Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

volcanic ash from Iceland heading towards europe with airports expected to be closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That was me last night. I was just constantly checking to see if my flights had been officially cancelled.

I was speakig to the travel agent yesterday but they couldn't do anything about it until emirates oficially cancelled my flight. Now that emirates have I can't get through to the travel agent. I am hoping it is just because they open at 10am on saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Your agent may be very busy :| I'd say it's a bit of boon for them at the moment arranging alternatives for people.

Also what happens to your return flight? If your outbound flight is cancelled I assume you can get a refund on your return too?

LookingFor wrote: »
    If your flight's cancelled you rebook on a later flight or get a refund.

I have doubts they'll put on any extra services once they can resume flights. So basically flights will be jam packed for a while.

This is also why I'd like early notice...so I can make alternative arrangements ASAP.

Does anyone know if a change of flight in these circumstances is entirely free? Or is only the change fee waived? If the latter I'm screwed, cos they seem to be upping their prices on flights next week.

I'm pretty sure the fare difference is waived too. There's details on the (crappy) Aer Lingus update.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah aerlingus allow change, but the next flights are Tuesday and Thursday now. Sure as anything Tuesday will be cancelled as well.

British Airways has cancelled shorthaul flights through to Monday morning at the earliest.

C'mon aer lingus, just cancel my flight...

• Advertisement

British Airways has cancelled shorthaul flights through to Monday morning at the earliest.

C'mon aer lingus, just cancel my flight...
    Yeah its annoying they won't just say it cancelled. Least Ryan air said no flights until Monday.

I'm sorted accomodation wise anyways, moving To Nurnberg (50 euro train trip) and found hotel for 4 nights for 150 euro. Think I'll just stay here, no point trying to book flights again tomorrow, monday etc as we'll have same story then I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

According to an expert on the TV this could go on for another week minimum.:mad:

Mister men wrote: »
    According to an expert on the TV this could go on for another week minimum.:mad:
    I'm scheduled back in Munich first week of May so I nearly might as well just stay here if that the case!

I got the last seat on the emirates flight on Wednesday. Otherwise the next one is Sunday, with a 24 hour wait in Dubai.

I have a feeling Wednesday will be a no go as well. If so, I'm going to try cancel my flights and go via the states. I'll just have to get myself to LA or San Fran to get an Air NZ flight.

I'm feeling really upset now but at least I'm at home and don't have to pay for a hotel or anything. Just feel awful though. I've no real idea when I'm going to get home, I've no leave left at work so I won't get paid for and days I miss and I have an assigment due for college that I had to email my supervisor and tell her I have no idea when i will be back to complete and submit it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Anybody here stuck in Rome?!

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    I got the last seat on the emirates flight on Wednesday. Otherwise the next one is Sunday, with a 24 hour wait in Dubai.

I have a feeling Wednesday will be a no go as well. If so, I'm going to try cancel my flights and go via the states. I'll just have to get myself to LA or San Fran to get an Air NZ flight.

I'm feeling really upset now but at least I'm at home and don't have to pay for a hotel or anything. Just feel awful though. I've no real idea when I'm going to get home, I've no leave left at work so I won't get paid for and days I miss and I have an assigment due for college that I had to email my supervisor and tell her I have no idea when i will be back to complete and submit it. :(
    Similar problems myself. I've a big presentation in front of a review board next week. I cannot concentrate or prepare here as all my stuff is at home. I'm hoping I"ll just miss it now.
    rte.ie wrote:
    11.38 Iceland's Meteorological Office has said the winds blowing the cloud to Europe will continue in the same direction for at least two days and could go on until the middle of next week.

Could well miss it alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Anybody here stuck in Rome?!

No but i would say you should do whatever the romans do:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 crackola

Trying to rebook a transatlantic flight but when i enter the details aer lingus says 'contact the helpdesk' the helpdesk doesnt open at the weekends, any one have any ideas what to do?

ok, sourced my back up plan and I could get to Wellington via NY and LA for €900. That's a lot more than I paid to come over but I'll do it if my emirates flight doesn't go on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Where are you and what direction were you looking - roughly E-SE I guess.

Did kpatrick delete that post? Here's a photo I took yesterday from my back yard at sunset, facing West - southwest

I've just given up. Have the feeling this will go on for at least another week and I'd rather just accept that I'm going nowhere than have another week waiting for Aer Lingus to cancel so I can rebook, and repeat and repeat and repeat. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

By all accounts the volcano is still blowing ash, unlike cheryl......

rte.ie wrote:
    13.05 Speaking after the latest meeting of the Government Task Force on Emergency Planning, Evelyn Cusack of Met Éireann said the weather forecast indicates that the current situation with the volcanic ash cloud may remain unchanged up to the end of next week.

She said their latest forecast models indicate no change until next Friday at the earliest.

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

kelle wrote: »
    Did kpatrick delete that post? Here's a photo I took yesterday from my back yard at sunset, facing West - southwest

Interestingly, I took one last evening as well…

• Advertisement

NATS has extended the UK ban til 0700 tomorrow at earliest.

Unsurprising - the latest advisory from the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre is quite bad.

I've accepted that Tuesday will probably be the same story so rebooked flight for Thursday. My flight only goes 3 days a week :( New eruptions...can't see this going away for a long time to be honest.

Irish airspace ban extended to 1pm tomorrow. Next revision at 11am tomorrow.

Again, not surprised...the forecasts are bad right now!

Irish airspace ban extended to 1pm tomorrow. Next revision at 11am tomorrow.

Again, not surprised...the forecasts are bad right now!
    We should all get trains and meet up and have a Stranded in Europe Boards Beers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

im travelling in three weeks time.
    Is there reason for me to be concerned or will it have blown over by then???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bet they wish they'd built that tunnel from dublin to holyhead in like 1890 now, dont they!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

AdrianII wrote: »
    im travelling in three weeks time.
    Is there reason for me to be concerned or will it have blown over by then???

Unless there is another major eruption, it should be mostly gone by then.

If the sister one erupts we screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

selekta wrote: »
    Interestingly, I took one last evening as well…

was that pic taken from the north dub area?

Advertisement