Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

it's not looking good for tomorrow the IAA has closed Irish aeropace untill 11 am local,updates are made every six hours by the VAAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Latest from Aerlingus.ie:

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Services/disruption_1504.jsp?P_OID=0&Category=3

All remaining scheduled flights departing and arriving at Dublin, Cork, Shannon, Belfast, London Heathrow and Gatwick Airports have been cancelled today Thursday 15 April 2010.

Tomorrow, Friday 16 April 2010, all UK and European flights scheduled to depart Dublin, Cork, Shannon, Belfast, London Gatwick and Heathrow up to 13:00 have been cancelled. Flights from Ireland to the US are expected to operate with delays, with the exception of flight EI 111 from Shannon to New York which has been cancelled.

The following transatlantic flights are scheduled to operate on Friday 16th April:
    Flight Departure Destination
    EI 105 Dublin New York
    EI 133 Dublin/Shannon Boston
    EI 125 Dublin Chicago
    EI 137 Dublin Boston
    EI 109 Dublin New York
    Customers holding confirmed reservations on the above transatlantic flights are asked to arrive at the airport on time for check-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Is there any way to do longer term forecasting for this volcano?

I mean, do we even know if it's still erupting?

Are we only going to know day-to-day how things are looking? What if this thing keeps erupting? Apparently these things can last days or weeks or more, even. The forecast for airflow over the next week or so isn't really changing, if anything it'll drag air more directly from Iceland over us from the start of next week :|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Not a chemcontrail in sight, almost certainly the first time this has happened in my life!

LookingFor wrote: »
    Is there any way to do longer term forecasting for this volcano?

I mean, do we even know if it's still erupting?

Are we only going to know day-to-day how things are looking? What if this thing keeps erupting? Apparently these things can last days or weeks or more, even. The forecast for airflow over the next week or so isn't really changing, if anything it'll drag air more directly from Iceland over us from the start of next week :|

most forecasting in aviation is done every 6hours and aerodrome(airport) weather every hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well that is the stag party in Berlin completely dicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Well that is the stag party in Berlin completely dicked!

What you on about, the stag party is great.... even though I'm the only one of the eight of us here. That'll teach me for going a day earlier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Where's Iceland again?

I can't even pronounce the name of the volcano

Ey-ja-f-jalla-jö-kull.

I laugh at the newsreaders trying to pronounce that.

Will pop this here too:
    19:53 The National Emergency Response Coordinating Committee has said it is unlikely that aircraft will be able to move in Irish airspace for the next two to three days.

Department of Transport assistant secretary Maurice Mullen the said although aircraft had been grounded until 11am tomorrow, he was not expecting any movement in Irish airspace.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/transportupdates.html

And for good measure, the UK flight ban's been extended to 1pm tomorrow at the earliest.

http://www.nats.co.uk/
    We will review further Met Office information and at 0230 (UK time) tomorrow we will advise the arrangements that will be in place through to 1800 (UK time) tomorrow. However be aware that the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sooooooooooo.... where do air hostesses go on their nights off?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

McGowans in Phibsborough will be hopping tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

jumpguy wrote: »
    They're closing in Northern France, and I don't think it's for another while yet. At this stage, most flights in Northern Europe, and Western Europe have been grounded.

Hopefully the cloud is over the country enough for a spectacular red sunset.

And all the Eurostar trains to the UK are booked out so it looks like I'm stuck here in France.

Balls to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

cork airport hotel for the more stranded exotic creatures:pac:

kelle wrote: »
    It could have been this

The same happened in Ireland about 15 years ago but I can't find a source! I remember it so well because I was getting in the car to go to school and we were curious about the red powder on the car.
    I was in college so it would have been 98-02 sometime. I remember hearing on the radio it was ash from Iceland.

Maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm in Krakow and was due to depart for Dublin on Saturday evening. I reckon theres feck all chance of that happening at all since the cloud is moving in this direction.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm in Krakow and was due to depart for Dublin on Saturday evening. I reckon theres feck all chance of that happening at all since the cloud is moving in this direction.

you can check out this linky to keep updated there updated every six hours
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano.html

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

Up here in Dot.FI

The whole airspace of the country is now closed. No flights in or out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We only found out about this eruption a few hours ago. Any word on whether travel insurance agencies are classing this as "adverse weather" or "natural disaster"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We only found out about this eruption a few hours ago. Any word on whether travel insurance agencies are classing this as "adverse weather" or "natural disaster"?

'Act of God' i've heard a few say on TV.

• Advertisement

Most of the male ones go to the George.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Most of the male ones go to the George.

haha exactly the reason that i didn't ask cabin crew!

haha exactly the reason that i didn't ask cabin crew!

I still bet they like it when you call them air hostesses though :P

AlcoholicA wrote: »

Actually they really are quite amazing! But the ash cloud shown in the satellite isn't anywhere near Ireland.

the airlines normally can use AOG the one i worked for use to as for insurance companies dont they cover that hence the reason why people get travel insurance.

there will be another sigmet forcast(x treme weather) at midnight that should have an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If anyone is wondering how to pronounce the na,e of the volcano here it is.

Found on wikipedia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull.ogg

Even with that i still cant pronounce it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

"Dear iceland,
    We said please send 'cash'.
    Yours sincerely,
    Ireland"

...ok I robbed the joke from youtube comment

Cork and Shannon have had restrictions lifted:

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=861
    The Irish Aviation Authority has announced that it is lifting restrictions, with immediate effect, on flights to and from the State airports at Cork and Shannon and some of the regional airports.

However, as the latest reports from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre in London indicate that the ash cloud is still over the east coast, the restrictions will remain in force at Dublin airport until, at least, 11 am on Friday, 16th April. Restrictions also remain in force in large parts of the UK and Northern Europe.

This decision is based on the predicted path of the ash plume which shows a move to the east and south of Ireland. This will allow transatlantic flights and internal flights to take off and land at Shannon.

Mr. Donie Mooney, Director of Operations at the Irish Aviation Authority said that the Authority is satisfied that it is safe to fly to and from the State airports/regional airports on the western coast.

"We will continue to closely monitor the weather and once it is safe to fly into the east coast we will lift the restrictions at Dublin Airport when it is deemed safe to do so. We advise anybody booked on flights tomorrow to check with their airlines on a regular basis.

"Our priority is the safety of the pilots, crews and passengers on all flights. So we will not lift restrictions until we are satisfied that it is 100% safe to fly," he said.

The IAA will provide an update on the restrictions after 11 am on Friday, 16th April 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I know you shouldn't take volcanic ash personally, but I'm p*ssed off. I had 6 people coming from the UK tomorrow for my Dad's surprise birthday :mad:

Advertisement