Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Suitable anthem for this thread?

Going to pop into McCambridges in Galway and see if they have the Cyclone and Hurricane in stock, hoping they do, sound yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just tried Hurricane and Cyclone in the B&C. Hurricane is by far the nicest, like a beefed up Howling. Cyclone has nice aromas of tropical fruits and bubble gum which carry through to the taste, but the finish is too bitter and I think it feels over carbonated too.

Great to see different stuff like this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I know I've had it a hundred timed, but Goose Island Honker's Ale is always so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

8 Degrees Cyclone and Hurricane available in bottles in the Baggot Street Wines. Dude there said they'd be the only Dublin shop having them this week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

So a week after buying it I eventually get around to Galway Bay Full Sail.

Lovely beer. Not as hoppy as I expected but strong enough all the same.

Would live to taste a pint in draught now. I think I prefer it over O'Haras IPA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

snowblind wrote: »
    8 Degrees Cyclone and Hurricane available in bottles in the Baggot Street Wines. Dude there said they'd be the only Dublin shop having them this week....

Sounds probable. Celtic Whiskey had none this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Just finished a bottle of Liefmans Goudenband and I'm pretty much blown away. Have been keen to try a few sour beers for a good while but couldn't get them down in Cork so I ordered a bunch of lambics from thebeerclub.ie and they snuck in a bottle of this gratis. Was unimpressed by the fruit lambics and found Gueze a bit too intense, but this was just perfect, a great blend of different tastes. I'm pretty sure there's some guys from the beer club on here, so big thanks for the excellent recommendation!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's a shame we don't get plain Rodenbach here. It's another nicely balanced medium-sour beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Anything that they have at Hilden! Heading up in the morning, and can't wait. The club will have a presence there too if anyone's interested.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HILDEN-BEER-AND-MUSIC-FESTIVAL/140798002606644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Carry Out on Bandon Road(Cork).
    EDIT: I couldn't wait until tonight to try the cyclone. It's very very good, but I preferred hurricane.

Picked up a bottle of Hurricane and Cyclone each and also stocked up on some more HG and Knockmealdown. New beers chilling in the fridge, feet up, movie, snacks and supping a HG...Friday night bliss :)

Edit: there's a great selection of beers in the carry out. Saw a few of the Brewdog beers there, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Had the pleasure to sample my first tripel karmeliet there this evening.
    Have to say it was lovely, a blonde, quite sweet, fantastic aroma, loads of flavour but toward the end of the glass the sweetness was almost too much and you wouldnt really be angling for a second go of it straight afterward.
    It'll be on my shopping list for the next spin to Belgium to be sure!

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Hurricane and Cyclone each and also stocked up on some more HG and Knockmealdown. New beers chilling in the fridge, feet up, movie, snacks and supping a HG...Friday night bliss :)

Edit: there's a great selection of beers in the carry out. Saw a few of the Brewdog beers there, any recommendations?

I picked up a few brewdogs yesterday as well. This evening I tried the electric ipa(very good) and the mashtag brown ale(superb).
    I've got a bottle of their isle of Arran in the fridge for tomorrow night.

In L.Mulligans last night and had Thornbridge Chiron in draught.
    There's no more left me and my mate had the last of the keg.

I loved it another great beer from Thornbridge. Jaipur will be on tap tomorrow I was told. May need to go again but think the OH will not be impressed.

After the Chiron ran out I moved onto Sabotage draught. Was really good also just as nice as the bottles.

Metalman has competition now when I go there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

ciaran76 wrote: »
    In L.Mulligans last night and had Thornbridge Chiron in draught.

I found this fairly unremarkable when I had it last week.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's a shame we don't get plain Rodenbach here. It's another nicely balanced medium-sour beer.

Finewines in Galway stock it and Salt House has the Grand Cru.

My mate was working in Innis and Gunn last week and he picked me up a Toasted Oak IPA from the production line.

Hopefully its not too overpowering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Catching up on a few of the new Irish ones, all bottled -

Kinsale Pale Ale, really disappointed with this given the great reviews. Bottle was underfilled, had an off-taste akin to my early attempts at homebrew - like dextrose not fully fermented out. Bottle also oxegenated, papery finish to it. Had a second bottle and it was the same.

The Galway Bay Bay Ale is excellent, not my favourite style but a solid representation of it.

Full Sail - Finally a half decent hoppy IPA you can actually buy. Not a special, or a seasonal, or a festival brew. Why it took so long I have no idea. This is a totally different style of beer than Carlows 'IPA' by the way.

Buried At Sea Milk stout - as good as on draught I think.

All of these Galways beers are lacking in head, what there is doesnt last. Curiously, they dont feel undercarbonated in the mouth so it doesnt affect the flavour, just the appearance. Wonder whats going on there?

Have the Stormy Port and the new Brown Paper Bag Project also, palette is knackered I'll leave these till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Finally got around to tasting the Blonde from Donegal Brewing Company.

Very nice indeed. Hopefully the local pubs in Donegal get behind this one

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried 8 degrees Cyclone and Hurricane on tap last night. Both very nice, think I preferred the Hurricane.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

London porter. As a guinness drinker (who occasionally strays into porter house/mc grath's/belfast black territory), I'm enjoying it immensely.

any other recommendations in a similar ilk?

G rock wrote: »
    London porter. As a guinness drinker (who occasionally strays into porter house/mc grath's/belfast black territory), I'm enjoying it immensely.

any other recommendations in a similar ilk?

8 Degrees Knockmealdown & Trouble Brewing Dark Arts Porter are nice Irish porters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Don't know if its similar ilk but try
    dark arts porter by trouble brewing,
    O hara's Leann folain
    8 degrees knockmealdown
    Whitewaters cloth worthy dobbin

And to having tried all those see if you can get your hands on mikkelers beer geek breakfast and left hand brewing milk stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Thanks, have actually had the clotworthy dobbin on quite a few occasions (whitewater are the only craft bottles available in my local off license!). Is that a porter? Always reckoned it was an ale, but far from an expert on these things

Will check out all recommendations, thanks again

That's an ale alright, but I think it goes well before or after a porter or stout. Great beer, that!

G rock wrote: »
    Thanks, have actually had the clotworthy dobbin on quite a few occasions (whitewater are the only craft bottles available in my local off license!). Is that a porter? Always reckoned it was an ale, but far from an expert on these things

Will check out all recommendations, thanks again

It is a porter.
    But all porters are ales.

Ah right, ok. I'm off to Dunnes, I think I'll grab a couple anyway, it's been a while since I've had one.

Also, if you ever come across them, Sierra Nevada and Anchor both do very very good porters.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ah right, ok. I'm off to Dunnes, I think I'll grab a couple anyway, it's been a while since I've had one.

I still have 8 kindreds sitting at me.

Also got a present back from la.
    stone ruination and stone sublimely self righteous. They'll be enjoyed at a later date!:D

The local beer shop was sold out of Pliny, 30 minutes after they took delivery!:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Scortho wrote: »
    They'll be enjoyed at a later date!
    Don't leave them too long: they're best consumed fresh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement