Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those 'Oh God, I'm an Idiot' moments.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My own Boards related 'I'm an idiot' moment.
    That bit under people's post-counts, where it says Adverts Friends
    I thought that meant the person was a moderator of the 'Adverts' and 'Friends' forums. Until I realised they don't exist. And that everyone probably isn't a moderator. And that all moderators probably don't mod the same two forums. Took me about a year to notice all this. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

I fell for an employment scam.

I'm such an idiot...(in the words of John Lennon) "but I'm not the only one".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

So today I was talking to my mother about my aunt recently breaking her toe and somehow we got into a conversation about feet and balance when I say "Sure it doesn't matter if you lose your baby toe, people lose them all the time". My mom sick laughing at this and me not getting it, she asked me to name one person I know without a baby toe. Of course right before I thought about it I come out with " Sure Chandler from Friends lost his baby toe!"

At least I make people laugh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

The last idiot moment i had was the other week. I left my TV on and had drifted off to sleep. My dad came in to turn it off and i sat up in my bed and asked 'what about the children?'

He said it was a very strange moment. I don't have any children.

My mum is a good one for the idiot moments.

She asked me and my dad 'what date does new years fall on?'. She had a few glasses of wine on her but still she wanted to know if it was the same each year(thinking of easter i suppose)

She was down in a forest in wicklow having a bbq with friends. She got a call from a friend on her mobile.She was quite surprised and asked her how she knew she was there.The joys of technology!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Posy wrote: »
    My own Boards related 'I'm an idiot' moment.
    That bit under people's post-counts, where it says Adverts Friends
    I thought that meant the person was a moderator of the 'Adverts' and 'Friends' forums. Until I realised they don't exist. And that everyone probably isn't a moderator. And that all moderators probably don't mod the same two forums. Took me about a year to notice all this. :o

I've only just found the "Go to first new post" button.

Trying to find what was the end of a thread the last time I read it had me grumbling away to myself like a mad one about the lack of it.

I'm an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

oh god, you're all idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Driving to a wedding in Scotland and asking a policeman the right road for Greencock Morton? He kindly told me it was Greenock. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

I was with my friend once and I was complaining about my Dad for some stupid reason for about five minutes in this big rant. Then I asked him if he ever has those moments with his Dad. He replied
    'My Dad's dead'
    FACEPALM.
    What makes it worse is that I have made similar mistakes with the same person about 6 or 7 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Following on from a conversation about iPods and stuff.....

Friend: Did you know there's an apple factory in Cork?
    Me: You're such an eejit.......

THEY'RE CALLED ORCHARDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

The most recent one would have to be while on the tills in work, shouting at the queue 'do you have a clubcard?' instead of 'next please'. Oh god the embarrassment, the queue was really long and there was loads of people and managers on tills ughh..

Supervalue???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Attempting to brush my teeth with my girlfriends facewash one morning, i nearly puked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I was at a festival and I was walking through the crowds with 2 friends. Suddenly I saw what, in my tipsy state, I thought was my friend Dave coming towards us, all dressed up, so I jumped out in front of him, rubbed his arms in a matey sort of way, held out my arms for a hug and said something like, "Hey Dave, you look great!"

The bloke looked at me a bit confused and I realised that it wasn't Dave, it was some random person who just looked exactly like him. I was embarrassed cos my friends were watching so I just pretended that I hadn't said Dave, I pretended that I had just stopped a randomer because he looked cool and I wanted to compliment him on his outfit. So I tried to recover by being like, "Oh yeah just wanted to say your outfit is cool," before hurrying away, hoping that my friends hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I was at a festival and I was walking through the crowds with 2 friends. Suddenly I saw what, in my tipsy state, I thought was my friend Dave coming towards us, all dressed up, so I jumped out in front of him, rubbed his arms in a matey sort of way, held out my arms for a hug and said something like, "Hey Dave, you look great!"

The bloke looked at me a bit confused and I realised that it wasn't Dave, it was some random person who just looked exactly like him. I was embarrassed cos my friends were watching so I just pretended that I hadn't said Dave, I pretended that I had just stopped a randomer because he looked cool and I wanted to compliment him on his outfit. So I tried to recover by being like, "Oh yeah just wanted to say your outfit is cool," before hurrying away, hoping that my friends hadn't noticed.
    My name is Paul for the record, and I thought you were just being friendly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Was watching a documentary about deaf children with my boyfriend. He turns around to me halfway through and says "I wonder how they learn to read if they're deaf from birth?" Me being a fool replies "Sure they use braille don't they?"

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

A long time ago, I was moving away (from the UK, to here) and changing schools. (It was in 5th class I think); My friends/classmates were signing a card for me, and so in French class my teacher asked me to go and find the german teacher and ask her for something. The evil bitch didn't ask me to get a 'long stand' or something like that though, she told me to ask the german teacher for a 'fallopian tube'. And i actually did it. Thank god the german teacher didn't have a class at the time. It still makes me cringe to this day just thinking about it, I swear I must've been old enough to realise what it was?
    The look on her face was of complete shock, i remember just mumbling "i think i'm on a wild goose chase" when i realised what I had done and just getting out of there as quick as I could.

Also, in my last job, A new girl and I were working on the same shelf of a bookshop. I hadn't talked to her yet so I wanted to make some small talk to get to know her better, unable to think of really what to say I wanted to ask her 'if she had done any shelving yet' (as of course, she was new.)
    Instead I asked her 'if she had done any shaving yet'.
    Needless to say the embarrassment came flooding back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

I remembered one of these moments from years ago today.

I was at a driving range and put the money into the machine, completely forgetting to put a basket under it to collect the golf balls.

They went everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I only found out yesterday that turnips and swedes are the same thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I only found out just now that turnips and swedes are the same thing. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    I only found out yesterday that turnips and swedes are the same thing :o

really i didnt know that:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Well at least I'm not alone in my ignorance :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Snap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Following on from a conversation about iPods and stuff.....

Friend: Did you know there's an apple factory in Cork?
    Me: You're such an eejit.......

THEY'RE CALLED ORCHARDS!

Maybe im mistaken here but the way i picked this up is that you think your pal was wrong..... now i mite be in for a barage of wrongness here if thats not what you meant but there is infact an apple factory/offices in Cork, its on the Northside somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

was out with a girlfriends family one day we were after having dinner and was going outside for a smoke . asked if anyone wanted a go out for a smoke and her mum did when we got outside i took a packet of condoms out of my pocket and handed them to her
    just wanted the ground to swallow me

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

I thought the prison forum was for people actually in prison

Me too, and the fact that they were all banned just made me think that they must be a complete bunch of messers on the computers in the joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I seen my uncle in his car and he shouted to say he'd park just up the road (he was at the traffic lights so couldn't stop there) i said grand and ran up the road after him and jumped into the cars passanger seat. only to look at the driver and realise i had gotten into the wrong car with a very confused looking driver. I said sorry and jumped out and looked at the car.

Not only was it the wrong make and model but completly the wrong colour too. RED v BLUE. my uncle was parked across the road pissing himself laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

The usual: ah where is my phone, WHERE IS MY PHONE?'....you are holding it!

And I can't find my glasses, and I am wearing them.

I am what is known as a dumb smart person, I have dropped some clunkers in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Last week i fed a parking meter €8. The time was stuck at 3pm and i assumed that my time would come up when i pressed the green button.

Turned out parking was free after 3pm and i wasted €7.20

Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

cut my leg a few years back and decided to put savlon on it to disinfect it....but just threw a load of it on cotton wool, never diluted it. couldn't understand why my leg broke out in a massive red itchy rash a few days later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

A couple of stories from junior infants, which make think what an idiot I was, even though it was kind of excusable at the time:

Someone in my class told me he saw the body of a whale washed up on a beach while on holidays. It took me years to figure out why he "only" saw its body and not its head as well.

My teacher use to call out a letter of the alphabet, then pick someone to name a word beginning with that letter. Once I was picked to say a word beginning with the letter 'i' and for some reason answered with "Ice Krispies", thinking that was a perfectly legitimate answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 loreanatus

I once had a Maths problem to solve at the blackboard that the teacher was reading out from the book. Quadratic equations of the sort:

x oranges and y apples cost 89p
    etc...
    how much does 1 apple and 1 orange cost?

and as I was scrawling it out in front of the class... suddenly I realised my mind had drawn a blank... Couldn't for the life of me remember how to spell "apple"..

So i scrawled as illegably as i could :
    "x oranges + y apls ..."

but the teacher called me on it.. "Come on! You know how to spell!"
    #queue the most embarrassing moment of my life...#

I still remember saying to myself "apel, appel, apul... ? Its not a-p-e-l is it?!"

Never had a problem like that before or since... Thanks SpellChecker!:pac:

Advertisement