Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

O'Hara's Pale Ale for me last night...pleasantly suprised I have to say, some nice hoppiness.

I think this will be a regular go-to drink for me...nice to support our own home-grown craft beer brewers.

4 for €10 in Carvilles on Camden Street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

^^^

5 for €10 in any decent Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Had a few Fyne Ales Jarl in the house, love the whole Fyne Ales range but this one is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Girlfriend at work for the night so going to be sipping on this for the night straight from The Brewery :)

One of the great things about living in Germany.

Possibly if not the best beer I have ever tasted.

682cf87aa1f511e18bb812313804a181_6.jpg

Would also recommend Le Chouffe to those who have not tried it... UNREAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ravelleman wrote: »
    ^^^

5 for €10 in any decent Tesco.

In any Tesco I've seen the O' Hara's range are no longer in the 5 for €10 offer. They are back to around €2.79 each.

So your local good offie which constantly sells them at 4 for €10 is cheaper - a sustainable offer rather than a supermarket 'special'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tesco in Lucan is still doing the 5 for €10 but the selection is muck. Practically nothing there this afternoon

Had a Nogne #500 last night. Very enjoyable.

Currently sipping a Belhaven 80 Shilling.
    I picked up a few beers in Carry Out in Ashtown yesterday and their selection appears to have improved a lot recently.
    They even had Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink the Bismark in stock!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

In any Tesco I've seen the O' Hara's range are no longer in the 5 for €10 offer. They are back to around €2.79 each.

So your local good offie which constantly sells them at 4 for €10 is cheaper - a sustainable offer rather than a supermarket 'special'.

They were still on offer in Tesco Dundrum last time I checked, although that was about 2 weeks ago. My mistake! 4 for €10 isn't bad at all anyway.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Had a few Fyne Ales Jarl in the house, love the whole Fyne Ales range but this one is my favourite.

I absolutely love Hurricane Jack, although I'm not sure if they still make it.

Just poured a bottle of Innis & Gunn Blonde. Tastes pretty much the same as the original but it has a lighter colour. Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had 3 beers last night from my recent haul. Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, Sam Adams Noble Pils & Franciscan Well Rebel Red.

The Noble was probably my favourite of the 3, the Sorachi a close second which is a disappointing result as I was expecting so much more from it. The Rebel Red was just terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I absolutely love Hurricane Jack, although I'm not sure if they still make it.

Drinkstore still have it in stock but no sign of it on their website, a seasonal perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Have a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and a Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye for tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anderson Vally Oatmeal stout. Found it too carbonated and quite sweet.

Not a bad stout all the same but rather drink a less sweet stout.

Had a Torpedo last night. I wasn't really wowed, although I think I had chilled it a little too much prior to opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Green King Strong Suffolk Vintage ale tonight.

Very nice beer, with strong malty caramel and toffee flavours and a sweetish fruity finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had Summertime by Goose Island, Snake Dog IPA and O 'Hara's IPA over the weekend.

The last time I had the O' Hara's I really didn't like it, thought it was too bitter, but I'm so glad I gave it another try. Lovely strong IPA flavors off it without the overly strong bitterness that I though it had previously.

The Snake Dog is a fine IPA also, but I think O' Hara's is much nicer.

The Summertime was very drinkable, if a little plane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Heroditas wrote: »
    Where the heck did you pick that up?!

I am lucky to live 30 minutes away from the brewery :)

On a trip in San Francisco at the moment, just picked up these. Russian River 'Row 2 Hill 56' - a nice pale ale with Simcoe hops. Good intro to hoppy beers for IPA virgins (and a nice subtle beer for IPA lovers!!). 21st Amendment Brewery 'Brew Free or Die IPA' - a little too malty for my taste but not bad.

215071.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lil_lisa wrote: »

Oh you lucky duck!
    I was there in 2008 - fantastic spot and the food was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager.

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Was in Redmonds the other day and got some Punk IPA, 5AM Saint, Hop head, celebration stout and Galway hooker.

Had a nice varied weekend's drinking

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Having Nogne Imperial India Pale Ale later tonight. Been bit bored with beers lately, need some new interesting ones to arrive in Ireland.

Has anybody tried Nogne's #100 barleywine or De Molen's Bommen and Granaten ?

As this is my last week in the US before I have to move to Prague for a year ( Love my job at the moment) I decided to try some beers I would never usually go near.

21st Amendment Brewery's Hell or HighWatermelon Wheat beer : Basically it tastes like a watermelon flavoured Jolly Rancher sweet. Quite sweet intially followed by a weird dry bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried some Greene King Abbot Ale, and some Bombardier, both on offer at ASDA.

Much prefer the Bombardier, just an all round ballsier ale.

Michelob Ultra - ultra terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Had a Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale and a Rochefort Trappistes 8 last night, two cracking beers.

Also had a Brewdog Challenger, not a cracking beer.

BridgePort Brewing 2012 Stumptown Tart
    Another beer I would never drink normally so was very surprised I liked it. I need to open my eyes more.

This is a mixed berry Belgian style ale which had a slight hint of hop and malt then the sweet taste starts tingling.

It's not over sweet and only slightly carbonated so made easier to drink.
    If you didn't want desert with your dinner this would be a perfect desert as not to filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Orval over the weekend, been meaning to trying it for a long time. Great beer.

Also had a bottle of McGrath's Irish Black from Clanconnel Brewery. Really top notch beer. I likes me sweet stouts but this was on the other end of the spectrum. A dry stout with lovely roasty flavours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Porter House Red from Tesco, delighted they're stocking it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Currently enjoying a free bottle of Odell's 5 Barrell Pale Ale. Very tasty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

lil_lisa wrote: »

On a trip in San Francisco at the moment, just picked up these. Russian River 'Row 2 Hill 56' - a nice pale ale with Simcoe hops. Good intro to hoppy beers for IPA virgins (and a nice subtle beer for IPA lovers!!). 21st Amendment Brewery 'Brew Free or Die IPA' - a little too malty for my taste but not bad.

215071.jpg

I love that bottle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement