Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Announce HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I'm not wrong. It's what I have been told anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

I just spoke with CS earlier this morning and guess what?

The Desire is not being released on Monday. In fact they are not releasing it at all at the moment due to HTC not supplying them with the phone as there is a major issue with the handset. I was told that HTC are not supplying the handset to anyone at the moment due to this issue. Something to do with the software (insert whatever excuse you like here). The were only offically informed yesterday. No timeframe for when/if the Desire will be released by 3.

I was told that Meteor and maybe someone like the CPW might have some handsets in stock but that they would not be getting any new shipments.

Make what you will of the above. I'm sure if one else rings up they might be given another story but effectively 3 are blaming HTC for not shipping the phones in the first place and are blaming them now for this 'recall'.

No idea what to do. If the phone was not going to be released this week I was going to go back to 02 (€99 for the phone with a 2Gb allowance) but now I'm not sure if the Desire is the right way to go now if there is an issue with the software.

One thing though if it was a software issue then surely they could release an update for the OS unless there is a hardware/OS interface issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

I know there's all sorts of dates being thrown around. But if its true that its September!..... No wonder they keep saying its only 2 weeks away. If the reality is shown to be 2 MONTHS everyone waiting would just change network now.

September would mean that 3 Ireland customers will start their 18 month contracts 4 months after users on the other networks.

That's just pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 deadlytea

The Desire is not being released on Monday. In fact they are not releasing it at all at the moment due to HTC not supplying them with the phone as there is a major issue with the handset. I was told that HTC are not supplying the handset to anyone at the moment due to this issue. Something to do with the software (insert whatever excuse you like here). The were only offically informed yesterday. No timeframe for when/if the Desire will be released by 3.

I was told that Meteor and maybe someone like the CPW might have some handsets in stock but that they would not be getting any new shipments.

Make what you will of the above. I'm sure if one else rings up they might be given another story but effectively 3 are blaming HTC for not shipping the phones in the first place and are blaming them now for this 'recall'.

No idea what to do. If the phone was not going to be released this week I was going to go back to 02 (€99 for the phone with a 2Gb allowance) but now I'm not sure if the Desire is the right way to go now if there is an issue with the software.

One thing though if it was a software issue then surely they could release an update for the OS unless there is a hardware/OS interface issue?
    Cheers for that post The Word Is Bor. You would think that if there was a flaw it would be across the board and we'd have heard more about it. Searching on the net, i can't see any mention of a general issue with the Desire. Folks are still walking into Meteor shops and getting the phone. I'm confused Ted. Man, i was holding out for this and not really (seriously) contemplating the Meteor package but that option is now firmly on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

This issue is so interesting. It is amazing how much bul@hit people can take...your patience is unbelievable

• Advertisement

iwo wrote: »
    This issue is so interesting. It is amazing how much bul@hit people can take...your patience is unbelievable
    cheers for that iwo

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

I just rang and was assured it was Monday, from this mornings list. Told her about the latest news so she checked, and no longer showing for next week, but the wildfire is! Anybody know anything about it?

I know about 5 people (including me) using desire under three with no problems!! No at all... just get the iPhone with allowance 1gb and swap for HTC on eBay or somewhere else. My theory is, HTC gets froyo soon and can be used as router after that update,maybe three doesn't like it? That would mean that their data could be shared for free in many houses etc.

iwo wrote: »
    I know about 5 people (including me) using desire under three with no problems!! No at all... just get the iPhone with allowance 1gb and swap for HTC on eBay or somewhere else. My theory is, HTC gets froyo soon and can be used as router after that update,maybe three doesn't like it? That would mean that their data could be shared for free in many houses etc.
    iwo, that could just be my plan of attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Walkman wrote: »
    Won't be out until September at the earliest. 3 are trying to get stock but can't. It has passed all testing so you gotta ask yourself why they don't have it, it's obviously something outside their control. HTC can't keep up with worldwide demand and 3UK and 3Italy won't sell any of theirs onto 3Ireland.

HTC cant keep up with worldwide demand yet meteor have loads in stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

If the above is all true they should take the Desire off the shop page entirely. Or at least stick up a "delayed until xx.xx" image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

To hell with this. Was going to move to 3 for the Desire but it's going to be Meteor now instead.

Meteor have old stock. The issue as far as I know is the screen. IIRC Samsung made the screen but are on longer as they cannot keep up with the demand for both their phones and HTC. Also Meteor have removed it from their site for pre pay as they are running low on stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Meteor have old stock. The issue as far as I know is the screen. IIRC Samsung made the screen but are on longer as they cannot keep up with the demand for both their phones and HTC. Also Meteor have removed it from their site for pre pay as they are running low on stock.

Ya, the "issue" is supply of the screen, it's been noted on most of the major gadget sites. HTC just can't get enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    HTC cant keep up with worldwide demand yet meteor have loads in stock?

Nope, was waiting to switch to 3 and get this phone, but recently decided to stick with meteor and get it there, both Longford and Galway have none in stock, Longford was 'meant' to be getting some in yesterday but now it will be "next week". Deja vu anyone?

<edit> just looked at the meteor website: out of stock </>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭daltonr

Guys,

With all due respect you all need to take a deep breath and think this through.

If you are desperate to get your hands on a HTC desire then just go out and buy one. I bought it on O2 pre-pay last week, stuck my Three sim in it and I've been happily using it ever since.

My Three contract is up next month and I'll switch to whichever provider has the best offer.

Yes, it cost me €399 instead of the €150 - €200 that it will cost with Three if and when they even bother to sell it, but on the upside, I'm not tied into a contract and the phone isn't stuffed full of Three's crap software.

You guys spending every day phoning Three, going into Three stores and posting on this thread just does one thing. It tells Three that you're desperate for the phone. Do you think that's going to cause them to release it at a low price or a high price?

Three have been giving you all the run around for months, so forget about them. Spend an extra few quid and get the phone now and be done with it.

The latest excuse from Three of some sort of Recall is bull****. Don't you think that if a phone like this was recalled the Web would be lit up like a christmas tree with that kind of news?

Forget Three. Buy the damn phone, and if/when Three ever come up with a decent data plan then go with them, until then try Meteor month to month sim free (1gb data for €30).

FWIW it's a decent phone. It won't change your life, but I'm enjoying it.
    See here for my first impressions of it.

-Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is complete BS. The reason they don't have the HTC Desire is:

1) HTC cannot keep up with the global demand for the handset.
    2) Samsung can't keep up with the Global demand for AMOLED Screens and are also prioritising their own handsets - the Galaxy S et al.

This is causing shortages of AMOLED HTC phones globally. I would imagine 3 Ireland are pretty near the bottom of the list to get them too.

There's even strong rumours HTC is going to swap out the AMOLED Screen for an S-LCD to alleviate the problems, not sure if people would be happy with that though.

daltonr wrote: »
    and if/when Three ever come up with a decent data plan then go with them, until then try Meteor month to month sim free (1gb data for €30).

-Rd

So you think €30 for 1gb is good do you??? Also I would think 3 are commonly regarded as one of the better networks for data

So you think €30 for 1gb is good do you??? Also I would think 3 are commonly regarded as one of the better networks for data

No I don't. But sadly it's about as good as it gets in Ireland, and it's better than the Relax 150 plan that I'm on which also costs €30.
    To get 1gb of data on three I'd need to pay more.

That €30 with meteor also doesn't tie you into a contract, so for the couple of months it takes Three to get their finger out and come up with a proper plan for smart phones it will have to do.

The full Meteor plan includes 200mins and 200 Texts
    Meteor to Meteor Calls and Texts are Free.

I gave Three a chance to keep my business yesterday by asking them to give me 1gb data with my Relax150 plan. They weren't interested. Just a vague promise to have a plan for smart phones "soon".

Regardless of the plan you pick, my point is that people should stop bitching about not being able to get these phones. The phones are available. Walk into a store and buy it.
    If you really want 1gb of data on three then pay the extra and buy the add-ons.

If you don't like that option there are other providers.

The O2 Pre-Pay phones from CPW are not network locked regardless of what the guy behing the counter might tell you.

-Rd

I totally agree with you...I was waiting for iphone for about 4 weeks...then I was waiting for desire for 2 weeks. After that I said enough and decided to say good bye. The problem was, my wife's phone which I got month earlier. It would be stupid to have two different suppliers. So, I got iphone with 1GB alowance and swapped it for bran new desire with no three soft etc. I really, really wanted that phone and eventually got it! After all, I hate three and will leave next year!

• Advertisement

3 are releasing new bill pay plans in August. AFAIK data will be included in some of these, are they not giving data free to iphone customers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Just an update: popped into the 3 store in Blanch SC and asked about the Desire out of curiosity, fella said it's coming "in 2-3 weeks, together with the iPhone 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

3-4 weeks, end of the month, soon they dont tell us exactly when, they have them and they will be sent out to us after they sell them online, blah ditty blah ditty dah da dah.

3 are releasing new bill pay plans in August. AFAIK data will be included in some of these, are they not giving data free to iphone customers at the moment.

I had heard they were giving 1gb of data to iPhone users, but they guy I spoke to didn't seem interested in giving me any data. My only option was to wait for the new plans.

Will the new Three plans be available in August?
    Anyone want to bet on them hitting a deadline?

Let's say we get to August, the new plans are still two weeks away, and Meteor are no longer offering their current deal (it has already been extended once).

Best plan as I see it is to lock in the Meteor deal, and sit on it. If three come along with a decent package, then switch back. If Three drag their heels for a month or two or more, at least you are on a reasonable-ish plan while you wait.

For people with months to go on a three contract it's more of a pain. But if you're free to move then it's probably worth doing.

Incidently if you get the Desire, it's worth getting your hands on a UK sim so that you can use the full Marketplace, including paid apps.

-Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

What I heard today from a staff member in a 3 store was the iPhone 4 will be with them by July 15th. He also told me the Desire would be with them in September.

Make of that what you will. He couldn't give me a reason and we've heard them all before anyway. For what its worth I believe he was being straight with me. It's a shame.

Meteor have been solid for me so far in Dublin. No reception problems and great service.

Also, After a week of using the Desire I don't accept for a moment that there's ANY issue with the software that would warrant a recall. Other than the battery which could be better, the phone is outstanding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

daltonr wrote: »
    No I don't. But sadly it's about as good as it gets in Ireland, and it's better than the Relax 150 plan that I'm on which also costs €30.
    To get 1gb of data on three I'd need to pay more.

That €30 with meteor also doesn't tie you into a contract, so for the couple of months it takes Three to get their finger out and come up with a proper plan for smart phones it will have to do.

The full Meteor plan includes 200mins and 200 Texts
    Meteor to Meteor Calls and Texts are Free.

I gave Three a chance to keep my business yesterday by asking them to give me 1gb data with my Relax150 plan. They weren't interested. Just a vague promise to have a plan for smart phones "soon".

Regardless of the plan you pick, my point is that people should stop bitching about not being able to get these phones. The phones are available. Walk into a store and buy it.
    If you really want 1gb of data on three then pay the extra and buy the add-ons.

If you don't like that option there are other providers.

The O2 Pre-Pay phones from CPW are not network locked regardless of what the guy behing the counter might tell you.

-Rd

I'm pretty sure you don't get free meteor to meteor calls/texts on that plan, if you are talking about smart €30

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I'm pretty sure you don't get free meteor to meteor calls/texts on that plan, if you are talking about smart €30

daltonR is referring to the SMART LITE SIM ONLY plan, and you're not tied into a long-term contract.... so theoretically you could switch to this plan, and if THREE get their a$$ into gear with a smartphone decent plan, you could then switch back to THREE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

soc wrote: »
    daltonR is referring to the SMART LITE SIM ONLY plan, and you're not tied into a long-term contract.... so theoretically you could switch to this plan, and if THREE get their a$$ into gear with a smartphone decent plan, you could then switch back to THREE.

ah i see, cheers. Am I right in saying the free calls+texts are only available if you get this sim online by july 31st? also, does this mean that they will only be doing this until then? id rather not have to change plans again after buying the desire

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

ah i see, cheers. Am I right in saying the free calls+texts are only available if you get this sim online by july 31st? also, does this mean that they will only be doing this until then? id rather not have to change plans again after buying the desire

Correct - free Meteor to Meteor calls/texts are only available if you buy the sim-only plan online. I'm not sure how long the free meteor to meteor calls/texts will last though - can't find any information anywhere on website... I assume it's 'for life' (i.e. for as long as you're on the smart lite sim-only contract with Meteor)

I've been watching the smart lite Meteor deal, as IMO it looks like the best deal out there at the moment for 30 EURO. FYI it was initially due to end on 31/05, then they extended it to 30/06... and then on the 30/06 Meteor extended it again, this time to expire on 31/07. I'm not sure if they'll extend the offer again, or if 31/07 will be last chance to avail of plan.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Quick question if any of you can answer it, when you buy that sim pack that people are talking about what do you actually need, do you have to send them in any documentation or just go through the steps pay for it and then its delivered?

Advertisement