Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

mojesius wrote: »
    I know you shouldn't take volcanic ash personally, but I'm p*ssed off. I had 6 people coming from the UK tomorrow for my Dad's surprise birthday :mad:

we could go, a surprise to you and your dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

we could go, a surprise to you and your dad!

Aww that's sweet, thank you. I don't think the catering budget will stretch to cover all of boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭emo72

I know you shouldn't take volcanic ash personally, but I'm p*ssed off. I had 6 people coming from the UK tomorrow for my Dad's surprise birthday :mad:

mate, youve every right to be pissed off. but theres not a lot anyone can do. i know its hard but try and let it pass over you. such is life, once
    everyone has their health, well, thats good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

"Dear iceland,
    We said please send 'cash'.
    Yours sincerely,
    Ireland"

...ok I robbed the joke from youtube comment

:D Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Is there any way they could get the ferry this late?

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »

Nah, they tried everything, even flying out Sat as the party's not until that night but it's all booked up. They really made the effort, which makes it more disappointing. We're going to book flights for dad to go over to see them in June. Ample time for the cloud to clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Aww that's sweet, thank you. I don't think the catering budget will stretch to cover all of boards.ie

you could bring him to the AH drinks on saturday night!!
    emo72 wrote: »
    mate, youve every right to be pissed off. but theres not a lot anyone can do. i know its hard but try and let it pass over you. such is life, once
    everyone has their health, well, thats good enough.

there was a woman on newstalk earlier today complaining of the lack of notice about all the cancellations from the flights. while everyone else was taking it in their stride, which is as much as they can do, this one was bitter as hell. as one texter said, did she expect the volcano to text her and let her know when it was ready to explode.
    brummytom wrote: »

the ferry companies in dublin are having their busiest day in over 20 years. although not too sure about what it's like from britain to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

there was a woman on newstalk earlier today complaining of the lack of notice about all the cancellations from the flights. while everyone else was taking it in their stride, which is as much as they can do, this one was bitter as hell. as one texter said, did she expect the volcano to text her and let her know when it was ready to explode.

the ferry companies in dublin are having their busiest day in over 20 years. although not too sure about what it's like from britain to ireland.[/QUOTE]

i heard that the eurostar train was charging something like £460 paris-london

Yeah, I was actually going to go to that before I realised the dates clashed. You can't win them all. Did you see thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mHZgP9vkc guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Peter Griffin doesn't look so stupid now with his volcano insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What are the Icelandic government doing about it? Could they not throw a big wet towel over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

It's my aunts surprise 70th birthday tonight in Manchester and three other aunts are supposed to fly from dublin to manchester earlier, as well as one of their husbands and two kids. Two of the aunts ended up on a ferry to hollyhead, the one with the husband and kids booked flights out of belfast intl for friday morning at 8 or so (looks like that was a waste of time)

To top it all off my dad and his brother were surprising all of them by going over on a flight from belfast to liverpool at 12:15 on friday and returning on saturday afternoon to dublin. They told everyone they couldn't go because they have a boxing tournament in my town sat night, but I was able to get them flights over and back so they could make the tournament and also not miss work on thursday.

damn you eidur gudjonson and whoever else is famous from iceland...kerry katona, and one of the nolans???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Sigur Ros. Bjork. A big volcano.

Well thanks a f*ckload, Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The latest charts from the UK Volcanic Ash Advisory Centry show a giant stork over Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:mad:And to think Iceland wants to join the E.U, they should never be allowed to Join after what they have just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

URGH this is so infuriating. It's incredibly frustrating having to just wait and see. Really, really hope Saturday morning flights are OK. I only have 24 hours now at home as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This is sickening, stuck in Munich, paying for hotel. I was returning from Holiday and now all my remaining money is going :(

Looks like Munich will end up getting closed down now later on as cloud comes down here. I'm scheduled to fly back tomorrow morning to Cork, not sure what the chances of that are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The ash is moving East but very slowly.
    According to current projections which you can view here, it looks like it will still be an issue across Europe tomorrow, but Ireland should be ok for transatlantic flights

I was due to fly out of Manchester yesterday at 4.20pm, we were in Leeds, luckily we booked the Ferry from Hollyhead to Dublin so after 2 long spins and a ferry trip we got back to Cork at 9.30 last night. 12 hours travelling and we counted ourselves very fortunate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Question: I've been waiting for postal items from England.
    What's the normal method of transport of standard delivery post from Britain to Ireland, boat or air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If we all stopped moaning and start blowing west, then maybe we can send them back their cloud...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Biggins wrote: »
    Question: I've been waiting for postal items from England.
    What's the normal methods of transport of post from Britain to Ireland, boat or air?
    it depends biggins some goes by air but the majority of post/parcels goes by ferry in private courier companies anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

From RTE.ie:

"12.03 British comedy actor and writer John Cleese took a €3,800 taxi ride from Oslo to Brussels after becoming stranded, the Norwegian TV2 broadcaster has reported.

'We checked every option, but there were no boats and no train tickets available.

'That's when my fabulous assistant determined the easiest thing would be to take a taxi,' Mr Cleese told the broadcaster in a telephone interview.

12.24 We here at RTÉ.ie have done our maths (courtesy of a Google search) and it seems it would take a vehicle travelling 55km/h about 12.3 hours to travel the 1,084km from Oslo to Brussels. We are sure Mr Cleese's jokes would have made the trip seem a lot shorter!"

Brilliant!

Dave6195 wrote: »
    From RTE.ie:

"12.03 British comedy actor and writer John Cleese took a €3,800 taxi ride from Oslo to Brussels after becoming stranded, the Norwegian TV2 broadcaster has reported.

'We checked every option, but there were no boats and no train tickets available.

'That's when my fabulous assistant determined the easiest thing would be to take a taxi,' Mr Cleese told the broadcaster in a telephone interview.

12.24 We here at RTÉ.ie have done our maths (courtesy of a Google search) and it seems it would take a vehicle travelling 55km/h about 12.3 hours to travel the 1,084km from Oslo to Brussels. We are sure Mr Cleese's jokes would have made the trip seem a lot shorter!"

Brilliant!
    Why didnt he just purchase a car!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dave6195 wrote: »
    From RTE.ie:

Brilliant!

Thats one happy taxi driver for the day!
    Prob' in money and in laughs! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

We are sure Mr Cleese's jokes would have made the trip seem a lot shorter!"

This might have been true back in the days when he was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I'd have sacked his lazy assistant. Could have saved almost €3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Webmonkey wrote: »
    This is sickening, stuck in Munich, paying for hotel. I was returning from Holiday and now all my remaining money is going :(
    You could always try the hostels if things get tight, they're not nearly as bad as people think, I'd always try to stay in a hostel even if I'm getting a single room it's better craic than any hotel.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    You could always try the hostels if things get tight, they're not nearly as bad as people think, I'd always try to stay in a hostel even if I'm getting a single room it's better craic than any hotel.
    Yeah might be idea. I wouldn't mind but I often come here for Work paid...the one time I here on Holidays this happens! Only reason I flew from Munich to Thailand in first place was I was supposed to be working here in Munich but that got canceled until first week May now. How depressing haha

Advertisement