Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beau wrote: »
    If this stuff is just average whats the good stuff!?
    Why Porterhouse Plain, of course:
    plain-goldmedal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Black Hawk Stout.

Now, this is my favorite beer ever! I absolutely love it. I did a search for reviews and beer advocate just gives it a B and many reviews say its just average. If this stuff is just average whats the good stuff!?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2516/1520
    I'd have it down as an average beer too. Nice, but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd have it down as an average beer too. Nice, but nothing special.

Fair enough so what's a better stout? I'm new to trying stuff outside the generics.

I have tried Porterhouse Plain before and don't remember thinking much about it but that was a few years ago. I'll try it again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

trackguy wrote: »
    Can't say I was in love with this beer but I did finish the bottle! I just wasn't crazy about the spices used even though they were reasonably subtly used.
    Anyone else try this beer?

I had a few small samples yesterday at the Food & Wine Christmas Show. I thought it was lovely, although I haven't tried a full bottle.

As you say the spice flavour was subtle. I much prefer a gentle spice in such a beer.

I got a 6 pack from Eight Degrees at the show - 2 Sunburnt Irish Red, 2 Howling Gales and 2 Winters Ales. I'll try and keep most of them for Xmas.

Howling Gale is lovely but pales in significance to the Porterhouse Celebration Stout.... what a drink

I had a dark ale at the Taste of Christmas but I can't bloody remember the name of it.
    It was called something porter with a cathedral on the front. Lovely stuff but a bit too cold. Needed to be taken out of the fridge earlier. Tasted similar to Old Peculier!

It's all of course a matter of personal taste, but these are some of my favourites...

Odell's Cut Throat Porter

O' Hara's Leann Follain

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Sierra Nevada Porter

Traditional Scottish Ales Glencoe Premium Wild Oat Stout

oh and... 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter and Porterhouse Plain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Cheers!

Presuming they're in Deveney's I'll give them a taste and let you know how I got on.

I'd swap out the Sierra Nevada Porter for their Stout, and add in Meantime London Porter, but otherwise I'd agree with that list.

Cheers!

Presuming they're in Deveney's I'll give them a taste and let you know how I got on.
    I got the Odell's, Anderson Valley and 8 Degrees in Drinkstore. The rest I got in Molloys, but they'd be fairly easy to get elsewhere. I'm sure you'd be able to get the lot in Deveneys.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd swap out the Sierra Nevada Porter for their Stout, and add in Meantime London Porter, but otherwise I'd agree with that list.
    SN Stout is nice, but the slightly less bitter and more sweet Porter just shades it for me.

Don't think I've tried the Meantime Porter, but I have tried their Stout which I wasn't overly enamored with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's all of course a matter of personal taste, but these are some of my favourites...

Odell's Cut Throat Porter

O' Hara's Leann Follain

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Sierra Nevada Porter

Traditional Scottish Ales Glencoe Premium Wild Oat Stout

oh and... 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter and Porterhouse Plain

The Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout is pretty damn good too.
    Not much of the coffee flavour coming through - which is a good thing as I've never tasted a coffee beer I've liked - even the Meantime coffee beer is rank!!

I wonder did any bottles of "The End of History" ever reach these shores?

Not that I know of - I'd say all 12 bottles were snapped up pretty quickly by investors/collectors. I wonder if any have been opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

The Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout is pretty damn good too.

Picked up a bottle of this in Redmond's this evening. Can't wait to open it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Celebration stout from Porterhouse. Lovely roasted malty taste and strong coffee flavour also.

Really good stout to add to the other stouts currently on the market. Perfect for a cold evening like this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevin9

dutch gold... special at tesco, was drinking bulmers n trysky last night though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

kevin9 wrote: »
    dutch gold... special at tesco, was drinking bulmers n trysky last night though :/
    GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Schofferhoffer, grabbed a few cases from Aldi :) Had a couple of Irish coffees as well tonight to help keep me warm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Siccup

Tonight it is a bottle of Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and a Great Divide Brewing Rumble. My first ever bottle from Nøgne and I'm pretty impressed.

White Gypsy Weisse in the Franciscan Well this afternoon. Tasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Flying Dog - Imperial Porter - 9.2% amazing stuff !
    Old Rasputin - Imperial Stout - 9% also a fantastic drink :)

Just tried both of these, and havent been able to stop wth them, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

black rock stout, a really great stout

All Irish beers last night (which is easier to do by the day, it seems:D):

Franciscan Well Bell Ringer - very good beer but nothing really special, imo. I have one more bottle but probably won't bother buying more at that price. Well worth trying, all the same.

Franciscan Well Shandon Century - I really like this beer and have stashed a few to drink over the next year or more.

8 Degrees' A winter's Ale - second time trying this beer - it just doesn't work for me - bordering on unpleasant. A big disappointment for me as I had great hopes for this beer what with them teaming up with Green Saffron and all. Still, it's great to see Irish micros producing seasonals.

I wonder what the next Franciscan Well offering will be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What type glass did you use? The occasional bottle pouring flat is the only complaint I have with Spaten.

A budweiser glass.poured it at an angle and the head disappeared fairly fast.

I wonder what the next Franciscan Well offering will be?
    Where can you buy bottled stuff from them? Abbot's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Franciscan Well Bell Ringer
    Franciscan Well Shandon Century
    8 Degrees' A winter's Ale -

I'll try the Bell Ringer tomorrow night - looking forward to it.
    I thought the Shandon Centry was excellent, I just wish I got more than I did!
    I'm very surprised you didn't like the 8 Degrees Winter's Ale - I really liked it and I'm going back for more.

The 'Well itself is probably your best bet.

[Mobilerrific double post]

I got mine in Bradley's North Main Street.
    As BN said, The Well will have it and, yes, The Abbot's have it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Been a brown ale sort of week! Sierra Nevada's Tumbler and Monteiths Dopple Bock Winter Ale, both very nice beers, I've also, surprisingly, enjoying Brooklyn's brown ale, served at about 10c it's really nice, not much taste at all when cold though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Is bell ringer available in Dublin?

The Bull & Castle will have some (you can reserve here). Redmond's will be getting it, and I'd say DrinkStore will be too.

Edit: Baggot Street Wines just tweeted to say they have some too.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    The 'Well itself is probably your best bet.
    Right, I thought though they only sold it by the pint? Just what it's looked like when I've been in there
    I got mine in Bradley's North Main Street.
    As BN said, The Well will have it and, yes, The Abbot's have it too.
    Yeah I was expecting that they might have it.
    Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement