Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Augustiner Edelstoff ok ish bit middle of the road for me.

Slightly sweet taste and Hint of hops. Would have liked a better kick but still not the worst beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

All fantastic beers with, for me, the 8 being the least remarkable.
    The unexpected star of the three was, imo, the blond - an amazingly fragrant, fruity, almost creamy blond with an incredibly long finish.

Same as that for me had all three in Bar Cambrinus (I think thats what it was called) in Brugges and the blonde was by far and a way one of the best beers i have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

To misquote that ahole Cliff Richard "It Was Only a Winter's (T)ale" but I like it. Slightly spicy and fruity with a bit of a hoppy aftertaste, worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm off to London for a week. Tasty ales in every pub for dirt cheap a-go-go!

I'm relaxing in the airport bar now with a glass of Powers, as the only exotic beer there is Paulaner and I'm just not in the mood for weissbier. And also because Powers is surprisingly smooth and drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To misquote that ahole Cliff Richard "It Was Only a Winter's (T)ale" but I like it. Slightly spicy and fruity with a bit of a hoppy aftertaste, worth a try.

Planning on trying 8Degrees' A Winter's Ale tonight.
    Will report back.
    I gotta say that the eventual name was a bit of an anticlimax :(

• Advertisement

Why should the world take notice, of one more brew that failed?

Sarky wrote: »
    Why should the world take notice, of one more brew that failed?

Hu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Trouble Brewing Or Ale and Headless Dog. Found them in the Wine Cellar in Maynooth which is just down the road from me. Don't know whether it's a good thing to have these beers at such close hand!:D

Hu?
    Words to A Winter's Tale?

Bah, my lyrical genius is wasted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sarky wrote: »
    Words to A Winter's Tale?

Bah, my lyrical genius is wasted here.

Hah, I never got past the title so didnt know the lyrics, anyway turns out its David Essex not Cliff! I can't make a reference to Fullers ales from any of cliff's tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Had a few pints of Klášter the other night. I really recommend it if you can find it.

Website here: http://www.pivovarklaster.cz/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dropped into the Magpie Inn, in Dalkey last night, and they had a decent selection of craft beers, including Hooker, 5am Saint, Sierra Nevada, Dark Arts, Blue Moon* and more. A decent selection, though the tone is a little stuffy.

Tonight, enjoying a bottle of Old Toad that a buddy gave me. I was expecting the worst, but it's actually a damn fine pilsner. Crisp, dry, tasty. Must get over to Nuremberg at some point.

* I know, not a craft beer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just trying a bottle of Curim. Not making much of an impact to be honest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Tried a bottle of Admiral's Ale last night. Very very nice.

Planning on trying 8Degrees' A Winter's Ale tonight.
    Will report back.
    I gotta say that the eventual name was a bit of an anticlimax :(

Can't say I was in love with this beer but I did finish the bottle! I just wasn't crazy about the spices used even though they were reasonably subtly used.
    Anyone else try this beer?

I did like it much more than Fran Well's Phuca which to me has tasted of far too much poor quality spice.
    However, I was drinking Fran Well's Friar Weiss last night and I have to say that it was better than ever. What ever they're doing with it at the moment, I hope they keep doing it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Been drinking Stormy Port in The Salthouse a lot lately, I just find it a nice middle of the road every day drink and it's extremely competitively priced so when I'm in a "I can't decide what to have" kinda mood I'll just go with it.

They (TSH) have O'Hara's Driud Brew on cask at the minute, might try one before I get my train this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Was at the taste of Christmas last night, and tried an Irish lager called 'Tom crean'. Really nice taste, very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Gave Brew Dog's Christmas Porter another try, on tap this time. If I brewed it myself I'd be satisfied, expect more from Brew Dog though. Not up to their usual standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Harringtons Classy Red - Really liked this beer nice sweet caramel taste then a nice hit of hops and a slightly dry bitter aftertaste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What ever they're doing with it at the moment, I hope they keep doing it!!
    Getting someone else to brew it for them ;)

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Getting someone else to brew it for them ;)
    Really?
    Who's that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's been brewed at White Gypsy for the last while, I'm told.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's been brewed at White Gypsy for the last while, I'm told.

I've always liked Friar Weiss (always different but always nice) but it just seemed particularly good on Saturday.
    WJ contract brew another cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Can't say I was in love with this beer but I did finish the bottle! I just wasn't crazy about the spices used even though they were reasonably subtly used.
    Anyone else try this beer?

I had a few small samples yesterday at the Food & Wine Christmas Show. I thought it was lovely, although I haven't tried a full bottle.

As you say the spice flavour was subtle. I much prefer a gentle spice in such a beer.

I got a 6 pack from Eight Degrees at the show - 2 Sunburnt Irish Red, 2 Howling Gales and 2 Winters Ales. I'll try and keep most of them for Xmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got a bottle of spaten munich in super value today,they has a deal on 5 for 9 but I said I'd just get the one and see If I like it or not.hope I do,there out of kombacher kristal all they have is the dark one which is rank ;'(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got a bottle of spaten munich in super value today,they has a deal on 5 for 9 but I said I'd just get the one and see If I like it or not.hope I do,there out of kombacher kristal all they have is the dark one which is rank ;'(

Not a bad beer but the head seems to go flat very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Not a bad beer but the head seems to go flat very fast

What type glass did you use? The occasional bottle pouring flat is the only complaint I have with Spaten.

Sink The Bismark!
    Dave in The Bierhaus, Cork is selling it by the shot!

I really, really liked this 'beer'. Actually tastes like an IPA only much more so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Sink The Bismark!
    Dave in The Bierhaus, Cork is selling it by the shot!

I really, really liked this 'beer'. Actually tastes like an IPA only much more so:D

I wonder did any bottles of "The End of History" ever reach these shores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Black Hawk Stout.

Now, this is my favorite beer ever! I absolutely love it. I did a search for reviews and beer advocate just gives it a B and many reviews say its just average. If this stuff is just average whats the good stuff!?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2516/1520

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement