Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Announce HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

SteM wrote: »
    Mind me asking how much insurance is per month and what it covers? I wasn't offered any.

I think she said it was 6.99 a month or 84 for the year. I was checking online and it's meant to be one of the cheapest. I just want to know I'm covered for the first 12 months anyway. I can cancel it as soon as I feel the Desire's only wortha couple of hundred euro. Normally I don't go for insurance but all that glass on the front and the slimness of the phone makes me nervous. Have a screen protector and rubber case on it too.

Clone wrote: »
    So unfortunately I'll have to hang in there for a bit longer, although at this rate my contract may end before they eventually get the phone out and with better deals available elsewhere I will definately be re-considering.

The cheaper the better for me.

In fairness I think when they do eventually get it it'll come in cheaper than Meteor are offering it. They should also bring in new data plans to compete with Meteor if they've any sense. I'm sure they'll have the phone toward the end of July anyway so if you've months left on you contract you'll be best sticking with them.
    At least it should have FroYo on it by the time you get it so you won't have to worry about the upgrade process.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

I'm definately locked in for another month anyway.

I'm toying with the idea of redcucing my plan or even ending on 3 and moving to Meteor as it may work out cheaper in the long run rather than signing up for another contract on the same package.

The Meteor €30 package looks good. Even If I kept my 3 contract and reduced it to the lowest price plan of €19 a month and got the meteor package I would be paying the same each month for the next couple of months and then I would be saving €19 a month and getting a more favourable data allowance once I finish with 3.

Or it might work out the same to end the contract now and jump ship.

The only differenc is I might pay more for the phone initially.

Going to do the maths so I have it ready for the day the upgrade dept finally ring me or the middle of next month. If they don't have a similar package then It will be time to go.

I might even ring around the local shops to see where its in stock. (have I started down a slippery road to Desire possesion, maybe)

raeGten is the Meteor Desire stock as in it has no real Meteor software installed? Also please let us know how you get on with the 3G reception on Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 deadlytea

Sent a msg to Three yesterday via their site asking for release date, saying how I've been given wrong info time and time again. Also mentioned this thread and how it would be good for them to give a response here.

Got a call earlier on with them saying that they 'cannot commit to a date' and never even mentioned my thread comment. That sir, is customer support...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

I still keep ringing them for updates. I think I'm actually getting a kick from the various stories at this stage.
    The latest is it will be the 1st week in July.
    Also the agent stated that they are not reserved for anyone on the "coming soon" list or that has asked to be prioritised and it will be a case of 1st come 1st served once they have them in stock :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

walked into a Meteor store today and came out with the Desire .. its oh so beautiful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Got a phone call from 3 offering me more mins etc if i stayed, i told the geezer that i'm waiting for the desire and if they don't have it at the end of July i'm moving! Lol, i don't think he was expecting that...
    I stay because of the free skype calls but i can download some application for that now...
    Another reason i'm still with 3, is the free texts for life... I send over 1000 texts per month :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Got a phone call from 3 offering me more mins etc if i stayed, i told the geezer that i'm waiting for the desire and if they don't have it at the end of July i'm moving! Lol, i don't think he was expecting that...
    I stay because of the free skype calls but i can download some application for that now...
    Another reason i'm still with 3, is the free texts for life... I send over 1000 texts per month :(

I believe they are doubling everyones minutes next month anyway, its what a mate was told in store yesterday.

We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I believe they are doubling everyones minutes next month anyway, its what a mate was told in store yesterday.

We'll see

Double units for the first 6 month of the contract from what I've been told.

Clone wrote: »
    raeGten is the Meteor Desire stock as in it has no real Meteor software installed? Also please let us know how you get on with the 3G reception on Meteor.

Sorry it took so long to get back. It's a great phone. Been busy setting it up and downloading apps.
    Thing is, so far I haven't left the house with it. All the downloads were over WiFi. No 3G. As I'm based in Dublin I'm not expecting any reception issues but I'll keep you posted on how I get on.
    So far I'm really glad I made the switch. Should have gone over back at the start of May!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 richieq1

the desire is an amazing phone and thankffully have it a month on my bill pay plan with meteor works perfect been round the country dublin cork roscommon mayo no coverage issues. battery was a concern at first downlaoded a taskikking app sorted things out

as for prices of the phone as far as im aware the phone will be 129 on an entry level basic plan so the rep told me in meteor liffey valley as of july 1st

glad i switch !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

I did the maths and justified the network switch.

I now have the HTC Desire. :D Looks great, just trying to hold out as long as possible to let it get its first charge before powering up. :o

Time to start a HTC Noob thread for must have apps and performance.

raeGten: Any recommendations to save me a bit of searching?

Astro for file level access.
    Advanced Task Killer to kill those battery sucking apps.
    3G Watchdog so you can see how much of your allowance you're using...and how much you're not using on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

raeGten wrote: »
    Astro for file level access.
    Advanced Task Killer to kill those battery sucking apps.
    3G Watchdog so you can see how much of your allowance you're using...and how much you're not using on WiFi.

If you do a Google, you'll find no shortage of links advising that Advanced Task Killer should not be used with the Desire.
    e.g. http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

i just talked to them
    they are definitely getting the phone this week latest on Friday they said

supaburger wrote: »
    i just talked to them
    hey supaburger, where did you hear that? I was in Henry street shop and onto CS and neither had a clue when it was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

deadlytea wrote: »
    hey supaburger, where did you hear that? I was in Henry street shop and onto CS and neither had a clue when it was coming.
    20 min ago
    i called 1913

20 min ago
    i called 1913
    I hope you got correct info anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I just rang 1913 just now and was told that it will not be available until next week (week starting 5th of July). We must be getting close at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

yes....I think I heard that before... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

I was onto CS a few weeks ago and they said that they would call me back when they had more info (release date at that time was end of June). Missed a call from them earlier and rang back.

Desire will be released on Monday July 5th. I asked what are the prices- we don't know. Are the price plans being revised/upgraded etc. - we don't know but they are currently giving a 1Gb data upgrade to iphone users for free. They should have the information by Friday.:rolleyes:

Obviously these guys don't our business.

I was onto CS a few weeks ago and they said that they would call me back when they had more info (release date at that time was end of June). Missed a call from them earlier and rang back.

Desire will be released on Monday July 5th. I asked what are the prices- we don't know. Are the price plans being revised/upgraded etc. - we don't know but they are currently giving a 1Gb data upgrade to iphone users for free. They should have the information by Friday.:rolleyes:

Obviously these guys don't our business.

Whats the number so I can keep an eye for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The one today was 083-3333333 but I've got calls from CS on 'private numbers' and from an 051 number (Dolphin & Rigney call centre).

Dare i say it sounds promising?

The one today was 083-3333333 but I've got calls from CS on 'private numbers' and from an 051 number (Dolphin & Rigney call centre).

Thanks

The 051 one was the one I got last year, thanks couldn't remember it.

i just talked to them
    another day of reckoning is near......or b*llsh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I was in a 3 store about 2 hours ago and the women said it wont be out for another 2/3 weeks..its really getting rediculous now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Won't be out until September at the earliest. 3 are trying to get stock but can't. It has passed all testing so you gotta ask yourself why they don't have it, it's obviously something outside their control. HTC can't keep up with worldwide demand and 3UK and 3Italy won't sell any of theirs onto 3Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Conar

Walkman wrote: »
    Won't be out until September at the earliest. 3 are trying to get stock but can't. It has passed all testing so you gotta ask yourself why they don't have it, it's obviously something outside their control. HTC can't keep up with worldwide demand and 3UK and 3Italy won't sell any of theirs onto 3Ireland.

Is that a guess or do you know something?
    I hope you're wrong :)

Advertisement