Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Announce HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Just curious about upgrade policy with 3

I'm due an upgrade at the moment, but am in 10 minds what to do with the desire, wave, x10 etc

Anyway if I dont upgrade for a while, am i correct in sayin that when I do its from my original contract date?

Reason is, a mate of mine didn't upgrade last september, if he upgrades now will he still be eligable for another upgrade in September?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

I'm back in a more negative mood today after talking to CS again. Evry time you call you get a different person with a different story and a different date and I just don't believe any of it.

I doubt that 3 give a damn about froyo. In fact, my prediction is that whenever the Desire launches on 3....July?...August?...October?....2011?.... It will have Eclaire with a couple of crappy 3 apps on it. And because it has the crappy 3 apps we won't be getting froyo.

Even if some of you use the 3 apps if they didn't put them on the phone there'd be another app you could download that would do the same thing...PLUS you could upgrade to the latest version of Android as soon as it rolls out.

I know you can just jail break the phone but do they really think their crappy add ons enrich our lives that much that we'd go without the latest OS till they can get their software to work with it.

BTW.....Is there ANYONE on boards who has an inside line on what's going on with 3 and the Desire? You don't have to post...just a PM would be fine...but post if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

feck this im paid on friday and off to the a Meteor store, im with VF anyway so if this is how 3 treat any potential customers well they ain't getting my business ,,, 'were like mushrooms keep us in the dark and feed us sh1t!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Just been told should be available around the 12th July.. 79 Euro on a 18 month deal for Relax 350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Saorog

angel01 wrote: »
    Just been told should be available around the 12th July.. 79 Euro on a 18 month deal for Relax 350.

That's interesting, we have 2 phones on a 3 Business plan, working out at 50 a month each. We were moving to Meteor to get the the Desire after waiting months for 3 to sell us two Desires (or upgrade).

They offered us 2 Desires at 186.27 each on 18 month Business contracts at 50 euro each.

I told them that was outrageous and Meteor would do it for 169.99 and 30 euro a month contracts for 18 months.

They rang back with an offer of 1 Desire at 100 euro and the other at full price and all other details the same (86.27 euro discount).

We're transferring to Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

Like it was supposed to be available mid-may, start of June, mid-june, start of july....

I'm seeing a pattern here!

gpjordanf1 wrote: »

Anyway if I dont upgrade for a while, am i correct in sayin that when I do its from my original contract date?

I believe that it's 1 year from your new signing date, not from the original date.

SteM wrote: »
    Like it was supposed to be available mid-may, start of June, mid-june, start of july....

They're wearing me down with the constantly changing launch date and no explanation. The fact that Meteor throw in the 1GB data on their 30euro a month deal (and 3 still charge an extra tenner for 1GB) really makes me wonder if I should just jump ship. From day to day their story and the date keeps changing. I know it's not the staff in 3 CS but who's running the company?!?! How long do they expect us to wait?

Angel01, was that a store that told you July 12th or was it 3 Customer Services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 deadlytea

When you think that it went on on their website as coming soon on 30-04-2010. That's almost 2 months ago with another 'possible' 2 weeks to wait. Very disappointing show from 3.

• Advertisement

raeGten wrote: »
    They're wearing me down with the constantly changing launch date and no explanation. The fact that Meteor throw in the 1GB data on their 30euro a month deal (and 3 still charge an extra tenner for 1GB) really makes me wonder if I should just jump ship. From day to day their story and the date keeps changing. I know it's not the staff in 3 CS but who's running the company?!?! How long do they expect us to wait?

3 may follow the other operators and introduce a smartphone plan. You need 1gb a month with the desire unless you're around a wi-fi connection a lot.

Gave up waiting, I jumped to meteor last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Angel01, was that a store that told you July 12th or was it 3 Customer Services?

It was a store, I am not a 3 customer yet.

3 may follow the other operators and introduce a smartphone plan. You need 1gb a month with the desire unless you're around a wi-fi connection a lot.

Gave up waiting, I jumped to meteor last week.

I am going to jump to Meteor as well, however I am annoyed that any upgrades we accrued on 3 will be wasted.

35 a month plan with Vodafone (with no minutes or txts but 2GB data 'smartphone' plan) seems very steep and poorly thought out. The phone is only 109 though on this plan, but the Meteor plan is cheaper and includes more usage though the phone is 170 online. However the Meteor.ie forums are full of woe to do with 3G call dropping on HTC (mostly Heros).

Hard to decide what is the best value and service.

I got the impression that 3 may have it before the 3 stores have it. The first few shipments may be going directly to customers that enquired online. If that's the case then maybe it's still end of June for 3 and mid July for 3 stores?

I would stay with 3 if the phone prices were comparable to say, Vodafone, but 186.27 is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Saorog wrote: »
    However the Meteor.ie forums are full of woe to do with 3G call dropping on HTC (mostly Heros).

I switched from 3 to Meteor over 2 weeks ago and have not had one connection issue or dropped call. It is so reassuraing to see it switching from 3G to Hspa to Edge seamlessly. I have never seen the same level of service from 3, in fact the 3 network, in my experience, is terrible at switching from 3G to 2G (or Edge or whatever it was that wasn't 3G)

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I switched from 3 to Meteor over 2 weeks ago and have not had one connection issue or dropped call. It is so reassuraing to see it switching from 3G to Hspa to Edge seamlessly. I have never seen the same level of service from 3, in fact the 3 network, in my experience, is terrible at switching from 3G to 2G (or Edge or whatever it was that wasn't 3G)

What area are you based in Dacelonid? Are you mostly around Dublin? The two things that are stopping me switching are the question of poor 3G reception and the fact that I get free 3 to 3 calls.
    I'd really like to switch at this stage just to teach them a lesson. Not that I think they'll miss my 30euro a month but if they loose enough customers they might start thinking about getting their act together like 3 UK and get the new phones in on time in the future.

Mostly in and around Athlone, but have used it in Galway, Dublin, Wexford without any problems. I seriously doubt you will have any 3G connection issues in Dublin.

Dacelonid wrote: »

That's great to hear, we live in Louth and never had any issues with 3, but don't know anyone with a Meteor phone to test it at our (remote) home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DFizz

Hi just to let ye know my sistor's managing a 3 shop and like most of ye I'v been waiting for bought 2 months for the desire, and apart from the official release date there was no new date set for the desire (at least she couldn't get one) till Tuesday when her head office said it wont be released till the end of July!! and even she doesn't have faith in that! (reckons it's some crap to do with some X6's being recalled). I'v given up and gone for the Samsung Wave - love the phone will just have to wait for more apps to come out on it..

• Advertisement

Saorog wrote: »
    That's great to hear, we live in Louth and never had any issues with 3, but don't know anyone with a Meteor phone to test it at our (remote) home.

I am sure you could get a meteor pay as you go sim card to try out the reception and see what it was like

DFizz wrote: »
    Hi just to let ye know my sistor's managing a 3 shop and like most of ye I'v been waiting for bought 2 months for the desire, and apart from the official release date there was no new date set for the desire (at least she couldn't get one) till Tuesday when her head office said it wont be released till the end of July!! and even she doesn't have faith in that! (reckons it's some crap to do with some X6's being recalled). I'v given up and gone for the Samsung Wave - love the phone will just have to wait for more apps to come out on it..

That settles it then. I'm off to the local Meteor store tomorrow...enough's enough. They've had their chance. And when the wifes contract is up in a couple of months it makes sense for her to come over to Meteor too. So it's another 80euro a month that 3 have lost.
    Two predictions...first I won't be able to find a meteor store in Dublin that have Desires left in stock.
    Second, as soon as I do mange to get one from meteor and sign up for 18 months, 3 will finally get the finger out and launch the phone with an amazing package that would have suited me perfectly.
    I should really try to be more positive....!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

I too, am seriously thinking of ditching 3 like you raeGten - I've been holding out in the hope that 3 would announce a date & details of any proposed new plans to accommodate the Desire... but they haven't been very forth-coming.

So, looks like 3 have lost another customer here...

This is typical....Now that I've decided to go with Meteor I can't get through to them. Goes to voice mail at the store. I can picture the scene....all the HTC Desires are being snapped up in store by a frenzied mob of soon-to-be-ex-3-customers driven bezerk by the constantly shifting launch dates and BS rumours.
    By the time I make it in there tomorrow the last HTC Desire will have been handed over and the Meteor rep will tell me "Not to worry, our suppliers promised us a delivery of Desires by the middle of July!"
    ...and that's when I'll snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

well i hope this aint the case but some have mentioned a 2week wait on meteor :mad: gonna have to call in tomorro and see os ther any in stock

ftm2008 wrote: »
    well i hope this aint the case but some have mentioned a 2week wait on meteor :mad: gonna have to call in tomorro and see os ther any in stock

Well...it's done. Left 3 and signed up with Meteor. Have the phone beside me know. For anyone else who might be interested, I believe the Meteor store in Tallaght still have 4 Desires left...ask for Vicky. Very helpful and looking forward to CS that are informed and native english speakers.

Well...it's done. Left 3 and signed up with Meteor. Have the phone beside me know. For anyone else who might be interested, I believe the Meteor store in Tallaght still have 4 Desires left...ask for Vicky. Very helpful and looking forward to CS that are informed and native english speakers.

Good man. Went in there a few times and they were always helpful.

Meteor's 12 contract is decent value I think. Can always go back to 3 next year if they have a better phone (in stock and ready to sell!).

I went for the 18 months and took out insurance as well. LOVING the phone!!! The range of apps is HUGE so I'll be going back through some of the recommendations listed elsewhere on this site.
    The delivery Tallaght got of the Desire was five....I still don't get how they could have messed up as badly as they did. I'm hearing they "underestimated the demand for the desire". But if that's the case they should still be getting SOME of them in stock. I think there's more to it then that....like they refused to pay what HTC was asking for and stuck out for a lower price and now they're paying for in a different way...lost customers.

It took me a day or two to get used to typing on the screen but after that it was easy enough. The battery life is the only problem I have with it, it's a great phone otherwise. Great to be able to check stuff on the web, news feeds, gemail etc quickly when you out and about.

Mind me asking how much insurance is per month and what it covers? I wasn't offered any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

raeGten, I'm so jealous, Fair play to you though.

I would jump ship straight away if money wasn't an issue. I still have a few months left on my contract and 3 said I will get an upgrade price when i add another year to my contract.

So unfortunately I'll have to hang in there for a bit longer, although at this rate my contract may end before they eventually get the phone out and with better deals available elsewhere I will definately be re-considering.

The cheaper the better for me.

Advertisement