Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Having a bottle of Dark Arts this evening.
    Didn't wait long enough after taking it out of the fridge so not enjoying it a huge amount just yet. It'll improve when it warms up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

O'Haras IPA missed this alot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ciaran76 wrote: »

I love this style of beer and this beer in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭hawkhead

the bank holiday beer.

215880.jpg

There is someone committing suicide in the background

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Got a 6 pack of magic hat and 2 bottles of brewdog punk ipa. Both are delicious. My local offie just restocked

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hawkhead wrote: »
    There is someone committing suicide in the background
    heh 'fraid not, it's a sky dish's LNB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭hawkhead

heh 'fraid not, it's a sky dish's LNB :)

Phew.

I was really worried for a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nocturna

My new favourite beer's the Left Hand Brewery's Milk Stout. After picking up a few bottles at Redmonds on Ranelagh I was quite happy to find it in Against the Grain too.

A stowaway I took home from the US, Diamond Knot IPA lively hop bite and a citrus grapefruit aftertaste.
    Also get a hint of grass an smells quite sweet.

Kinda reminds me of Prohibtion Big Daddy but less strong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Salt House got Hardcore and Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop (what a mouth full!) on tap recently.

Enjoyed a pint and a half of the Southern Hemisphere, nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I'm addicted to Victory beers. Prices are on the level of SN, but the beers got more character. They should just implement the 4 for 10 offer for Victory beers and I'd be sorted...
    So, this week we'll be drinking Prima Pils and Golden Monkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Bought a couple of dark arts based on the above posts.
    Normally buy Guinness bottles so very different to what I'm used too.
    It's too cold at the moment though

Metalman Pale ale how I missed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Been keeping a beer dairy over the last few months. Some of my faves are.

Young's Bitter - Loved this. It's bottle conditioned, 4.5% and it's nice and refreshing

Hopping Hare - From Badger Ale(I love everything they brew) Had it over in the uk. It's trice hopped. Nice and zingy and refreshing.

Rekorderig Peach and Apricot cider - A woman's drink but very tasty!

Brewers Dark - Brewed in Manchester by J.W. Lee. Lovely dark Ale!

Honourable mentions go to

Kelpie - a seaweed ale, it was alright to taste, it made lovely batter!

2.8 Ale - Brewed by Caledonian, could drink it all day, only 2.8%

Malbrock Helles Bockbier - Very strong at 6.5%

Best name/worst taste goes to

Sheepshaggers - The Cairngorm Berwery 4.5% and tastes terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Drinking a Clotworthy Dobbin now. Distinctly meh. Not the worst beer, I just find red ales very hit and miss. This one is a miss. I'll chalk it down to my own opinion of the style though.

Drinking a Clotworthy Dobbin now. Distinctly meh. Not the worst beer, I just find red ales very hit and miss. This one is a miss. I'll chalk it down to my own opinion of the style though.

I drinking a Cotworthy Dobbin too. Not the worst. Bit tough on the plate on first mouthful. But once you get use to it it's not too bad. Quite musky. But there is much better dark ales out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I drinking a Cotworthy Dobbin too. Not the worst. Bit tough on the plate on first mouthful. But once you get use to it it's not too bad. Quite musky. But there is much better dark ales out there.

What I find off-putting about most of these kind of ales (well, the ones I don't like, obviously) is the that they generally feel very thin-bodied to me, which clashes with the strong vegetabl-y aroma. I actually found the first mouthfull the best, now I'm sticking my nose deeper into the glass and suffereing the effect I described above.

Still, not the worst I've had, but I don't think I'll be buying it again. Got a bottle of Belfast Black waiting for me which will probably be much more to my taste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a bottle of Galway Hooker and a couple of Trouble Brewing Or tonight.

First time I had the Galway Hooker in a bottle was nice but I thought the taste died off and it became a bit weak near the end, but I hadn't cooled it so that might explain it.

The Or was only ok, it wasn't bad but just didn't have anything to make it stand out. I wouldn't be pushed to try it again.

Son0vagun wrote: »

Philistines!

The Dobbin is fecking amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

matrim wrote: »
    The Or was only ok, it wasn't bad but just didn't have anything to make it stand out. I wouldn't be pushed to try it again.

I find Or incredibly hit and miss. It can be absolutely foul sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Having a Great Eastern India Pale Ale from Redchurch Brewery at the moment. Really good IPA , maybe not as good as Odell's but better than SN Torpedo imo. Have been really impressed by this brewery, have had their Pale Ale also, looking forward to more from them.

I also managed to get a Dogfish Head 90 minute at the Great British Beer Festival the other day. I don't know when to drink it because when I do it'll be gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Recent trip to Redmond's:
    Delirium Red, hated it. I had three sips, and actually gagged on the third (tmi? :P) I wish I had researched it before I bought it as I hated the only other fruit beer I've had too (leffe ruby). Odell 90 Shilling was wonderful, like every one of their beers I've had, as was Goose Island Nut Brown.
    Also recently I tried and enjoyed Kwak, and 3 Monts.
    I also managed to get a Dogfish Head 90 minute at the Great British Beer Festival the other day. I don't know when to drink it because when I do it'll be gone
    As it's a hoppy beer, keeping it too long isn't good for it. I had the same dilemma with my last bottle of the stuff. Drink it and enjoy it.

Just drank some Thwaites Very Nutty Black. It was a lovely dark ale!
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/thwaites-very-nutty-black/103830/

I also managed to get a Dogfish Head 90 minute at the Great British Beer Festival the other day. I don't know when to drink it because when I do it'll be gone :(

With IPA's it's best drink them as young as possible, that's why they come with freshness dates a lot of the time.

They only lose aroma and flavour as they age, enjoy it now while it's as good as it's going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Seaneh wrote: »
    With IPA's it's best drink them as young as possible, that's why they come with freshness dates a lot of the time.

They only lose aroma and flavour as they age, enjoy it now while it's as good as it's going to be.

Just to add to Seaneh's point, granted Dogfish Head beers are difficult to get in Ireland, they are readily available elsewhere, they've been available here before but were stopped so they could supply the US market better, they'll be here again as the company is growing rapidly, enjoy the beer now, there'll be another 90 minute.

Also, I'm not really one for cellaring beer, its made to be drank, I have a bottle of Life and Limb (Dogfish and Sierra Nevada) and a few Westvleteren 12s put away, aside from that I enjoy them when I get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Gavroche - nice, subtle French beer, a change of pace from the hop/syrup bombs I've been drinking lately! Dry, malty, just enough bitterness to balance the sweetness, and doesn't taste like 8.5%. And I don't usually mention or notice the head much, but it has an amazing thick fluffy white head that springs up instantly and actually lasts!

Flying Dog Winter Ale - to drown the Irish summer sorrows. A bit underwhelming, but drinkable (it's beer, right? ;)) Nice malt-sweet-bitter balance, but flavour dies off quickly, wouldn't rush back for another.

Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne's Carraig Dubh - very nice, dry, bitter, no-nonsense porter/stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Why cant I post a new thread in this forum?
    Anyway I recently drank a bottle of Bundaberg ginger beer. It is only 0.5% alcohol but was so refreshing. Perfect on a hot day or with a picnic. Any idea where it can be got?
    Apologies for intruding on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 latte2010

8 degrees sunburnt irish ale. Think its brewed in ballyhoura actually. Lovely stuff.

• Advertisement

Why cant I post a new thread in this forum?
    Anyway I recently drank a bottle of Bundaberg ginger beer. It is only 0.5% alcohol but was so refreshing. Perfect on a hot day or with a picnic. Any idea where it can be got?
    Apologies for intruding on this thread.

I've seen it in dunnes before, been a while though. I don't know if they still do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement