Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Because Irish people (certainly in my experience) often only look at the route number rather than the destination. I've witnessed several arguments between passengers and drivers over the years where the passenger didn't realise it was a short working.

Adding a "c" suffix on short workings of cross-city routes removes that ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Conway635 wrote: »
    We're still waiting on the final two rounds:

* 27B/79 merger (delayed by terminus infrastructure issues)

* Airport routes - changes to 41 and 33 family (wending its way very slowly through roster design and approval).

I'd expect the 41/33 sometime soon, the 27B/79 next year, or never.

C635

Any idea what shape the 41 is looking like at the moment? Last I heard was they were going back to running some early morning services through the airport, to make up for the lack of a 16?

Is the plan to run the 33a/b to the airport still in place?

I would imagine that the early morning situation will remain as is - that is really the only way all the termini can be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    Because Irish people (certainly in my experience) often only look at the route number rather than the destination. I've witnessed several arguments between passengers and drivers over the years where the passenger didn't realise it was a short working.

Adding a "c" suffix on short workings of cross-city routes removes that ambiguity.

So true.
    Try arguing the toss in London with a short-working regulated duty.....you will get no change whatsoever.

In Paris,it's a diagonal line drawn through a "Service Partiel" display alongside the regular number.

I'v lost count of the number of times I've operated a truncated journey,displaying City Centre and a "C" Suffix and verbally giving EACH boarding passenger a "City Centre Only" warning.....only to have several angry-bird impressions directed at me in O C St when I switch the Lights out ......:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

trellheim wrote: »
    44 being extended to airport I heard today plus a load of others I couldn't get detail on.

Is the airport becoming the northside's UCD Belfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

trellheim wrote: »
    44 being extended to airport I heard today plus a load of others I couldn't get detail on.
    I'd assume if this is real, nothing will happen until the R132 roadworks are finished?

This could be great news if all the useless runs to Harristown are to be eliminated, setup break facilities at DUB instead.

I can't see the 44 moving out of Larkhill - nothing would be left to serve the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Maybe they are just looking at a replacement for the 41 at the airport?

The db hub at the airport is not big enough to be able to cater for all of the harristown routes

Although i would love to see a northside orbital route serve the airport maybe the 17a via the n32.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Tarabuses wrote: »

Is the airport becoming the northside's UCD Belfield?

Not a bad idea.As for Larkhill it's hardly the long retreat from Moscow.... the swords road is very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Conway635 wrote: »

We're still waiting on the final two rounds:

* 27B/79 merger (delayed by terminus infrastructure issues)

* Airport routes - changes to 41 and 33 family (wending its way very slowly through roster design and approval).

I'd expect the 41/33 sometime soon, the 27B/79 next year, or never.

C635

Any idea on the expected changes to the 33 family?i think a more 33x style service would be good. The length of time to get end to end is off putting as it currently serves a very long route.Would it be possible to use the current route but use the M1& tunnel to/from swords? (Balbriggan-skerries-rush-lusk-swords-M1-city). I reckon there is traffic from skerries/rush lusk to swords, and people wanting to go between swords and say santry/drumcondra could use swords as a hub and change onto a bus there?

The 33x is full in both directions and they have no resources to add, I wonder will they utilise some existing 33 capacity on this route?

Any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

145 from Stephens green in the evening a disaster. So irregular

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't think they even do that

People getting a 56 on the Crumlin Rd when it only went as far as Dolphins Barn. They seemed to presume the bus is going to the city because it was coming down the Crumlin Rd. To the point that several regular drivers on the route stuck an A4 page of paper on the cab door with "to Dolphins Barn only, not to city centre" for those people who would hail the bus, stop the bus, get on, put their money in and then ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

I can't see the 44 moving out of Larkhill - nothing would be left to serve the estate.

Word is that every second No.1 would go in there.... although nothing definite yet on it in Ringsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

rx8 wrote: »
    Word is that every second No.1 would go in there.... although nothing definite yet on it in Ringsend.

Oh terrific....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Fear not lxf...I forsee the return of VIA Larkhill on the destinations.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 petemm

Summer changes
    44 Dundrum to Airport
    59 & 63 amalgamated
    145 Ballywaltrim to Heuston
    185 Train station, Palermo, Kilmac, Enniskerry, Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

petemm wrote: »
    Summer changes
    44 Dundrum to Airport
    59 & 63 amalgamated

Are those changes just for donnybrook, are there changes for the other garages as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Summer changes
    44 Dundrum to Airport
    59 & 63 amalgamated

that 59/63 combo could be the one of the longest routes (timewise) ever.

I'd say the 145 change will be made permanent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that 59/63 combo could be the one of the longest routes (timewise) ever.
    would give the old 86 a run for it's money anyway.

it's a hell of a potential route: http://goo.gl/maps/g00kH

Bear in mind that these are rumoured internal company proposals - they may not even see the light of day as yet.

People should emphasise that - they are not cast in stone and frankly that needs to be made clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Summer changes
    44 Dundrum to Airport
    59 & 63 amalgamated

What about Shop River!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

44 Dundrum to Airport
    59 & 63 amalgamated
    185 Train station, Palermo, Kilmac, Enniskerry, Dundrum

Yep that was what the rest looked like. If the 145 goes to Ballywaltrim only does that not remove Kilmacanogue ... what about those folk who've suddenly lost a frequent service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's a seriously wacky route - going from Enniskerry to Bray via Kilmac would involve doubling back on the N11 twice. why not just merge in the 184 as well and have one ridiculously complex and inconvenient route serving all the small villages of north Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

59 & 63 amalgamated

If that is indeed the case, the good news is the Sandycove, Dalkey and North Killiney area will have a feeder bus to the Green Luas Line:D. The BAD news is that it will take forever to get there. Essentially, the journey from one end to the other will resemble a cross between a horse shoe and a spider web. I can't see this being a brilliant incentive to get the denizens (as some people here once put it;)) out of their cars. This is because, yet again, speed and/or time are perhaps, the most important factors to be considered when connecting one place with another.

Mackintosh Park is well within walking distance of Bakers Corner (roughly 5 minutes). These are two points in the presently separate routes with the former being the 59 terminus. If merged, it would take a hell of a lot longer to do this stretch by public transport hence the horse shoe analogy. This will probably be the largest loop made by any of Dublin Bus's routes. Should be interesting though:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Any more info from the garages? 41 changes coming soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

does anyone know whats the deal with the howth road morning buses .. they seem to be a different timetable everyday friday i got the 8 15 32 presuming its everyday but it seems not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Dublinfan wrote: »
    does anyone know whats the deal with the howth road morning buses .. they seem to be a different timetable everyday friday i got the 8 15 32 presuming its everyday but it seems not
    the timetables on alot of bus shelters are completely different to the ones on the dublin bus website. i've been caught out a few times by this.in other words they haven't updated the new revised timetables on the shelters yet.

The timetables on the bus stops are often those from an intermediate point rather than the terminus - look at at the top of the timetable.

Hence they are different to the ones on the website which show times from the terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

the timetables on alot of bus shelters are completely different to the ones on the dublin bus website. i've been caught out a few times by this.in other words they haven't updated the new revised timetables on the shelters yet.

missed the bus turns out it did come just wasent coming up on realtime, thought it was all gps:confused:

• Advertisement

Dublinfan wrote: »
    missed the bus turns out it did come just wasent coming up on realtime, thought it was all gps:confused:

Perhaps the GPS equipment was defective?

It can happen!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement