Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ginny wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the 46a is now supposed to stop on Parnell Sq East?
    Is it supposed to be the original 46a stop or the 10 stop? As there's no signs on the 46a stop (there is signs regarding the 145 and 63), it seems the drivers were picking at random which one to stop at. Also does anyone know when the 10 will be completely gone?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

I spy with my little eye a bendy bus operating as 46a inbound to Parnell Square this morning. Have DB decided to throw random numbers, buses and terminals into the mix to see what happens? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

markpb wrote: »
    I spy with my little eye a bendy bus operating as 46a inbound to Parnell Square this morning. Have DB decided to throw random numbers, buses and terminals into the mix to see what happens? :)

Most of the xpresso buses that go to Belfield work back to town as a 46a to parnell square in the mornings. It could be just one of those.

But you'd be excused for thinking that DB are making it up as they go. It often appears thats what they are doing!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Aleksmart, London is on a different scale to Dublin. We have a reasonably small city so some of the comparisons don't really apply. Others of course do, in terms of the type of service. Anyway, for my Westmoreland Street post, it just seems a bit funny that a service that has been promoted as now going further as part of the improvements, actually terminated at a point short of where it used to go before it was extended. It should have at least gone to Parnell Square or Mountjoy Square. Typical Dublin Bus genius.

#

Network Direct - N11 Stillorgan, Dún Laoghaire, Bray and North Wicklow areas
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007
    Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the start of the implementation of the first phase of the Network Direct project. Starting on the 19th of September a more direct, high frequency, punctual bus...
    :D:D:D
    No news in Dublin for nearly 3 years now

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There used to be artics on the 39B and 39X which used to work back to the city centre as a 46A in the past, but have not seen this happen for quite some while, is this now happening again?

If they are using bendy buses to strengthen services that are over crowded as a result of the changes however, it is a rare occasion on where common sense has prevailed. As there are no need for all 20 artics in service on the new timetable for the 4, it would be very sensible to use these elsewhere.

The 4 is still more overcrowded than it was this time last week in the mornings and evenings, but the sensible return of almost all AW operation on the route as per before the timetable changes has made things a little more bearable. I would hope it is the sign of a possible reconsideration of their future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

If all this apparent upheaval and disruption can be caused on the Stillorgan QBC, where there are at least half-decent bus lanes, the poor people in Blanchardstown are going to be slaughtered when it becomes the turn of the already-atrocious 39 to be 'reviewed' next month.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Seen 5 Northbound 46a's this morning on my way in to work. 1 had mountjoy square, 1 had parnell square and 3 had phoenix park. I'd say it was a case of sloppiness setting the signs rather than route variations.

On the plus side though they did sort out the small sized font bus number on all 5. The 46a digits are now thicker and much easier to read from a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Coming soon to the Wicklow corridor network (in)direct VT21-30 145's.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Coming soon to the Wicklow corridor network diwrecked VT21-30 145's.

I get your point Sickie.....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

So Michael buble night at the aviva And transportwise things going horribly wrong!

There is a signal failure on the DART meaning all the preassure on the buses and not a sign of the 4. 7s are doing short trips to ballsbridge alongwith normal 7s

The ballsbridge rock road has taken some serious cutbacks with the 84 cut the 45 cut back to merrion square and the 4 frequency being savaged

One side note, is it worth extending the 45 to trinity college? Run it through the bus lane on Westland row through to college green.

So Michael Buble night at the Aviva And transportwise things going horribly wrong!

Oh Gosh Thomasj......and Mrs Smart gone there at my instigation,using Public Transport...do you have a tin-hat handy ?

Our senior Public Transport Administrators would most likely answer you with....a) Who is this Michael Bubble fellow ? and b) Aviva?.....Espana is it ? ..ah yes I remember hearing that on holidays...does he do a slow version ..?
    One side note, is it worth extending the 45 to trinity college? Run it through the bus lane on Westland row through to college green.

A perfectly valid side-note....and an impetuous for extending the existing inbound Bus Lane in Clare Street contra-flow along Leinster Street then turning left into Kildare Street to terminate,thus allowing flexibility for routes such as the 45,47,63 and 84 to resume efficient effective personae rather than what they are now wobbling around at.

The only downside would be Dublin City Council having to slaughter a cash-cow of On-Street Parking spaces and relocate the Dublin Bike racks....so realistically not a chance in heaven !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A perfectly valid side-note....and an impetuous for extending the existing inbound Bus Lane in Clare Street contra-flow along Leinster Street then turning left into Kildare Street to terminate,thus allowing flexibility for routes such as the 45,47,63 and 84 to resume efficient effective personae rather than what they are now wobbling around at.

ah, dropped a ball Alex :D
    63 no longer frequents "town":p

63 no longer frequents "town":p

Shhh no one else knows!;)

63 no longer frequents "town

Ball(s) Cookie_Monster,still firmly grasped in my hands....as the 84 stops a bit short now too.....I`m offering it as a suggestion to prevent the eventual demise of both these old time routes if their present arrangements continue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

Oh Gosh Thomasj......and Mrs Smart gone there at my instigation,using Public Transport...do you have a tin-hat handy ?

Our senior Public Transport Administrators would most likely answer you with....a) Who is this Michael Bubble fellow ? and b) Aviva?.....Espana is it ? ..ah yes I remember hearing that on holidays...does he do a slow version ..?

The only downside would be Dublin City Council having to slaughter a cash-cow of On-Street Parking spaces and relocate the Dublin Bike racks....so realistically not a chance in heaven !!

Shell forgive you........ It might take a few nights on the couch though :P

With regards to the 45s to me, it seems people waiting on the ballsbridge buses at trinity college are having a horrid time. When I was going to work in blackrock the 45s were the savour! 7s would always pass full and this was before the 4s while everything was being trown onto the stillorgan corridor this was the forgotten corridor. The cuts to the 4s will just add to the removal of the 45 and 84 from the main city centre area and the effects of these cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Ball(s) Cookie_Monster,still firmly grasped in my hands....as the 84 stops a bit short now too.....I`m offering it as a suggestion to prevent the eventual demise of both these old time routes if their present arrangements continue ?

Let me explain. The Enniskerry corridor is serviced by buses which go into town at present. The 63 route used to go into town before and while the LUAS extension was underway. From what I gather, the LUAS will be taking over this responsibility when it becomes operational next month. Maybe, the implementation of the new 63 should have beem tied in to when the LUAS becomes operation. In other words, people use the 63 to get into town today and from tomorrow onwards they change at Carrickmines or Dun Laoghaire for the LUAS or DART respectively into town. Therefore, the only sensible option is to turn the 63 into a localized feeder bus. However, I do think that the frequency of the route should be increased at a later stage if it proves to be popular. KC61, regarding the 84, I do take back what I said about the extension to UCD as it could have been a hell of a lot more frequent as a localized feeder bus á la 63 had it not been given the revised extension to said college. However, if it is a feeder bus, it should be very frequent.

The 84 is of little use to human or fungi.
    My little rascal goes to UCD from shankill and he and others (them students!) wont board it because of the Cherrywood/Stillorgen loop of 7/8 mins. If students wont board a bus going to a college, theres problems.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Originally Posted by markpb
    I spy with my little eye a bendy bus operating as 46a inbound to Parnell Square this morning. Have DB decided to throw random numbers, buses and terminals into the mix to see what happens?

Is that even physically possible ? I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get a bendy around the turn at the bottom of Dawson St and then from Suffolk St to Church Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

There quite a manoeuvrable bus, you would not believe the places they can get in and out of!

• Advertisement

you would not believe the places they can get in and out of!

ohhh, Matron :eek::eek::eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Is that even physically possible ? I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get a bendy around the turn at the bottom of Dawson St and then from Suffolk St to Church Lane.

These buses regularly ran this route on the 10, 39B, 127 and 129.

There are very few routes which could not run these buses. They have covered on various routes across the city over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

ohhh, Matron

You just can't beat the classics :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Network They Wrecked has been a bit like a Carry On film this week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

KD345 wrote: »
    These buses regularly ran this route on the 10, 39B, 127 and 129.

There are very few routes which could not run these buses. They have covered on various routes across the city over the years.

Seconded, seen thm get past some very very tight corners much tigher than those mentioned.

84 I was racing against with the bike on the way into town yesterday bypassed Stillorgan, using the N11 stop...

so much for pulling into the village...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

84 I was racing against with the bike on the way into town yesterday bypassed Stillorgan, using the N11 stop...

I was on one last week and it bypassed Bray Dart station. I've never been on an 84 before that didn't go to the dart station, and I was under the impression this hadn't changed.

This is another route that has reduced running time at the weekend. Were all running for our lifes to meet our out of workplace schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

So yesterday I see the first of the new timetables posted up for the 46A and 145 routes towards the city centre in the Donnybrook area. The most bizarre thing that DB has done here is state the times of the 46A departing from UCD Belfield, rather than Dun Laoghaire. Now I don't know if these times are accurate or not, but there is no mention that the bus actually begins in Dun Laoghaire.

Is this not massively confusing for people? Even I was confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

The most bizarre thing that DB has done here is state the times of the 46A departing from UCD Belfield, rather than Dun Laoghaire. Now I don't know if these times are accurate or not, but there is no mention that the bus actually begins in Dun Laoghaire.

They split the timetable into stages, each with their own departure times. The timetable at the bus stop is for the closest stage, not the start point so it should be more accurate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement