Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unless there is another major eruption, it should be mostly gone by then.

Another one?

It is still spewing ash and has been constantly since whenever it started on Wednesday. Ignoring the mini eruption back in March, the last time that volcanoe went up it lasted for two years, it didn't disrupt air travel that time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Is it too early to make Iceland jokes? Or should we wait till the dust has settled!

*Grabs Coat*

Don't think we'll erupt with laughter at that one....
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

AdrianII wrote: »
    im travelling in three weeks time.
    Is there reason for me to be concerned or will it have blown over by then???

I'm stuck in Amsterdam I hope it wont blow over before the money runs out anyway :D:D:D

robinph wrote: »
    Another one?

It is still spewing ash and has been constantly since whenever it started on Wednesday. Ignoring the mini eruption back in March, the last time that volcanoe went up it lasted for two years, it didn't disrupt air travel that time though.

A small eruption will only result in the ash going into the lower atmosphere and being "rained out" fairly close to the volcano, a major one like last weeks put the ash much higher up and therefore it's been caught in the upper atmosphere and spreads much further before dropping.

Chances are that in previous eruptions the ash went north and avoided European airports, so we didn't notice the disruptions. Trans atlantic flights would have had to have used an alternative route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I don't think there were planes when it last erupted

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I don't think there were planes when it last erupted

:o:D
    Perhaps I should rephrase that... In previous eruptions at other volcanos in Iceland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Is it sort of disturbing that I keep on thinking of this in context of this event?

Even more freaky when you take into Account that Sigur Ros are Icelandic as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

A small eruption will only result in the ash going into the lower atmosphere and being "rained out" fairly close to the volcano, a major one like last weeks put the ash much higher up and therefore it's been caught in the upper atmosphere and spreads much further before dropping.
    I don't think you get that it is still erupting. It's not just an instantaneous explosion. And they have no way of predicting when it is going to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Seifer wrote: »
    I don't think you get that it is still erupting. It's not just an instantaneous explosion. And they have no way of predicting when it is going to stop.

This.
    If you check the webcams, there is no sign of reduced activity.
    I'm a Hungarian working in Galway, just travelled home 2 weeks ago for holiday, it would be over tomorrow - my flight back is already cancelled.
    Good thing is, I can work from home and I have my laptop with me... question is when I will have a chance to fly back?
    Trains/ferry would not be an option from this distance even IF they were not already 200% overbooked.
    So, I'm stranded. Eating my mom's food :P and in much, much better weather too.... thanks, dear Volcano :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is a lot of volcanoes in Iceland, but from a quick glance at a few of the pages here the recent eruptions of any of them seem to be under water, under a glacier or not particularly explosive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Last this this same volcano erupted (1821), it lasted for more then a year.
    Needless to say, air traffic :) was not impacted at that time....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

If the sister volcano erupts they said the airports could be closed for up to 6 months :eek: If i miss my holiday to Spain in July I will most likely kill someone :rolleyes: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

US pop star Whitney Houston was forced to take a car ferry from Britain to Ireland for a concert after her flight was cancelled.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8626505.stm

....just ask her to take a quick spin in a plane when she's here and have her snort up the dust as she goes. Given the amount she's gone through over the years, a volcano would be no bother to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Aer Lingus has cancelled their flights for tomorrow (including mine :P).

Just when I finished packing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Nodin wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8626505.stm

....just ask her to take a quick spin in a plane when she's here and have her snort up the dust as she goes. Given the amount she's gone through over the years, a volcano would be no bother to her.

how cruel but funny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crackola

if anyone has rebooked their flights trough the aer lingus website please let me know, it keeps referring me to the helpdesk which is of course closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Sure it could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

Does anybody know if Ryanair, when rebooking due to the volcano, lets you choose any date in future, or only in near future, ie. a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

crackola wrote: »
    if anyone has rebooked their flights trough the aer lingus website please let me know, it keeps referring me to the helpdesk which is of course closed
    I had no problems rebooking this morning but then I rebooked to Thursday which is a bit off. Maybe you trying to book tomorrow or Monday where it unlikely things will have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Plane-spotting

One crazy plane spotted near Amsterdam.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

EDIT: It 's KLM705 - it just changed course

Heading back towards Netherlands from NW

EDIT2 WTF now it is heading SW

EDIT now NE - must be some test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

kevin12345 wrote: »
    If the sister volcano erupts they said the airports could be closed for up to 6 months :eek: If i miss my holiday to Spain in July I will most likely kill someone :rolleyes: :pac:

Eh try a 5 week trip to Africa at the end of June. Two weeks of which is a field course element i need to graduate from my Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

kevin12345 wrote: »

Sure wouldn't ya have just as much o' the craic on Bettystown beach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I saw a propeller craft up at a low altitude earlier.

Apparently a small craft has crashed in the UK injuring 2 people. Of course it might not relate to ash...

edit - oh dear. the report is the 2 people have been killed :|

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Blueboyd wrote: »
    Plane-spotting

Wasn't it a KLM jet that flew into the ash cloud in Alaska, and the plane aged 50 years in 10 minutes? Crazy Netherlanders :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

I actually saw a small propeller plane doing air acrobatics this morning above Ireland's Eye. Normally they'd have no chance of doing this as this is exactly on airliners' landing path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

My mum sent me he opinion of the events in Iceland: "Gaia rules!!" And if you know your Greek mythology you'll know who she's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The volcano ash god?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

Blueboyd wrote: »
    Plane-spotting

Is this the test flight that is being mentioned in the media ?? The Dutch government are running them, I think

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100417/tuk-uk-britain-airports-fa6b408.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

my brother's flight to abu dhabi (to go to oz) is likely to be cancelled on monday with the volcano erupting even more now.

CRAP!!! i'm going to be stuck with him for longer now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

This is looking really bad...

Had a flight booked to Seville for this morning, rebooked for Tuesday morning. From what I can tell it looks likely that this will be cancelled too, am I correct in assuming this?

Advertisement