Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

People all around the midlands are watching ash fall as we speak:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

People all around the midlands are watching ash fall as we speak:eek:

Maybe that's a good sign - if it all falls to the ground perhaps planes can fly again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

All Ryanair flights in Northern Europe have been cancelled up to Monday lunchtime.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-expects-current-flight-cancellations-to-continue
    Ryanair, today (Fri 16th April) confirmed that based on current meteorological forecasts, and the continuing emission of volcanic ash into the atmosphere over Iceland, it has decided to cancel all scheduled flights to/from the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Northern France, Northern Germany, Poland and the Baltic States until 1300hrs on Mon 19 April. This advice is based on the current stable weather trends which continue to blow potentially dangerous volcanic ash across the British Isles, Scandinavia and the Northern European coastline.

This decision has been taken by Ryanair in order to allow passengers to apply for a full refund or rebook onto flights operating later next week, when Ryanair hopes that improved weather conditions may allow normal flight services to resume. Ryanair is anxious to give intending passengers as much information as possible, as far in advance as possible, to allow them to make alternative arrangements. Ryanair continues to post regular flight information updates on the flight information page on www.ryanair.com. The latest Met forecast for the effected area at 0600hrs on 17th April shows the extensive scale of the area effected by this volcanic ash (see attached).

I've a flight with Aer Lingus on Sunday and I think I'd rather know what's happening sooner rather than later ala Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It isn't a normal volcano erruption - it's all part of America's plan to take over the world!

I swear!

Jim Corr told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

LookingFor wrote: »
    All Ryanair flights in Northern Europe have been cancelled up to Monday lunchtime.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-expects-current-flight-cancellations-to-continue

I've a flight with Aer Lingus on Sunday and I think I'd rather know what's happening sooner rather than later ala Ryanair.

they are cancelled till sunday 1pm according to the news on today fm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Same here. My flight is very early tomorrow morning, and I'd rather just be told it was cancelled now and forget about it than go all the way out to Heathrow on the bloody Tube just to be told to go back home. Or worse, wait around hours to then be told it's cancelled, or delayed by ten hours. At this point, I'd just rather change to next weekend or get a total refund but the call centre is jammers and the website won't let me rebook unless they cancel the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Fecking passport office nearly derailed my holiday now this..... arghhhhhhh.

Supposed to be heading off to Japan on monday:mad::mad::mad:

My flight is still listed as 'on time' for 9am tomorrow morning. Why the hell do Aer Lingus always do this? I'm trying to study for my bloody finals and complete a project and checking the website every hour is really getting on my t*ts now. At least if there was a definitive 'you're going nowhere' like with Ryanair, I could just accept I'm staying here for the weekend and adjust things accordingly. I'm sure they have a very good idea of whether the flight is going or not.

I think that's an error, they've confirmed cancellations up to 1pm tomorrow.
    IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Same here. My flight is very early tomorrow morning, and I'd rather just be told it was cancelled now and forget about it than go all the way out to Heathrow on the bloody Tube just to be told to go back home. Or worse, wait around hours to then be told it's cancelled, or delayed by ten hours. At this point, I'd just rather change to next weekend or get a total refund but the call centre is jammers and the website won't let me rebook unless they cancel the flight.

Yeah, that's kind of my sentiment. I'd rather be able to make a decision now and kill the suspense, but you can't until they cancel without incurring large-ish fees. It'd also give people with flights Sat/Sun a better chance at rebooking for a flight earlier rather than later (since they'd all have the same amount of notice).

Aer Lingus have? Why is their goddamn useless website still telling me I'm flying on time then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

This has to be those americans testing their tectonic god weapons!

Aer Lingus have? Why is their goddamn useless website still telling me I'm flying on time then?

Where are you flying to?

Their website's terrible though. They didn't update their advisory today until well into the day and I'd say their flights database is all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Seems Ryanair are airing on the side of caution and have extended their no fly zone til 13:00 Monday. My flight Thursday was cancelled, My new flight for tomorrow was cancelled so my new one is 4pm Monday..... third times a charm :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

This advice is based on the current stable weather trends which continue to blow potentially dangerous volcanic ash across the British Isles, Scandinavia and the Northern European coastline.

Fume! Snarl! etc! But wait...from the RTE news site:
    Met Éireann's Evelyn Cusack says high pressure has pushed the plume east and it never came over Ireland.

That's all right then.

As you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

vangoz wrote: »

Here, the Pet shop boys have a plan......

(Together) We will go our way
    (Together) We will leave someday
    (Together) Your hand in my hands
    (Together) We will make our plans

(Together) We will fly so high
    (Together) Tell all our friends goodbye
    (Together) We will start life new
    (Together) This is what we'll do

(Go West) Life is peaceful there
    (Go West) In the open air
    (Go West) Where the skies are blue
    (Go West) This is what we're gonna do

(Go West, this is what we're gonna do, Go West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

URGH this is so infuriating. It's incredibly frustrating having to just wait and see. Really, really hope Saturday morning flights are OK. I only have 24 hours now at home as it is.
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    This is sickening, stuck in Munich, paying for hotel. I was returning from Holiday and now all my remaining money is going :(

Looks like Munich will end up getting closed down now later on as cloud comes down here. I'm scheduled to fly back tomorrow morning to Cork, not sure what the chances of that are now.
    vangoz wrote: »

My flight is still listed as 'on time' for 9am tomorrow morning. Why the hell do Aer Lingus always do this? I'm trying to study for my bloody finals and complete a project and checking the website every hour is really getting on my t*ts now. At least if there was a definitive 'you're going nowhere' like with Ryanair, I could just accept I'm staying here for the weekend and adjust things accordingly. I'm sure they have a very good idea of whether the flight is going or not.

Calm down lads,Calm down

Dont Blow your top!!

/gets light jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Can't wait for the conspiracy theorys saying it was the Americans with their weather controlling devices :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The Shtig wrote: »
    Can't wait for the conspiracy theorys saying it was the Americans with their weather controlling devices :P

They're at it already...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884806

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Yeah, that's kind of my sentiment. I'd rather be able to make a decision now and kill the suspense, but you can't until they cancel without incurring large-ish fees. It'd also give people with flights Sat/Sun a better chance at rebooking for a flight earlier rather than later (since they'd all have the same amount of notice).

apologies bit of a typo going on there more than likely they will follow ryanair and cancel till 1pm monday.
    alot of this has to do with forecasting most people who dont work/have knowledge in the aviation biz think that the staff just go home some do, but alot do the planning in the background planning contingencies etc making sure the staff are in the right place for when it lifts.

Finally got confirmation of cancellation. It's a f**king sh*t situation because it's so unprecedented and unpredictable - I don't know now if I should book for next weekend, or if it's going to be more of the same. I was really looking forward to seeing the family but can't face another week of uncertainty and plan changing. At least now I'm in my own home, don't want to end up stuck in an airport or stranded over in Ireland. Just so effing typical. One of these days, something is going to go right for me and when that happens I'll probably have a heart attack from the shock.

/moan
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Im cancelled as well tomorrow, expected. So is Sunday I guess.

Next flight is Tuesday.

I'm guessing even if planes can fly again, there is such a back log that it may take a week to get back to normality. I'm sure higher priority flights will go first as well?? Anyone have any insight into this.

Im wondering if I have to rebook or ask for a refund tonight from Aer Lingus, or if I can do it in the next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Im cancelled as well tomorrow, expected. So is Sunday I guess.

Next flight is Tuesday.

I'm guessing even if planes can fly again, there is such a back log that it may take a week to get back to normality. I'm sure higher priority flights will go first as well?? Anyone have any insight into this.

Who are ya flying with? Im with Ryanair and they have nothing going anywhere til at least 13:00 Monday, I would imagine Aer Lingus are doing the same.... Irish Times say that your airline should refund your for expenses incurred here so have you not been able to get vouchers from yoru airline to stay in the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

I don't know if this has been posted already (sorry if it has), but this is pretty cool.

Who are ya flying with? Im with Ryanair and they have nothing going anywhere til at least 13:00 Monday, I would imagine Aer Lingus are doing the same.... Irish Times say that your airline should refund your for expenses incurred here so have you not been able to get vouchers from yoru airline to stay in the hotel?
    I'm with Aerlingus. They say nothing about funding you while you stay here, only that you get money back or transfer. Only some airlines seem to be giving vouchers...I must check further with Aerlingus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm with ya. I'm sitting here pressing refresh every 5 minutes. I'm flying Aer Lingus to London at 5pm tomorrow and then London to Wellington with Emirates at 10pm. I know they are both going to be cancelled but I can't re-book the flights until they make it official.

I spoke to the travel agent and the London-Dubai leg of my journey is already booked up until Thursday so I think I'm going to be about a week delated getting home.

It's ridiculous. I know the airlines don't have control over a volcano but at least they could make it easier by being more transparent and easier to reach. Emirates weren't answering their phones today but luckily I had booked through a travel agent so they will do the rearranging for me.

So, I'm sitting in on a Friday night, which was meant to be my last night in Dublin and I was going out on a mad one. Now I'm on my laptop waiting for emirates to say my flight is cancelled and pressing refresh every few monutes so I can call emitrates and get on the earliest flight possible.

Grrrrr!

I would have thought Emirates be fair. They lovely airline to fly with. I'm only after coming back from Dubai with them to Munich and stuck here.

Best luck with your travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I would have thought Emirates be fair. They lovely airline to fly with. I'm only after coming back from Dubai with them to Munich and stuck here.

Best luck with your travels.

Yesh, Emirates shouldn't be too bad but there was no way I was getting through on the phone today. There are 5 flights to Dubai a day and I'm on the 5th one. They have already cancelled the first three for tomorrow so I'm expecting them to cancel the other two this evening. Once they do I'll be straight on the phone. Unfortunately, because I've already done the first leg of my journey (from Wellington to London) I can't cancel and get a refund so I'll have to sit it out.

I feel bad for people like you that are stuck in random places. At least I'm home in my parents house so I'll be ok. I've already let work know too although I've no annual leave left after being home in Ireland for 3 weeks. I'm going to ask can I use my sick leave because this is a force majeure type of thing. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Just got a text from Aer Lingus that they have 'no option but to cancel my flight'. An hour after it was due to take off. Thanks Aer Lingus, that's really, really useful to me. I'd already changed it twice anyway! Why bother texting at all?

Advertisement