Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Wed 21st March
    Decided to give up on today session half way through , was doing 1k reps @ abotu 7:15/20 pace but hip/lower back was a little stiff. Noting major but not going to risk anything at this point. After warm-down and some light stretching it feels perfect again, maybe a bit of an over reaction.

Thursday 22nd March
    rest day
    Friday 23rd March
    6 miles nice and easy.

Sat 24th March
    13 mile slog - made a bit of a mess of today run, plan was to get out about 10/11 am so up fed and getting ready to go when something came up, so spent the morning doing a few thing.
    Finally got out the door about 1:30 and prob should have waited until after lunch. Did 4 miles in corkagh park before hitting the lucan road for a few miles, pace got a bit fast for the mid section of the run and should have slowed but just went with it and suffered a little over the last 2-3 miles.

13 miles 8:50

Sunday 25th March
    6 mile recovery run legs felt great today but kept the pace really slow. Set pace alram on garmin to make sure it didn't go faster then 9:20. Need to make sure i don't cock this up by running to fast in training and getting injured. Start line 27 days....

Monday 26th March
    Flew to Germany last night and arrived in the hotel late, alarm went off at 6:30 to go for a run, finally got out of bed at 7:15 . Some how have lost 2 horus over the last few days.....
    5 miles easy before work no fear of going faster than 9:15 for the first few miles but felt great when finishing. Have a very long day tomorrow and might be setting a 5:45 alarm to get out of bed for a run (or might take a rest day depends on time I get back from dinner tonight).

Last couple of days havent really gone to plan, away in the land of beer with miltiple free bars , have managed to avoid the Alcohol but 10-12 hour days have not been kind on the legs.
    Took tuesday off as a rest day left a free bar after 2 drinks.. :(...
    Yesterday plan was 5-6 easy miles, legs were wrecked after a day in work and could feel some cramping tired calf afer a day on my feet so decided to skip the run and get to bed early and skip free bar number 2. (one missed run won't matter at this point. right?)
    Glad the last 2 day are over now, back to normal work today so should get a nice run done tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yesterday plan was 5-6 easy miles, legs were wrecked after a day in work and could feel some cramping tired calf afer a day on my feet so decided to skip the run and get to bed early and skip free bar number 2. (one missed run won't matter at this point. right?)

Right, will have lost nothing in the grand scheme and the run could have resulted in injury. I reckon the free bars could have done loads of damage as well (especially if calf is tender) so better that you skipped them.

If you think of the easy run as a conditioning run, it just keeps the legs ticking over and helps maintain racing weight. Would have been much worse if you had of run and went on the booze as well.

• Advertisement

Yep not taking any risks now, had 2 day meeting is a 30,000 seater football stadium and there was talk of a kick around. Think someone is testing me at the moment with lots of injury risk activities.

Thursday 29th March
    10 or 11 miles around some forest and farm land, got a bit lost a few times but a very nice run

Friday 30th March
    50 min easy run around some local trails here, Not a huge fan of early morning running but flying back after work today so wont get time tonight.

Sat 31st Mach
    6 miles handy around corkagh park, Took it nice and handy on the run today, picked up a load of gear today in B2R had to leave the place before I ran out of cash.

Sunday 1st April
    Had planned to get to the park early for 10 miles then jump into the 10k that was on, but after checking the route and time i'd need to be out of bed decided to run with the boards group.

A nice 10 mile loop around the park before I left the group to get a few faster miles in. Didn't know who this would go or how the legs would handle it. Pace was a little faster than planned byut just felt great so went with it. After 2 miles I had to keep slow a little as was starting motor (well for me). Got to 5 miles and though that I might add an extra couple of miles and do 8 but decided better to quite while i'm ahead. So 6.5 miles @ 8:30 ish last 2.5 miles were a little quicker. I'm glad I didn't jump into the race in the end, if I had showed up feeling like this I'm think enough to try and race.

Once I finished up had about a 2 mile ruin back to the car, the legs suffered once I slowed the pace but nothing to bad.

18.5 miles @ 9:15

• Advertisement

Monday 2nd April
    5 mile easy recovery kept the pace very slow. I can really feel that the legs take a battering with long runs on the road, recover is much quicker on the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Monday 2nd April
    I can really feel that the legs take a battering with long runs on the road, recover is much quicker on the grass.

looks like we should pull you out of London and find you a trail marathon :)

looks like we should pull you out of London and find you a trail marathon :)
    Problem with that is its much harder during the run on grass /trail :confused:

Think i'll just stick to my London plan....

Tuesday 4th April
    5 mile recovery run on grass. Froze the B$$% of myself on this run, was cold getting changed and ran with a new pair of socks on my hands..
    Jumped on the scales for the first time today afte breakfast in about 3-4 week and had to do a double take. Havent felt much weight loss but it must have been dropping as i'm now the lightest i've been in about 12 years no wonder the long runs have been feeling easier. Still a good bit that needs to drop this year but moving in the right direction.

Wed 4th April
    Plan was for 6 easy miles and 6 faster miles, but after about 8 miles legs were feeling a bit too stiff and didnt want to risk anything so to cut the run to 9 miles. Would usually be annoyed with cutting a session short but at this stage I just want the 22nd to come. Might email dave bedford to see if he can move it to this Sunday.

9 miles @ 9:20

Thursday 5th April
    Rest day today, wasn't feeling gret last night, sore throat, tired felt like I was coing down with something, but a nice change in work shift ment a nice 11 hour sleep :D and feel perfect now.

Friday 6th April
    5 miles easy enegry levels have been a little low the last few days, with a few sick people in the house i've moved into the small room until the infected get well again.

Sat 7th April
    Miss meeting up with the boards crew but had company with a new guy from work. Wasn't feeling great before this run and first few miles were a bit of a slow. Ran a nice route in the park and took in all the nice hills. Not much in the legs today and enegry levels fairl low but managed a nice 17 miles. Feel great after getting this one done.

17 miles @ 9:20

Sunday 8th April
    40 min recovery run today, Had company on todays run and had to tell him to slow down once or twice, Legs were feeling really good today but wanted to keep the pace slow. Maybe a little faster than planned but managed to keep the pace controled. Tried to talk me into doing another 10 mins and I really wanted to keep going but kept it to 40 mins. Have to say legs have never felt this good the day after a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Friday 6th April
    5 miles easy enegry levels have been a little low the last few days, with a few sick people in the house i've moved into the small room until the infected get well again.

Don't people know us runners have races and Lsr's to do..... So inconsiderate. Lots of tissues being used in our house too!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Don't people know us runners have races and Lsr's to do..... So inconsiderate. Lots of tissues being used in our house too!

I know ... people need to think more before they get sick.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th April
    Rest day.
    Tuesday 10th April
    5 miles very easy. Needed to keep an eye on the pace today run legs felt really good and pace started to speed up mid run. These were the runs that I ran way to fast last summer and not making the same mistake this year. Was thinking of going for a sports massage this week but think I might wait until early next week.
    5 miles @9:10

Wed 11th April
    rest day
    Thursday 12th April
    2 mile warmup with 3X1 mile had some stomach issue during this run due to some poor lunch options in work. Didn't feel good at all during any part of the run because of this and was at rick or a pikey poo at any stage.
    The 3X1 went well but pace kept getting a bit to fast 7:43, 7:44, 7:34 :eek:
    A quick stop off in a coffee shop(won't be going back there for a while) and stomach issue passed.

6 miles for the day

Friday 13th April
    5 miles easy today in corkagh, wasnt feeling great on this run just a bit sluggish. Took the race gear for a bit of a spin to make sure it was ok.

5 miles @ 9 m/m

Sat 14th April
    Cut todays run short , legs were feeling a little tired and not feeling as easy as it should so playing it extra safe today.

Sunday 15 April
    Though about adding a mile or 2 onto today run to make up for yesterday but stuck exactly to the plan. Legs were feeling tired but was moving very well over the grass (maybe a bit to well) had to slow myself down turned the garmin off after 2 miles and just ran very easy.

Monday 16th April
    4 miles easy around corkagh today, legs didn't wake up at all but its been taking me 4 miles to get into runs the last few weeks so that not a suprise. My walking around legs are starting to feel very fresh after a few easy days.

Tuesday 17th April
    Rest day today and massage booked for tomorrow afternoon. Started to get my gear together last night. Now all thats left is a nice 26.2 mile jog around London.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Tuesday 17th April
    Rest day today and massage booked for tomorrow afternoon. Started to get my gear together last night. Now all thats left is a nice 26.2 mile jog around London.....

Best of luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Good luck at the weekend. With it being one of the big one's I guess the main aim is to enjoy the experience? Any time target... your training has been spot on so will you be keeping half an eye or more on the watch!

• Advertisement

Thanks, yep after last year the whole aim was to be on the startline injury free. Next part is getting to the finish line enjoying the run and time is only the 3rd part . Have been watching this marathon for 20 years so wasn't going to mess it up. Have about 2-3 plans in mind for the race but all involve a slow first few miles but thats mainly down to congestion. Depens on how slow the first few miles are i'll pick a target then. Once I don't go off at 3:30 pace I'll be grand...

Advertisement