Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Italia wrote: »
    I saw this link a while ago, but didn't download it, as there were many reports that it didn't work with the N8.
    From your reply, I take it that it is a new version and has no issues with the N8 (IOW - a straightforward installation)?

Yes no hitches. I have had it pretty much since i got the phone, and no problems yet. It has all the features that i can think off, shows the profile pics, does IM as well as the calls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

trying to transfer files from phone to multimedia player via usb Phone says memory card corrupted. Does anyone know what i need to do. It says mass storage's unavailable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you been using the memory card ok?

If you want to use the mas memory, change the connection mode from ovi suite (this is setup as automatic default) to 'mass storage'. you will find this in menu > settings > connectivity > usb.

You can also hit the notification section on the top right corner after you connect the usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

rickyjb wrote: »
    I usually stay with one of the lower frequencies like 88.1 or 88.3, even if there is a faint signal there you usually can't hear anything even during the quiet parts of playback.

With regards to the microSD card I bought this one over Christmas for 66 delivered which was the best I could find, mind you they'll prob become cheaper as more become available, there weren't that many 32gig ones to be found. Haven't had a chance to set it up but I plan to use it exclusively for music and use the 16gb on the phone for photos/videos/apps etc. I'm hoping that way everything should run smoothly. I also hope there's a way to do this!

I'll let you know how I get on and what the card's like once I get everything transferred to where I want it...

thats very steep just seen this one on e-bay goin get it meself

http://cgi.ebay.ie/New100-32GB-Micro-Mini-SD-SDHC-Memory-Card-32-GB-/150545432140?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item230d34fe4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

fake cards,you will be lucky if it lasts two weeks.
    i know friends that have got them on the cheap.
    waste of money...if its too good to be true,blah blah..
    tbh a lot of stuff on ebay is fake:
    thats the reason why its so cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I got my N8 a few days before Christmas and the wife says she can't figure out how a well grown man could spend so much time playing with a phone.

There were a few times over the holiday when I looked at the wall to choose a spot, but I have to say that it's growing on me.

Most of the problems I encountered were down to pilot error.

It's my first phone without buttons and I'm getting on a bit, the technology is getting ahead of me.

I haven't read through the whole thread so maybe it's been covered but one of my few remaining niggles is bookmarks saved as shortcuts.

I have a panel of 4 bookmarks saved and they all have the same icon of a globe on a www background. It would be really nice to figure out a way to give each one it's own icon, with some representation of the web page it links to.

Can anyone enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

wilson10 wrote: »
    I got my N8 a few days before Christmas and the wife says she can't figure out how a well grown man could spend so much time playing with a phone.

There were a few times over the holiday when I looked at the wall to choose a spot, but I have to say that it's growing on me.

Most of the problems I encountered were down to pilot error.

It's my first phone without buttons and I'm getting on a bit, the technology is getting ahead of me.

I haven't read through the whole thread so maybe it's been covered but one of my few remaining niggles is bookmarks saved as shortcuts.

I have a panel of 4 bookmarks saved and they all have the same icon of a globe on a www background. It would be really nice to figure out a way to give each one it's own icon, with some representation of the web page it links to.

Can anyone enlighten me.

use Opera Mobile
    default browser is a joke, hasnt changed much since N95 4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Apologies if this has been covered already. I just wanted to check if there's a way to select alternative routes with the GPS when going somewhere with this Handset. Like for eg. with Google Maps you might get 3-4 Routes available to choose from, when you use GPS and "Drive" on the N8, it automatically goes into giving directions - not giving any options for alternative routes available. So is there just one standard route that you get directions from with N8 GPS, or is there a way I can bring up alternative routes available and pick my own route for myself, - where it gives the speaking directions with that .....

On the GPS directions / starting-point screen, at the bottom of the screen just above Options and Stop, it has a black and white-writing "moving-text" message/notice starting off with with the words Faster Route: then a sentence or two about Motorway, Ferry, and Tunnels. I had thought that maybe this would turn out to be a faster route, but I can't even click into this "moving-text2 thing. I see when ya go into Route Settings, under the Route Selection field there are options for Faster Route, Optimised Route and Shorter Route, but I don't know what the differences in these three are?

And another thing is there anyway I can get an over-view / summary of sorts of length of journey, and locations that will be included in my trip before I set off to drive .....

Oh! Actually I was just thinking. Sure if you head away or set off in a different direction than that instructed / directed, - the automated voice automatically re-calculates / re-defines / re-routes directions they are calling out, so that could work in an alternative route sense but I guess you're always going to have to have an idea of where you're going to anyways just to be on the safe side. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

angry birds and pro golf the only one angry will be the misses just like mine LOL
    this will keep you on your phone all day two class games and now angry birds seasons is out

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

im going to have to get a spare battery im on the phone that much LOL:D

Apologies if this has been covered already. I just wanted to check if there's a way to select alternative routes with the GPS when going somewhere with this Handset. Like for eg. with Google Maps you might get 3-4 Routes available to choose from, when you use GPS and "Drive" on the N8, it automatically goes into giving directions - not giving any options for alternative routes available. So is there just one standard route that you get directions from with N8 GPS, or is there a way I can bring up alternative routes available and pick my own route for myself, - where it gives the speaking directions with that .....

On the GPS directions / starting-point screen, at the bottom of the screen just above Options and Stop, it has a black and white-writing "moving-text" message/notice starting off with with the words Faster Route: then a sentence or two about Motorway, Ferry, and Tunnels. I had thought that maybe this would turn out to be a faster route, but I can't even click into this "moving-text2 thing. I see when ya go into Route Settings, under the Route Selection field there are options for Faster Route, Optimised Route and Shorter Route, but I don't know what the differences in these three are?

And another thing is there anyway I can get an over-view / summary of sorts of length of journey, and locations that will be included in my trip before I set off to drive .....

Oh! Actually I was just thinking. Sure if you head away or set off in a different direction than that instructed / directed, - the automated voice automatically re-calculates / re-defines / re-routes directions they are calling out, so that could work in an alternative route sense but I guess you're always going to have to have an idea of where you're going to anyways just to be on the safe side. :)

Where to start :pac:

You can select fastest, shortest etc as you mentioned, either before you set your course or during in the options > Rt points. Fastest will go by time, and shortest will go by distance. So if you set to fastest, it might direct you on the m50, where if you set to shortest it would take you through the city, pretty straight forward.

You cant do as google maps and drag sections to choose a different route unfortunately. You can add points handy enough if you want to go a certain way, or need to make multiple stops.

You change what you see as your dashboard screen, slide your finger either left or right. Their is 4 different options to choose from. One where it will show you each turn along the route, as you click the arrow it will go through each junction. Hope this is some help if any :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Cheers Davy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

JonnyM wrote: »

A 32gb micro SDHC card for $18 with free shipping?? :confused::rolleyes:

I'd be careful there if I were you given that those cards are well over a hundred quid from the Sandisk website and the standard of english used in the ad.

And that's not even mentioning the quoted "almost 0.07% defect percentage" :rolleyes:

Let us know how you get on anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Latest I've read:

PR1.0 - already on your phone ;)

PR1.1 - within two weeks. Bug fixes, stability and optimisation. Allegedly a lot faster than PR1.0. Also some tweaks to camera - pics are much bigger with more detail. No new browser. Split-screen kb may arrive in other applications (it's already in the OS, but applications have to choose to use it). Some say this release will over-clock (re-clock, actually, it's underclocked now) the CPU to 800-ish MHz, but this may be nonsense... Qt4.7 (very important new features for devs, and will open the way for a lot of third-party apps) may get into this one, but is due in PR2.0.

PR2.0 - E7 and X7 product launch, February/March (?). New browser, change to homescreen scrolling method, portrait qwerty kb, possible Swype keyboard pre-installed, plus more. This release is the one behind the "50 new features" promise.

PR3.0 - Late summer 2011. What was going to be called "Symbian^4" - built-in applications re-written to conform to Nokia's new look-and-feel which will be common between MeeGo and Symbian devices. Like the rest of Nokia's MeeGo product work, this UI design is under Apple-like levels of secrecy, and so nothing has been leaked yet (the MeeGo documents on the web are for the "stock" OS, without manufacturer customisations).

1.1 and 2.0 do seem very close together, and it was believed that 1.1 was ditched, but it now seems to be back on the cards. Perhaps PR2.0 may be delayed on other handsets, so while it might *ship* on the E7/X7, it won't be available as an upgrade to other users for a while after.

I don't have any inside info - this is just from sifting through a lot of info about the release plans, and leaks from people who do seem to have inside info.

A 32gb micro SDHC card for $18 with free shipping??
    When something looks too good to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

i hope they keep the current key board as an option

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

A 32gb micro SDHC card for $18 with free shipping?? :confused::rolleyes:

I'd be careful there if I were you given that those cards are well over a hundred quid from the Sandisk website and the standard of english used in the ad.

And that's not even mentioning the quoted "almost 0.07% defect percentage" :rolleyes:

Let us know how you get on anyway...

will do should have it this week id say, i know the price was way below what it shud be but just wanted to see whats the craic with them.
    Seller has sold over 90 of them already but i will not be leaving feedback of any kind untill i have the card in use for atleast a week.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Downloaded the new version of the Ovi Suite for my laptop and its now refusing to connect it to the internet, no issues with the previous version.

Any other folk have this sort of problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

had the same problem with my 5800,
    turned out it was an app i downloaded,try removin some apps you
    download around that time.it may or may not work,worth a try
    Raedwald wrote: »
    Downloaded the new version of the Ovi Suite for my laptop and its now refusing to connect it to the internet, no issues with the previous version.

Any other folk have this sort of problem?
    no not on my end,did you reboot laptop/pc?
    tbh when i dl it it had to re-install drivers for the phone,
    maybe you just need to leave the phone connected for
    a while an come back to it?might work.
    just try it an report back.
    good luck my man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

Hi Guys,

Anyone bought a Vodafone N8 recently? Have they started locking/branding them? Really want to get this but I'll need to use a UK SIM in it sometimes so has to be unlocked.

Thanks

Most of them are locked yes, not much branding on them, but if you get one, you can get the lock removed in a shop. Will cost you around €30 - €40

CC-1005_240x240.png CC-1005

Good review: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/12463_Nokia_CC-1005_Silicone_Cover.php
    Buy here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003QCK3HY - click amazon seller on the right hand side

I have it a few weeks now i like it. The review gives it better detail than i could. Two things i would add, it makes it harder to get out of your pocket (which can be good and bad) because of the silicone more resistive. The other thing is, this will work in the N8 car holder even with the silicone case on the handset. Would be a pain to be taking it on and off.

R6_CR-122_240x240.png CR-122

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

More connectivity issues with this phone *sigh*

I used a pair of sony bluetooth headphones which came with an mp3 player as a hands free option for the car with my old nokia (some kind of xpress music, 52xx) with no issues. Went to connect the same headphones to the N8 and I can't get the phone to recognise them, they just won't show up when I try to pair a new device. I know it's not the headphones as I've tried them with a couple of other phones, you just push the button and they show up straight away.

Has anyone managed to connect a similar set of headphones to their N8? I'll be really annoyed if these are somehow not compatible, its ridiculous that they worked with the old phone but won't connect to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

More connectivity issues with this phone *sigh*

I used a pair of sony bluetooth headphones which came with an mp3 player as a hands free option for the car with my old nokia (some kind of xpress music, 52xx) with no issues. Went to connect the same headphones to the N8 and I can't get the phone to recognise them, they just won't show up when I try to pair a new device. I know it's not the headphones as I've tried them with a couple of other phones, you just push the button and they show up straight away.

Has anyone managed to connect a similar set of headphones to their N8? I'll be really annoyed if these are somehow not compatible, its ridiculous that they worked with the old phone but won't connect to this.
    had the same problem myself with a nokia bluetooth headset.
    turns out the headset was connecting to my N95 (which it was paired with) and would not show up on my N8. try turn off all other bluetooth devices in the house a see if it works then

• Advertisement

Advertisement