayne's Batman is still a possibility. Whatever 'conclusion' means, it can't mean the death of Batman, can it? It fúcking better not!

133156468328.jpg

Bruce Wayne is dead years in the comic. People who don't read the comics don't realise that. Nightwing took the cape and cowl when Bruce Wayne died, but thankfully Nolan has avoided any Robin/Nightwind plotlines. I think Nolan sees that as a dramatic enough end. I think it's fairly clear from the trailer that Nolan is telling us Bruce Wayne dies and is replaced by that cop played by the guy from Third Rock from the Sun. Whether he's deliberately doing that to throw us off, we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bruce Wayne is dead years in the comic. People who don't read the comics don't realise that. Nightwing took the cape and cowl when Bruce Wayne died, but thankfully Nolan has avoided any Robin/Nightwind plotlines. I think Nolan sees that as a dramatic enough end. I think it's fairly clear from the trailer that Nolan is telling us Bruce Wayne dies and is replaced by that cop played by the guy from Third Rock from the Sun. Whether he's deliberately doing that to throw us off, we'll have to wait and see.

Pretty sure he came back in 2010. And is there in the relaunch too

Pretty sure he came back in 2010. And is there in the relaunch too

They reboot universes, but he is still very dead in one of the storyline threads. There are several Batman comics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All Spider-Man reboot discussion moved to the Spider-Man reboot thread. This is the Batman thread. Lets all try and stay on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They reboot universes, but he is still very dead in one of the storyline threads. There are several Batman comics.

He was alive prior to the reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Before the relaunch. He came back and both him and Dick were Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Before the relaunch. He came back and both him and Dick were Batman.

Spot on.

Batman Inc

I'm probably wrong here as many people are when trying to predict events in a Chris Nolan movie, but do people really think there is a strong chance of JGL picking up the bat torch at the end of TDKR?

Whatever about him becoming a Robin/Nightwing type sidekick I'm 50/50, but where can we see that he actually has the chops to become Batman? We have BB to show us what Bruce Wayne went through to become Batman, years of training and the harshest of life experiences. His journey continued in TDK where his whole city was thrown into terror and he found a way out of that, thus adding to Bruce Wayne/Batman's experience points on the CV of heroing. Unless JGL's character has one hell of a backstory and we're shown some scenes/flashbacks that build his character as a would-be Batman, it's a crazy idea to me. Yes most of us will agree that JGL the actor would make a serious Batman, in some other storyteller's vision, but will we actually see that happen in this one movie? A lot can happen in the 8 years since TDK but there's no way this is going to be a movie full of flashbacks for exposition, there's already rumoured to be flashbacks to the
    Liam Neeson days of the League of Shadows and that whole sub-plot
    If JGL's John Blake becomes Batman it will be either a very neat piece of storytelling, or a complete jump of the shark and nothing in between for me.

I feel this will be very much Bruce Wayne's story and will see him complete his goals as set out in BB, to clean up Gotham and restore the City to the glory days of his father's era. Maybe to do this he will have to permanantly retire the Batman persona and just be Bruce Wayne once the threat of Bane is neutralised. Wasn't it he who said in one of the earlier flicks that dressing up like a crazy just brings out more? I know I'm not too accurate on the actual quote but that thought was mentioned.

Nolan could choose to continue with the message that was first sent out in TDK; that ideally in the world all we need is the law and the men/women who enforce it, that and the good will of people is all that is required for social order to be maintained. Maybe that scene with the boats in TDK will actually be worth something to the overall story, idk. The GCPD features quite a bit in the trailers, fighting side by side with Batman. Considering TDK was law heavy and they've by now introduced the 'Harvey Dent Act', there might be a real world, moral ending to this trilogy. This could be more along the lines of what Nolan meant when he said his Batman would be grounded to some kind of reality. And here we've been fluttering over what is effectively a car that can fly like a harrier because it has 2 propeller blades underneath it!

Back to JGL's character. What if he is nothing more than John Blake of GCPD? With every cop in Gotham on the hunt for Batman at the end of TDK and I assume for a long time after the events of that movie, maybe Gordon's face time with Batman would become extremely limited because of his new promotion to commissioner and Batman's status as Public Enemy #1. So over the 8 years John Blake became Batman's new police friend/insider type to take the heat off Gordon? However, the trailers of this movie scream that Batman is way over his head with the physical threat, and by the end of TDKR if he is still standing and continues as Batman, maybe he will do so with an 'I'm getting too old for this shít' notion and see that he has to take on some help. This I could buy. I just don't see where there will be room in a 2.5 hour movie to build up JGL's character to Batman status.

Anyway once the movie is released, the past 15 minutes I spent writing this will be as wasted as the few minutes you might have spent reading it. If i'm to hedge my bets on one thing though (and I may be biased because of my hopes) it's that Bruce Wayne won't die. Yes he did in the comics, but after almost a century publishing Batman stories you will eventually have to try everything! Batman in any medium is supposed to smash all enemies at least a few times. No way that Nolan and co. put so much into building him up as a badass only for him to be put down the first time he has to fight someone who is actually a physical threat to him, and isn't a dog. If they do kill Batman, I may just vomit on my knees in the cinema so be careful who's sitting next to you come July:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

stankratz wrote: »
    I feel this will be very much Bruce Wayne's story and will see him complete his goals as set out in BB, to clean up Gotham and restore the City to the glory days of his father's era. Maybe to do this he will have to permanantly retire the Batman persona and just be Bruce Wayne once the threat of Bane is neutralised. Wasn't it he who said in one of the earlier flicks that dressing up like a crazy just brings out more? I know I'm not too accurate on the actual quote but that thought was mentioned.

I think you're thinking of when Gordon makes a remark about "escalation" at the end of BB when he shows Bats the Joker's calling card.

As for JGL's character, I can't see him becoming Batman at the end, I think its very possible he might just be a new friend for Batman in the police department. I had suspicions ages ago that he's a version of Azreal/John Paul Valley, in that he might try and fill Batman's shoes when he's not around or something. I'm not so sure of that anymore but I would think it more likely than him being an out and out replacement for Batman at the end.

All will be revealed in 2 months!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

so will robin be worked into nolans movie ?? if
    batmans dies how will it work
    ,excuse my iggnorence (in advance) if im tottally wrong, i dont the ins and outs of the comic books ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bale said he'd quit if Robin was worked into the story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No need to spoiler-text your speculation. And yes, if Robin appears then I'll be very disappointed.
    As for Gordon-Levitt, I think Mickeroo has the soundest assessment, anyone who seriously thinks Levitt is going to don any form of cowl is huffing fumes in my mind: all things being equal, he looks like simply another friend for Batman on the force - an ordinary beat cop it seems - and the man is famous enough now to warrant being in the trailer, so of course he'd feature in the promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

kitty9 wrote: »
    id love to take Tom Hardy deep inside me

My jesus yes he is the sexiest man I've ever seen. I'd say he'd swing you around the bedroom:eek:
    And yep cannot wait to see this movie:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    No need to spoiler-text your speculation. And yes, if Robin appears then I'll be very disappointed.
    As for Gordon-Levitt, I think Mickeroo has the soundest assessment, anyone who seriously thinks Levitt is going to don any form of cowl is huffing fumes in my mind: all things being equal, he looks like simply another friend for Batman on the force - an ordinary beat cop it seems - and the man is famous enough now to warrant being in the trailer, so of course he'd feature in the promos.

he could be the new Gordon as well, Oldman may not make it all the way through the movie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

krudler wrote: »
    he could be the new Gordon as well, Oldman may not make it all the way through the movie
    Aye, also possible.

Putting two and two together from I've seen in the trailers, Levitt will likely be one of the few remaining cops in the city anyway, after Bane makes his grab for power. We keep seeing scenes of a collapse/explosion in a tunnel filled with cops: I'm guessing staff numbers are going to drop sharply after this - presumably Gordon will be caught in the blast, hence his injuries - so Levitt's character will likely be Batman's sole remaining contact with law & order. Especially with the bridges all collapsed.

Advertisement