Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

irish_goat wrote: »
    Currently enjoying a free bottle of Odell's 5 Barrell Pale Ale. Very tasty stuff.

Sampled a couple of Odell's last night in the Brew Dock - one IPA and 90 Shilling.

Really liked the 90 Shilling, the IPA was a little too hoppy for me though.

also in the Brew Dock I'd a pint each of Galway Bay Stormy Port, which is decent enough, Dark Arts and a London Pride on Cask, which was actually very good.

Brother had a bottle of Mikkeler Jackie Brown, that was a lovely drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Abita Jockamo IPA was a standard IPA and nice with food.

Spire Draft cider : was a dark dry cider which was nice as I generally don't like cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Abita Jockamo IPA was a standard IPA and nice with food.

Spire Draft cider : was a dark dry cider which was nice as I generally don't like cider.

I'm getting beer envy from all your adventures in Atlanta! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a howling gale ale and brewdog punk ipa tonight.

The howling gale was only average but It's the first time I had the punk and it was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had a Theakston Old Peculier ale, lovely.

Also a Everard's Beacon bitter, 3.8%, nice enough.

I'm looking at an unopened bottle of Redbreast 12yo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm getting beer envy from all your adventures in Atlanta! :D

I'm home tomorrow for a month and I get so envious of all the people talking about Irish beers so the grass is always greener !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When old friends meet new friends....

DSC01761rs.jpg

DSC01762rs.jpg

The few glasses of Metalman pale ale and the half shot of Power's John Lane were so good in The Abbot's that I just had to have something extra nice when I got home.
    Funny thing is, I have a few Orval glasses but the large wine glass is my go to glass for pretty much any beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

When old friends meet new friends....

[
    The few glasses of Metalman pale ale and the half shot of Power's John Lane were so good in The Abbot's that I just had to have something extra nice when I got home.
    Funny thing is, I have a few Orval glasses but the large wine glass is my go to glass for pretty much any beer.

Ah, mouth watering pictures.

What do you think about the yellow spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

puffishoes wrote: »
    Ah, mouth watering pictures.

What do you think about the yellow spot?

I like it a lot - slightly spicy sweet and very complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Just picked up some Belfast Black, Clotworthy Dobbin, Theakston's Old Peculiar, and Deuchars IPA.

Should be good

• Advertisement

Thornbridge Halcyon. Great beer. Thornbridge really do know how to make great beer, pity that they're so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

2 Clotworthy Dobbins tonight, and Duvel and an a couple of Newcastle Brown Ales ( I know, but I have a soft spot for it bottled)

Tried an Erdinger Pikantus, 7.6% Dunkel. Horrible to be honest, best to stick with their regular Dunkel, or better yet, but Krombacher dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Shipyard export and Butte Creek Organic Pale Ale last night. Big meh to both of them. The Butte Creek was by far the nicer of the two but was only ok. The shipyard export was very bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Grayditch wrote: »
    Tried an Erdinger Pikantus, 7.6% Dunkel. Horrible to be honest, best to stick with their regular Dunkel, or better yet, but Krombacher dark.

I like Pikantus. Personally I don't like Dunkels. I had a Belfast Black this morning, at 11:30am to clear out the fridge. Now I only drank 1/3 of it. I'm not that bad to be heading into booze at 11:30am(I had it only to try it). :rolleyes:

Pikantus is nice but because of it's strength it hard to spread it across an evening because you can drink so little of it because your head is blown off you. I like it because it bridges a Wheat Beer between its world and a Dunkel world(which I'm not a fan of). I just see it as being a richer malty wheat beer but my money is waiting on Oktoberfest brew. :D

I'd love to try a Kulmbacher EKU Kulminator 28 if anybody bumps into one.

EDIT Oh yeah, I'm drinking Krombacher Pilsner this evening. Cleared out fridge especially for it. Glasses on chill as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had a Joker IPA last night - waste of a good bottle.
    I may as well have had a Carlsberg. Yuck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Anyone ever tried this, is it any good?

photo_75.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

photo_75.jpg

Had the local 2 which was ok but not worth it for the money. You can get actual belgian beers for less. Maybe it's psychological with me but I think these belgian style beers are intended more for the us domestic market because of the high price of importing beers.

photo_75.jpg

I bought a bottle of #1 & #2 recently, have tried either though.

Having a Flying Dog - Horn Dog Barley Wine at the moment. Nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Can of Punk IPA followed by a Hoegaarden.

Haven't had a Hoegaarden for about 2 years. Actually a very solid beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was at Lidl today, and they had Shepherd Neame's London Gold Rush on sale at €1.49, so I got a couple. I'm guessing it's an Olympics thing, and it does seem to me to evoke London in the summer. A bit like Fuller's London Pride, dry and strongly hopped, but also fruitier. On second thoughts, not sure how well it would work if I was outside baking in the sun, but sun is not guaranteed, there or here. Getting mixed reviews on RateBeer.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

photo_75.jpg

Yeah, Local 1 is a really good beer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

bnt wrote: »
    A bit like Fuller's London Pride, dry and strongly hopped, but also fruitier. On second thoughts, not sure how well it would work if I was outside baking in the sun, but sun is not guaranteed, there or here.

I'd never consider London Pride to be a dry beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

slayerking wrote: »
    Can of Punk IPA followed by a Hoegaarden.

Haven't had a Hoegaarden for about 2 years. Actually a very solid beer!

Where did you get the punk in a can

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

stuchyg wrote: »

Drinkstore in Stoneybatter are selling it.

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Brew-Dog-Punk-IPA-Can-330ML-5060154911183/

stuchyg wrote: »

Wherever you can get punk you can probably get the can now. I know Hollands in Bray have them and DrinkStore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Wherever you can get punk you can probably get the can now. I know Hollands in Bray have them and DrinkStore.
    hollands is sold out of the cans, getting some back in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Both the Deuchars and the Old Peculiar were very tasty.

Old Peculiar gets a bit sweet towards the end though, definitely not one for a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Had a "Poacher's Choice" from Badger last night. To describe it as sweet and fruity would be an understatement; I had to check the label a couple of times to see if I was drinking berry cider.

Also had an Old Tom and a Helvick Gold, they went down well as usual.

hollands is sold out of the cans, getting some back in next week.

Possibly my fault, I bought a good few, Jay will have some in asap though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the bank holiday beer.

215880.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement