Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't leave them too long: they're best consumed fresh.

How longs too long? I was thinking a months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I regret not trying more Stone beers in L.A.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Scortho wrote: »
    I think Stone say it's not what they intended once it's three months out of the brewery. But basically it's not getting any better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The local beer shop was sold out of Pliny, 30 minutes after they took delivery!:(

Myself, the OH and a friend are visiting a pal in north California next week. We're renting a car for a couple of days to see some of the local sights. One of the priority destinations will be the Russian River brewpub in Santa Rosa. Gonna load up on Pliny.

Edit: luckily I'm not the one driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Had O'Hara's pale ale in Doyle's last night. Receipt in my pocket says I paid 5.10 at twenty past 12. Not bad for a craft pint in a city centre bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Myself, the OH and a friend are visiting a pal in north California next week. We're renting a car for a couple of days to see some of the local sights. One of the priority destinations will be the Russian River brewpub in Santa Rosa. Gonna load up on Pliny.

I was up that way over the weekend, you're also beside Petaluma which is home to Lagunita's.
    i had Pliny last week in San Francisco, ruddy good beer but dare I say over hyped. Also had Blind Pig IPA which I also think is by Russian River, that is lovely also.
    I also had a couple of beers by Moonlight Brewing; their IPA and dark lager which were nice. I also had Deschutes Hop Henge experimental IPA, not too impressed, it was very sweet tasting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had O'Hara's pale ale in Doyle's last night. Receipt in my pocket says I paid 5.10 at twenty past 12. Not bad for a craft pint in a city centre bar

Yeah, all their craft stuff is reasonable, even the bottles. Metalman was only about €5.20 when I was there about 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Yeah, all their craft stuff is reasonable, even the bottles. Metalman was only about €5.20 when I was there about 2 weeks ago.

I paid €4.80 in Wexford so that's not bad at all for Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Most American brewers would claim that their IPA's are best consumed within 2-3 months of their bottling date and that is why they give freshness dates rather than best before dates a lot of the time, they want you to enjoy it at it's best by drinking it as soon as you get it, not hoarding it.

Pick me up a bottle of Consecration? I'll reward you suitably?

• Advertisement

I tried two Sierra Nevadas tonight, that I'd never picked up before. Summerfest is a great lager, I'll remember them if we get any nice weather again. Bigfoot Ale... that one's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tyler71 wrote: »
    Just finished a bottle of Liefmans Goudenband and I'm pretty much blown away. Have been keen to try a few sour beers for a good while but couldn't get them down in Cork so I ordered a bunch of lambics from thebeerclub.ie and they snuck in a bottle of this gratis. Was unimpressed by the fruit lambics and found Gueze a bit too intense, but this was just perfect, a great blend of different tastes. I'm pretty sure there's some guys from the beer club on here, so big thanks for the excellent recommendation!

That beer is a really great introduction to the world of sour beers - a sweet and sour beauty:D
    BeerNut wrote: »
    It's a shame we don't get plain Rodenbach here. It's another nicely balanced medium-sour beer.

We get it in Cork, boy!
    Cheap as chips in The Abbot's so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Anybody know if anywhere in Ireland has anything from Bear Republic Brewing Co?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Having a Lakrids Liquorice stout right now. Really liking this, nice stout, just a little too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

This past weekend I had:

Black's Kinsale Pale Ale: very good, definitely will have again

Shepherd Neame IPA: ok, but the strong aftertaste put me off

Crew IPA: Not bad, preferred the Kinsale though, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I was delighted to see that Superquinn in Swords have a couple of the Widmer beers. Its a bit pricey at 2.60eur a bottle but when I lived in Portland Oregon I used to live on the stuff. Say what you like about how crap American "domestic" beer is but the micro brews from the Pacific North West are fantastic.

I personally recommend the Hefewiezen but the IPA is great as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in The Living Room on Cathal Brugha St last night for the football, pleasantly surprised to see Punk on tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Anybody know if anywhere in Ireland has anything from Bear Republic Brewing Co?

Have never seen it here. Would love a few bottles of Racer 5!

The Living Room's the last place I'd expect Punk IPA. Good sign of the times.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pick me up a bottle of Consecration? I'll reward you suitably?

I think I'd just drink it on the flight home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ive been calling into sweetmans more and more, their porter and pale ale are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lovely beer from The Abbot's and The Bierhaus the last few days.
    Hurricane, Cyclone, Metalman PA, Jaipur, Hommelbier all on draught.
    Gonna have an Odell's IPA with my dinner:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

It's been far too long since I've had a few drinks in the Abbot's and the Bierhaus. Have the two 8 Degrees in the fridge though, can't wait to crack them open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

adamski8 wrote: »
    Ive been calling into sweetmans more and more, their porter and pale ale are great!
    Yep, went in yesterday but they had no Porter on, so had a Pale Ale, really nice stuff.

at 4 quid a pop it's the best beer in Dublin imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Yep, went in yesterday but they had no Porter on, so had a Pale Ale, really nice stuff.

at 4 quid a pop it's the best beer in Dublin imo.

The pale ale is really fantastic

they had no Porter on
    That sound was my world falling away. There'd better be more.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is Sweetman's the place that took over from Messr's?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Their porter is indeed good. The pale ale is solid as well.

• Advertisement

I have to go to Dublin on Friday to do stupid College registration crap, looks like I'll be popping into sweetmans for a pint of their porter and some noms before getting the train home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement