Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rickyjb wrote: »
    More connectivity issues with this phone *sigh*

I used a pair of sony bluetooth headphones which came with an mp3 player as a hands free option for the car with my old nokia (some kind of xpress music, 52xx) with no issues. Went to connect the same headphones to the N8 and I can't get the phone to recognise them, they just won't show up when I try to pair a new device. I know it's not the headphones as I've tried them with a couple of other phones, you just push the button and they show up straight away.

Has anyone managed to connect a similar set of headphones to their N8? I'll be really annoyed if these are somehow not compatible, its ridiculous that they worked with the old phone but won't connect to this.

Dont select 'audio devices' when your starting the search, always just slect 'All devices'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

This post has been deleted.
    yes you can up to 5 times,after that you have to email them
    sayin why you need to dl it.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes, Im pretty sure they are. I havent actually tested it, but they stay in 'My stuff' on the ovi site. It keeps a record of everything you downloaded. When you click on one you paid from, it tells you have have downloaded it already and the cost, but still gives you the option to send it the phone.

For free apps you can download them to your pc for reinstall via cable if you like. Just add "/download" to the url on any app your looking at.

Example:

Angry birds lite: http://store.ovi.com/content/57175
    To download direct to your hard drive and transfer via cable http://store.ovi.com/content/57175/download

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

heads up on a minor update for the C6-01/C7/N8
    i was able to get this OTA
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12469_Small_39Apps_update39_now_avai.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Haha....

Is anyone else experiencing a situation where a certain word won't save in your predictive text?!....for some reason the word sh1t won't save in mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

kmart6 wrote: »
    Haha....

Is anyone else experiencing a situation where a certain word won't save in your predictive text?!....for some reason the word sh1t won't save in mine!

Yes very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

Please can an N8 owner (hopefully one who's owned other recent phones) help me justify choosing one! :) My recent phones are N95 and currently an N97. Have been offered work upgrade to N8 for € 40, Desire for € 40, Desire HD for € 55 or Galaxy for free. Despite all the N97 problems my heart still wants N8 but head says some others might be much better.

Pro N8:
    Free maps (with a GPS that might finally work, unlike N97!)
    Handy to move contacts between nokias
    Wife has nokia so no new PC software
    Decent camera/flash

That said, I suspect the Desire (and others) have a lot to offer that the N8 won't. Have any of you had the N8 plus one of the other phones above? Am I mad not moving to Android at this stage?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I own an N8, my brother has a Desire HD which I've used, and I used a Desire for a week or so last year. Having used the Desire, I chose the N8, and really like it. Everyone's needs are different, so try to find someone with each phone, and play around with them.

Avoid the Galaxy S.. a few guys in work got them a couple of months ago, and none are happy with them now. It slows considerably after a couple of weeks use (a filesystem issue), the mail client is very very slow and unreliable (if you're only using Gmail there's an excellent dedicated client, though), and the general battery life is poor. Samsung's PC software sucks too. (I don't know what HTC's is like)

So, the Desire or HD are very nice phones, and are the ones to get if you want Android.

The N8 on the other hand is a slow-burner... not as visually impressive as the Androids, but it can do anything you'd want, and if you want a good camera, there's nothing to touch it. Biggest downside is the N8's browser, which can be a bit awkward to use. If you want to do a lot of web browsing, this is not the phone for you right now, but if you can wait until February, the N8's software is getting a major update, and a new browser, so compare them then.

Call and audio quality are marginally better on the N8, but it's a difference between very good and excellent, so not worth worrying about. Battery life is also a little better on N8, but these are smartphones, so neither is good - I can get 2 days from mine, but you'll still end up charging every night to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

had the same problem myself with a nokia bluetooth headset.
    turns out the headset was connecting to my N95 (which it was paired with) and would not show up on my N8. try turn off all other bluetooth devices in the house a see if it works then

It's a sony headset and I lost the phone which it used to connect to, nothing else would have bluetooth on. Although oddly enough the phone is able to recognise other people's bluetooth devices when I search (I live in an apartment block) it just can't see this headset.

@Davy: Yeah I have been selecting all devices...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

My n8 gave me a scare earlier today. I'd just finished a call and looked at the screen waiting for the display to return so I could disconnect the call. But it didn't come back on. I touched the screen, slid the screen lock, pressed the home button, pressed the camera button, then the on/off button. Stuck it on charge. Nothing happened. Black screen. I rang service centre and was told to bring it in for repair. Wipe everything and reinstall everything. Nightmare! I started to look at the little screws thinking maybe if I remove the battery myself it might sort it out. Then I pressed the on button again and it came on! I'd fixed it myself! Was gone for about 30 minutes though. I'm sorry to say it but the word android was rising from inside somewhere. As soon as I get home I'm backing everything to ext hd. Good to know that it can come back if it goes blank.

Haha....

it saves some words though more important than the word you want LOL

DID ANYBODY UPDATE THE ANGRY BIRDS
    TAP THE GLOBE ON ANGRYBIRDS HOMESCREEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

i wiped everything of mine today and its running a lot better, N8's dont seem to like apps at all.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    it saves some words though more important than the word you want LOL

I know....thats what makes it annoying ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

I know....thats what makes it annoying ha!

Did ye try the "type the word ten times in a row" trick ? That used to work on T9

Well usually it onlt needs to be done once these days and I'd say I've done it 10 times at this stage...but I'll try it now anyway!

As I suspected that didn't work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is it possible to get sportstracker and wellness diary to talk to each other?

dr ro wrote: »
    is it possible to get sportstracker and wellness diary to talk to each other?

This integration is being discussed with the developers of Sports Tracker, but you must remember that Sports Tracker is no longer owned by Nokia and such this will be a deal with a third party company. Fingers Crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Sitec wrote: »
    i wiped everything of mine today and its running a lot better, N8's dont seem to like apps at all.
    Symbain's last compatability break was before apps became BIG
    the installation syatem is fairly messed up (private, resource, sys, system) although I'm sure it made some sort of sense back in 03-04 ;)

[ dup ]

Looks like PR 1.1 will be released tomorrow, 17. January.

This is a bugfix and stability release. Browser isn't improved (will be replaced in February), but some niggly bugs should be gone.

To get the firware update:

Tap "Call"
    Type *#0000#
    [ phone version info appears ]
    Tap "Options" > "Check for updates"

If the new FW is available, you'll get a message asking to install.

Haven't tried this FW myself - it was up on a "dodgy" distribution site last week for a half a day or so, before it got yanked.

UPDATE:

Well, I just tried, and got nothing. Just shows (again): You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Hey guys,

Ive 2 N8 questions re the monthly data allowance.

1. Im off to the states next week and plan on making few calls from skype(using my monthly data allowance and conecting via vodafone ISP)

Will I incur any vodafone charges for using skype to make a call or will it simply be a case of reducing my data allowance and paying the normal skype charges.

2. Same question for maps, if I connect via vodafone ISP will it be the same as using the maps at home, ie no charges once im within my monthly data allowance.

Cheers in advance

Ring Vodafone and confirm this before you try. If you don't you could make a very expensive mistake. Data roaming is only capped within the EU - charges in the USA can be horrendous (a guy I know came back with a four-figure bill after an extended trip to US with an iPhone).

My advice: Change "Data Use when roaming": "WLAN Only" and leave it there.
    2. Same question for maps, if I connect via vodafone ISP will it be the same as using the maps at home, ie no charges once im within my monthly data allowance.
    The mapping still works without a data connection. In built-up areas, it can be slow to get a lock without data network access, but it doesn't require a data connection to show the maps.

Without a data connection, you'll lose some search facilities, aerial photgraph view, and Network-assisted positioning. Everything else is built-in, including navigation.

Ye they are available cross the board for everyone S^3. Need to buy a the dab handset for it though at about 40 quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

I have my N8 a month and the battery has gone to crap. I made loads of the suggested energy saving changes and it just runs out with no activity at all. Like I charge it fully in the evening and it's empty first thing in the morning. The 02 shop said they haven't had any problems with the N8. The 28 day period has passed so do I have to accept a repair? Kind of pissed off I spent the money and now will have to do without the phone while 02 send it away.

Advertisement