Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Because The Avengers is released early here. It's not out in the US until the 5th I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

In general, we never get these big trailers attached to the same films that the US do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

In general, we never get these big trailers attached to the same films that the US do.

depends really, there's a new cinema in Limerick thats the job for showing trailers, I saw Wrath Of The Titans and it had the trailers for Spiderman, The Hobbit (both in 3D) Prometheus and TDKR all before it, and only two ads, the way it should be!

krudler wrote: »
    depends really, there's a new cinema in Limerick thats the job for showing trailers, I saw Wrath Of The Titans and it had the trailers for Spiderman, The Hobbit (both in 3D) Prometheus and TDKR all before it, and only two ads, the way it should be!

That's cool, too many cinemas are too concerned with the bottom dollar.

That's cool, too many cinemas are too concerned with the bottom dollar.

oh stop, the Storm cinema here shows about 15-20 minutes of ads and maybe one trailer if you're lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

oh stop, the Storm cinema here shows about 15-20 minutes of ads and maybe one trailer if you're lucky.
    LOL
    gayyyy i saw WOT and it only had the hobbit and spiderman

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Thoms Yorkie Bars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Studios, advertisers and distributors have agreements on this in total. Basically each film reel comes with ad reels and a pre-defined set of adverts and in most case a pre-defined order that the projectionist needs to cut the reel to. They don't have any creative licence about whether to show ads or not. Its a must or loose out on their fee.

TDK had 40 mins IMAX, reportedly TDKR will have MORE... any cinema's in Dublin showing traditional IMAX?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Nope, no IMAX for us I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Studios, advertisers and distributors have agreements on this in total. Basically each film reel comes with ad reels and a pre-defined set of adverts and in most case a pre-defined order that the projectionist needs to cut the reel to. They don't have any creative licence about whether to show ads or not. Its a must or loose out on their fee.

TDK had 40 mins IMAX, reportedly TDKR will have MORE... any cinema's in Dublin showing traditional IMAX?

Not really no. For example, we have an agreement with Carlton that we show whatever ads they want in exchange for them handing us money. When it comes to film trailers we just stick on whatever takes our fancy (though we tend to favour shorter trailers if it's a long film) unless a distributor has explicitly stated that they want x, y or z on before a show but even then there is some leeway.

Also, there's no IMAX in Ireland any more. If that's how you want to see it then you have to go elsewhere unfortunately. There's a thread about it somewhere on here but I'm too lazy to link :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

darkknightrisespromoapr1.jpg?1335362546

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Not really no. For example, we have an agreement with Carlton that we show whatever ads they want in exchange for them handing us money. When it comes to film trailers we just stick on whatever takes our fancy (though we tend to favour shorter trailers if it's a long film) unless a distributor has explicitly stated that they want x, y or z on before a show but even then there is some leeway.

Also, there's no IMAX in Ireland any more. If that's how you want to see it then you have to go elsewhere unfortunately. There's a thread about it somewhere on here but I'm too lazy to link :p

Cheers. Always good to gain new clarity on different arrangements. Can I ask you is the cinema you work for a considered independent or part of one of the large franchises? I wouldn't ask you to name the cinema, unless your willing of course.
    unless a distributor has explicitly stated that they want x, y or z on before a show but even then there is some leeway.
    Maybe I'm mixing up oth the ads and the trailers portion. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

anyone see the new trailer yet? I cant find it anywhere online. Someone please put up a link.

MJ23 wrote: »
    anyone see the new trailer yet? I cant find it anywhere online. Someone please put up a link.

wont be out until the avengers is released in america

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

look at the surprise i got after i seen the avengers today.. straight home and booked the tickets.!!

sKNdg.jpg

an excellent lead up to the release of the dark knight rises :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I would expect the new trailer to reveal a lot more plot details. Nolan has probably been heavily involved in the marketing to date, hence the secrecy. However, usually by the time you get to the final trailer the director has been removed from the equation and the studio suits have taken over.

What's crazy is that they don't even need to advertise the film, all the need is the title and a date, that's it.
    Cheers. Always good to gain new clarity on different arrangements. Can I ask you is the cinema you work for a considered independent or part of one of the large franchises?

It's an independent cinema so I don't know if that makes a difference or not although I'd guess places like Odeon would have more stringent regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

thats pretty cool marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

"And Here We Go"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Stunning trailer, seems quite spoilerific, but couldn't stop watching :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I know a fair chunk of the story is from Knightfall, but did I see some small elements from the No Man's Land storyline in there
    taking out the bridge, the police fighting gangs on the street in huge brawls

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was a bit sad that I gave into another Prometheus trailer. i'm havign second thoguhts abotu this. Should I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

yes!!! yes you should!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Mellor wrote: »
    I was a bit sad that I gave into another Prometheus trailer. i'm havign second thoguhts abotu this. Should I?

Go for it is what I say.

Sure the build up is half the enjoyment of most of these films.

Eerie, epic trailer. The score sounds amazing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think i'd rather see the whole thing without without knowing anything.
    But I'll never last 11 weeks that left. Plus I'll be in the cinema a load of time between now and then

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Doesn't really give any more away! Didn't want to watch it either but I relented instantly.

Is it just me or did they do some trickery with Bane's voice to make it clearer? Not sure what he said when Batman asked hime "What are you?" though.

Anyone else get the impression that Batman is going to die in this??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Doesn't really give any more away! Didn't want to watch it either but I relented instantly.

Is it just me or did they do some trickery with Bane's voice to make it clearer? Not sure what he said when Batman asked hime "What are you?" though.

Anyone else get the impression that Batman is going to die in this??
    No, it's definitely clearer than in the first promotion - there's a scene that's in both trailers & in this recent one, Bane is much easier to understand.

Yes, I suspect Batman will die. Not sure about Bruce Wayne mind you, but the natural arc that's playing out for Batman does tend to point towards the ultimate sacrifice.

Oh and on the subject of spoiler avoidance; I forgot there was a new trailer for Prometheus playing before The Avengers. Realised as it started playing, but managed to leave the theatre in time - whilst shielding my eyes - before anything was spoiled. Yes, that's how far I've been going to avoid promotions of that film: I'll actually leave :D

• Advertisement

I think it'll be a definitive ending anyway, I don't think it'll be ambiguous ala Inception where it's left up to you to decide what happens.

Advertisement