Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Announce HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

FYI the lack of Desires is for real, not a marketing stunt as somebody implied on the previous page!

There's a shortage of the Samsung AMOLED screens which the Desire uses, and which are in use in a bunch of other phones, including the N1 and the Incredible.

But having said that, if three had anticipated the demand and gotten an order in to HTC earlier, maybe some of you guys would have a shiny new phone by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

That's kinda my point. Three are falling behind the other operators as they still haven't sold a single HTC Desire. I wouldn't be so annoyed if HTC hadn't been able to supply anyone in Ireland with the phone. There's SOME stock out there....just none of it with Three.
    It's like they all thought we'd run out and buy the iPhone or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 deadlytea

raeGten wrote: »
    That's kinda my point. Three are falling behind the other operators as they still haven't sold a single HTC Desire. I wouldn't be so annoyed if HTC hadn't been able to supply anyone in Ireland with the phone. There's SOME stock out there....just none of it with Three.
    It's like they all thought we'd run out and buy the iPhone or something.
    The Samsung Spica is 'Out of Stock' too: http://www.three.ie/shop/samsung-spica-black-relax-350.htm. Anyone had any more calls from Three customer service confirming the 14th June date for HTC Desire? I'm not holding my breath on that date of course...just crossing my fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

deadlytea wrote: »
    ..............Anyone had any more calls from Three customer service confirming the 14th June date for HTC Desire?...........

Yes, I got a call from them on the 27th saying they would be available on June 14th. (I think he said June!?)

So the Desire is back up on Three's mobile page and it's shown as " coming soon". Nice to see it back up there anyway. I wonder if there's any significance that it was gone for a couple of days and now it's back.....
    ....were they unsure how soon it was coming and now they're more certain that it will, in fact, be coming, and soon?
    Hope so.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• Advertisement

So the Desire is back up on Three's mobile page and it's shown as " coming soon". Nice to see it back up there anyway. I wonder if there's any significance that it was gone for a couple of days and now it's back.....
    ....were they unsure how soon it was coming and now they're more certain that it will, in fact, be coming, and soon?
    Hope so.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    probably someone in marketing got bored..

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Just checked the site and I cannnot see the Desire (Coming Soon) in their list.

I'd say the teckies who maintain 3's site are just playing with us boardsies.

Still there on mine.
    I take your point tho.

leahcim wrote: »
    Just checked the site and I cannnot see the Desire (Coming Soon) in their list.

I'd say the teckies who maintain 3's site are just playing with us boardsies.
    Go to the page, hold CTRL down and hit F5. Should appear then.

Go to the page, hold CTRL down and hit F5. Should appear then.

I was using internet explorer.

I've tried the above, I've tries clearing browsing history and temp internet files.

Still no joy.

Then I switched to firefox and it worked.

There must be something wrong with my ie browser cache.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Interesting...I was using Firefox myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

I stumbled across this thread searching for opinions but thought I'd mention that I was talking to Three yesterday and they told me it would cost me €129 for the Desire on the €49 Relax 350 deal which with the 100% free offer would bring me to 700 flex units.

Conar wrote: »
    I stumbled across this thread searching for opinions but thought I'd mention that I was talking to Three yesterday and they told me it would cost me €129 for the Desire on the €49 Relax 350 deal which with the 100% free offer would bring me to 700 flex units.
    Sounds decent. Was that for 12 month plan?

No, that was the 18 month plan.
    I'm currently a 3 customer too, not sure if that makes a difference.
    One thing they couldn't tell me is if it got the 1GB data plan that they offer with the iPhone.

No, that was the 18 month plan.
    I'm currently a 3 customer too, not sure if that makes a difference.
    One thing they couldn't tell me is if it got the 1GB data plan that they offer with the iPhone.

Did they give you a date that it would be available?

These guys are chancers - I was told that it would not include the 1gb plan that comes with the iphone. You could purchase that separately for €9.99 pm.

deadlytea, they also told me that it would not be available on a 12 month plan.

But, they seem to tell different people different things all the time.

SteM wrote: »
    Did they give you a date that it would be available?

These guys are chancers - I was told that it would not include the 1gb plan that comes with the iphone. You could purchase that separately for €9.99 pm.

deadlytea, they also told me that it would not be available on a 12 month plan.

But, they seem to tell different people different things all the time.

They told me it would be in by the end of the month but they wouldn't be surprised if it arrived today :confused:
    Bascially it could arrive any time but the end of the month is the max...or so he reckoned.
    I did get the impression he was talking through his arse a bit so I'll be taking it all with a pinch of salt until I actually negotiate a real deal with them.

One thing to note is that you can haggle with these guys.
    Last year I got 40 euro off a 100 euro phone and my wife got a 29 euro on for free.

One thing to note is that you can haggle with these guys.
    Last year I got 40 euro off a 100 euro phone and my wife got a 29 euro on for free.

Absolutely, I told them I dind't fancy waiting until they release the Desire and they gave me the month of June's rental free so I'd wait. They have margins they'll work within, you just have to have the neck to push them.

Just got this from three customer support.

Looks like we will not see the Desire for a few weeks.
    Hi

Thanks for your recent enquiry about the HTC Desire on 3. We just wanted to let you know that the on-sale date for this mobile has moved out by a few weeks, but don't worry we will send you a reminder closer to the time.

Sorry about the extra wait but we think you'll see it's worth it . If you can't wait then check out our new range of mobiles such as the Android-powered Sony Ericsson X10 and the Sony Ericsson Vivaz with HD Recording, all available to purchase on three.ie.

If you'd prefer to wait for the HTC Desire, well, we completely understand. After all, the HTC Desire is made for 3, it's designed with the internet in mind. The 3.7" screen makes browsing easy and sites look great on the high-resolution display. The 'pinch to zoom' feature lets you focus on exactly what you want and it's great for multi-tasking - so you can check out Facebook® while Music Player runs in the background and don?t forget the Desire is a Google Android phone so Google's best apps are preloaded and Google Mail gets sent straight to your phone

Regards,

leahcim wrote: »
    Just got this from three customer support.

Looks like we will not see the Desire for a few weeks.
    'A few weeks'...nice and vague :(

Got the same mail. When I saw it was from Customer Support at 3 I thought maybe....! But no, of course not. Delayed by another few weeks.
    Seriously, how pathetic is this. They still have them in the Carphone warehouse for the other three networks. How long do 3 expect us to wait? That marketing blurb about them having the ideal network for the Desire makes it all the more ridiculous that they didn't foresee the demand for the phone and that they let the other three networks in the country get it first. They've some cheek telling US how perfect the phone is.
    Seriously getting annoyed now!!

• Advertisement

Got the same mail. When I saw it was from Customer Support at 3 I thought maybe....! But no, of course not. Delayed by another few weeks.
    Seriously, how pathetic is this. They still have them in the Carphone warehouse for the other three networks. How long do 3 expect us to wait? That marketing blurb about them having the ideal network for the Desire makes it all the more ridiculous that they didn't foresee the demand for the phone and that they let the other three networks in the country get it first. They've some cheek telling US how perfect the phone is.
    Seriously getting annoyed now!!
    What happened to our June 14th date? :(

3 have had it in the UK for a while now too: http://threestore.three.co.uk/priceplans.aspx?phonecode=HTCDSRGP3D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

And here was me being told the ''coming soon'' meant a few weeks time as in around ****ing now.

But after a few weeks of ''coming soon'' they announce it will be a ''few weeks''.

Why do they have the better pricing for smart phones and general text/phone but have the most bollix smart phones for sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What's the benefit of waiting for 3 over meteor btw? I'll be in England every other weekend when the football season starts again.

I currently rarely spend more then €20 a month on o2 pay as you go. I remember hearing someone saying three are better for people going to the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

RasTa wrote: »
    What's the benefit of waiting for 3 over meteor btw? I'll be in England every other weekend when the football season starts again.

I currently rarely spend more then €20 a month on o2 pay as you go. I remember hearing someone saying three are better for people going to the UK?

Three use "Three like home"

Use your allowance at no extra cost to you

Heres link: http://www.three.ie/business/coverage_roaming/3-like-home.htm

Dont know if the other operators do anything similar.

I've used my phone in UK & Italy on numerous occasions over the last few years, didn't cost me a cent extra, actually didn't go over my bundle.

Also you get football highlights to your phone of teams you subscribe to for free. Handy free feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Three use "Three like home"

Use your allowance at no extra cost to you

Heres link: http://www.three.ie/business/coverage_roaming/3-like-home.htm

Dont know if the other operators do anything similar.

I've used my phone in UK & Italy on numerous occasions over the last few years, didn't cost me a cent extra, actually didn't go over my bundle.

Also you get football highlights to your phone of teams you subscribe to for free. Handy free feature.

That's for business customers only though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

RasTa wrote: »
    That's for business customers only though?

Its for everyone heres a different link.

Dont think you'll get better

http://www.three.ie/products_services/international/3likehome.htm

hope this helps ;)

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    T

OT, but I've never seen this. How do you set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

One thing that I'm noticing with Three and the HTC is that while all is fine on 3G, where ever it switched to GSM in the out of coverage areas, that not only do you get little or sometimes no data access, the phone displays a reluctance to return to 3G/ HDSPA. A few times I've had to switch the phone off and on again to force it to go to 3G. At least it does maintain coverage for calls and texts (unlike the numerous problems reported by Meteor Hero customers).

However this does become more apparent when you are using such a phone as the Desire and Android where a data connection is so ingrained for normal everyday use. I'd say that the ability to fallback to edge that meteor or the other operators have might be advantageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

With 3 thats probably because it has to go to another network to piggyback when you go out of their coverage.They dont have a GSM network in this country, only a 3g one

• Advertisement

Anybody have any updates on a possible launch date?
    I know it's looking like the week of the 14th and the official line is not til the end of June.
    Just wondering if there's anything more concrete. Anyone reading these pages that has an in with 3?

Advertisement