Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

North Kildare, no snow, bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

well after waiting all winter for my snow event it came,pity it was a couple of months late,after about 12 hrs of rain it turned to snow yesterday afternoon,it pelted down was coming down sideways,4cm's were dumped in approx 2 hrs,then it turned to rain,washed all the snow away and then turned to a sleety snowy mix,if only the dp's were a fraction lower i think it would of been an amount to match the 80's,so winter's final tease has left me feeling short done by again,maybe next winter will be our normal mild one and i will see some proper snow again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrsToad

Snow, but not enough to stop me getting to work. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Don't get me started! :mad:
    Not wrote: »
    OH WOW !! woke up this morning with great excitement flung open the curtains and EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH

....road colour, grass colour, roof colour, car colour...

No SNOWmageddon in Dublin this morning :rolleyes:

If anything did fall it was indeed of the teflon variety. Now, where's me frying pan....

I know, how gutted was I. Another non event for Dublin, nice to see some people got some though. Would have been nice to have a last hurrah to winter. Still only 9 months till next winter. Lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Freezing out but no snow thank f**k :rolleyes: hopefully thats the end of that get back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

4ft drifts in NI its on sky news. In Cavan about 5 to 6 inches the worst March storm i have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Any snow thats tried to settle last nigth is long gone at lower levels, can see plenty on hills and mountains have taken a right dumping.
    Enjoy the spring everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well done to all who got snow. However, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think overall it turned out to be a lot less than people were predicting NEAR SEA LEVEL. There was plenty of snow around 100m and above which stuck (Mullingar (101m), Cavan, Monaghan, South Laois, Nort Tipp, North Kilkenny, etc), but there are plenty in the east this morning wondering where there snow is. And what happened in Northern Ireland? Aldergrove TAFs were predicting a chance of blizzards last night - all they got was light snow. Apart from Ballykelly (2m) which got 45mm in 24hrs to 7am, precipitation rates seem to have been less than the models forecast. Met Eireann's 3hr HIRLAM last night was predicting 8-12mm rates per 3 hrs in north Leinster and into Ulster - I don't think that happened? Most snow reports are from stations above 100m. Down south, Dublin Airport's (68m) TAFs didn't materialise as predicted, with just light snow there too, as was there in Casement (98m). I don't think anyone can say there was the extent of snow disruption predicted by some.

Here's the 24hr summary to 7am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well done to all who got snow. However, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I think overall it turned out to be a lot less than people were predicting NEAR SEA LEVEL. There was plenty of snow around 100m and above which stuck (Mullingar (101m), Cavan, Monaghan, South Laois, Nort Tipp, North Kilkenny, etc), but there are plenty in the east this morning wondering where there snow is. And what happened in Northern Ireland? Aldergrove TAFs were predicting a chance of blizzards last night - all they got was light snow. Apart from Ballykelly (2m) which got 45mm in 24hrs to 7am, precipitation rates seem to have been less than the models forecast. Met Eireann's 3hr HIRLAM last night was predicting 8-12mm rates per 3 hrs in north Leinster and into Ulster - I don't think that happened? Most snow reports are from stations above 100m. Down south, Dublin Airport's (68m) TAFs didn't materialise as predicted, with just light snow there too, as was there in Casement (98m). I don't think anyone can say there was the extent of snow disruption predicted by some.

Yeap Broken record!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Snowing here in mayo (Big flakes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Su Campu wrote: »

I would agree with that. There were some eminent posters here throwing about predictions that never seemed likely. No doubt they will claim that there was snow in many locations, but the widespread snow did not materialise at low levels and was never really likely to in my opinion.

Oh well, the predictions both right and wrong are what bring us all back to this place on a regualr basis so I would never criticise anyone for stating their opinion.

Yeap Broken record!
    In all my years on boards,I think I'll never understand posts like that.I was out at 4am this morning and while there were snow flakes blowing in the wind,the only cover this morning in my area is on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snowing quite heavy. Big flakes here in Donegal town .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Looks like some hefty showers coming in to us in the mid west/North west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah. Still heavy here. A day late but nice to see snaps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

haha my mum is stuck ontop of the coleraine moutain and the snow is covering the road agian. its just graupel down here but its snow up there lol... 3foot drifts.. and they wont take me up wawa!

snaps wrote: »
    Looks like some hefty showers coming in to us in the mid west/North west

yaa hopefully they keep temps down.. so snow may stay on mountain../ i wanna see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's terrible looking out this morning, the high ground around Grangegeeth in Co. Meath has lying snow on it. Looks like I was 50 metres below the snow line.

The forecasts for lying snow in Dublin were pretty wide of the mark. I had predicted less precipitation amounts along the East coast, but I predicted that it would definitely fall as snow as a result. I don't know why the temperatures stopped falling below about 1.5 - 2.0 degrees. We all make mistakes, and it shows how important different opinions are on this forum and how no one has the right to basically shout down someone else for having an opinion that doesn't "fit in" with their forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Had a few snow flurries here this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A couple of heavy snow showers this morning here too, which caused a brief covering but all gone again. Another big black shower moving in now. 5.6c :)

Edit: Heavy snow shower moving through with gusty winds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Some really big drifts of snow here, guess its just how the wind caught the snow and the lay of the land but the biggest drift of snow I have seen so far is a little above stomach level.
    Biggest drifts of snow for a number of years. Leaves the January blizzard in the shade but the snow won't last as long, then the snow in the drifts lasted upto near 3 weeks and they were smaller drifts.

Major hail storm now! visibility downh to nothing :eek::eek:

Edit: Back to snow but lighter, clearance showing up to the west :)

im gonna go walking up that hill later and im sure there is over 5 foot drifts in sheltered areas aat top[ cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sorry about the quality of the pic just snapped this from the office window
    the bluestacks do look pretty covered in snow (thankfully roads were clear this morn
    109296.jpg

owenc wrote: »
    im gonna go walking up that hill later and im sure there is over 5 foot drifts in sheltered areas aat top[ cant wait.

Take some pics if you can Owen and post them up for us all have a gander at :)

Wet snow here now - at sea level Su!!! :)

Big load of dirty stuff just moved in off the Atlantic - so anyone East of me prepare for some snow pretty soon.

I think what happened yesterday was a happy medium between all the forecasts given out by boards.ie members. Certainly I, along with a few others, were more than sceptical about promises of major disruption and full on blizzards and major storms that were promised.

My personal readings were that snow could fall on the back edge of the occlusion as it pulled away, this is what happened, but it did last a lot longer than I predicted. Darkman2 in fairness had the snow falling longer which is what happened, however Su had the snow falling as wet and undisruptive at lower levels, which is also what happened.

I was as critical of DM2's forecast as he was of mine and Su Campo's, however, all were kinda right and kinda wrong, but no big deal, it is all part of the fun. Maybe lessons have been learned to respect each others forecasts from now on and for us all to be less conflictual when forecast's disagree, instead working out various possibilities in a friendly and respectful manner.

The other way just turned nasty and personal and created division where none should have existed. Here's to the next big weather event! :)

Snowing quite heavily here again but no sign of it shtickin' :D

Snowing quite heavily here again but no sign of it shtickin' :D

According to the BBC weather, you should be snowed in by 4 O'Clock Deep! :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

How's your igloo building skills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

owenc wrote: »
    haha my mum is stuck ontop of the coleraine moutain and the snow is covering the road agian. its just graupel down here but its snow up there lol... 3foot drifts.. and they wont take me up wawa!

Yeah, because being stranded on a mountain during a blizzard is funny stuff. And you expect here to haul back down and then up and down again with you in tow?

You need to grow a new attitude, little man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement