Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

It sounds like a driver just had the wrong number on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

The reduction in 4s reduces DCU serve frequency. As the top Irish University ;) this is silly .... bet you Belfield/N11 corridor freq hasn't come down.

We are now left with what 11 and 13,19a thru O Connell St [ well the 3 as well but that's a walk in the rain ]

Did DB consult with the SU or college authorities reminding them not to bother waiting for a 4 as timetable no longer exist, or at the least put someone at the Ballymun road stop ?

Now, this wasn't a difficult one for DB to figure out since the No.4 stop is more or less outside DB's head office and it wouldn't take a slow witted monkey ( or perhaps it would ) to figure out that all those young people standing there were not perhaps heading for Harristown and instead might get off half way up the Ballymun road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Did DB consult with the SU or college authorities reminding them not to bother waiting for a 4 as timetable no longer exist, or at the least put someone at the Ballymun road stop ?

You raise quite a pertinent point here Trellheim.

You correctly state that DCU students and staff represent a significant customer base for Dublin Bus on the Ballymun Road corridor.

However I`m unaware of any specific comunication with either the University Authorities or the Students Union.

Another poster has raised this adaptability issue in relation to the new 84 Timetabled Departures from UCD.

The suggestion is that the UCD lectures are scheduled on a clockface basis and appear to conclude just after a Bus has departed,with a large gap then before the next bus.

If this is the case, then it is IMO a matter of some urgency on the part of both parties to get together and rectify the issue.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Doesn't look to be fully uploaded, but first indications are to me that the 43 minutes estimated journey time looks a little tight to say the least!.

Lets hope the running time on the driver schedules is not as tight as that, else we will see the same problems we've seen in the first part of the implantation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

AlekSmart wrote: »
    You raise quite a pertinent point here Trellheim.

You correctly state that DCU students and staff represent a significant customer base for Dublin Bus on the Ballymun Road corridor.

However I`m unaware of any specific comunication with either the University Authorities or the Students Union.

Another poster has raised this adaptability issue in relation to the new 84 Timetabled Departures from UCD.

The suggestion is that the UCD lectures are scheduled on a clockface basis and appear to conclude just after a Bus has departed,with a large gap then before the next bus.

If this is the case, then it is IMO a matter of some urgency on the part of both parties to get together and rectify the issue.

Nah, we've 10 minutes after a lecture ends to make the 84 from UCD, should be enough time for most people.

However several times last week, the buses decided to either leave early, or not come. I was waiting 2 hours for one last week, the first one left 5 minutes early, and the second one, "oh it left greystones half an hour late, so we're not running the 4 o'clock one" was what a 10 driver was told over the radio, when I eventually asked at 4.40, despite having been at the stop since 3.50.
    Same thing happened me one morning trying to get out to UCD too. What a fantastic service.

There is still no signs or timetables whatsoever to tell people that the 84 even runs from that bus stop.

Saw a 145 today on one of donnybrooks original batch of vts full display working etc

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

It is happening the oppsite way too, with the newer VT,s spotted on the 46A. This also means that if needed more than 10 can be allocated to the 145,s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

SickCert wrote: »
    We have to poo-poo that idea, the Irish school at Fosters ave is one of the biggest users of the 47 at times as i was told today.

The 47 and 116 get crammed with school kids for there, so they do need to be passing the appropriate stops. It makes sense to bring back the 46B for serving Mount Merrion during the morning and evening rush hours. Even when it wasn't that full coming out of Mount Merrion towards town, it picked up plenty of people once it got onto the QBC.

In terms of the various buses not serving Stillorgan village, was the possibility of putting a bus lane through there ever looked at? It would be tight in parts, which is probably why it hasn't been done if they have looked at it, but with a bit of road widening, it might be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It is happening the oppsite way too, with the newer VT,s spotted on the 46A. This also means that if needed more than 10 can be allocated to the 145,s.

Just to clear this up. Is VT the short name for the tri-axle Alexander Dennis Enviro 500's?

I also noticed that tri-axles are being used on the 145 route now. That was last week at Cornelscourt and it was absolutely packed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

kateos2 wrote: »

There is still no signs or timetables whatsoever to tell people that the 84 even runs from that bus stop.

That is a disgrace. Over 2 weeks later and a major bus terminus such as Belfield has not been updated to include a timetable or route information for a new, infrequent route.

Who in Dublin Bus is responsible for this? Is it down to the individual depot or is it controlled from Head Office?

Yes a VT is a Tri-Axle bus. They are now working alongside the EV,s (Standard Enviro,) on the 145. Just for the record the newer Vt,s on the 145,s are the Mark 2 versions with some differences to the ones on the 46A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

VT is the tri-axle double deck.

The different types of bus can be seen here

KD345 wrote: »
    That is a disgrace. Over 2 weeks later and a major bus terminus such as Belfield has not been updated to include a timetable or route information for a new, infrequent route.

Who in Dublin Bus is responsible for this? Is it down to the individual depot or is it controlled from Head Office?

Actually there are alot of busstops like this especially in the city and along the stillorgan corridor a complete disgrace

I hope it's not like this when it starts on the blanch and Lucan corridors in the next two or three weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

thomasj wrote: »
    Actually there are alot of busstops like this especially in the city and along the stillorgan corridor a complete disgrace

I hope it's not like this when it starts on the blanch and Lucan corridors in the next two or three weeks

True. Neither of the busstops at ucd either the fly over or the 10 busstop have been updated. Only 1 in Greystones and not many in bray have updated either. I would have thought putting up new timetables would be one of the first things that should have been done. If one or two staff members did it, it couldnt take much more than a day to get the major stops dine. Instead of putting up the network direct posters, could new timetables not have been put up instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

kateos2 wrote: »
    Instead of putting up the network direct posters, could new timetables not have been put up instead?

I think this point deserves particular note. While the project promotion rightly has a spot on the website, it seems completely unnecessary at bus stops. The vast majority of passengers don't care that the whole network is being redesigned, and the benefits of this, they just want to know what's happening to the routes they use. New timetables and route map, and a simple temporary note saying "this route has changed" should be sufficient at the bus stops. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

What the... What's with all the 7's and 2's depature minutes?

Oh wait, so this is a timetable specifically from Littlepace. So I would assume 7 minutes from Dunboyne to Littlepace?

Even then, that's a bloody massacre on the weekend services. Not that I get the bus anymore what with the train doing the job, but on the weekend that's really not right, particularly as the train doesn't run that late.

In all though it's actually good timetable, seeing as the bus is basically leaving the same time every hour, no more confusion with departures every 70 minutes or so.
    devnull wrote: »
    Doesn't look to be fully uploaded, but first indications are to me that the 43 minutes estimated journey time looks a little tight to say the least!.

As above, without the journey time to Dunboyne into account, 43 minutes seems viable from Littlepace.

EDIT: But it seems they're keeping the annoying "Oh, you missed the 8:30 bus? Well you're fúcked." attitude in the morning schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Yes a VT is a Tri-Axle bus. They are now working alongside the EV,s (Standard Enviro,) on the 145. Just for the record the newer Vt,s on the 145,s are the Mark 2 versions with some differences to the ones on the 46A.

Mark 2 versions? What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

orange display instead of green
    (I'm sure there are other more mundane differences too)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

This is such a ridiculous situation.

If Dublin Bus can't manage to glue a few new timetables onto a fraction of the bus stops on their network 4 months after Network Directs first announcement and two whole weeks after the new service's introduction, how can they ever be expected to introduce things like real time displays?

There must be some person or people in the company responsible for bus stop information? They are laughably incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Daithio_poster

Telchak wrote: »
    I think this point deserves particular note. While the project promotion rightly has a spot on the website, it seems completely unnecessary at bus stops. :confused:

I totally agree. I arrived at Dublin Airport last week and when I had finally found the regular Dublin buses which are hidden behind the carpark, gone back into the terminal to buy a standard ticket (not available in the ticket machine, which was broken anyway) I stood staring at this 'route map' on the bus stop - it bore no resemblance to Dublin, I couldn't figure out which way was East, North, West and there was no airport stop on it. Eventually I realised it was this Network Direct thing and had nothing to do with the bus stop that I was at or the routes serving the airport.

Absolute madness! Seriously - who makes these kind of decisions. As someone above in this thread mentioned, it's got to be some marketing manager type who doesn't actually use buses or know the first thing about cartography/design!

The problem here is ANYWHERE there has been any changes this poster has been plastered up replacing the timetables irrespective of how many routes have been affected

In this case the 746 has been cancelled and on the map there is a note advising passengers affected of alternative arrangements.

Taking down the timetable would have made more sense!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

When did the proposed route from Dunboyne to Tyrrelstown get shelved ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

seen three 46a's in a row twice this week already, something that they were supposed trying to eliminate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

When did the proposed route from Dunboyne to Tyrrelstown get shelved ??

Huh, I never noticed that. I suppose they removed the need for the 270 to go to Tyrrelstown since the 238 is now going to do the job, running from Ladyswell via the Centre.

They have wider front doors so have a slightly longer front overhang. As mentioned above they also have the newer orange LED display instead of the DMD ones on VT1-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Have they increased the service on the 4? I noticed more buses operating today than the hourly service on the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

KD345 wrote: »
    Have they increased the service on the 4? I noticed more buses operating today than the hourly service on the timetable.

Saw a lot of 4s this morning...not to worry though..the hoors compensated for this by putting f**k all 13/A's on:mad:

Anyone notice that the network direct signs are starting to appear along the blanch corridor? They are saying all kicks off Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Anyone notice that the network direct signs are starting to appear along the blanch corridor? They are saying all kicks off Monday!
    god help the people living along these routes as they will most likely suffer the same as the 145

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement