Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had a bottle each of Galway Bay's Buried At Sea and Full Sail.

I thought Buried At Sea was a little disappointing. It had a smokey sweetness to it but the chocolate taste didn't come through as well as it does on draught.

The Full Sail had a delicious, juicy hop flavour.

One thing I noticed about both was that they had virtually no head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Must get some of these Galway bay beers, anyone seen them in Redmonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Now that the Hopplehammer cask is gone it's a choice of Metalman Pale Ale or Windjammer for me in The Abbot's or there's Jaipur on keg in The Bierhaus, Cork.
    I'm all about pale ales at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Jackhammer by Brewdog last night. Jesus Christ this beer is bitter! Way too bitter. Underneath there's a nice enough (Brewdog style) IPA, but the lasting bitterness just doesn't go away, a couple of hours later and I could still feel it in my mouth. Their blurb says that it's 200 theoretical IBUs, but also that it's actually 100 IBUs. Either way, it's way too much for a beer that hasn't turned up the sweetness to balance it, like the way a lot of US style IPAs do.

Did I mention it's too bitter?

I have one too, it was ok at the start but as I got near halfway through i started to be a little unbearable. Another **** gimmicky effort from brewdog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Now that the Hopplehammer cask is gone it's a choice of Metalman Pale Ale or Windjammer for me...

I found Windjammer to be a completely different experience on cask to what is was on keg. A great beer in both formats though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Had a bottle each of Galway Bay's Buried At Sea and Full Sail.

I thought Buried At Sea was a little disappointing. It had a smokey sweetness to it but the chocolate taste didn't come through as well as it does on draught.

The Full Sail had a delicious, juicy hop flavour.

One thing I noticed about both was that they had virtually no head.

Don't know if I was imagining it but I found the glass seemed to make a difference to the head.

I had one of each one night and again the next night with a different glass. The head was better the second night for each. Can't be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

jh79 wrote: »
    Don't know if I was imagining it but I found the glass seemed to make a difference to the head.

I had one of each one night and again the next night with a different glass. The head was better the second night for each. Can't be a coincidence.

I dunno, I had the two of them in different glasses and the head was pretty much absent in both.

I also noticed the "psst" sound was barely noticeable in both when the cap was taken off, which might suggest teething issues with the bottling/carbonation. The Full Sail was really good, though. I'll be getting it again.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I found Windjammer to be a completely different experience on cask to what is was on keg. A great beer in both formats though.

Also quite different to what it was a few years ago.
    Still good, though.

There's a keg of Windjammer sitting in the coldroom of the salt house but they can't find space for it at the minute (it's the square tapping head and they only have a few of those and they are all taken), if it doesn't get put on before I move to Dublin, I might kill someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Also quite different to what it was a few years ago.
    Still good, though.

I didn't realise they had changed it. When I tried it on cask, a couple of years ago, I thought it was quite nutty, almost mushroomy.

Then I had it again on keg in the Black Sheep and thought it just tasted like a hoppy pale ale of some description. They were worlds apart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Nelson Sauvin hops that go into Windjammer weren't as pungent this year as they were before. Not sure if they adjusted the malt bill to account for this.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I didn't realise they had changed it. When I tried it on cask, a couple of years ago, I thought it was quite nutty, almost mushroomy.

Then I had it again on keg in the Black Sheep and thought it just tasted like a hoppy pale ale of some description. They were worlds apart.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    The Nelson Sauvin hops that go into Windjammer weren't as pungent this year as they were before. Not sure if they adjusted the malt bill to account for this.

It's not the grapefruity beauty it was but it's still a really lovely beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I was also disappointed with bottles of Buried At Sea. As other have said no head. My OH commented it looked like Cola in the glass. Not a patch on the Draft.

Enjoyed the Full Sail but have never had it on draught to compare

I'll have to pick up a Burried at Sea tomorrow and check it out.

For what it's worth, my Full Sail had a small but decently laced head, I poured it pretty hard though.

And I thought the bottle was better than the draught, and I really like the draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Had a Hoppelhammer draught tonight, which I really enjoyed. Wanted to try Belfast Black draught, too, but I ran out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Victory Headwaters American Pale Ale. Very hoppy, though not in the same league as their IPAs (Hop Devil or Hop Wallop). Great taste and crisp texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just had some Hoptimum, lovely stuff. I wasn't a fan of their Torpedo, I thought they should have named it the Esther Rantzen (makes your lips peel back over your gums, stolen from the tv show Bottom).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a pint of Churchyard Bob porter on cask in Derry for an outrageous £1.40 (with CAMRA voucher).

Fantastic porter, comes out with a really thick creamy head and has a great lingering bitterness.

http://www.jdwrealale.co.uk/ales/warwickshire-churchyard-bob-714

Working my way through a bottle of 8 degrees hurricane now, fantastic stuff. I have a bottle of cyclone as well but that's for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Working my way through a bottle of 8 degrees hurricane now, fantastic stuff. I have a bottle of cyclone as well but that's for tomorrow.

Where'd you get the bottles of hurricane and cyclone? Really looking forward to trying them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had the new one from Brown Paper Bag Project last night, Boxie. It's a Golden Wheat Ale, although the style is a bit ambiguous. The ingredients are essentially the ingredients for an American Pale Ale (American Hops, American Ale Yeast) but it's brewed (or more so conditioned) with Belgian brewing techniques which makes it very similar in style to a Belgian IPA/Blonde ale, or a Saison.

I thought it was very similar to somehting you'd get from De Molen or a Belgian brewery, as it was super carbonated and it had that real Belgian feel and look to it.

Really interesting experiment, and I loved the Twitter blind tasting element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had the new one from Brown Paper Bag Project last night, Boxie. It's a Golden Wheat Ale, although the style is a bit ambiguous. The ingredients are essentially the ingredients for an American Pale Ale (American Hops, American Ale Yeast) but it's brewed (or more so conditioned) with Belgian brewing techniques which makes it very similar in style to a Belgian IPA/Blonde ale, or a Saison.

I thought it was very similar to somehting you'd get from De Molen or a Belgian brewery, as it was super carbonated and it had that real Belgian feel and look to it.

Really interesting experiment, and I loved the Twitter blind tasting element.

I think it's Doxie, isn't it? And are they Boobs on the label?

Was good craic doing the twitter too, myself and some friends did it.

I called the Cascade from early on, even the smell is distinctive, and literally as the brewers posted "grapefruit" I did too - was quite proud of that one.

For me, the best thing about it is the ABV, it's a fairly quaffable 5.4%, which is a nice change from both the Rudi and Oxman.

As it got warmer there was a bit of pepper or something, which I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had another bottle of Jameson stout last night. It's definitely different from the last batch, but I think that's down to the fact this batch has been conditioned in the bottles from longer before they went on sale than the last batch. It has a more complex flavor to it now with the whiskey and oak really being up front as opposed to coming in more smoothly and separately like the last batch. It kind of reminds me of Kindred Spirit in that regard. I think that they should be going on sale in Bradley's in Cork today, so gonna make sure that I stock well over the weekend.

Also got a pint of 8 degrees' Cyclone IPA in the Bierhaus and it's feckin' lovely and great value at €5.50 for a pint, considering it's 7%. Can't wait to try Hurricane now.

I think it's Doxie, isn't it? And are they Boobs on the label?

Was good craic doing the twitter too, myself and some friends did it.

I called the Cascade from early on, even the smell is distinctive, and literally as the brewers posted "grapefruit" I did too - was quite proud of that one.

For me, the best thing about it is the ABV, it's a fairly quaffable 5.4%, which is a nice change from both the Rudi and Oxman.

As it got warmer there was a bit of pepper or something, which I really enjoyed.

Ha, it is Doxie. They even explained where the name came from. I'm blaming the tiredness. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't wait to get that new batch FW Jameson stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ha, it is Doxie. They even explained where the name came from. I'm blaming the tiredness. :p

"Tiredness" :pac:

I didn't get to see the explanation, mind posting it here?

Is it something to do with Dr Rudi + Oxman?

"Tiredness" :pac:

I didn't get to see the explanation, mind posting it here?

Is it something to do with Dr Rudi + Oxman?

And emotionalness!.

I think they said that it was the name given to a street walker around the Docklands area in England(?). I can't find who said it though.

I like your theory though. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut wrote: »

Confirmed so.

• Advertisement

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Where'd you get the bottles of hurricane and cyclone? Really looking forward to trying them :)

Carry Out on Bandon Road(Cork).
    EDIT: I couldn't wait until tonight to try the cyclone. It's very very good, but I preferred hurricane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement