Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

iOS freezes apps, and continues certain tasks (downloading, audio+streaming etc), quite clever
    Android continues running the appp, then savestates it after awhile, then eventually closes it (probably the form best suited of mobile devices)
    Symbain keeps apps running in the background till it crashes/runs out of RAM, quite brutish

Symbain is deffo the most RAM efficient (as in least use), thanks to Symbain C++
    But I have yet to see a Symbain QT app that uses less then 9mb RAM
    ah but what symbian 3 does is close apps when the ram gets too
    full,just to let ya know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

See answer above
    BE9
    Its a curse

What do you mean by my phone has been hacked?:confused: That doesn't make any sense to me...
    If you look back I sorted it (on my home router at least) by changing the security to 64 bit WEP, apparently it wasn't happy with 128 bit.

Set Opera to use Opera keyboard

Why should I have to??

recompile yourself and wait for JAF to support N8 :p

Hey I like to snooze in the mornings, what can I say:D

I figured out it only does this when the phone is off so I just leave it on at nights now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Most OS's hide this with fancy effects
    Still a 680mhz ARMv7
    Do you compare a P4 with an i3?

No, on most of the latest phones when you turn it sideways it's able to load the landscape version of the screen pretty quickly, the N8 seems to have a real problem with this, or at least mine does.

And I wasn't talking about the processor's ability, someone else had made the point that it just "seems" slower, I was making the point that it couldn't seem slower without actually being slower!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

rickyjb wrote: »
    Hey I like to snooze in the mornings, what can I say:D

I figured out it only does this when the phone is off so I just leave it on at nights now

Well Symbain is the only OS to support alarm while off :/

as for keyboard in OM, go to in Opera: wrench-icon>settings>advanced>keyboard

As for wi-fi, thats interesting, I guess it just got it wrong when scanning
    ARegarding hacking, if your phone is hacked you can solve many hard-reset requiring issues relatively easy (can take a few hours tho)
    However UDA hacking will wipe your C:\ and E:\ drive, the equivalent of a hard reset

My advice: need to hard reset? hack it and kill two birds with one stone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

I have an N8 but I'm selling it as i'd rather an iphone4.

After getting it I dont like it....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Magnum wrote: »
    I have an N8 but I'm selling it as i'd rather an iphone4.

After getting it I dont like it....

Was is it, that you dont like

Davy wrote: »
    Was is it, that you dont like

I've been messing around with it for the last couple of days and I think There is too much in it/to it (if you get my meaning) maybe its too complicated for me so I'd rather the simplicity of the iphone , I suppose its what I'm used to as I already have an iphone 3gs....:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I get what your sayin, so its more just what your used to rather than something wrong with it. You should give it a few more days before fully deciding, that would be my opinion anyways

I get what your sayin, so its more just what your used to rather than something wrong with it. You should give it a few more days before fully deciding, that would be my opinion anyways

I suppose so, up to getting an iPhone I've always had Nokia phones, maybe I should give it a bit longer before I decide what to do....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I think a lot of people have been saying what you said for a long time, that the appeal of iphone is ease of use, whereas n8 has a lot more going for it but requires more time investment. If you can stick with it though its worth it.in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

+1
    I've got both the N8 and the Iphone. After using both, my Iphone has been relegated to the desk drawer and will only be used as a spare. I won't go back to the Iphone as a permanent phone..
    dr ro wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have been saying what you said for a long time, that the appeal of iphone is ease of use, whereas n8 has a lot more going for it but requires more time investment. If you can stick with it though its worth it.in my opinion!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well I have the iPhone 3GS and its breaking my heart as a phone, poor signal, poor call quality and poor battery life. Customers complaining about call quality to the state where I have had to go back to my old phone

Now I can get the iPhone 4 or the N8. I liked Nokias and I am REALLY tempted to go for the N8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

yop wrote: »
    Well I have the iPhone 3GS and its breaking my heart as a phone, poor signal, poor call quality and poor battery life. Customers complaining about call quality to the state where I have had to go back to my old phone

Now I can get the iPhone 4 or the N8. I liked Nokias and I am REALLY tempted to go for the N8.

the iphone 4 is a pile of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

the n8's call quality is as good as you'll get, iphone 4 on the other hand is....blankety blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

ordered the n8 yesterday shud have it tomorrow any dos and donts i shud follow or any advice while using it.

thanks

Use the mass or card memory rather than filling the C memory.

Opera mini over the generic browser.

Setup your destination priorities, and set apps to 'always ask' for a data connection.

Download the latest maps from the beta site

Thats just a few off the top of my head, ask if your looking for anything more specific when you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Use the mass or card memory rather than filling the C memory.

Opera mini over the generic browser.

Setup your destination priorities, and set apps to 'always ask' for a data connection.

Download the latest maps from the beta site

Thats just a few off the top of my head, ask if your looking for anything more specific when you get it

opera mini do i have to download that??
    not great with all this im sure i will get it once i get the phone :o

JonnyM wrote: »
    opera mini do i have to download that??
    not great with all this im sure i will get it once i get the phone :o

Ye you can download it using the phone, or you can use the pc and install it that way.

You will find the info here:> http://www.opera.com/mobile/download/versions/

Or just go to m.opera.com in the phones browser. If doing it this way, setup the wlan first to save on data usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Just a heads up for those who are encountering problems updating Ovi Maps (and other assorted issues with sw updates).

I updated to the latest version of (v3.06) OVI Maps and immediately ran into a major amount of problems trying to update the maps (timeouts, assorted errors, Ovi Suite crashes etc). Plus I could not find the option to update via my wifi connection. I was also not able to load the Midnight themes.

The problem is not the phone or the OS (as some trolls would like us to believe), but Ovi Suite itself. v2.2x does not support the new maps and also has some difficulties with N8 updates in general. There is a fairly long post on this, in Ovi Map support, with various solutions (including deleting some files in the N8 itself).

Not being very keen or brave enough to start deleting files without knowing what I was actually doing, I found a far easier solution that worked for me - Uninstalled v2.2x of Ovi Suite and installed beta version 3.0.0.284.
    Solved ALL of my issues. I was instantly able to update my Ovi Maps, Midnight theme and Social app. No problems whatsoever. Beta v3.0.0.284 is rock solid on my Win 7 X64 platform.

In addition, I went over to Ovi Maps site and downloaded v3.06 10wk50b03. Hey presto - all options including wifi updates are now present (and working perfectly).
    v3.06 10wk50b03 is significantly faster than the original version shipped with the phone and also the "upgrade" version offered as part of sw update.
    IMHO, I would suggest to skip the "upgrade" version offered in sw update and go directly to 3.06 10wk50b03.

Thanks for all the help Guys but I'm sticking to my other phone, the N8 is now for sale on Adverts http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nokia-n8/382728

• Advertisement

im selling mine too its to big for my liking
    http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nokia-n8-on-meteor/384823
    got the new C6-01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

jimmynokia wrote: »
    im selling mine too its to big for my liking
    http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nokia-n8-on-meteor/384823
    got the new C6-01

what a waste! :eek:

not at all its a little gem

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Agreed.. if you don't want the N8's camera, the C6-01 is a lovely phone. Smaller than any comparable smartphone, and it feels much more expensive than it is.

By the way, a Finnish analyst is claiming that Nokia shipped around 4 million N8s last quarter. ( Source: Bloomberg ). For a single model, and one that's not available on any US carrier, that's pretty good going

Yes, that's an estimate (Nokia don't usually announce the sales figures of a handset unless a model sells a hundred million or so), and it's shipped units, not sold units. But, if Ireland is anything to go by, this phone is still supply-constrained, so shipped is sold.

If correct, this would put the N8 into the same sales bracket as the Samsung Galaxy S (estimated at 4--5 Million), which has carrier subsidies in all markets, but far behind the iPhone (~15 Million). Android sales combined, of course, are similar to iPhone's.

Oh, speaking of combined sales: it seems that Windows Phone 7 combined sales are around the 2.5--3 million mark, Microsoft aren't saying exactly, except that it managed 1.5 million in the first 6 weeks. That was the total shipments of all phones running WP7 - there's no model-by-model breakdown available.

KrisW wrote: »
    Agreed.. if you don't want the N8's camera, the C6-01 is a lovely phone. Smaller than any comparable smartphone, and it feels much more expensive than it is.

By the way, a Finnish analyst is claiming that Nokia shipped around 4 million N8s last quarter. ( Source: Bloomberg ). For a single model, and one that's not available on any US carrier, that's pretty good going

Yes, that's an estimate (Nokia don't usually announce the sales figures of a handset unless a model sells a hundred million or so), and it's shipped units, not sold units. But, if Ireland is anything to go by, this phone is still supply-constrained, so shipped is sold.

If correct, this would put the N8 into the same sales bracket as the Samsung Galaxy S (estimated at 4--5 Million), which has carrier subsidies in all markets, but far behind the iPhone (~15 Million). Android sales combined, of course, are similar to iPhone's.

Oh, speaking of combined sales: it seems that Windows Phone 7 combined sales are around the 2.5--3 million mark, Microsoft aren't saying exactly, except that it managed 1.5 million in the first 6 weeks. That was the total shipments of all phones running WP7 - there's no model-by-model breakdown available.

seen this message the other day 4 mil is alot
    what does it tell you
    come up with a good phone and your sorted LOL

just to note for symbian3 user
    progolf 2011 is now available to download OTA via ovi its 4 euro but its savage took about 20 mins for me to download it via data,so if you have good data plan its a must the graphics are top notch and beware if you dont like your phone talking back to saying you took a bad shot its not for you but if you take a good shot it compliments and so does the crowd
    its a must for golf lovers

just to note for symbian3 user
    progolf 2011 is now available to download OTA via ovi its 4 euro but its savage took about 20 mins for me to download it via data,so if you have good data plan its a must the graphics are top notch and beware if you dont like your phone talking back to saying you took a bad shot its not for you but if you take a good shot it compliments and so does the crowd
    its a must for golf lovers

You mean real golf 2011? you can get it free via ovi suite and no need to worry about your download allowance :)

You mean real golf 2011? you can get it free via ovi suite and no need to worry about your download allowance :)
    its free for the nokia N8
    YOU PAY FOR IT if you have C7/C6-01

if you have no data allowance you would be shafted
    if you have its 123 mb if i can remember to be exact
    or you can use wifi of course it suggests wifi on nokia site you cant download anything to pc from ovi btw
    no wifi in my area so i used data i have unlimited data so im ok
    its savage.

its free for the nokia N8
    YOU PAY FOR IT if you have C7/C6-01

if you have no data allowance you would be shafted
    if you have its 123 mb if i can remember to be exact
    or you can use wifi of course it suggests wifi on nokia site you cant download anything to pc from ovi btw
    no wifi in my area so i used data i have unlimited data so im ok
    its savage.

but you install it via cable from ovi suite on the pc, thats how i did it

fair play i never even looked to be honest i just got the email alert via my phone
    from all about symbian and got it as i was on the road didnt mind paying the 4 euro either been waiting ages and as you prob know i had the N8 and sold it on as i was fed up with it moved to the C6-01 its a little gem:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

we must give count of best scores
    have to regisiter for it though to up load keep in touch on the course doonbeg of course been irish is number one ...

Advertisement