Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

Well done DB today I got the car to DCU because the revised 4 schedule is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well done DB today I got the car to DCU because the revised 4 schedule is ****e.

What really concerns me is that Trellheim`s response to the Network Direct service enhancements was not even factored into the process.

Trellheim and those of a similar mind will simply source an alternative when a company decides to reduce or withdraw what was a popular and sustainable service.

That alternative will,as Trellheim demonstrates,usually involve a return to private car usage...How in the name of Sanity can a Public Transport Service Provider treat it`s customers like this and expect to survive ?

An important and oft overlooked point re the Number 4 route is that it represents the newest Dublin Bus approach to it`s operations.

From Day1 it was marketed as a direct frequent high capacity trunk route of the type later enthusiastically espoused by Msstrs Deloitte....so...we already had the desired template...along with the 145 one might add.

Yet,now in direct response to the Deloitte recommendation we see the entire ethos of these Routes stripped and reverted back to a traditional and far less attractive mode....I remain totally bewildered at this move,which I feel,represents a highly risky strategy with little hope of providing any quantifiable gains...for anybody.

There appear to be little appreciation on the part of Dublin City teo that the Rock Road corridor represents a burgeoning market for efficient frequent Public Bus Service operation.

One only has to look at the queues on O Connell Bridge each night after 2100 as people stand in the biting wind unaware that their QBC service on the 7 Route now only operates half-hourly,something which any
    reduction in Route 4 frequency will not help ?

It has been rumoured that the National Transport Authority regard the Rock Road QBC as having sufficient resources without any upgrade being merited.

This may well be a deciding factor in any decision to withdraw from Direct,Frequent services as a means of operation....worth thinking about perhaps ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

What is the next area scheduled for treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just emailed the NTA asking why we have not heard anything from them in relation to this mess and if they would allow the next phases to go ahead after DB proved the cannot deal with the first change adequately.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

My views about the 4 are well documented, but to put them in brief, I get a bus from City centre to Ballsbridge 5 times a week in morning peak, and in the other direction in evening peak.

Even before the recent timetable changes, it was not unusual for a southbound 4 or 7, or even two in a row to be full to the brim with over 100 passengers on go past Trinity college stop without stopping as they are full in morning peak.

In the evening peak, on this corridor, on quite a few occasions we would be full northbound, when we are going past the schoolhouse hotel, and this is before you consider the stops on mount street etc. Once again, it is not uncommon for an artic to have well over 100 people on at any one time and a 7 with over the standard 15 standees on.

What has happened recently since the cuts have happened, is that the 4, from being one of the most reliable, and punctual services in the city, has gone to having long gaps in service, and in both morning and evening peak regularly having multiple 4/7 buses in a row going past full, with some days you could see as many as three/four or on one occasion five full! The 7 southbound in the morning can be full after just it's second stop!

Most of the buses on the four are still artics, and these are carrying well over 100 most days during peak the soon withdrawal of these buses will result in further capacity cuts to this route, which will make the current situation, already a bad one, a little bit worse still.

The only buses that can be fit to replace the artics on the 4, unless frequency is increased or the current problems worked out, is the VT's, and even these are not without their problems. I read that they want to extend the 7 to Heuston and not serve O'Connell Street or O'Connell Bridge, that would just be suicide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

I think its a good idea to contact the NTA re. the reduction in services on Route 4 and voice your concerns: reception@nationaltransport.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

trellheim wrote: »
    any updates on the No.4 and why the frequency has gone so bad ?

Apparently it is called an improvement. :rolleyes:
    ardmacha wrote: »
    I support the Continuity 46B!

Join me, brother, in our revolution. I think we will get support from the Continuity 63 and Real 4 amongst others. There will be many other groups popping up in the coming months if this attack on our services continues. Look out for a Release the Dublin Bus 10 movement for an example. I can see protests that we could join for us to be allowed to go our traditional routes. Even if we can't travel the way we used to, we haven't gone away you know. Of course it will be difficult to co-ordinate our marches and protest meetings, as none of us can say for definite when we will get to the gathering points, if at all.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Flukey wrote: »
    Apparently it is called an improvement. :rolleyes:

Join me, brother, in our revolution. I think we will get support from the Continuity 63 and Real 4 amongst others. There will be many other groups popping up in the coming months if this attack on our services continues. Look out for a Release the Dublin Bus 10 movement for an example. I can see protests that we could join for us to be allowed to go our traditional routes. Even if we can't travel the way we used to, we haven't gone away you know. Of course it will be difficult to co-ordinate our marches and protest meetings, as none of us can say for definite when we will get to the gathering points, if at all.
    :)

Get in touch with this crowd http://www.swp.ie/news/residents-monkstown-farm-continue-their-protest-against-dublin-bus-cutbacks/3552

I think Boyd barret is behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Route-47-Realignment/
    Route 47 Realignment
    Friday, October 01, 2010

From Sunday 3rd October 2010 Route 47 will be realigned to operate directly along the N11 from the Junction of Old Dublin Road/Stillorgan Road (Oatlands College) to Nutley Lane and as a result Route 47 will no longer operate on Trees Road Lower, North Avenue and Fosters Avenue.

Alternative bus services for customers in the Mount Merrion area include:
    •High frequency direct services along the N11 - 145,46a
    •Route 11a at Mather Road North,
    •Route 5 at Trees Road Upper and Lower,
    •Routes 11/11b at Lower Kilmacud Road

Route 47 will operate from Belarmine to City Centre (Pearse Street Garda Station) via Sandyford Industrial Estate, Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan Road (N11), Nutley Lane, Merrion Road and Mount Street.

Dublin Bus is making this change in response to customer usage and feedback on the reliability and journey time of Route 47 - this change will lead to improved journey times and reliability for the vast majority of customers on the route.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

Timetable stays as was - it is just the routing changing. It should address reliability issues on this route.

Now just the other routes to fix!

KC61 wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Route-47-Realignment/

Timetable stays as was - it is just the routing changing. It should address reliability issues on this route.

Now just the other routes to fix!

Oh god, we said Nutley lane was the delay...............i give up.

• Advertisement

SickCert wrote: »
    Oh god, we said Nutley lane was the delay...............i give up.

I appreciate that Nutley Lane can have delays but surely taking the direct route along the N11 rather than going via Mount Merrion will compensate for that in running time terms. For goodness sake the Bus Eireann Expressway route 2 operates via Nutley Lane too (and has done for some time) and I don't hear wails of protest about that.

Sickcert you're thinking a bit too much like a driver here rather than a customer. The 47 is also providing a link to/from St Vincent's Hospital and the DART at Sydney Parade to south Dublin - something that did not exist before. Routing via Anglesea Road, while quicker, does not offer any connections to/from the Hospital or the DART. In fact no-one used the bus along Anglesea Road.

If people want a direct route to the city there is the option of the 46a and 145.

I appreciate that Nutley Lane can have delays but surely taking the direct route along the N11 rather than going via Mount Merrion will compensate for that in running time terms. For goodness sake the Bus Eireann Expressway route 2 operates via Nutley Lane too (and has done for some time) and I don't hear wails of protest about that.

With respect KC61 a comparison between a Bus Eireann express coach and the DB 47 is somewhat tenuous.

I do note the Companys advice to Mount Merrion residents re alternative services....
    Alternative bus services for customers in the Mount Merrion area include:
    •High frequency direct services along the N11 - 145,46a
    •Route 11a at Mather Road North,
    •Route 5 at Trees Road Upper and Lower,
    •Routes 11/11b at Lower Kilmacud Road

Given the some what incredible implosion of service levels on both of the hi-frequency routes mentioned,the greatly reduced service level on the 11A allied with uncertainty which surrounds the 11 route as a whole it is I feel somewhat disingenuous to offer these as a viable alternative.

That does of course leave us with the 5,which perhaps is deserving of a closer look.

As SickCert points out the peak time routing along Nutley Lane presents significant problems,with no active bus priority measures in place.

However if we rewind a bit to Merrion Avenue,we find a substantial amount of newly installed Bus Priority including Stops,Kassel Kerbing and Bus Lanes....all only recently commissioned after a lengthy battle with local sectional interests.

I would suggest re-routing the 47 along Merrion Avenue in both directions,with the option of either Networking it Direct as per the revised Stillorgan leg OR reinstating the old 46B routing via North Ave/Redesdale/Deerpark.

This would retain the Vincents Hospital connection as well as several Dart Stations and Blackrock College to boot !

As the current 47 aspires to a half hourly frequency I am suggesting that in the greater scheme of things it does not add greatly to the N11 QBC and should be approached with a view to establishing a route identity for itself.

I do hope poor old SickCert is not offended by your admonishment ....
    Sickcert you're thinking a bit too much like a driver here rather than a customer.

I`m not certain that such distinction is relevant,particularly in this case after a very stressful fortnight indeed where even the most laid back,relaxed and unflappable of Drivers were put into the firing line to deal with Customers who were,if we`re honest about it,abandoned to their own devices. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Alek the point is that it's not just going to the city centre - that's the point that I'm trying to get across - it's also about creating new journey possibilities.

The downside of using Mount Merrion Avenue is that you lose a connection to UCD, but I guess people could change buses. Do many children use the service to the gaelscoil on the N11?

I would concur about the 47 getting a route identity of it's own.

Re drivers and customers, the point I was trying to get across is that Sickcert (understandably) was viewing the problem (correctly from his viewpoint as a driver) as keeping the bus on schedule. My viewpoint as a customer is that the maximum journey possibilities need to be created and Anglesea Road does not create any. But I would think that taking out the Mount Merrion diversion should improve the reliability of the service.

I'm certainly having a go at drivers but what I'm saying is that in terms of routing there is more to it than simply being a fast route to/from the city centre. I would be the first to admit that there have been errors in terms of running times and they need to be addresssed asap to start delivering a reliable service to customers.

KC61 wrote: »
    Alek the point is that it's not just going to the city centre - that's the point that I'm trying to get across - it's also about creating new journey possibilities.

The downside of using Mount Merrion Avenue is that you lose a connection to UCD, but I guess people could change buses. Do many children use the service to the gaelscoil on the N11?

I would concur about the 47 getting a route identity of it's own.

Re drivers and customers, the point I was trying to get across is that Sickcert (understandably) was viewing the problem (correctly from his viewpoint as a driver) as keeping the bus on schedule. My viewpoint as a customer is that the maximum journey possibilities need to be created and Anglesea Road does not create any. But I would think that taking out the Mount Merrion diversion should improve the reliability of the service.

I'm certainly having a go at drivers but what I'm saying is that in terms of routing there is more to it than simply being a fast route to/from the city centre. I would be the first to admit that there have been errors in terms of running times and they need to be addresssed asap to start delivering a reliable service to customers.

Mount merrion ave has been suggested and smirked at by those who know best.....
    The problem with the 47 is it can only go where the time allowance will let it and rubbing wheels with the rte3 down Nutley is just a waste of fuel. Most users want Ballsbridge. I will be hassling the rep again this afternoon and will suggest that bus lane thing on MM ave.

The problem with the 47 is it can only go where the time allowance will let it and rubbing wheels with the rte3 down Nutley is just a waste of fuel. Most users want Ballsbridge. I will be hassling the rep again this afternoon and will suggest that bus lane thing on MM ave.

I wish you luck Sickie.

KC61`s customer centred views are highly desirable,but I fear he falls into the trap of percieving the Drivers as a barrier to implimenting Customer Friendly schedules and routes.

If anything can be taken from the initial 10 Days of Network Direct,it`s that the Views,Expectations,and Experiences of a HUGE number of our customers were simply not factored into what we were given to believe was a Master Plan of great scale.

Instead we appear to have taken on the V`s ,E`s and E`s of a select few customers and extrapolated from there leaving us with something,by now,totally disjointed and flailing around aimlessly.

I fully concur with KC61`s opinions on devloping new journey possibilities,and that development is not something we are good at..but we have done it before...for sure with the 4,75,128,140,145, and we could have done it with the 63,84,111 and 116.

However with the ND experience ongoing it now appears clearer than ever that our System is being Planned,Devised and Implimented by a Non-Bus using,remotely located Senior Management Team using some VERY powerful (as in Narcotic) computer modelling software indeed.

It`s perhaps relevant that during the intense negotiations leading up to Phase 1 of ND a serious amount of highly detailed computer data print outs were tabled by Management which purported to give a highly detailed overview of all the relevant routes..

This data was,we`re told the main basis for the somewhat inventive scheduling decisions which were implimented and which whilst conforming to the Virtual expectations do not in any way conform to REALITY...but hey,if we need to talk reality perhaps we need the Minister for Finance to take over the ND job ??

Sadly,I hear that at a meeting during the week a Senior Manager expressed the view that 6 "Messers" were responsible for the less than glorious performance of Phase 1.:o

My response to that would have been to enquire if these 6 "Messers" were the ones actually managing to keep to their schedules, as this would only be possible if a high degree of "Messing" were employed :rolleyes:

I do hope that was only some Manager under pressure,venting-to-atmosphere rather than indicative of some actual belief.

For my part I would just advise the Management to pay attention to the Queue`s...all the questions and a fair few answers are contained within them....:) :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If this is true about the 47, that really blows apart the fallacy that the 47 was an amalgamation of the 47 and 46B. As it was, the overlap was quite small, without this change. Then there are the supposed alternatives. The 5 is a very low frequency route, with just 5 runs a day each way, so that doesn't help Mount Merrion much. The 11a has only about 8 runs and really only serves the bottom of Mount Merrion. With the 46B gone and now the 47 being pulled out, it leaves the area badly served, even if the N11 isn't that far away. It is fine for some people, but for the older generation a walk down to the N11 is a bit of a challenge and even more so going back up the hill. That in itself is an issue which will impact on old people for routes that are being withdrawn or re-routed from many areas of the city. I heard a rumour last night, as you do, that the government may even pull the free pass in the budget which would be a further knock to older people.

Hopefully the 46B will be restored now. Some hope of course. Dublin Bus may be concerned about terminus to terminus times, but there is no point in them being faster if the bus service is harder for people to access. People are having time added to their journey by their buses having been re-routed away from them, so on balance the faster terminus to terminus times have made their actual commute longer. This is why drivers are getting flack. It is not their fault of course, as that can be given to those sitting in the ivory tower of Dublin Bus HQ. If 6 messers are being blamed for the problem, then it must have been 6 messers who came up with the whole idea in the first place. While we are talking about that, hands up who has got an e-mail reply from complaints sent to the Network Direct e-mail address. I expect that is nobody.:) Hands up who is not surprised. I expect that is unanimous. :)

What is the situation with the 11? What are the proposed changes? Are they more at the north end of the route, which I think I heard it would be? It is funny that the Lower Kilmacud Road may have a QBC on it, when some of its routes have been pulled. The 11 is the only route that does most of it and some of the parts where the proposed changes are to be made. If the doubts over the 11 extend to the southern end of the route, what does that say about plans for a QBC on Lower Kilmacud Road?

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I wish you luck Sickie.

KC61`s customer centred views are highly desirable,but I fear he falls into the trap of percieving the Drivers as a barrier to implimenting Customer Friendly schedules and routes.

If anything can be taken from the initial 10 Days of Network Direct,it`s that the Views,Expectations,and Experiences of a HUGE number of our customers were simply not factored into what we were given to believe was a Master Plan of great scale.

Instead we appear to have taken on the V`s ,E`s and E`s of a select few customers and extrapolated from there leaving us with something,by now,totally disjointed and flailing around aimlessly.

I fully concur with KC61`s opinions on devloping new journey possibilities,and that development is not something we are good at..but we have done it before...for sure with the 4,75,128,140,145, and we could have done it with the 63,84,111 and 116.

However with the ND experience ongoing it now appears clearer than ever that our System is being Planned,Devised and Implimented by a Non-Bus using,remotely located Senior Management Team using some VERY powerful (as in Narcotic) computer modelling software indeed.

It`s perhaps relevant that during the intense negotiations leading up to Phase 1 of ND a serious amount of highly detailed computer data print outs were tabled by Management which purported to give a highly detailed overview of all the relevant routes..

This data was,we`re told the main basis for the somewhat inventive scheduling decisions which were implimented and which whilst conforming to the Virtual expectations do not in any way conform to REALITY...but hey,if we need to talk reality perhaps we need the Minister for Finance to take over the ND job ??

Sadly,I hear that at a meeting during the week a Senior Manager expressed the view that 6 "Messers" were responsible for the less than glorious performance of Phase 1.:o

My response to that would have been to enquire if these 6 "Messers" were the ones actually managing to keep to their schedules, as this would only be possible if a high degree of "Messing" were employed :rolleyes:

I do hope that was only some Manager under pressure,venting-to-atmosphere rather than indicative of some actual belief.

For my part I would just advise the Management to pay attention to the Queue`s...all the questions and a fair few answers are contained within them....:) :):)

Alek again I would say that I am not in any way suggesting that drivers are a barrier. But I am saying that customers and drivers will look at a timetable from different viewpoints.

The fundamental problem to operating the schedules is the tight running time and it's fairly obvious from the events of the past fortnight that some journeys have not got enough of it.

I would still think that routing the 47 via Nutley Lane offers more business opportunities on a long term basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I think that having lots of experience of this (ie trinity college stop before the 4 came about) the cutback of the 4 was a bad move. If anything, to alliviate the problems encountered at this and the following stops, the 45 and 47 should both be extended to the trinity college stop just off college green (Ie via Westland row and pearse street to college green)

Otherwise is there any point to the 45 following the DART line to blackrock?

Also agree to sickcerts suggestion of the 47 via mount merrion avenue. Nutley lane has the 2 and 3.

thomasj wrote: »

Also agree to sickcerts suggestion of the 47 via mount merrion avenue. Nutley lane has the 2 and 3.

We have to poo-poo that idea, the Irish school at Fosters ave is one of the biggest users of the 47 at times as i was told today.

SickCert wrote: »
    We have to poo-poo that idea, the Irish school at Fosters ave is one of the biggest users of the 47 at times as i was told today.

Okay, it still follows the existing 4 route that originally terminated at st vincents. It's not bad as it does take in ballsbridge, landsdowne and st vincents. I still maintain though IT SHOULD BE EXTENDED TO TRINITY alongwith the 45 to help cater for existing 4, 7 passengers effected by the cuts to the 4 and 84

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I still maintain though IT SHOULD BE EXTENDED TO TRINITY alongwith the 45 to help cater for existing 4, 7 passengers effected by the cuts to the 4 and 84

The 47 does terminate at Trinity College. The final stop is opposite Pearse Street Garda Station, and it serves the existing 4/7 stop at Lr. Grafton Street.

KD345 wrote: »
    The 47 does terminate at Trinity College. The final stop is opposite Pearse Street Garda Station, and it serves the existing 4/7 stop at Lr. Grafton Street.

Okay I didn't know that thanks, thought it was at the 45 terminus. The 45 terminus should move up there as well would help resolve the problems at trinity college grafton street stop!
    Also there probably wouldn't be much awareness that the 47 serves ballsbridge and st vincents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Okay I didn't know that thanks, thought it was at the 45 terminus. The 45 terminus should move up there as well would help alleviate the problems at trinity college grafton street stop!
    Also there probably wouldn't be much awareness that the 47 serves ballsbridge and st vincents

I agree, the 45 should terminate at Pearse Street too. I doubt the extra 3 stops would add on too much time, as it's bus lane most of the way. It would help greatly with the loadings at Lr. Grafton St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

New phase to be announced today or tomorrow morning. It includes the 79/27b, a bit of Finglas and maybe the changes to the 20b and 16.

The original plan of the phases 1-5 has been scrapped by the sound of it.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    New phase to be announced today or tomorrow morning. It includes the 79/27b, a bit of Finglas and maybe the changes to the 20b and 16.

The original plan of the phases 1-5 has been scrapped by the sound of it.

Really? What does this mean? Back to the drawing board?

I was told blanchardstown and Lucan changes kick off on the 17th. Any truth to this and are they affected by this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Really? What does this mean? Back to the drawing board?

I was told blanchardstown and Lucan changes kick off on the 17th. Any truth to this and are they affected by this development.

This is just the next stage of Network Direct. The original plan was

Phase 2: Ballymun, Finglas and Clontarf.

Phase 3: Tallaght, Templeogue, and Malahide

Phase 4: Glasnevin, Drimnagh, Ranelagh, and Swords

Phase 5: Merrion Road and Howth Road.

But this next stage is a mixture. No change to the Lucan/Blanch implementation. I thought it was the 10th but the 17th probably makes more sense if they're sticking to their two weeks worth of notice.

Just seen a 4a in Dolier street. Thought that route was meant to be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

So when will all the lucan kildare timetables be updated? This is actually taking forever.

Talking to a driver on the 39. Was saying 17th October which is next Sunday week.

So timetable will probably be up next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

Just seen a 4a in Dolier street. Thought that route was meant to be gone?
    I saw one in Blackrock yesterday. Ghost route with no timetable still running or just a failure to update the screens?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement