Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, is Bane in some sort of stock exchange? He's taking hostages by the looks of things anyway. I remember someone here mentioning Nolan dallied with the idea of using footage from the Occupy Wall St movement in the film, and the trailer does make allusions to a class struggle at large... I'm wondering if this is going to be the big theme of the film; might explain how Bane successfully takes control of the city I guess, that's it's all a more aggressive form of the Occupy fad.

Think you hit the nail on the head with your sypnosis there. i think this will be very much an extreme vision of the way people could turn during this global depression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NEScart

Another image:

darkknightrises-jgl-gundrawn-full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Don't get the hangup on the costume.

The first costume was clunky and intentionally so, when reviewing Batmans movement and fighting it was powerful and emphasis severe blows.

The second film discussed the suit change within the plot, and Batmans movement and fighting was noticeably alot more fluid, built for more speed then power.

The new one looks to be a continuation on that theme. The suit is not as outlandish and makey up as you would imagine. I'll try find the link, but the outfit is a slight exageration of a new range of domestic law enforcement body armour, designed to allow the operator mobility and agility for navigating within the tight confined spaces of housing and apartment blocks that an urban environment provides, while also being able to withstand low calibre rounds most typically associated with the range of firearms found in domestic armed incidents.

Must dig up the link, I believe its being used in France, Portugal and in some areas of the U.S, and its not actually that far off the design your looking at.

Remember that there is no body armour so resistant and thin it can fit snug in the lining of suits and stock a 9mm round from causing lethal damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

TheDoc wrote: »
    Don't get the hangup on the costume.

The first costume was clunky and intentionally so, when reviewing Batmans movement and fighting it was powerful and emphasis severe blows.

The second film discussed the suit change within the plot, and Batmans movement and fighting was noticeably alot more fluid, built for more speed then power.

The new one looks to be a continuation on that theme. The suit is not as outlandish and makey up as you would imagine. I'll try find the link, but the outfit is a slight exageration of a new range of domestic law enforcement body armour, designed to allow the operator mobility and agility for navigating within the tight confined spaces of housing and apartment blocks that an urban environment provides, while also being able to withstand low calibre rounds most typically associated with the range of firearms found in domestic armed incidents.

Must dig up the link, I believe its being used in France, Portugal and in some areas of the U.S, and its not actually that far off the design your looking at.

Remember that there is no body armour so resistant and thin it can fit snug in the lining of suits and stock a 9mm round from causing lethal damage.

It's a bit silly to argue the realism of the suit when he has a cape he can glide with and boots he can attract bats with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

Some new stills released

8726286372.jpg

Whats the deal with the waistcoat on top of his combat jacket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Whats the deal with the waistcoat on top of his combat jacket?

bullet proof vest or something ? the chap still looks ****ing bad ass either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Nikky_Bellic

ricero wrote: »
    bullet proof vest or something ? the chap still looks ****ing bad ass either way

Looks well bad ass indeed :)

But its certainly not a bullet proof vest tho. Its odd. If you look at the tailoring of it, it really does look like a uniform waistcoat. The way it curls when it ends. Its out of place. Since he already has a jacket on. Its definitely scene related.

Dont mean to dwell into things so much :pac: But since it doesnt match his gear, but yet he is wearing it ... their is a reason for it. But I dont know why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Any word on what's up with Bruce's grey hair?

Is it stress-related?

Or will the film just take place over a very long period of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Any word on what's up with Bruce's grey hair?

Is it stress-related?

Or will the film just take place over a very long period of time?

There's 8 years between TDK and TDKR, plus yeah I'd imagine stress will also play a part.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was hoping for an Evil Dead II style colour change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was hoping for an Evil Dead II style colour change.

Batman with a chainsaw for a hand would be awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Not much has been coming out recently apart from a few pics. Its understandable given how Avengers and to a lesser extent Prometheus have gone into promotional over-drive and they dont want their material being overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, is Bane in some sort of stock exchange? He's taking hostages by the looks of things anyway. I remember someone here mentioning Nolan dallied with the idea of using footage from the Occupy Wall St movement in the film, and the trailer does make allusions to a class struggle at large... I'm wondering if this is going to be the big theme of the film; might explain how Bane successfully takes control of the city I guess, that's it's all a more aggressive form of the Occupy fad.

I'm guessing its inside whatever building himself and Bats have a scrap on the steps from the trailer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

al28283 wrote: »
    It's a bit silly to argue the realism of the suit when he has a cape he can glide with and boots he can attract bats with

Both those things are perfectly plausible though. There's probably an iPhone app you can attract bats with. As for the cape, look up wing suits and Electro-active shape memory polymers. They do exist in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

There's 8 years between TDK and TDKR, plus yeah I'd imagine stress will also play a part.

Thats plenty of time for him to train up some form of bird orientated protege....

Pter wrote: »
    Thats plenty of time for him to train up some form of bird orientated protege....

Don't make me go searching for the old quotes from both Nolan and Bale on this subject. :pac:

I think JGL's character, John Blake, might help Bats though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good interview with Nolan here.

Not all Batman, mostly his career, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

New trailer is attached to The Avengers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New trailer is attached to The Avengers

Only in the US though. We'll have to wait until it goes online a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

Only in the US though. We'll have to wait until it goes online a few days later.

Aye. But even so it's a good marketing move by WB, their entire target audience in one place

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Glad its not on with The Avengers here, easier to avoid so.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Glad its not on with The Avengers here, easier to avoid so.

ha yeah, I'd be sitting in the cinema looking at the floor with my fingers in my ears :pac: seen enough of it in the teaser,prologue and theatrical trailer, no more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's going to be in front of every single film on the run up to release, so good luck trying to avoid it. :pac:

It's going to be in front of every single film on the run up to release, so good luck trying to avoid it. :pac:

challenge-accepted.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm actually having a fairly good run with avoiding trailers. Predominantly going to the IFI or festival screenings helps :P

I don't think anything has been too revealing. There's still plenty of mystery surrounding the characters and how exactly the story is going to play out.

I actually think the Prometheus trailers have given more away (especially the second trailer and it's international equivalent).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think anything has been too revealing. There's still plenty of mystery surrounding the characters and how exactly the story is going to play out.

I actually think the Prometheus trailers have given more away (especially the second trailer and it's international equivalent).

If that's true then I'm mightily glad I unsubbed from the thread here and imposed a boycott of media releases on myself. I'm still utterly oblivious about the details of this film, it's a great feeling :D

As for the Dark Knight Rises' material, I think it has been quite canny in its marketing promotions. No more than the previous film, the promos have played their cards quite close to their chest & people are still relatively ignorant of the more important details. I'd be surprised if a new trailer negated that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a shame mystery and surprise have become somewhat of a luxury rather than mandatory. I must admit I've taken to looking down at my phone during trailers of films I want to see.

I watched the early trailers of the Dark Knight, but haven't seen anything significant in a good few months. I certainly wouldn't watch the prologue under any circumstances. Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to see the increasingly rare films that truly warrant a blind watch - and there's an unusual amount this year, including Prometheus and Cabin in the Woods - as blind as possible. Spoiler and speculation culture online has grown somewhat out of hand IMO: I love discussing films in depth when I've seen them, but beforehand I just don't particularly see the point.

I would expect the new trailer to reveal a lot more plot details. Nolan has probably been heavily involved in the marketing to date, hence the secrecy. However, usually by the time you get to the final trailer the director has been removed from the equation and the studio suits have taken over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

Any reason why the trailer is not attached to the avengers here?
    Was going to see the film in the cinema for that :(

Advertisement