Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Just drank some Thwaites Very Nutty Black. It was a lovely dark ale!
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/thwaites-very-nutty-black/103830/

Had a bottle of this last week too, very nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

This week, I will be mostly drinking...

341AF366-C5C2-4697-8EB0-809110BB84AB-14710-00001DA3381B53F9.jpg

James Boag's is an especially refreshing Tasmanian lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm actually really liking Guinness Black Lager, lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Couple bottles of Rothaus Pils tonight. Wonderful crisp refreshing stuff. I never thought I'd see it again after a trip to the Black Forest 8 years ago, but the Bierhaus/Bierhalle in Cork have been stocking it for some time now, and oh, the nostalgia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sarky wrote: »
    Couple bottles of Rothaus Pils tonight. Wonderful crisp refreshing stuff.

My favourite tipple when over with the former GF in Baden-Württemberg. Lovely stuff altogether.

:)

• Advertisement

Huh, that's exactly how I was introduced to it as well. Now if we could get Ganter Dunkel over here too I'd be set.

Tried Pumpkinhead by Shipyard last night. I was very pleasantly surprised. Usually any sweet beers I've had tend to come with a Belgian sort of heavy richness, but this one was lovely and light, with lots of interesting flavour. Would certainly drink again, multiple times.

Fuller's Black Cab Stout is very nice and smooth, one of the best stouts I've drank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Des wrote: »
    Fuller's Black Cab Stout is very nice and smooth, one of the best stouts I've drank.

Glad to hear, it is 5 for a tenner in Tesco at the moment and I took a punt on it earlier.

Is it only new?

I picked it up as part of a selection from McHugh's last week

418497_10151013556663873_32436753_n.jpg

L-R
    Fuller's Black Cab Stout,
    Williams Brothers Tayberry Ale,
    Left Hand Milk Stout,
    Horndog Barley Wine Ale,
    Williams Brothers Kelpie Seaweed Ale,
    Hogsback Traditional English Ale (TEA)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

Coors light, cos' I like my beer plain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The London Cab stout looks relatively new looking at the Fullers website
    http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=267
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/fullers-black-cab-stout-bottle/172240/

I also picked up some Young's double chocolate stout, O'Hara's Leann Follain and Young's bitter as part of the Tesco offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

iv had the Roisin and I must say i was quite impressed, will you let us know what the seaweed is like as I have seen it a few times and am curious about it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had a bottle of Shepherd Neames Kents Best Ale. I was impressed. The aromas were fantastic so I knew I was in for a good drink. A very good red ale if I'm honest. In fairness, you could argue I'm biased because I sell the stuff but I'm not shilling it. Really. ;)

I also have 2 bottles of Samuel Adams Summer Ale to drop into the fridge as well so we'll see. I liked the Noble pils, thought it had a touch of citrus about it so I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I had a bottle of Shepherd Neames Kents Best Ale. I was impressed. The aromas were fantastic so I knew I was in for a good drink. A very good red ale if I'm honest. In fairness, you could argue I'm biased because I sell the stuff but I'm not shilling it. Really. ;)

I've never had a Shepherd Naemes beer that I didn't find bland and boring. They are another one of these breweries that help confirm the rule of thumb: "Don't buy a beer if its in a clear bottle". I have found few exceptions to this rule. Can't think of any off hand. Maybe I'm prejudiced, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Rob987 wrote: »
    This week, I will be mostly drinking...

341AF366-C5C2-4697-8EB0-809110BB84AB-14710-00001DA3381B53F9.jpg

James Boag's is an especially refreshing Tasmanian lager.
    WHERE did you get Kwak!!? tried this in Amsterdam and fell in love with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

yer man! wrote: »
    WHERE did you get Kwak!!? tried this in Amsterdam and fell in love with it.

It's pretty easy to find, most good off licenses and craft beer bars stock it. Where are you based?

It's available online from www.drinkstore.ie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've never had a Shepherd Naemes beer that I didn't find bland and boring. They are another one of these breweries that help confirm the rule of thumb: "Don't buy a beer if its in a clear bottle". I have found few exceptions to this rule. Can't think of any off hand. Maybe I'm prejudiced, though.

Green King Strong Suffolk Vintage ale is an exception. I had a second try during the week and it was very nice

Also tried a bottle of Rebel Red. Nice malty caramel flavours as you'd expect from a red ale with a slight hint of bitterness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to find, most good off licenses and craft beer bars stock it. Where are you based?

It's available online from www.drinkstore.ie too.
    In Galway, just saw O'briens sell it but I think it's only in packs of 24 or something. is it the proper 8-9% stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They are another one of these breweries that help confirm the rule of thumb: "Don't buy a beer if its in a clear bottle". I have found few exceptions to this rule. Can't think of any off hand. Maybe I'm prejudiced, though.
    Generally I don't buy that notion that all beers are automatically ruined if they're put in a clear bottle, but that said, I can't really think of any I've really liked, especially the Shepherd Neames beers. But apart from SN's what other beers have I tried in clear bottles, apart from really cheap and nasty lager? So maybe it's just Shepherd Neames that's giving clear bottles a bad name?! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

yer man! wrote: »
    In Galway, just saw O'briens sell it but I think it's only in packs of 24 or something. is it the proper 8-9% stuff?

It's the proper stuff yeah. The 24 pack is probably what they sell online for delivery, they'll sell individual bottles in store.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Generally I don't buy that notion that all beers are automatically ruined if they're put in a clear bottle, but that said, I can't really think of any I've really liked, especially the Shepherd Neames beers. But apart from SN's what other beers have I tried in clear bottles, apart from really cheap and nasty lager? So maybe it's just Shepherd Neames that's giving clear bottles a bad name?! :)

I'm not suggesting that beer is automatically ruined if in a clear bottle.
    What I am suggesting is that it indicates that the marketing department of the brewery has more sway than the people actually making the beer who (one would hope) would never decide to put beer in a clear bottle. A company that puts more emphasis in its marketing than its beer is probably not going to make really great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My rule is "You can't like everything"

One a scale of putting a bottle of Budweiser up against a S/N it wouldn't be bland and boring but S/N is probably more of a commercial orientated company looking for high sale rather than trying to emulate a craft brewer with a concentration on bespoke rather than hecalitres.

Take Samuel Adams. A massive collection of beers and the majority in one coloured bottle. I'm sure you'd like some and loathe some as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Just had a nogne o imperial stout.

Not 100% sure what to think. Lovely coffee, dark chocolate and plum flavours but there is a very strong alcohol flavour too that while nice, might slightly takes away from the rest.

Definately want to give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

matrim wrote: »

Not 100% sure what to think. Lovely coffee, dark chocolate and plum flavours but there is a very strong alcohol flavour too that while nice, might slightly takes away from the rest.

Nøgne ø has some great beers, never had a bad one as of yet, their Imperial Stout is definitely a good beer, not as top notch as the Yeti from Great Divide though, that would be my fav from that I have tried.

Thinking about it, I'm heading out now to get some beers, I might get some Nøgne ø.

matrim wrote: »

The #500 is the one I keep coming back to.
    I really like the India Saison too.
    Like others, I've never had one I didn't like but they don't all seem to be remarkable enough to me to justify the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Mikkeller Cream Ale followed by an Anchor Liberty Ale.

The cream ale was very nice, really light with a big citrus aroma. It would be delicious on a hot sunny day.

On a side note, Carry out in Ashtown have seriously upped their selection lately. They have a relatively large fridge full of beer plus they've recently installed a new shelf full with beer also.
    Its great, but living across the road, I fear for my future!

Oh my, I'd almost forgotten I have a bottle of Brew Dog Tokyo downstairs.

Woo Friday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭DenMan

Had this in Sligo today. Brewed in Ireland. Very strong @5.25 Vol. Very nice and a tad bitter. Has grapefruit in it. I liked it! :D

217460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DenMan wrote: »
    Had this in Sligo today. Brewed in Ireland. Very strong @5.25 Vol. Very nice and a tad bitter. Has grapefruit in it. I liked it! :D
    It doesn't have grapefruit in it. It has hops in it that may or may not taste like grapefruit depending on your tastebuds.

Also..... it's only 5.2% but I'm guessing you hit the "5" instead of the "%" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Tried Caledonian Smooth tonight, well it's smooth-ish and quite bland got a hint of malt but it's like a 1/2 a Kilkenny.

Also reminds me of my a typical bland English bitter. Not a good one just in case people mix it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement