Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

This thread, a discussion about a huge upheaval in Dublin Bus services is noteworthy for the number of DB Staff and expert DB Watchers who admit to being as in the dark about the changes as any profitable mushroom factory would be.

Now for the clientele/skulls/poor f***kers who have to use the service, how do you think they feel ?

Well done the DB internal communications and management I say. Your work thus far is an inspiration and beacon of light to us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

markpb wrote: »
    They split the timetable into stages, each with their own departure times. The timetable at the bus stop is for the closest stage, not the start point so it should be more accurate.

@ Any drivers out there.

These staged timetable departures. IF you arrive early at for example Belfield have you been told to wait until the correct departure time as per the interval timetable or just continue - effectively leaving that stop early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

@ Any drivers out there.

These staged timetable departures. IF you arrive early at for example Belfield have you been told to wait until the correct departure time as per the interval timetable or just continue - effectively leaving that stop early?

One of the reps was saying the maximum time you can be held for we 2 mins. But under the presents managers you need to be going special to get there early.

SickCert wrote: »
    One of the reps was saying the maximum time you can be held for we 2 mins. But under the presents managers you need to be going special to get there early.

so these intermediate time are therfor totally and utterly useless and pointless then *sigh* :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

so these intermediate time are therfor totally and utterly useless and pointless then *sigh* :rolleyes:

Drivers should know if they're likely to arrive early and drive accordingly. Taken to it's full extent, this could happen in Dublin eventually:
    The devices now being installed give a graphic display of the distance between the driver's vehicle and those in front and behind. By slowing down or speeding up, the driver is able to keep his or her vehicle near the "Ideal" mark indicated on the display.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I notice on buses in other countries that drivers delay at intermediate stops to match the timetables.

If the correct running time is allowed, you should never be held.

Example ~ Its very rare to see the Aircoach awaiting time, except maybe Cabinteely at 530 in the morning.

Drivers should know if they're likely to arrive early and drive accordingly. Taken to it's full extent, this could happen in Dublin eventually:
    you can never predict conditions further along your journey though. there is no point driving slowly to make a time only to be stuck behind an accident just short of the stop which you otherwise would have missed for example.
    dynamick wrote: »
    I notice on buses in other countries that drivers delay at intermediate stops to match the timetables.

+1 happens all over the place and works
    SickCert wrote: »
    If the correct running time is allowed, you should never be held.
    true, I don't think it'll be an issue 99% of the time, apart from some late night or weekend runnings when the roads much quieter
    Example ~ Its very rare to see the Aircoach awaiting time, except maybe Cabinteely at 530 in the morning.
    as above, thats fair enough and understandable, the context of where such is important are infrequent services such as 84 where the gaps are large. If you are at a stop at/slightly before the stated time only to see the bus driving off in the distance cos it left early is not acceptable, especially if that leaves you waiting an hour for the next through no fault of your own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Speaking of which, those Los Angeles buses run extremely well. The main routes are serviced by bendy buses. The location on approach is announced by voice through the PA system which also advises passengers to use one of the two rear exits prior to stopping. Really makes the journey a whole lot faster.

It makes me sad that such a system can't be implemented here on the 4, and after seeing such services work it baffles me that we use a fleet of buses with (mostly) one door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it baffles me that we use a fleet of buses with (mostly) one door.

I thought the reason the got rid of the 2 door buses was because of far evaders getting on the bus through the middle doors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

They split the timetable into stages, each with their own departure times. The timetable at the bus stop is for the closest stage, not the start point so it should be more accurate.

I figured that, but like Cookie_Monster I question whether these buses can stick to the schedule. If it does end up accurate, good, but I still think Dun Laoghaire should be mentioned as the original departure point somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Speaking of which, those Los Angeles buses run extremely well. The main routes are serviced by bendy buses. The location on approach is announced by voice through the PA system which also advises passengers to use one of the two rear exits prior to stopping. Really makes the journey a whole lot faster.

It makes me sad that such a system can't be implemented here on the 4, and after seeing such services work it baffles me that we use a fleet of buses with (mostly) one door.

It's a lot easier to use bendy buses on a city made up of wide streets on a regular grid though. Not to say it couldn't be done in Dublin if the will was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

I thought the reason the got rid of the 2 door buses was because of far evaders getting on the bus through the middle doors?

The Labour Relations Commission ruled a few years ago that if someone injured themselves getting off a bus because the door wasn't close to the kerb, the driver could be *personally* liable. Since bus stops weren't well constructed back then and the Gardai and DCC are poor at enforcing parking laws, it can be difficult for drivers to pull up with both doors parallel to the kerb. Rather than risk a personal court case, they refused to operate the middle doors.

There were other reasons too, like fare evasion (although LA got around this by making them exit only), scumbags disabling the bus by stopping the doors from closing (LA got around this by making the doors stronger and having lots of security staff and undercover staff on the buses) and the need for more room for wheelchairs during the recent accessibility drive.

All this means, slower stops, longer dwell time and a poorer service for everyone involved.
    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It's a lot easier to use bendy buses on a city made up of wide streets on a regular grid though. Not to say it couldn't be done in Dublin if the will was there.

There is no problem operating articulated buses on the majority of streets in Dublin. The problem is lack of parking enforcement, poor bus lanes, poor bus lane surface construction, short bus stop construction and lack of bus priority measures where buses have to cross several lanes of traffic. Width is absolutely not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Can someone confirm for me where exactly the northbound 84 is terminating?

I haven't seen any around the main bus terminus inside Belfield. (10/3/17 stops)

Is it just terminating at the flyover? Or continuing to Donnybrook garage and terminating there?

stop wrote: »

I haven't seen any around the main bus terminus inside Belfield. (10/3/17 stops)

Is it just terminating at the flyover? Or continuing to Donnybrook garage and terminating there?

a quick check of the DB site show it stopping at the 3/10/17 stop. I doubt you'd see them too often though, only one an hour and they an't going to be arriving much ahead of time if drivers here are reporting very tight running times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stop,are you suggesting that there is no on-site Information in place for a new Route Terminus ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Stop,are you suggesting that there is no on-site Information in place for a new Route Terminus ?

it took me 30 seconds to find it, so clearly there is.

Phew...thank heavens for that CM....I was beginning to suspect a conspiracy !! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

it took me 30 seconds to find it, so clearly there is.

I think Alek means physically at the stops in Belfield and not on the website!

KC61 wrote: »
    I think Alek means physically at the stops in Belfield and not on the website!

in that case I dunno so

• Advertisement

Oh No !!!....This could mean a field-trip to Belfield so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Up to last week there was nothing at the Belfield terminus to indicate the 84 stopped or terminated there. Passengers just waited until the bus arrived showing 84.

It may have changed since.

Also, can anybody confirm, does the 84 actually go into Cherrywood, and does the 4 loop into IKEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Had checked the DB site but I've found problems with the stops listed so I tend to trust where the bus actually stops.

The site lists it as sharing the same stop as the 10. I saw an 84 loading at one of the 17 stops at the main terminus.

None of the stops have any notice regarding the 84, unsuprisingly.

Also, can anybody confirm, does the 84 actually go into Cherrywood,

Quite an interesting point here KD345,the 84 is supposed to loop around Cherrywood using the route 7 stops.

However interestingly,somewhat late in the day somebody realized that by using this innovative mould-breaking approach the very busy Inbound Stop and Shelter under the Flyover was comprehensively avoided.

So I would suspect that until Luas actually sommences operations some 84 drivers may see a bit more value in collecting a few passengers from an active stop than no pasengers from an,as yet,inactive one ?

It`s back-to-the-drawingboard time again I think ?

Mind you with a frequency of one bus per hour does it really make any difference at all...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Mind you with a frequency of one bus per hour does it really make any difference at all...?

Well it might make a difference to anybody who used the 7 from Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire to connect with the 84.

The destination on the 84 actually says via. Cherrywood - if it's not going into Cherrywood this should be removed.

The destination on the 84 actually says via. Cherrywood - if it's not going into Cherrywood this should be removed.

KD345...will ya whisht up....it`s a minor miracle the 84 managed to have UCD belatedly inserted on its menu...God alone knows what would happen if you start looking for deletions :eek:

However the issue does underline the good sense behind the original ND decision to operate the 84 on a 30 minute headway with Cherrywood as it`s terminus.

This immediately underlined its new role as a frequent connection to both Luas and Dun Laoire services.

The decision to UCD it immediately diluted that,yet again leaving us with fudge for breakfast with ambiguity and uncertainity the only by products...both killer blows to scheduled Public Transport Services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Any word on how the 63 is doing so far Alek? That route should not be experiencing any of the running time issues that other routes have had, but the drivers might be a bit dizzy in Carrickmines - they are serving "The Park" now aren't they?

63 does indeed serve the park, saw one on Sunday doing the loop around the roundabouts

63 does indeed serve the park, saw one on Sunday doing the loop around the roundabouts

I was doing some bargain hunting up at Tkmax today and spotted someone making an M50 booboo...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

I was doing some bargain hunting up at Tkmax today and spotted someone making an M50 booboo...........

Off to the Sandyford Roundabout with yea! Regarding the 4, this does not loop Ikea. It continues on the Ballymun Rd. The 13/A do the loop, well most of them anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement