Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

does anybody here that has the N8 use it to log onto boards.ie?
    if so are you having any issues when posting like the phone cutting out from boards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jimmynokia wrote: »
    does anybody here that has the N8 use it to log onto boards.ie?
    if so are you having any issues when posting like the phone cutting out from boards?

Haven't had problems nope............:confused:

What browser are you using

Davy wrote: »
    Haven't had problems nope............:confused:

What browser are you using
    im using the standard browser on my NOKIA N8
    it does not happen all the time and its the only site im having this problem with
    it seems to be since the change over as with adverts some links wont work on the phone but worked fine in previous phones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What exactly happens and i will let you know if it happens me. Are you on normal or mobile version?

Davy wrote: »
    What exactly happens and i will let you know if it happens me. Are you on normal or mobile version?

when i open boards its ok when i got to post it just cuts out ,its on the normal version...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭long_b

Opera Mobile or Opera Mini ftw IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Just wondering if anybody can tell me is the N8 available in any other colours in Ireland other than black? I know vodafone have it in green too but I wouldn't consider moving to those robbers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

The O2 store N8s are silver.

I asked about different colours but didn't get anywhere. I asked about O2's homescreen widgets that never update but didn't get anywhere. I see a pattern developing..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

jeremyr62 wrote: »

I asked about different colours but didn't get anywhere. I asked about O2's homescreen widgets that never update but didn't get anywhere. I see a pattern developing..

Yeah, O2 don't seem all that appealing either...especially after some of the threads I've read on here about them lately! I suppose I'm looking at meteor and 3.

jeremyr62 wrote: »

I asked about different colours but didn't get anywhere.

o2 have the dark grey version. Their isnt a black version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

no it does not come in black but carphone warehouse calls it black on their website they also have it in green and silver did'nt see any other colours there

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

The fact that the phone's memory wont spell simple words and them keep in it's memory is really annoying me. All is always spelt with a capital A and refuses to change to a small one and Will is the same never with a small w as to be inputted into the phone every time. Argh!

Also the full Opera browser does not work either, have had to download the mini version.

Just wondering if anybody can tell me is the N8 available in any other colours in Ireland other than black? I know vodafone have it in green too but I wouldn't consider moving to those robbers!!

phones online have some but highly priced

the other colors will become available in time

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

just upgraded ovi maps earlier. It's fantastic. Show's what the phone is capable of. Roll on firmware upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Its a shame Nokia insist on using this crappy OS
    I've spent enough time modding and using it to know its crap and will never catch up with the competition

Shame though since the specs of the N8 (and C7) are impressive bar the RAM, processor, and that goddamn OS

So with a UI makeover a year away, and most of the OS's core issues wont be fixed, making this a phone hard to reccommend
    Not to mention increased QT use would lead to serious RAM strain
    And Symbain with low RAM is not a pretty thing
    Not to mention the apps front (the "app" sales figures include wallpapers, vids and crappy blog widgets) which is doomed, esp seeing lack of QT takeup

Would be nice to see Nokia making Androids, but that wont happen
    Lets hope those WP7 rumours are true eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Picard Alpha359

Hi can anyone help me? I bought this phone a couple days ago and i can't connect to the internet through 3G. I can connect ok through my home WiFi but outside the house it tells me "Connection Failed".

My connection settings in "Internet" are - priority 1 is O2, priority 2 is gprs and priority 3 is Belking (router).
    And in "WAP services" i have gprs and then O2

And the little tick is next to "internet".

Also i bought this phone off ebay from the UK and in Admin settings > Packet Data > Access point it is set to "Orange" the UK cell network. (there was an Orange logo sticker on the box also.) Can anyone tell me how to change this setting so the packet data will be through O2?

My connection settings in "Internet" are - priority 1 is O2, priority 2 is gprs and priority 3 is Belking (router).

Thats all spot on, personally i would be changing your priority levels making the router 1 but can be easily done.

Also i bought this phone off ebay from the UK and in Admin settings > Packet Data > Access point it is set to "Orange" the UK cell network. (there was an Orange logo sticker on the box also.) Can anyone tell me how to change this setting so the packet data will be through O2?

Now all you need to do is click 'access point' and type in "internet" in place of "orange".

You can also change the application settings to 'ask when needed'

I've spent enough time modding and using it to know its crap and will never catch up with the competition

Shame though since the specs of the N8 (and C7) are impressive bar the RAM, processor, and that goddamn OS

So with a UI makeover a year away, and most of the OS's core issues wont be fixed, making this a phone hard to reccommend
    Not to mention increased QT use would lead to serious RAM strain
    And Symbain with low RAM is not a pretty thing
    Not to mention the apps front (the "app" sales figures include wallpapers, vids and crappy blog widgets) which is doomed, esp seeing lack of QT takeup

Would be nice to see Nokia making Androids, but that wont happen
    Lets hope those WP7 rumours are true eh?

EH mr dailymobile hello there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

hi,i got this phone on the 24.lovin it
    anyway just to let you know that
    realgolf 11 is out now for free.
    just hook up your phone to pc and ovi suite and
    its in the updates.just in case anyone is lookin
    for it,didnt see it in ovi store.
    enjoy:)

it wont be available ota due to the size of game going to download it now myself

• Advertisement

Hi can anyone help me? I bought this phone a couple days ago and i can't connect to the internet through 3G. I can connect ok through my home WiFi but outside the house it tells me "Connection Failed".

go to the access point tap and hold orange then select delete then replace with 02

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hmmm....impressive resume'. Impeccable qualifications.
    Maybe Bill Cullen will hire you as the next apprentice ;)
    So what is left? The buttons?
    And where exactly did you get this info from? ..... Nokia? :rolleyes:

I can accept that you don't like the phone, but please stop spreading FUD or...in your specific case...sh1te.
    Go away little troll.

deco nate wrote: »
    hi,i got this phone on the 24.lovin it
    anyway just to let you know that
    realgolf 11 is out now for free.
    just hook up your phone to pc and ovi suite and
    its in the updates.just in case anyone is lookin
    for it,didnt see it in ovi store.
    enjoy:)
    i cant get this update you must have a different product code
    cant wait for this
    having trouble getting my pc to pick up phone too

cant wait for this
    my phone is unbranded,no vodafone stuff on it.
    maybe thats why?oh it took ages for my pc
    to pick up my phone,20 mins or more
    while it looked for the drivers.(windows 7)
    and then when it did i just looked in updates
    and it was there,anyone else get it yet?

that must be why it cant find phone which is silly i will do it tomor now,i aint sitting here at pc they should make it available ota

any know is thier a way to watch rte player?
    thanks,
    deco

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

Ya it takes about 20 mins or so for the pc to find the drivers and stuff. Just start it and go and make a cuppa, watch some paint dry, have a quick power nap, clear the snow of the drive and job done. You just cant fault windows for speedy installations.(Tongue firmly in cheek just in case you were not aware)

Italia wrote: »
    Hmmm....impressive resume'. Impeccable qualifications.
    Maybe Bill Cullen will hire you as the next apprentice ;)
    With that salary I'd hope so :p
    So what is left? The buttons?
    a fair bit more than that

And where exactly did you get this info from? ..... Nokia? :rolleyes:
    nokia blabbers on twitter and mobile review :>
    I can accept that you don't like the phone, but please stop spreading FUD or...in your specific case...sh1te.
    Go away little troll.
    erm what?
    Good luck with those hard resets :p (LOL feel like the scrroge, sorry)

cant wait for this

Change to generic UK product code using NSS or JAF

• Advertisement

Voyager II wrote: »
    Ya it takes about 20 mins or so for the pc to find the drivers and stuff. Just start it and go and make a cuppa, watch some paint dry, have a quick power nap, clear the snow of the drive and job done. You just cant fault windows for speedy installations.(Tongue firmly in cheek just in case you were not aware)

You can directly DL drivers that should work for N8 (and C7 etc)
    Dont think the old ones work
    Dont have the link on me

Advertisement