Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

matrim wrote: »
    Yeah on tap. According to the barman it's selling well and there were a few people drinking it when I was in.

Thanks Matrim. I like Mulligans and will head in now that it has a more diverse range.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I found the bitterness of Punk to be quite harsh. I was a little disappointed really.
    Really? I found it to be the least bitter of the American-style IPAs I've tried. 5am Saint might be more your kind of thing. A lot more sweet/fruity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I find Punk a bit harsh as well. The second half of the pint is never as nice as the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

BeerNut wrote: »
    I find Punk a bit harsh as well. The second half of the pint is never as nice as the first.

Maybe you should just get a half pint next time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I usually only remember that half way through the pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I found the bitterness of Punk to be quite harsh. I was a little disappointed really.

Weird, I found it to be a very light, fruity IPA. Delicious, but not as bitter as most others I've had.

Got a bottle of O'Hara's IPA and a bottle of Curim chilling in the fridge currently, going to be daycent.

Currently drinking a Brewadog 7.7 Lager. It's lovely. Nice vanilla taste going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Anyone tried the Celt Golden Ale? From Wales as far as I can tell (well it says it on the side of the bottle). Very floral aroma and taste with a sweet edge that sorta reminds me of turkish delight. Quite an interesting flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lil_lisa wrote: »

Should be a nice break for my palette after finishing the last of this tastebud bulldozer:

214547.jpg

Where the heck did you pick that up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Have a bottle of Badger Golden Champion & St Astells Proper Job in the fridge. Anyone have experience of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

stuchyg wrote: »
    Have a bottle of Badger Golden Champion & St Astells Proper Job in the fridge. Anyone have experience of these

Had a proper job last week. Didn't find it that hoppy but was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Waitrose had this on sale in Edinburgh last week too,was delicious:

http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/ale.aspx

Any folks seen it around Dublin?

Anyone tried the Celt Golden Ale? From Wales as far as I can tell (well it says it on the side of the bottle). Very floral aroma and taste with a sweet edge that sorta reminds me of turkish delight. Quite an interesting flavor.

Yeah I've had it. I got it in a 3 bottle gift pack. There was a bronze ale and something else. They were pretty nice from what I can remember and yeah they are Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up an order from Drinkstore earlier. Should keep me going for a while! :D

DS1.jpg

Really looking forward to trying the Brooklyns and the Mikkellers. They've been on my 'to-do' list for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I'm diversifying tonight, not usually a cider drinker...

Westons 'Old Rosie Cloudy Scrumpy' ABV 7.3%

Quoted from the label...“A light, crisp and dry lightly carbonated scrumpy cider. Allowed to settle out naturally after fermentation to retain its cloudy appearance. Gently invert to ensure an even distribution of natural apple sediment.”

How can I sum up Westons Old Rosie?...Bloody lovely :D

Light, crisp, dry, lightly carbonated with a natural scrumpy taste of apples & a tangy, citrusy funk to it.

5 for €10 in Tesco's ;)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up an order from Drinkstore earlier. Should keep me going for a while! :D

DS1.jpg

Really looking forward to trying the Brooklyns and the Mikkellers. They've been on my 'to-do' list for a while now
    The Sorachi Ace is my favourite from that pic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd agree with ya there, just loses something and gets a bit weird after half a pint.

Almost always have it by halfs when I have it now.

I wish you could buy 3/2rd pints here (once bars didn't take the piss price wise) I often find myself thinking a pint is too much of some beers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

White_Wolf wrote: »
    I think it is more that you palette isn't accustomed to hops. Punk is a pretty decent IPA. More floral than anything else, kind of moved on from it myself.

I'm afraid you're wrong there. I typically stay in the pale ale and IPA section and have tried dozens and dozens of varieties. Myself and the hop are pals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I got one of the 750ml bottles while I was working in Spain and cracked it open during a match. I wouldn't say that I struggled to finish it but I found the final third a bit hard-going.

Seaneh wrote: »

I wish you could buy 3/2rd pints here (once bars didn't take the piss price wise) I often find myself thinking a pint is too much of some beers!

A stream of posts from me as I read through them all.

Your comment reminds me of this article: Calling time on the pint glass; beery tyranny - the Guardian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mongdesade wrote: »
    I'm diversifying tonight, not usually a cider drinker...

Westons 'Old Rosie Cloudy Scrumpy' ABV 7.3%

Quoted from the label...“A light, crisp and dry lightly carbonated scrumpy cider. Allowed to settle out naturally after fermentation to retain its cloudy appearance. Gently invert to ensure an even distribution of natural apple sediment.”

How can I sum up Westons Old Rosie?...Bloody lovely :D

Light, crisp, dry, lightly carbonated with a natural scrumpy taste of apples & a tangy, citrusy funk to it.

5 for €10 in Tesco's ;)
    5 what for €10? 330ml bottles? One bottle of 500ml here in NZ is 13 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

I'm afraid you're wrong there. I typically stay in the pale ale and IPA section and have tried dozens and dozens of varieties. Myself and the hop are pals.

Then I don't understand your problem with bitterness, that is in all IPA's, bitterness comes from the hops. So it's either not the bitterness that you don't like or it's the whole IPA drink full stop, IPA's have a huge amount of hops which create a lot of bitterness which your palette needs to adjust to. Pale ales are not IPA's, a lot of pale ales are less bitter and a lot more "easy drinkable".

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

KJ wrote: »
    The Sorachi Ace is my favourite from that pic

Not a big saison fan myself, but it is definitely a good saison, I would choose the Local 1 out of the group there myself.

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Then I don't understand your problem with bitterness, that is in all IPA's, bitterness comes from the hops. So it's either not the bitterness that you don't like or it's the whole IPA drink full stop, IPA's have a huge amount of hops which create a lot of bitterness which your palette needs to adjust to. Pale ales are not IPA's, a lot of pale ales are less bitter and a lot more "easy drinkable".

This is a pretty ludicrous post. It's not a binary situation of either liking all types of bitterness (or indeed IPAs) or liking none at all. My palette is adjusted to hops - I just didn't find one variety of IPA that people rave about to be very good. Others agree with me.

There can be satisfying types of bitterness and others that appear harsher. I like the taste of dark chocolate but I don't like the taste of earwax. The same applies to varieties of ale.

As you no doubt already know, not all ales are created with the same mixes of hops. That means there can be large variations between types.

As it stands I find Punk to be harsh. Domus Aurea, a very heavily hopped Spanish IPA, I find to be quite delicious. So your point, while quite forceful, isn't the case at all.

Incidentally, I've had lots of regular pales that are a lot hoppier than IPAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »

Brooklyn Local 2 was a huge disappointment to me, nothing special at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

CiaranC wrote: »
    5 what for €10? 330ml bottles? One bottle of 500ml here in NZ is 13 dollars.

500ml bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Couple of bottles of Porter House Hop Head tonight. But have just cut my finger on the stupid ring pull top opening the first one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Couple of bottles of Porter House Hop Head tonight. But have just cut my finger on the stupid ring pull top opening the first one :(
    I've done that before too, but it was from messing with the ring pull after I'd opened it. :(

I had a Hop Head tonight too. My finger is fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Young's double chocolate stout.
    Tesco have extended their world beer 5 for 10 euro offer until mid August and seem to have added to the range.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement