Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Sitec wrote: »
    I hope so, mine does it 6/7 times a day, very annoying considering the price of the phone.

A small number of early handsets have a power management fault that causes restarts or inability to power up. Is this what you're seeing? In any case, 6 restarts a day isn't normal - bring it back to the shop and ask for a fix/refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

I got the N8 today, a dark grey one from Meteor. I just checked a Vodafone SIM in it there, and Meteor seem to have locked it. :( I signed up to the Smart 50 plan, but with the "Family and Friends" offer, so I'm stuck with them for 18 months at €25. In total, 18 months of 400 mins/texts + 2 gig data + the phone should cost me about €570, which I think is a good deal (270 more than I would have a paid if I stayed on my current plan(€15pm) and hadnt got the phone).
    First impressions are so-so, I have an N85 at the moment, so I'm not exaclty geting any revolutionary features and there isn't really any wow factor since I've played with a load phones in the price range over the past few days.

The UI is nothing really new to me either, coming from S60v3 fp2. The homescreens are nice, but not really revolutionary with only a few widgets at the moment and dont look as cool as the HTC's. :rolleyes:

Web browser is ok, but strggles to match the iPhone tbh.

I still have the plastic on it, so I can't give a fair review of the camera.

Part of the reason I went for the N8 over the Desire or Omnia 7 was the Ovi Maps. Very handy in another country if you don't want to search for a Wifi hotspot to use Google Maps)

All in all, I'm not blown away by it, even if it has every feature you could ever want! I think its partly the fact I'm already used to boring but functional OS, and partly I just wanted something new(Battery is goign on the N85, camera button fell off, and the battery cover is a bit loose) and partly that I shouldn't have opened a christmas present early.

Actually, the reason I did open it today was to find out if I was really happy with it before its too late. Do I have a cooling off period with Metero where I can exchange it for something different if I decide I really dont want it in the next few days?!

(TBH, I always question decisions like this even after I research them properly and finally make up my mind!)

From another thread, you've 14 days to back out of a contract with no penalty.

My own experience is that the N8 is a slow-burner. It doesn't have the instant "wow" factor of iPhone, but it's not as limited either.

On Apple, a friend of mine had the dubious pleasure of working on a project managed personally by Steve Jobs. It was as bad as you'd imagine, but one thing Jobs said was interesting: basically, he didn't give a crap as long as it looked fantastic for the ten minutes in the store while the customer is playing with it. This one statement explains a lot about Apple in the last 10 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

KrisW wrote: »
    A small number of early handsets have a power management fault that causes restarts or inability to power up. Is this what you're seeing? In any case, 6 restarts a day isn't normal - bring it back to the shop and ask for a fix/refund.

N8 and C7s do seem to have a significant issue - that Nokia have acknowledged - where the phone either arrives DOA or eventually ends up dead, usually proceeded with a period of restarts for the phone.

Here's an article from Mobile-review. I'd normally take MR with a grain of salt given Eldars relationship with Nokia, but other sources are backing him up on this.

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2010/n8-brak-en.shtml

Yeah, I think it's the fact I'm missing that wow factor, having based my decision on the capability of the N8, rather than on the UI. I couldn't bare having a UI which looks nice but is severely limited. I know updates are en route from Nokia too.

Some things just aren't as polished as say iOS, but if Nokia get the finger out, Symbian still has some serious potential.

I think I'll keep it though, since I'm already getting a good deal, if a really decide I don't like it in a months time, I could sell it and pay a bit more for say a Desire HD and I wouldn't feel too out of pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I said I've always had problems with mobile devices (in general) and routers (in general), so my first finger of blame would be pointed at the router. I don't know your model, sorry..

Easiest way to check is to try to connect to a friend's WLAN. If that works, you know where the problem is.

I did this and it worked with the eircom router in my parents house but not at work. So out of 3 routers I've tried to connect to 1 worked, not great really is it?? I'd still say the problem is the N8... I don't think I should have to get a new wireless router just to connect my new mobile phone to the internet, I bet I wouldn't have a problem using the router with any other kind of phone that supports Wlan access.

Other issues I've been having (minor enough but still annoying) is that opera mobile 10.1 regularly closes itself, usually when I'm inputting text with Swype (some kind of compatability issue here also?). And for some reason when I press snooze on the alarm it freezes the phone meaning the alarm doesn't go off again. Made me late for work 2 days last week!!:mad:

Opera and Swype don't like each other, true.

Can't help you with the WLAN, really. Only thing is - have you set up an access control list based on MAC address on your home LAN? Your work WLAN may be doing this.

If so, you'll need to add your phone's MAC address to the list. Tap "Call" > and dial *#95260622#" (*#wlan mac#) by tapping the number keys. - give this number to your IT guy (work), or add it to the "allow" list on your home WLAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Hi!

Anyone have any trouble with compatibility with cards or recommend one over another?

Was looking at getting one of these: 16GB Transcend microSDHC CL2 memory card.

Ta!
    M.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I havn't actually looked up the Specs, but just make sure that the card has a high enough read/write speed to cope with recording/playing HD video.

I had this problem with a fairly decent make of card on an old 6630, where the video would pause for a second every few seconds.

I was looking for a 32gb card myself (posted a while back but didn't get any responses) anyone get one or come across any decent looking options?

Doesn't seem to be too many out there at the moment bar the sandisk one which is only class 2

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

I think I've bought that one - 16GB Sandisk microSDHC memory card w/SD adapter. Went with Sandisk as most web comments seem to suggest going with the old reliable (i hope!)
    Will post again after I've tested it.

I had considered the 32GB Integral microSDHC CL4 - but tbh, for my own needs, I couldn't justify the price.

One comment from another site:

If you'd like the storage capacity of having a 32GB card (I can't get by without mine) then just get one, simply record your video to the internal card and you're good to go. Class 2 makes basically no difference when it comes to in-phone performance, high def video recording would be about the only meaningful case-use scenario, but by recording to the internal memory you can circumvent that issue.

Kanedmick wrote: »
    I think I've bought that one - 16GB Sandisk microSDHC memory card w/SD adapter. Went with Sandisk as most web comments seem to suggest going with the old reliable (i hope!)
    Will post again after I've tested it.

I had considered the 32GB Integral microSDHC CL4 - but tbh, for my own needs, I couldn't justify the price.

One comment from another site:

If you'd like the storage capacity of having a 32GB card (I can't get by without mine) then just get one, simply record your video to the internal card and you're good to go. Class 2 makes basically no difference when it comes to in-phone performance, high def video recording would be about the only meaningful case-use scenario, but by recording to the internal memory you can circumvent that issue.

That's interesting is it really only hd video recording the whole class thing matters for?? I was gona just put all my music onto the card and use the itnernal memory for photos/videos apps etc. What about transferring files to/from the phone or even scrolling through your music, would it make that horribly slow if you had a class 2 card?

And are Sandisk the only option at the moment for 32gb?? I know they have a good reputation but they're also expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

Hey quick question my N8 is driving me mental I have had it for about a month and it will now not turn to the blank black screen when i lock it. Instead it just stays on the 1st home page with light shining so the battery is wasting in about a day?? Any advice on how to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Anyone know whats going on with 3 they still have not got one in stock yet all the other networks do.:eek:

they are due them in this week saturday at latest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Thanks for that Jimmy:D what I find hard to beleive is people who ordered it online got them nearly two weeks ago.

meteor have same policy if shop has not got it and you order on line you will get it online fcukin stupid if you ask me when they have the stock ,not sure about the rest of networks but i assume its similar

With Meteor the shops and the online store are two completely different entities and are basically in competition with each other, that's why. I assume the levels of stock are also separate.

• Advertisement

Opera and Swype don't like each other, true.

Can't help you with the WLAN, really. Only thing is - have you set up an access control list based on MAC address on your home LAN? Your work WLAN may be doing this.

If so, you'll need to add your phone's MAC address to the list. Tap "Call" > and dial *#95260622#" (*#wlan mac#) by tapping the number keys. - give this number to your IT guy (work), or add it to the "allow" list on your home WLAN.

It would be pretty unusual to have an access control list set up, I certainly don't have one at home and I'm pretty sure that the open "guest" network at work doesn't have one on the basis that it's for visitors to use and I doubt they ask their computer's MAC address when they arrive on site...

I rang the Nokia call centre, funniest conversation of my life. Needless to say they were less than helpful, my two options were to wipe everything off my phone (how this was gona help I've no idea) or bring it to somewhere in Clondalkin.

I ended up playing around with it myself and figured out that it mustn't be compatible with 128 bit WEP security as when I changed my browser settings to 64 bit it worked. Strange as it gives you the option to use 128 bit...

Alot of dodgy/unfinished elements to this phone but overall its quite good to use. I guess once you find a way to work around the stuff that doesn't work quite right you're laughing.

Yeah.. I had a problem connecting to my neighbour's WLAN last weekend, so there is definitely something there.

There's supposed to be a firmware update in the next couple of weeks. Hoping it fixes these little problems. A full reset is not the solution for this kind of problem; a bit worried that it's being suggested as a first-line remedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

I got a new N8 yesterday from Vodafone. Worked brilliantly - looked great. This morning it died. Wouldn't start up at all - well I got a blank white page... Tried several re-boots. Nada. Eventually it came on but I don't trust it anymore. Vodafone will collect it and repair/replace it but i'm disgusted at Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If you researched the device at all you would have seen that there was a power issue wih a small percentage of N8's produced and that Nokia openly admitted it and said all devices will be replaced!

These things can happen with mass produced appliances.....its not ideal...but it happens!

adodsk wrote: »
    I got a new N8 yesterday from Vodafone. Worked brilliantly - looked great. This morning it died. Wouldn't start up at all - well I got a blank white page... Tried several re-boots. Nada. Eventually it came on but I don't trust it anymore. Vodafone will collect it and repair/replace it but i'm disgusted at Nokia.

this was a software issue with the first batch of phones since then this has been fixed there should be a date of receipt from network on the box
    any nokia N8 from any retailer thats faulty HAVE TO replace it on the spot ...

except the cpw from what i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭long_b

Can anyone who's upgraded from an N82 or N86 give real world impressions of the camera performance ?
    I've read a fair few reviews and seen the fancy arty shots by what's t like in day to day use, quick snaps indoors etc .. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I have the phone a couple me weeks, but just started messing around with the camera. Have to say that I'm very impressed. Very good quality even at night, although it took a bit of fine tuning with the settings to get the best out of the low light set-ups. I've had decent cameras that didn't have as good a picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have the phone a couple me weeks, but just started messing around with the camera. Have to say that I'm very impressed. Very good quality even at night, although it took a bit of fine tuning with the settings to get the best out of the low light set-ups. I've had decent cameras that didn't have as good a picture.

Ye I would agree, I was disappointed at the low light settings at first, but think its a bit better now. Anytime I show people videos on it, they cant get over the quality of it. I meant to take a few and upload them but i never got time. I will try over christmas. I haven't got a n82 handy, but i will compare with the n97 longb if thats any use to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭long_b

Davy wrote: »
    Ye I would agree, I was disappointed at the low light settings at first, but think its a bit better now. Anytime I show people videos on it, they cant get over the quality of it. I meant to take a few and upload them but i never got time. I will try over christmas. I haven't got a n82 handy, but i will compare with the n97 longb if thats any use to ya

Thanks anyway Davy but I'd really expect it to leave the N97 in the dust quality wise.

While I'm at it - does anybody know of a program that'll play VOB files ?

• Advertisement

Yeah.. I had a problem connecting to my neighbour's WLAN last weekend, so there is definitely something there.

There's supposed to be a firmware update in the next couple of weeks. Hoping it fixes these little problems. A full reset is not the solution for this kind of problem; a bit worried that it's being suggested as a first-line remedy.

tbh when I was telling him the problem and what I had tried so far he didn't even sound like he understood when I was referring to the phone menus, let alone router settings!!:rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend calling them unless you're REALLY stuck and even then I reckon that's the solution they recommend to most people i.e. wipe everything and do a full software reset or bring it to your local Nokia repair centre. It was really obvious he was just reading from a script, he ignored everything I told him and then tried to blame the router even though it works fine with another mobile and 2 laptops.

Advertisement