Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sky News doing a great job covering it at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I bet Jim Corr has a theory on this already.

Jim? Come in Jim. You there Jim? It's me, AnonoBoy!

Somebody might need to shine the Corr light into the night sky to get his attention.

The Corr-Light is a picture of a woman who looks alot like his sister. He'd be along in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

kraggy wrote: »
    The dots might appear to be hitting each other but aircraft are separated vertically. i.e. one is at 25,000 ft, another at 27,000 ft.

Plus, them sites are just for fun. Not accurate at all. They don't have access to radar feed from most countries.

Sarcasm fail. :p I find those websites pretty amazing. They're not spot on, but pretty damn accurate. So handy when I'm picking someone up after a transatlantic flight, I used to have to assume it'd be on time but now I can check exactly where it is and how long until arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Sarcasm fail. :p I find those websites pretty amazing. They're not spot on, but pretty damn accurate. So handy when I'm picking someone up after a transatlantic flight, I used to have to assume it'd be on time but now I can check exactly where it is and how long until arrival.

there is an actual time delay on what you see for obvious reasons, as for them hitting into each other they are separated by whats known as RVSM (reduced vertical separation minimun) 1000ft.
    the youtube clip gives you some insight into what happens an aircraft if flown into ash clouds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrNuY2qXWhI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

there is an actual time delay on what you see for obvious reasons, as for them hitting into each other they are separated by whats known as RVSM (reduced vertical separation minimun) 1000ft.

I know. Obviously. :confused: There I was thinking the planes just swerved when they saw another one coming.

My point is, it's still pretty damn accurate. The estimated arrival times are often spot on and you have a very good idea of where the plane is if it's flying over land. I can check when the plane actually took off, where it is and the estimated arrival time without having to ring around checking. It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than not knowing if the plane even took off on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

lol... Sky News - have they talked about the possibility of a nuclear winter yet? Stoking the fear-fires?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Fianna Fail had something to do with, to increase the prices of Air Lingus flights, to stop people leaving the country, to keep house prices high.

Thats what I heard anyway.

Or something to do with keeping foddinurs out of the country, or something.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

seamus wrote: »
    We won't see any effect until dinner time (that's 6pm for you culchies).

so true:pac:

im havin my dinner in an hour:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

They saying could take days now. I need to make sure Ive enough monez to survive here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Tomorrows The Sun headline....
    Cloudmagedden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

ocokev wrote: »
    Cloudmagedden.

Volca-noooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ocokev wrote: »
    Cloudmagedden.

More likely

Jordan & Peter - He lied about our babies super cancer aids scandal.

Volcano in Iceland yadda yadda yadda

BOOBS ON PAGE 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Oh how I was mocked when I purchased that Volcano insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

M5 wrote: »
    Anyone know what direction the cloud is heading?

Also is it due to clear Ireland by tomorrow evening?

Due to fly back from Poland tomorrow evening into Dublin

It may leave Ireland but it might be over in Poland afterwards. I'd check local reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Never work with kids, animals, or drunken Scotsmen at 08:45am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This will have cleared up by the weekend, right?

I've a flight to the UK on Sunday. It should be alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Im getting married in Las Vegas next Tuesday. A big group of us were supposed to be flying out tomorrow morning. Trip of a lifetime. Flight cancelled! I hate volcanos:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bally8 wrote: »
    Im getting married in Las Vegas next Tuesday. A big group of us were supposed to be flying out tomorrow morning. Trip of a lifetime. Flight cancelled! I hate volcanos:mad:

Balls. Hopefully you'll get out by Saturday or Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Might go to the pub tonight and listen to all who have become volcano experts during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Will normal flight service resume by next Wednesday? I'm flying Shannon to JFK that afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I am visiting a friend in teh UK at the mo, was supposed to come home this evening and im flying out of bristol, flights all cancelled, none tomorrow so soonest I can get home is Saturday morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That really sucks & sorry to hear. The airline should refund if they can't get you out tomorrow which seems very likely, the hotels etc probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Airports in France closing now. I thought this wasn't meant to affect so far south.

LookingFor wrote: »
    Airports in France closing now. I thought this wasn't meant to affect so far south.

I think the conspiracy theorists and 'end of the world is nigh' crowd are probably creaming themselves over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Latest predictions show most of north-western Europe being affected:
    http://metoffice.com/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271331761.png

You might be in luck if you are going Aer Lingus direct

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0415/travel.html

Aer Lingus says all UK and European flights scheduled to depart Dublin, Cork, Shannon, Belfast, London Gatwick and Heathrow up to 1pm have been cancelled.

Flights from Ireland to the US are expected to operate with delays, with the exception of flight EI 111 from Shannon to New York which has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i really really really wish that the taxi drivers, baggage handlers, and whoever else at the airports likes a strike planned it for today. just for general ironic amusement!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They're closing in Northern France, and I don't think it's for another while yet. At this stage, most flights in Northern Europe, and Western Europe have been grounded.

Hopefully the cloud is over the country enough for a spectacular red sunset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Morlar wrote: »
    That really sucks & sorry to hear. The airline should refund if they can't get you out tomorrow which seems very likely, the hotels etc probably won't.

Just off the phone with the airline (continental) they have re-booked us for Saturday morning. Total relief!! Fingers crossed the airports open tomorrow so our plane can come over from Newark to collect us. Rang the hotel too, they were lovely. Cancelled our room for tomorrow night and only charged us $10 for it. I really need to get there on Saturday as the next available flight is Monday. We have been planning this trip for nearly 2 years:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Morlar wrote: »
    You might be in luck if you are going Aer Lingus direct

Came on to post that update. I'm supposed to be flying to Boston tomorrow afternoon so hopefully it will still go ahead

Advertisement