Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Anyone ever buy a replacement housing for the N8, few cheap examples on ebay.
    Thinking of getting one.

Just wondering is it a straight forward job to take off the old one and put a new one on?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It's quite involved, there's a few videos on youtube showing it being done. I've done the end caps and screen, I also changed the rear speaker, which necessitated removing the mainboard, so I've removed the rear casing to do this.

Biggest bit was the upper end cap - twas a pig to remove.

Thanks, I might check out a few of those videos.
    If it was a simple take apart and put back together again job I thought I might manage it.

Just don't want to start something I can't finish.

If you've the screwdrivers, and the plastic knife or guitar pick, then you should be ok. I'm delighted with mine - new glass and end caps - but nicely brassed metal - it looks well. Plus Belle refresh is very nice too.

I followed the videos by this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7C8wdysbI

He has a trick for the top cap using sticky tape, which worked for me. I made a mistake by not tightening the two middle scews up tight enough, so the screen stood proud at first. Easy fix.

If you've the screwdrivers, and the plastic knife or guitar pick, then you should be ok. I'm delighted with mine - new glass and end caps - but nicely brassed metal - it looks well. Plus Belle refresh is very nice too.

I followed the videos by this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7C8wdysbI

He has a trick for the top cap using sticky tape, which worked for me. I made a mistake by not tightening the two middle scews up tight enough, so the screen stood proud at first. Easy fix.

what was the quality of the new housing like?
    And would you happen to have a link to which one you bought.

Just wary of ordering the cheapest on ebay in case they are poor quality or bad fitting. Thanks for your reply.

• Advertisement

I just went for some that were described as new and genuine. Which they were - though I suspect that they were taken from scrapped phones, rather than new, new.

I think I'm going to have to change the speaker again - the dust kills them I think. This time I'll stick some sellotape over the speaker aperture and see if it makes any difference.

Just noticed new maps on the Nokia Suite today! Great to see that they still support the old map application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Just noticed new maps on the Nokia Suite today! Great to see that they still support the old map application.

"New" maps wildefalcon? What's that about now, sounds interesting as I use the maps apps for sat nav to get around on an almost daily basis.

Oh also running Delight Belle 6.1 CFW on the phone now. For a three year old phone, it's like the phone that just keeps on giving! :D

They release new/updated maps every now and then, it's been a while since I connected the phone to the PC and there was an alert for updated maps. Good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

I miss my N8 why oh why did I get a crappy Lumia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

chris2008x wrote: »
    I miss my N8 why oh why did I get a crappy Lumia.

I have to be honest, the Symbian platform may appear "dated" etc, but from what experience I've had with the various Lumias, I just can't warm to windows phone at all at all, purely from a functional perspective as I care nothing for apps. If I'm expecting to fork out €400 on a phone- it had better be capable of everything short of brewing a decent coffee!

The N8 still fits that bill tbh, in terms of both hardware and when you stick a custom rom on there it holds it's own in terms of speed with the Lumia 820 or the S3, and it's actually still comfortable enough to type this out with my thumb while holding the phone in the same hand! You could say the same for the iphone ergonomically speaking at least, but the iphone for a €500 phone has FAR too many other shortcomings for my liking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

My N8 just packed up today. Devastated! It shut down while I was charging it, and will just not turn on again.
    Does anyone have any ideas, or is it dead?

Speeds

Have you held down the power button for 20 seconds? Until it vibrates 3 times? And then on again.

Otherwise it may be beyond DIY help.

Yep, tried that....
    :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Speedsie wrote: »
    My N8 just packed up today. Devastated! It shut down while I was charging it, and will just not turn on again.
    Does anyone have any ideas, or is it dead?

Speeds

When plugged in, does the indicator light beside the usb port, or the screen light?

You could change the battery in it

No lights when plugged in. I might bring it into FM mobile on Friday so.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Speedsie wrote: »
    No lights when plugged in. I might bring it into FM mobile on Friday so.....

Ok, let us know how you get on. If you dont get sorted send me a PM and I might be able to sort you with a battery

Will do! Glad to think it might not be dead! Great phone, and I've really no idea what I'd replace it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Are you just charging through USB? If so, there are known issues with the USB port packing up in after a couple of years. My Nokia E7 for example has become temperamental with certain chargers (a prelude to the port failing altogether). At least with the N8, you have the option of charging via the old standard Nokia charging pin.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I have to be honest, the Symbian platform may appear "dated" etc, but from what experience I've had with the various Lumias, I just can't warm to windows phone at all at all, purely from a functional perspective as I care nothing for apps. If I'm expecting to fork out €400 on a phone- it had better be capable of everything short of brewing a decent coffee!

The N8 still fits that bill tbh, in terms of both hardware and when you stick a custom rom on there it holds it's own in terms of speed with the Lumia 820 or the S3, and it's actually still comfortable enough to type this out with my thumb while holding the phone in the same hand! You could say the same for the iphone ergonomically speaking at least, but the iphone for a €500 phone has FAR too many other shortcomings for my liking!
    Great post. I've tried both Windows Phone and Android and neither phone quite manages to measure up to Symbian. In fact, every time I read Steve Litchfield extolling the virtues of the Pureview 808 on AllAboutSymbian I have a massive temptation to just hit up Handtec and snap up a Pureview 808 for £270.

• Advertisement

Great post. I've tried both Windows Phone and Android and neither phone quite manages to measure up to Symbian. In fact, every time I read Steve Litchfield extolling the virtues of the Pureview 808 on AllAboutSymbian I have a massive temptation to just hit up Handtec and snap up a Pureview 808 for £270.

My contract is up this month - the 808 is looking VERY tempting indeed.

Are you just charging through USB? If so, there are known issues with the USB port packing up in after a couple of years. My Nokia E7 for example has become temperamental with certain chargers (a prelude to the port failing altogether). At least with the N8, you have the option of charging via the old standard Nokia charging pin.

Hi Francie, no, I was charging it from a wall socket - using the slim Nokia pin.
    My brother offered to bring it in to get repaired today, hopefully it goes well!

Speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

This isn't strictly N8 related, but O2 are selling the Nokia 701 Special Offer on PAYG for €99.99 with minimum €20 top up. I'm upgrading from a C7 so I'm hoping the 701 will be faster. It's the closest to an 808 PV* I'll ever get, so for the price I'm happy enough.

*Like the C7, the 701 has an EDoF camera :(

EDIT: It's sold out, that was quick. Note that O2 don't have any plans to release an official FP2 update for it.

I got the 701 today, it wasn't locked to O2. It's only updating to FP1 though.

EDIT: It's still stuck on Belle :(

I got the 701 today, it wasn't locked to O2. It's only updating to FP1 though.

EDIT: It's still stuck on Belle :(

I just wound up changing the product code to a generic euro1 code, and the flash went fine. I'm not seeing any problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

currently on Belle ... battery life 3-4 days with my trusty N8 but headphone socket broke and USB port on the way out . Any recommendations for remedy - ie a custom firmware or replacement ?

Ta

trellheim wrote: »
    currently on Belle ... battery life 3-4 days with my trusty N8 but headphone socket broke and USB port on the way out . Any recommendations for remedy - ie a custom firmware or replacement ?

Ta
    Don't suppose it's under 2 years old? If not, then the only way to fix a the USB port is by attempting a risky soldering operation. It seems to be 50/50 on whether people can get this to work or not.

I've just hooked up the phone to the Nokia Suite and there's more new stuff - new widgets and Nokia Music.

I thought they had stopped developing!

Result.

• Advertisement

Damn and blast!

The camera on my N8 has stopped working! Now what?

Repair it? The camera module can be replaced.

Replace it with an 808? I don't really want to pay out 300 for a second-hand phone.

Can I get a Belle Refresh Theme for android?

Which Androids have a built in FM transmitter? Any androids with decent cameras?

Advertisement